January 5th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/5/09

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on the headlines.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

If you want to take part in our Live Blog (and we hope you do) please follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica tonight. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Clarence Albuquerque

How you manage to present so many varied items in your program is amazing.... Great team work.... I hope you get an Emmy or perhaps even better award for your reporting. Thanks . Good nite all

January 5, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  2. Sherrol in Canada

The Travoltas seem to not want to publicize the true nature of their son's disability. Let's give them the opportunity to keep it to themselves.

January 5, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  3. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I know this is a dangerous situation, but I think Anderson has always been the best at this type of reporting.

It is great to see that he still has the desire to want to do it! I hope he never gives it up!

January 5, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  4. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I hope the Travolta family is left alone to deal with this tragedy. I hope the media backs off.

January 5, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  5. Brandi - bottom of the boot

goodnite all, those who are far away, please be safe.

January 5, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  6. EJ (USA)

Tell Anderson to get some sleep. We all need to sleep once in a while.

January 5, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  7. Minou, New York City

Elad: and Israel did not contribute to the ongoing misery of the Palestinians? You have to take a good look at what Israel is doing to keep them living in misery. Israelis are certainly not innocent little lambs!

January 5, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  8. Carlos

Hello there, I think that the offensive attack's by Isreal is uncalled for. There are more then 200 civilians that have been killed including a number of children, compared to the handful of Isreali's that have been killed. It's really sad that were just gonna stand here and watch this happen, but hey what can we really do, right.

January 5, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  9. Mindy

@Miriam –

I second your comments about John Travolta's terrible loss. I really wish the media as a whole would just leave his family to grieve in peace. I didn't see Larry King, so I didn't realize that he already devoted his program to this tragedy.

Enough is enough! This family's grief is unimaginable. Leave them alone.

January 5, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  10. jaelle

Great job AC! We all benefit from your courageous reporting. Stay safe. I had a thought as I was watching this story. Anyone else feel a little ignorant on the detailed history/context of this conflict? Many of us know the general idea that they've been fighting for years but I think it would be interesting to see some type of time-line of events, since the beginning of this conflict of 50+ years, or is it thousands of years?. Neither side takes responsibility for their actions and it might make it easier to get past the rhetoric and finger pointing, although I appreciate your unbiased efforts.

January 5, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  11. Renee

@ Bea: The only reason why I think Isreal is one of our strongest allies is due to all the money we sent them. If Iran get out of hand we can position ourselves with troops and an air war from Iran. Also Isreals has nukes.

January 5, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  12. Sherrol in Canada

Put Madoff back in jail and keep him there. Thief!!!

January 5, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  13. Jim

All we here is about poor Israel, why doesn't someone report on what the day to day life has been like living in the \Gaza prior to this. From what I have heard Israel has bascially strangled the flow of food and medical supplies to the Gaza strip for along time prior to this latest out break of missles being launched by the Hamas. If you paint people into a corner they are left with NO choice other than to strike back. for survival. Israel has said [;enty NOW lets here the story from the other side for a change and then we can make a decision as to who really started the war.

January 5, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  14. vincent

Richardon is our gov...and most of us know that he was just "waiting" to return to DC....he did do some good things out here, especially the Roadrunner train that runs from Albq. to Santa Fe....we are glad to have him back.

Anderson & crew......always great to see you reporting from the scene, but as so many have said, please, please be careful, ALL of the reporters ....we appreciate the information but would never want to lose any of you. Great job though!!

January 5, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  15. Bea

I should note some of the land Israel now occupies was due to pushing forward in war. Perhaps they were justified but the borders are a big issue.

January 5, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  16. Jacqui Chan

The Israeli civilian death toll is so comparatively low. Of course I am glad but I have been wondering if the number is higher and perhaps the government wants to make it appear as though Israel is invincible

January 5, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  17. Sherrol in Canada

Hope being separated by campuses doesn't lead to some kind of anxiety on Malia & Sasha's part. No doubt this was a hot topic in the Obama household and they were able to dispel their daughters' fears – if any.

Hope school was great for them today....Good luck girls!!

