January 5th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/5/09

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on the headlines.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

If you want to take part in our Live Blog (and we hope you do) please follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica tonight. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Deanna

Bea–You are 100% correct!

January 5, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  2. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I love Tom Foreman! He is so good at explaining things. I love it when he uses the map.
    Yes, Minou.....
    He is best experience for his map today........ of course he is!

January 5, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  3. EJ (USA)

Hello everyone, our Anderson sure loves being in the thick of things.

Yes he does. I would think that he would be sick of it by now.

January 5, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  4. Deanna

Interesting that no foreign journalists are being allowed inside Gaza. I wonder why...

January 5, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  5. Rikki, Fargo, ND

EJ...if my math is correct it is about 5:40am in Isreal...

January 5, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  6. Adriana

Ash is right...best said...Take care of yourself, Anderson!

January 5, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  7. gadi

Glen you have to pick up a history book.Its a complex history.Hamas is a terrorist organization,not freedom fighters.

January 5, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  8. Mindy

@Ash,

What about Israeli civilian casualties? Or don't they count in your equation? Do you expect Israel to just sit there and let Hamas keep launching rockets against them? Would you tolerate that if it was your country?

Take off your blinders and see it from both sides.

January 5, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  9. Renee

I don't understand why Hamas wouldn't allow journalists to embed with them. Don't they want some PR? These groups tend to be power hungry.

January 5, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  10. Glen Up North

Jim M – I really, really like your idea there. As much as people may go, "Why can't I pay down my bills with this?", a stimulus package is meant to stimulate the economy and its growth, instead of covering a base and then stopping right there. A pre-paid Visa/Mastercard/other debit card that can only be used to purchase goods (aka a "gift card" such as those now available on the market) could be a very good way to proceed... and a more than reasonable request for the "bailed out" credit card companies to offer their services to the United States as a whole.

January 5, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  11. Mike, NC

Anderson Cooper is amazing. He is the best at reporting live on the scene of big events, and he is the most honest and fair reporter out there. And he is the hottest, most attractive reporter on television. He is the best and cutest person in reporting. Period.

January 5, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  12. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I am interested to know why Hamas is spurning all attempts at a truce.

January 5, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  13. Minou, New York City

Kevin C:
    you're so right!

January 5, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  14. Clyde

This is simply not realistic:

"I believe Israel SHOULD withdraw from all occupied land in Palestine, it would go a long way towards establishing a long lasting peace…it is, in my opinion, the only way any peace plan would work"

January 5, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  15. Cassie - AR

I don't know about the Hamas organization, but I do know the history of how the current state of Israel came to be and I have to say that I don't blame the Palestinian people for wanting to regain their country and for their hatred of the United States.

For anyone who wants to get a quick idea of the history of the Israel-Palestine conflict, I recommend reading The Lemon Tree by Sandy Tolan.

January 5, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

What time is it in Israel? I can tell Anderson needs to get a few hours of sleep.
    EJ (USA)
    Israel time zone now 5:39 in the morning........

January 5, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  17. Clarence Albuquerque

AC... thank you for the always great articulation

January 5, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  18. Mike, Syracuse NY

Glen, Arrafat was offered a deal like you proposed years ago and turned it down. He wanted more. The bottom line is that the Palestinians don't want an Israel at all. We aren't going to fix this, and probably shouldn't even try.

January 5, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  19. Jim,

Randi- There will be no peace until God Himself is seated at the Conference Table & He says This is Israels- Live with it ,This is Palestinian Over here LIVE with it or else.

January 5, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  20. Elad

Hamas is no different than Al-Qaeda – even after Israel withdrew from all of Gaza, they continued attacking civilians. Someone got to stop that!

January 5, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  21. Gilad

One thing most people don't seem to grasp is that Hamas is a parasite to the Gazans as much as it is to the Israelis. Like a cancer it has infested the region with its blood thirsty ideology seeding nothing but violence to the future of the entire middle east. The more this cancer stays untreated the harder it is to cure the region.

January 5, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  22. Cristina Terre

Anderson, tell me why you could not just go to Gasa intead of Israel? Is Gasa part of Israel?
    IMHO As long as we display and own weapons, we invitably are going to use them...there is another way.

January 5, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  23. Curt Corey

I'm frustrated that there is still no western press coverage inside Gaza. You're mentioning that the Israelis won't allow you in, but is it not possible to cross into Gaza from Egypt? Thanks and keep up the good work.

January 5, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  24. Apple, NJ

Anderson, it would be helpful if you could give a brief history of the region, how many times similar war had happened, and what came out of that.

Stay safe no matter what, please. You are the best.

January 5, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  25. Minou, New York City

I find it very upsetting that Isreal is trying to manipulate the press by hindering them from reporting directly from Gaza! It's just outrageous!

January 5, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  26. CurtisJo

"to those of us who have lost children, it helps us to reach out to anyone in the same situation to let them know they are not alone."

Brandi, you are absolutely right, but that does not exempt the citizens from endangering their children by allowing Hamas to run them and their land.

January 5, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  27. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

sylvia, chicago
    you're right!!! you have good point!!!! I think that Israel must withdrawal from Gaza... too much violence on the war. That exactly right!

