January 7th, 2009

Morning Buzz: When we Become the News

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/POLITICS/01/06/gupta.surgeon.general/art.gupta.scrubs.cnn.jpg caption="The Obama administration approached CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta about becoming U.S. surgeon general."]

Penny Manis
AC360 Senior Producer

Anderson will be back in NYC tonight, he left Israel after the show Tuesday. We will follow the latest from Israel and Gaza, as the Israeli military announced a halt in military operations for 3 hours today to allow humanitarian aid in Gaza to reach residents who need these supplies.

This halt in military operations will be implemented every other day “in order to enable replenishing of supplies and allow aid activities” according to a spokesman from the Israeli Defense Ministry. Meanwhile, as of this writing it seems there are major efforts underway to reach a permanent cease fire, and diplomatic talks appear to be moving in the right direction.

There is some word that both sides agreed to a proposal from France and Egypt to end fighting, this proposal is centered around measures to prevent Hamas from rearming. This is all unfolding as I write, so make sure you tune in for the latest tonight! Christiane Amanpour, Ben Wedeman and Nic Robertson are still in the region and one or all will play ball in the show to give us the latest.

Presidents, past and future, meet today for lunch at the White House. This historic gathering includes President Bush, President-Elect Obama, and Jimmy Carter, Daddy George Bush, and Bill Clinton. Wouldn’t you like to be a fly on that wall? P-E Obama needs all the advice he can get as he gears up to assume office in 2 weeks.

Meanwhile, P-E Obama is promising to cut govt spending to grow the economy, as he warns that the govt deficit could hit a record high of 1-trillion dollars for several years. Today P-E Obama names a Chief Performance Office, a new position that will work to create efficiencies in the federal government.

Joe Johns will have a story on P-E Obama’s efforts to cut earmarks and make govt spending more transparent, is it possible to cut earmarks out of these mega-million and mega-billion government spending pkgs? He’ll be Keeping Them Honest.

We report the news, and every so often, journalists become the news. Chief medical correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta is being paged by the upcoming Obama Administration, he is under consideration for the post of U.S. Surgeon General. While this is not a done deal by any means, it does make for great office gossip. The water cooler talks during kitchen breaks at CNN are going to be very juicy today.

We’ve got other goodies cooking for you, tune in at 10pet, see you then!

Filed under: Penny Manis • The Buzz
  1. anne,newfoundland,canada

I will really miss Sanjay if he leaves,but it is quite an honor ff he DOES accept this post of Surgeon General.I wish him well,whatever he may decide to do.

It must be frustrating to all the journalists to be just, more or less,perched on that hill,not being able to do anything,or see anything of what is REALLY going on in this conflict.

Welcome back,Anderson,I was not expecting you back in the NYC studio so soon,but it is always good to have you home, safe and sound.

January 7, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  2. Pati Mc

Well, I am sure he is not pleased, but Anderson, I am glad that you will be back in NYC. Praying that indeed an end to conflict is at hand.

Heartfelt congratulations to Dr. Sanjay Gupta. He surely deserves this honor. Should he accept, he will surely bring great value to his office. We will see many amazing accomplishments, I feel certain.

Wow, there are tons of items cooking in that CNN kitchen, Penny. Thanks for the update. Should be a great program.

January 7, 2009 at 11:05 am |
  3. Maria_Isabel, RJ, Brazil

Good day to all!
    Good afternoon, here in Brazil!

Very sad to hear a mother asking when he saw his dead son: "What did these children?"
    Children are the greatest jewel that we can have. See them die is very cruel!

Let 's hope for the proposal of France and Egypt to end the fight will be realized and, indeed, we find peace.

Let 's hope that the President-Elect Obama will solve all the problems he will face. And there are few!

Anderson, good return!

January 7, 2009 at 10:47 am |
  4. Annie Kate

Hope that a cease-fire is coming soon for Israel and the Gaza strip. I do wonder though how anyone will keep Hamas from re-arming and causing more trouble. That is probably going to be the hardest part to enforce of any agreement that might be reached.

January 7, 2009 at 10:21 am |
  5. Michelle Fonthill,Ont

Good Morning Penny
    Glad to hear Anderson is back home in NYC tonight . He made it home safeley thank god ! Good for Dr.Gupta for being in condiseration for the surgoen general postion that 's a real kudos to him .I will miss him on CNN if he leaves.
    Thanks for the buzz
    Have a great day Michelle D.

January 7, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  6. Michelle

Kudos Team 360 for amazing reporting out of the Middle East.
    I have learned a lot from Anderson, Christiane, Nic and Ben.
    Dr Gupta has a tough decision to make.If he leaves I will miss
    him.I enjoy Fit Nation and all of his work for PIP and his medical
    reports.

January 7, 2009 at 10:07 am |
  7. Sandra Robertson, Ga.

Good morning CNN. I have a good feeling about today, and hopefully the days to come. Anderson coming home. Permanent cease fire through diplomatic means to a permanent end to the seemingly never-ending conflict within Gaza and Israel. And finally Sanja Gupta, M.D. the next Surgeon General of the U.S. (that title has a nice ring to it). He could just sign his name S.G., S.G., M.D.

January 7, 2009 at 10:02 am |
  8. Cindy

I am glad that Israel is finally allowing more aid into Gaza. I just hope that Hamas doesn't get it and not let the civilians have any of it. Seeing that no one can go in I don't see how anyone will know if they are or not.

I hope that the rumors are true and that they both are about to agree to a cease fire that keeps Hamas from rearming. That would keep these such things from happening again!

I am glad to hear of Sanjay's job offer from Obama. I think that he is the right man for the Surgeon General. He is extremely smart and a very nice man! I hope that it works out well for him. But we will miss him on CNN. And who will take his place on PIP!?

Well I guess Coop couldn't stay in Israel for ever! HMMM..guess being king of the hill isn't to his liking huh!? LOL

Cindy...Ga.