January 5, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  18. Bea

Take a good look at a map and see what land was given to make Israel. Look at its access to water. They are definitely Jew haters out there, but there are also those who simply feel the world favored Israel in a way it should not have. Perhaps the water was to be Israel's defense in a tough area. Israel has a right to exist, but don't tell me that the Palestinians have no legitimate complaintss. Right now, they need financial support - other than Hamas. If you were hungry and someone fed you how would you feel toward them.

January 5, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  19. Amanda Walton

Stay Safe to all reporters in the danger zones–God Bless and prayers for peace

January 5, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  20. Aaron English

Do you not think it would be appropriate to also interview a resident of Ashkelon, or Sderot, or Beer Sheva, in addition to your lengthy interview with a Gazan resident? I guess their plight is old news at this point considering that the Israelis I have mentioned have been subjected to rocket and missile attacks for 7 years now.

January 5, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  21. Brandi - bottom of the boot

@curtisjo,

The loss the Travolta's are experiencing has nothing to do with Hamas or Gaza. They aren't even remotely similar.

They did not intentionally hurt their son.

Do you even know what argument you are trying to make?

January 5, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  22. Adriana

I think that both sides should stop fire, this continous killing of civilians is terrible...It looks like Hamas didn't suffer much loss, but a lot of women and children are dead and injured...Diplomacy should prevail. I know that this is an old conflict, but I am sure that solutions can be foubd, with international involvment.

January 5, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  23. Kevin C

What Israel has done to Gaza since last year is reprehensible, but right now, it's seems as if Hamas wants to be attacked. If they really care so much about the Palestinians, in the face of such overwhelming military power, why don't they surrender?

January 5, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  24. Cassie - AR

Glen –

The closest they have come to peace is under the Clinton administration in "Camp David 2000". It failed largely because the negotiation left Israel under control of Jerusalem and the Temple Mount, which is considered a holy sight for both sides.

January 5, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  25. Glen Up North

Bea, I was of the understanding the United States was one of the strongest and most involved partners in actually establishing Israel as a country, so that the Jewish people hurt by and exiled during the Holocaust could have a home of their own. I have two friends in Israel at this time, one born and raised in Israel, the other an American whose work brought him to Israel. I really hope to be able to see both when a great deal of us are scheduled to meet in NY in October. You can imagine they are in my thoughts.

January 5, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  26. EJ (USA)

Thank you everybody – for the time in Israel. : )

January 5, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  27. Riad

RENEE

It's not Hamas who's refusing journalist embedding, it's Israel-to hide the truth.

January 5, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  28. Jana, Indiana

Good night Anderson and all bloggers. Stay safe Anderson.

January 5, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  29. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

As reporters go, Nick is REALLY the hero. Is is so insightful and articulate. And he always right in the middle of what's happening. This guy is absolutely fearless.

January 5, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  30. Miriam

You have to stop with John Travolta's family. Leave them in peace. Larry King for an hour, you soon. It's horrible already. Let them grieve in private, why is this our business?

January 5, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  31. reema

Hello everyone and Anderson. As a Palestinian the Jews and Palestinians can only coexist if we remove both governments. Irrational behavior of both groups has resulted in bloodshed, genocide, murder, and the grieving of many families from both ends. End the bloodshed now and allow the people of the holy land to thrive in peace.

January 5, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  32. Minou, New York City

Awesome interview with Mr Sami! good job, Anderson and good job producers for finding this man. hope to hear more from him.

January 5, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  33. thorne wenner

How can people in Gaza tell Israelis where Hamas is firing rockets from?
    Amanpoure just reported that Israelis are dropping leaflets asking Palistinians to do just that. But that they have no electricity or cell service

January 5, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  34. Sherrol in Canada

What's needed to achieve a cease fire? What do both sides really want?

Move to the centre of the city? They are packed in like sardines. This is ridiclous.

January 5, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  35. Glen Up North

Naissa, to bring a little background on AC himself (as I understood it from interviews): AC's been drawn to conflict on the world scene ever since personal events left him feeling inner turmoil (i.e. the death of his brother): finding a way to explain and channel world situations back to the world helped him to look away from his own inner turmoil... Speaking of which, I wish you the best, Anders, with that. Hopefully you've healed a great deal since then. You definitely look great when you're chuckling away with Erica! 😉

January 5, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  36. ana

I agree with you David, too bad that no reporters are allowed in there. What about aid agencies, are there any one in Gaza right now?

