January 5th, 2009

Morning Buzz: Anderson in the Mideast

Smoke from shells fired by the Israeli military rises in Gaza City on Sunday.

Smoke from shells fired by the Israeli military rises in Gaza City on Sunday.

Penny Manis
AC360 Senior Producer

Anderson anchors from the Middle East tonight. He is in Israel at a live location we have set up near the border with Gaza. He flew out there over the weekend shortly after Israeli ground forces moved into Gaza.

Currently, Israeli military troops are pounding Hamas militants by land, sea and air, and the defense minister Ehud Barak says the offensive will continue until they meet their goal of “peace and tranquility for residents of Southern Israel”. Meanwhile, Hamas continues to launch rockets into Southern Israel.

More than 500 Palestinians have been killed and thousands wounded since these operations began 10 days ago and the main hospital in Gaza City is overwhelmed with wounded. A European Union team is in Egypt and plans to meet with both sides, in addition to other world leaders such as French President Nicolas Sarkozy intervening to seek a diplomatic solution to this latest fighting.

Anderson will be joined by top notch correspondents such as Christiane Amanpour, Nic Robertson, Ben Wedeman and others. If we may say so ourselves, our reporters are unrivaled in their knowledge of the region, so be sure to tune in for the latest!

This Mideast crisis is just one of the many challenges President-Elect Obama will face when he officially becomes President. He made his move to DC w/family over the weekend, and his two daughters start school today.

Meanwhile, their dad meets with Congressional leaders to hash out his economic recovery plan which aides say will cost somewhere around $700 billion, included in it among other items is $300 billion in tax cuts. Ali Velshi will tell you more about what this proposed tax cut could mean for you.

Obama is also looking for a new commerce secretary today, given that New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson withdrew his name following a fed investigation into a state contracted awarded to a campaign contributor. Richardson says he acted properly but the investigation could delay his confirmation. We’ll have more on this story tonight.

And we’ll find out if Roland Burris, the appointee to fill Barack Obama’s senate seat, tries to join Congress tomorrow. He was picked by Gov Rod Blagojevich who’s accused of trying to sell Obama’s senate seat to the highest bidder, and there is controversy looming over whether he’ll try to take a seat when the Senate reconvenes tomorrow. Dems and Repubs meet today to find a bipartisan solution to this potential political showdown.

There is a lot on our plate we will squeeze into an hour, see u at 10pet!

Filed under: Penny Manis • The Buzz
  1. Sharon Kitchen

I knew it was a matter of time before Anderson was over there.
    Stay safe.

January 5, 2009 at 1:44 pm |
  2. devor bohest

Civilians in gaza elected hamas. Should Anderson differentiate between them in his coverage?

January 5, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  3. Michelle

I know Anderson, Nic, Christiane and Team CNN will bring us
    remarkable coverage of the dangerous situation in the Middle
    East. It should also be an interesting week for the Obama family.
    I am looking forward to Jan 20th. I think we might have a president
    who is real and does what he says. America has some serious
    problems that require the best of our leaders.

January 5, 2009 at 11:12 am |
  4. Susan Lemarie

Thanks heavens for Anderson! Hopefully his reporting with help both sides see what the rest of the world thinks of this situation and get to a resolution. I pray for a safe resolution to the conflict and a safe return for all the reporters out there.

Susan Lemarie
    Fairfax, VA

January 5, 2009 at 10:57 am |
  5. Dulcie

I'm pleased to see Anderson out in the field again. I figured he'd head out as soon as he could.

Sorry to have missed Anderson and Christian this morning. I turned on American Morning, but it was probably too late in the broadcast. I'll have to look for it online.

Looking forward to seeing him broadcast live tonight. Meanwhile, back to work for me.

January 5, 2009 at 10:50 am |
  6. naira

Here I am in Cairo – Egypt watching CNN and I get up at 4am to catch 360, I feel that with more people like Anderson and Amanpour, and the objective staff of CNN, they could be the ones to solve the Middle East conflict and not the Bush administration who seem to encourage the pounding of Gaza. May I also thank everyone who works for CNN on their objectivity and fairness in their reports, they are much more precise and fair than Al Jeezira. Most Egyptians feel that Hamas is wrong, and that the arabs need to reconsider their priorities, but we also feel that their are other ways to deal with this issue other than war in Gaza and the destruction of civilian homes and mosques, churches and schools. Why all the destruction when we can live in peace and be tolerant with each other.....Naira

January 5, 2009 at 10:46 am |
  7. EJ (USA)

I saw Anderson & Amanpour this morning too. I hope that they enjoy their assignment but that they stay safe. I will admit that I am glad that reporters are not allowed in Gaza just yet.

January 5, 2009 at 10:00 am |
  8. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

I knew Anderson would probobly fly down there sooner than later too . I hope he stays safe .It lights a fire in his step .I hope he's no going to be doging bullets hiding under a car like Nic Roberston was last week . Please stop the fighting before more poeple get killed.
    God Bless Anderson ! Stay safe all the 360 crew .

Thanks for the update
    Have a great day!

January 5, 2009 at 9:49 am |
  9. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Glad to see that Anderson is doing what he does best. Great team you guys have over there. The finest and the best, bar none.

Just saw Anderson and Christiane on American Morning. What struck me most of all was that the field they were standing in looked so serene and peaceful. So odd. War surely is a quandary on so many levels.

Wishing Anderson, Christiane, Nic and Ben all the best. I will be watching.

January 5, 2009 at 9:23 am |
  10. Cindy

I had a feeling that Anderson would end up in Israel! He just can't stay away from the action can he!? LOL Every time that he interviewed Nic and Nic was dodging bombs you could see it in Coop's eyes that he wanted to be there himself instead of in the studio. I hope that he and the crew stay safe and be very careful!! And I know when he goes out in the field he doesn't sleep much so I hope he gets some rest while over there!

I think that it is sad that Israel went into Gaza to fight Hamas but really what else could they do? Hamas won't stop lobbing bombs into Israel at their citizens! I hope that the world community can get together fast and help come up with a solution to appease both sides so his fighting can stop before any more innocent people get killed.

Cindy...Ga.