January 6th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/6/09

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on the headlines.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

If you want to take part in our Live Blog (and we hope you do) please follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Frank

Heather, Israel can solve the problem on how many people have been killed in Gaza by simply allowing news media such as CNN to report directly from the field.

January 6, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  2. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Good Tuesday evening. So much turmoil in the world tonight. It's overwhelming to hear. Stay safe, CNN Journalists and crews. Night all

January 6, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  3. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Good night Anderson, thanks to you and the crew for your fine reporting from Israel. Stay safe.

Good night Erica, good job holding down the fort!

January 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  4. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

I hope Cooper, Robertson, and the rest of the AC360 crew remain safe. I also hope that the rest of the journalists, as well as their crews, remain safe. They are the writers of history – the speakers for those who have no voice. I think we all owe them so much.

"Journalism can never be silent: that is its greatest virtue and its greatest fault. It must speak, and speak immediately, while the echoes of wonder, the claims of triumph and the signs of horror are still in the air."

January 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  5. marcartz

the nature of war is that it is ugly. during WW2 collateral damage was not an issue. we did what we had to do to win when we bombed entire cities without regards to civilians.it's unfortunate, but that;s how it is..

for all the critics of israel, put yoursel in their shoes. what would you do?

January 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  6. tracee

Anderson is right; the truth can get twisted especially when the reporters are not allowed to see what is really going on(from both sides) It makes some conclude that they are hiding something. An investigation must be conducted by the UN now!

January 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  7. Graham

I'm from Ireland, imagine for one moment that during the "troubles" in the north of Ireland England fired shells and misiles on the civilan population of Belfast killing 600 people in 11 days. What would happen? The outrage in the US and the world would be deafining. Why is Irish or american blood worth more than palestinian blood?

January 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  8. Glen Up North

And in case this should be my last chance tonight: Safe passage and return, Anderson. My thoughts are definitely with you, as well as my Israeli friends and friends working in Israel.

January 6, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  9. Adriana

Great reporting, Andeson and the crew. Please stay safe.

January 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  10. Mike, Syracuse NY

@Heather, good point. Who is doing the counting of Palestinain casualties and can they be believed?

January 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  11. Heather,ca

Mike I couldnt agree with you more!

January 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  12. Frank

With regard to Israel banning the international journalist, it is obvious that Israel is trying to hide the atrocities they are committing in Gaza.

January 6, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  13. Bea

I hope the people of Gaza are able to record on cell phones or with cameras or write down daily a diary or something. Once the place opens up, they should get that stuff to CNN and news organizations. Interviews and after event pictures won't suffice.

January 6, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  14. Sherrol in Canada

Of course both sides want the world to be sympathetic to THEIR cause.

January 6, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  15. Brandi - bottom of the boot

goodnite all. hope this gets better soon.

January 6, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  16. Maureen T

Anderson,
    once again, please stay safe and, if it is possible, please get some much needed rest! And please stay warm! 🙂 Good night dear Anderson!

January 6, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  17. Tim

The Israeli-Palestinian conflict is at its core a conflict over land and in the West Bank, property rights. This is the area which Palestinians want to be the basis of a future independent state.

January 6, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  18. Arlene Stevenson

Hamas is using civilians as shields. Why don't the Palestinians turn on them? Both sides are horribly wrong!

January 6, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  19. Mari T

Thank you for working at that time in such a place.
    Please be careful.

January 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  20. elisabeth meier

Do the people in Gaza have bunkers? and enough of them? Or is this the problem why they search for shelter in schools??

January 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  21. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

This is why Cooper rocks..Not only is he reporting on the war, he's reporting on the reporting of the war.

January 6, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  22. Mike, Syracuse NY

Hanan, the Palestinian population shelters Hamas. Even if they are not Hamas supporters, they would never turn over Hamas personnel to the hated Israelis.

January 6, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  23. Heather,ca

If you actually think the numbers that Hamas provides for the number of people killed and wounded are accurate and "honest" you are kidding yourself. Do you actually think a terrorist organization would give honest figures of how many have been killed. Its not hundreds. Maybe less than hundred. Doesnt anyone find it odd that "sources"give the figures for deaths and wounded? Hamas has mastered the propoganda machine. They lie and use children and schools and hospitals.

January 6, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  24. Jana, Indiana

Another great show and discussion by the bloggers.

Good night Anderson. Hope you and the crew stay safe and are able to get some rest. I imagine it can be hard, along with being stressful.

January 6, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  25. Mindy

@Heather, ca. –

I am praying for your friends in northern Israel. I fully understand what is at stake here for the Israelis. They have to survive and have been living under impossible conditions. But it has never been easy for Israel. Nobody wants war. But they cannot continue to let Hamas keep sending the rockets. For those who think they are primitive and do no harm, well, let's see how you would feel if one of those rockets landed in your backyard?

War is hell. There is no right or wrong. Nobody wins, but sometimes there is no choice. Israel has no choice.

January 6, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  26. Ken in NC

Congratulations to Dr Sanjay Gupta for being considered for the position in the Obama Administration. I hope he is chosen but I will miss him here on CNN.
    Stay safe Anderson and crew.

January 6, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  27. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Correction to my comment at 10:43; I meant to say that our government says that it IS done out of respect for the families. Sorry for the confusion.