January 5, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  37. Gilad

@ Ash,

The Gazans have elected the Hamas terrorist organization as their leaders, therefore the only one to blame is the Hamas. Now don't get me wrong, I am against any violence in any shape or form and my heart goes to the Palestinians for having to go through such rough times but they have elected this barbaric organization as their governing body.
    During the so-called '6 months cease-fire', it has launched hundreds of rockets into Israel making it impossible for Israelis to carry out their day-to-day lives, which as a result caused Israel to take non-violent measures (sanctions) to attempt to stop the fire. However, instead of thinking of its people who have elected them and stopping the fire, they pointed the finger at Israel and continued rearming in preparation for this offensive. For this reason, Hamas is the sole and only one to blame for this escalation and for the suffering of its people. They are simply using the people in the Gaza strip as part of their propaganda in order to promote more violence.

January 5, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  38. Eddie

@Bea. Isreal is not unable to help themselves. They have a well equiped military top off by nuclear weapons. I believe the international community and media put enough pressure on Isreal to persuade them against all out war with their neighbors.

January 5, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  39. kim-chicago

Although I understand the attack by Israel...the fact that the Palestinian people have no way out of Gaza is very disturbing.

January 5, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  40. sylvia, chicago

Mike, I am not attacking Israel or its right to exist, I am simply pointing out the double standard that is very evident in this situation (at least in my opinion)...I understand history, generation deep conflicts and hatred...all I am saying is recent history SHOULD have thought all of us a lesson...you can't cry discrimination and hate crimes then turn around and abuse your power and discriminate against others

January 5, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  41. EJ (USA)

Brandi, you are absolutely right, but that does not exempt the citizens from endangering their children by allowing Hamas to run them and their land.

CurtisJo, I thought Brandi was talking about John Travolta losing his son.

January 5, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  42. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson and Christiane reported earlier that the borders were closed and even those that want to get out cannot.

January 5, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  43. Minou, New York City

Thanks for addressing kids in the war zone. They are the most vulnerable to psychological damage. Unfortunately there's nothing done to help people psychologically at all.

January 5, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  44. Marvin

Seriously, why doesn't everyone just pull back, keep their mouths shut, and let Israel do what should've been done a long time ago. The rest of the world should stay the hell out of it. If they try to force peace the situation will just crop up again.

January 5, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  45. Glen Up North

EJ, I believe it's just about sunrise in Israel. Checking online (at ask.com ), it seems Israel is 6 hours ahead of us... meaning it is 5:43 AM there at the time I'm writing this. Wow, Anders... my suggestions are lots of antioxidants and rest/meditation whenever your schedule can afford it. Stay safe!

January 5, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  46. Imani from Maryland

EJ it's tuesday January 6, 5:43 am in Jerusalem

January 5, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  47. Bea

It is often said Israel is the US' strongest ally? Can someone tell me why people say that? I am always mystified by that statement.

January 5, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  48. Sherrol in Canada

Break Hamas' will, fine, but come on Israel enough is enough, and too much is too much. The poor Palestinians that are innocent bystanders – kids, women, nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.

Compared to the Israelis fire power, Hamas has a mickey mouse operation.

Believe it or not, I actually feel for both sides.

January 5, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  49. Lori from IL

Christiane and Anderson make a great team - keep up the good work. Stay safe.

January 5, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  50. Mary from Florida

I was Blessed to travel to Israel last summer. I am truly saddened by these events. Israel is a beautiful and surpisingly diverse country surrounded by some countries who want nothing more than to wipe them off the face of the earth. Yet I am not sure this response by Israel will help them in the eyes of the world. Barack will have a very delicate road to navigate through this latest conflict. Anyone think Bush/Cheney gave Israel the "wink/nod" to go ahead and move agressively to provoke a confrontation with Iran while they are still in office?

January 5, 2009 at 10:43 pm |