January 5, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  28. Glen Up North

Dulcie – every challenge is also an opportunity to learn from it. Economy: what caused everything to go wrong, how can we learn from it and _not_ _repeat_ _it_? (I don't think this is the first time such a thing has happened in North American history. Why didn't we learn the other times? Or has enough time passed that today's generations haven't learnt about these previous times appropriately?) War: why have previous attempts at bringing harmony to Israel and Palestine not worked? What needs to change for everything to work? As harsh and uncompassionate I feel my words may seem, if things weren't brought to this level, would we even realize something was/is wrong?

January 5, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  29. Clarence Albuquerque

Fighting on the Home Turf..... because you have nowhere else to branch out....... beautifully profiled series of Israeli tank formation , by the way..... these guys of the neighborhood are really just trying to keep the little turf they've gotten a hold of. thanks AC for providing somewhat of a broader view point

January 5, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  30. Adriana

Yes, I was wondering myself why the foreign press is not allowed in Gaza...What's to hide?

January 5, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  31. Sherrol in Canada

I knew Obama's transition team new something of what was going on with Richardson. Now we have proof.

He didn't want Secretary of Commerce anyway, he wanted SOS. Maybe both sides are breathing a sigh of relief. Don't you think?

January 5, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  32. Eddie

A collaborative effort for diplomatic peace on all sides seems to be impossible. The Palestinians (along with the rest of the arab world) are indoctrinated with hate for the jewish people. The Isreales are overly empowered by the strength of their military and thus disproportionately inflict destruction on its neighbors. Because of this conflict is inevitable.

January 5, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  33. Minou, New York City

I appreciate Ben Wedeman's comments. He lives in the area and I trust he knows it all intimately.

January 5, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  34. Bea

@Eddie. Why is Israel completely unable to attempt to help itself other than by poorly planned wars? I would not hurl bombs from the air hoping they hit the terrorists and not worrying whether they hit the women/kids/innocents when I know a ground war is inevitable and necessary and when air poweris not being used to protect soldiers.. Israel keeps Anderson outside because they don't want the pictures of dead civilians/destruction caused by so called "surgical strikes" to be shown.

January 5, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  35. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Bea, It's up to the citizens to take responsibility and run Hamas out of the Gaza Strip. By allowing Hamas into office and subsequently not acting to rid them of their power, they are complacent and supporting terrorism.

January 5, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  36. Laurie from Oregon

I don't really understand why AC is in Israel. With the exception of this being a new defensive operation....how is it more important than Iraq or Afghanistan where the US is at war. Please educate us in your news cast. Thanks....

January 5, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  37. Naissa, South Texas

Hi Randi!

Why does Anderson INSIST ON BEING IN THE MIDDLE of everything regardless of how dangerous it is?!

Be careful, Cooper!

January 5, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  38. Cecilia C

Wow... That was a really great explanation concerning the strategy on both sides... Very enlightening

January 5, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  39. Sherrol in Canada

Hello everyone, our Anderson sure loves being in the thick of things. Be careful Anderson!!!

January 5, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  40. Mina, Reston VA

While I was away on holiday (spending time with the family), another conflict broke out. As an American, born in Korea and raised in the US, it is hard to imagine living in those conditions. My heart goes out to all those suffering from casualties of war.

I won't pretend to understand it so I can't take sides. I wish for peace .... come home safe my fellow Americans (CNN crew).

January 5, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  41. Imani from Maryland

Can someone please explain what they sre fighting about...what are they trying to acheive?

January 5, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  42. Kevin C

I wish the journalists would show what life was like in Gaza before the attack. I don't think viewers can have a good idea on motivations for this conflict without that.

January 5, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  43. Mike, Syracuse NY

Sylvia, you forget that Israel has been outnumbered hundreds to one by their neighbors for decades. In some places you can see from one side of the country to the other. It could be overrun in a few hours if they weren't prepared. They have offered land for peace, but Hamas still does not recognize their right to exist. Until they do, there will not be peace. It is that simple.

January 5, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  44. Minou, New York City

January 5, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  45. Jacqueline, NY

Greeting All!

Be safe, Anderson and get back home soon.

January 5, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  46. Ash

It idea that Palestinian civilians deserve to be killed because they passively tolerate terrorism is appalling. These Palestinians live in miserable conditions-thanks to Israel. They are just trying to survive. They would die of hunger if the U.N didn’t send them food. How are these people supposed to take on terrorists?

Its easier to justify violence against innocent people by creating such preposterous excuses- soothes the guilt a little I guess.

January 5, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  47. Clyde

Lori from IL...Every conflict throughout history is religious based. I truly believe religion is the work of the devil–a way to bring people together in order to tear them apart and create havoc.

January 5, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  48. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Casey J, They are not all supporting Hamas, many of them are against it, but they were elected democratically. I don't like Hamas' actions either, but what are you going to do only accept the choices you agree with in a Democratic election? All you can do is try to convince the Palestinians to vote them out.

January 5, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  49. David in NC

how does anyone know what is actually happening in Gaza if no reporters are allowed in there? Are any news organizations pushing this issue with the Israelis? Are there actually no reporters in Gaza right now?

January 5, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  50. Clarence Albuquerque

The poor reporters are as close as they can get..... and yet the fighting really involves victims of rocket fire... either Hamas or Israeli .

January 5, 2009 at 10:28 pm |