January 6, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  28. David, Indiana

Brandi, I don't think the tunnels can accomodate safely a flood of people leaving Gaza. Those tunnels are being bombed, too. Re: chance for peace being a long shot. This conflict seems to me to be the most resolveable I've ever seen

January 6, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  29. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I can't say that I'm surprised by the lost dollars...No reports of lost money through the government surprise me anymore!

January 6, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  30. Adriana

@Hanan.
    That's exactly what I thought about today...This solution would have saved so many lives, isn't it? I would like to hear the reasons why nobody thought about that...

January 6, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  31. Ken in NC

WOW Anderson this is so sad in Israel and Gaza for both sides. I will not try to lay blame on who started this war but I will say it needs to stop. People can never come together as llong as they are busy killing each other.

Stay safe Anderson and crew.

January 6, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  32. Karen

I was thinking the other day about the “disproportionate” response. If people think about it (and not that I condone this, as the timing is suspicious in many ways to me) but just say Israel took the same kind of unguided missiles and lined them up, firing into Gaza willy nilly, in a “proportionate” manner. My guess is that as populated as Gaza is, and as many deaths as there have been, there would have been many MORE deaths. There really are so many sides to this coin. It is infuriating, frustrating and in no way black and white as far as who is right and who is wrong.

January 6, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  33. Joyce

If Hamas is using the women and children of the Gaza as human shields, is this not the ultimate sign of leadership totally failing its people.

January 6, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  34. Dima

Anderson, I was very excited when I found out you were going to report on the front-line of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. I hope you continue to pressure Israel to allow you to into Gaza so you can see for yourself what is really going on.
    Don't just listen to Israel's justification for attacks on civilians. As a Palestinian-American, I have faith in you Anderson that you will report the truth to the American people.

January 6, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  35. elisabeth meier

Today I saw a report with a young mother who lost her 6 month old baby dying on hunger, because she had no food for 4 days. I would like to know how good the people in Gaza strip were provided for food before this strke

January 6, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  36. johnny khoury

Israel has a history of targeting UN schools and shelters. This would not be the first time. It is part of the collective punishment that Israel is well know for.

January 6, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  37. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

With modern technology I think a lot of Americans have become numb of war and death and violence. It's everywhere – on tv, movies, games, books, music, etc.

But when AC360 reports you can feel it again. You realize the severity of war. It's painful. But it shouldn't be any other way.

Thanks AC360 for making war real again.

January 6, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  38. Mike, Syracuse NY

Those condemning Israel on here tonight need to answer one question: Does Israel have the right to exist? If you say yes, then since Hamas advocates their total destruction how can you support them?

January 6, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  39. Glen Up North

Another comment to Sam – I believe the real reason why the Hamas rockets were shown was to demonstrate exactly what it is that set Israel off into retaliation: crude weaponry that seems to have been handmade. I do agree, however, it would be enlightening to see exactly what Israel is using in terms of weaponry in its retaliation.

January 6, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  40. gadi

everyone,imagine rockets being launced from Toronto to Buffalo.Would you tolerate that?

January 6, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  41. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

That is a good point that Anderson is making about showing the funerals of the soldiers and how it is treated differently in the US. I know our government says it is not done in respect for the families, but I think it is mostly done for the same reason Hamas and the Israelis have put restrictions on the journalists covering this conflict: it is bad publicity.

January 6, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  42. Roger Allen, Southern Shores, NC

I have heard all this coverage about the questional legitimacy of the Burris appointment to the senate given the govenor's alledged illigal behavior, but I have heard almost nothing about his background or the type of senator he might be. Who is this guy and what kind of a senator would he be?

January 6, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  43. Hanan

Gaza was and still is in crisis. But that is not enough for Israel to stop .Hamas is not an army, why doesn"t Israel use their intelegence to find them, rather than killing hundreds of muslim childrens and causing more hate in the muslim world.

January 6, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  44. Eliecer, Mpls, MN

The U.S must demand a ceace fire immediately! We must show compassion for all the civilians in Gaza. I must say I feel more for the Palestinians who have for so long had their homes and property taken away from them. I hope one day in my life time i will see the world be more involve in react quickly before so many people get kill and demand peace or they need to do something , i don't care if you are with Israel or not but i am sure it has to be a way we can find a solution before so many people are kill.

January 6, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  45. Frank

It is sad to see that Israelis mourn the death of their soldiers but let's face it Israel lost 3 or 4 soldiers, how about the more than 500 Palestinians who have been killed? There has to be some justice if there is any chance for peace.

January 6, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  46. Imani from Maryland

I think its a lose lose situation...the man said they were fighting terror to keep people from but people are dying fighting...it makes no since to me...someone please explain.

January 6, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  47. Samaria - Maryland

God, I hate seeing children in that position. It's sickening. How can one bomb a school full of innocent kids? Something's wrong with Israel, this whole mess...

On Burris: I pray that the race card doesn't come out to play. Really, it's not an issue of race, and people should understand that. *sigh* Hope he's not seated; it's all foul play by B.

January 6, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  48. Sherrol in Canada

Emergency services in Isreal can be on the scene right away because unlike Gaza people are not packed in like sardines, the casualties are far less and they are better equipped to handle the crisis.

6 dead in Israel, 500+ dead in Gaza, kinda disproportionate, isn't it?

January 6, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  49. Renee

@ Jo Ann: Let's hope they are on the floor in kelvar with the mattress up against the window. It has to be SO loud over there.

January 6, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  50. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

@Sam – Cooper can only report what the Isreaeli govt. allows.

January 6, 2009 at 10:41 pm |