January 5th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/5/09

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on the headlines.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

If you want to take part in our Live Blog (and we hope you do) please follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica tonight. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. EJ (USA)

What time is it in Israel? I can tell Anderson needs to get a few hours of sleep.

January 5, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  2. Glen Up North

Ash, before the US's invasion of Iraq and the overturning of Saddam Hussein's regime, I was of the impression that Israel offered the US a safe foothold in the Middle East, from which they could observe (and, if necessary, react to) the actions of other Middle Eastern countries. Anyone informed about US overseas operations to confirm, correct, or refuse that impression?

January 5, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  3. Jacqui Chan

evening blggers- hope no1 has loved1's in harms way if so I hope you have been in contact over the past few days

January 5, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  4. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Hi Randi, I think all of us won't refuse the money, but it won't do anything if it's saved and not spent. The economy needs all of us to jump start it and not let it wither away.

January 5, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  5. Mike, Syracuse NY

Ash, if we hadn't supported Israel since it's creation, there would be no Israel today. The Arabs would have obliterated it.

January 5, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  6. Dorothy-CA

Hi Randi

I sure am looking forward to the tax cut. Good or bad, it works for me and I won't turn it down! I think it is at least a good step from Obama trying to do something, I think the tax cut will work alittle differently than the cash rebate we got. Not sure I'm right, but it feels better to me.

January 5, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  7. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I think we all could use the additional $500 or $1000...but the question is..will it work? I doubt it because if the theory worked then it would have worked last Spring and we wouldn't be in a recession. Personally I would use it for bills...as I'm sure most people would...which it why it probably wont stimulate our economy all that much.

January 5, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  8. Minou, New York City

Nick: defense? it's like knife vs atom bomb. all Hamas has is some rockets! They can't even threaten all of Israel but only the southern part. I'm not saying it's ok to fire those rockets at all. Hamas needs to be dealt with. But why does Israel always bulldoze the Palestinian people and kill scores of children and women?

January 5, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  9. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    I agree with Obama's buget tax 500 or 1000 bucks... I take that with my money!

January 5, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  10. Jim Matthews

Regarding the stimulus package:
    Checks to Americans didn't work iin the past because people banked the money or paid bills. How about a prepaid debit card that can only be used on merchandise or services, not cash at an ATM. People will run out and spend. Business will benefit as will the banks that issue the cards. Make the banks that get to issue the cards give something back in the form of looser credit restrictions.

People that get I Tunes cards buy songs. They don't bank the card or pay bills with it. Same concept. Let Barry Obama have this idea.....no charge.

Jim Matthews

January 5, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  11. Glen Up North

Thanks Gadi! Mike, your comment leads me to deduce that Hamas may be seen as Palestinians (without a formal country or government) as their only hope in defending themselves. Could not negociations be made where Palestinians could be given their own identity and land, much like the creation of Israel back in 1948? Could that help bring an end to the seemingly endless strife between the two cultures/nations?

January 5, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  12. sylvia, chicago

Mohammad,
    I believe Israel SHOULD withdraw from all occupied land in Palestine, it would go a long way towards establishing a long lasting peace...it is, in my opinion, the only way any peace plan would work

January 5, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  13. charles wilmore kansas city mo

A stimulas plan that would attempt to boost consumer demand by spending $140 billion on tax breaks worth $500 for individuals and $1,000 for couples,(according to a House Democratic aide) and would come by altering tax-withholding rules, rather than through a rebate check as with the previous stimulus plan enacted last year, so that workers would see an immediate increase in their take-home pay, looks good on paper.

The $500 tax credit would apply to the first $8,100 of wages, meaning a worker who earns $24,400 a year and is paid twice a month would get about $60 extra per paycheck for four months, but what happens when the oil companies raise the price of gas after opec cuts porduction so that oil is back above $80 a barrel. The extra $30.00 a week will then go from the consumer to the oil companies.

a real stimulas is real money now that comes as a lump sum paymet, citigroup and the money given to the banks wasen’t doled out by-weekly, so why should americians have their stimulas doled out to them in tiny portions. As an individual i can make more happen with a lump sum than with crumbs that will add up to a whole, meaning the crumbs are only guranteed so long as i have a job and not knowing how long before or if i get a pink slip, i am more likely to save my $120.00 a month than to spend it. with a lump sum of $500 to $1000 given to me in a chunk i would be more apt to go out and buy a new digital tv or set of tires for the car.

January 5, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  14. CurtisJo

Israel is NOT targeting innocent civilians. Hamas is a terrorist organization. Palestinians need to step-up to the plate and take back the Gaza Strip.

January 5, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  15. Brandi - bottom of the boot

@ curtisjo,

to those of us who have lost children, it helps us to reach out to anyone in the same situation to let them know they are not alone.

January 5, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  16. Clarence Albuquerque

The drama of the vetting process... Isn't Hilary 's history also being questioned? And wouldn't so many other set representatives be pushed if their political calculations scrutinized any contributions they accepted?

January 5, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  17. Dulcie - Denver

It's good to see Anderson back in the field. Just hope all our CNN folks stay safe.

Man, I was hoping for a better 2009, but it's sure getting off to a rocky start. Between the economy and the war between Israel and Hamas, it's pretty bleak.

January 5, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  18. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Welcome, Glen up north..... 🙂

January 5, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  19. Bea

@Casey J. it is not the Palestinian people's job to look out for Israel's interests. Israel doesn't look out for their interests.

January 5, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  20. Rikki, Fargo, ND

CaseyJ...I couldn't have said it any better myself! I completely agree!

January 5, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  21. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Richardson was vetted wasn't he? Guess the vetting was not up to top speed.

January 5, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  22. Glen Up North

Mohammad, you seem to confirm something I'd once heard (but can't identify the source). The impression I've also had as of late is that Israel continuously attempts to expand its borders outward. Palestinians still view (at least part of) the land that has become Israel as their religious Mecca. I could understand the frustration of anyone whose wish to observe their own religious beliefs (without harming others) be refused by others for unrelated reasons.

January 5, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  23. niwat, Chicago

Hi AC and AC360 crew,

The conflict between Israel and Hamas has been under turmoil for the past few years but only this time it erupts aggressively and it seems each side of them are not backing down easily , hopefully UN can mediate the situation before more casualities of civilians especially children occurs.

Mr Cooper, you are amazing, you were in NYC counting down to the new year,not even a week goes by, now you are in battlefield .. Be well

January 5, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  24. Lori from IL

Teresa,

I agree with you - the Israeli/Palastinian conflict is religious based. The history goes back to Isaac and Ishmail. (There was an excellent espisode of the TV show the West Wing several years ago that did an excellent job of explaining the conflict for those not familiar with the history.)

I, do, however, feel that Hamas has added a new dimension, as they are a terrorist organization and not all Palastinians support Hamas.

January 5, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  25. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

When Obama is forced to deal with this situation I wonder if he will agree to meet with the leaders of Hamas without "conditions?"

January 5, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  26. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

It's sad seeing the new year brought in with more death and destruction. I pray for resolution and the safety of the innocent civilians caught in the middle of this war.

Stay safe, Anderson.

January 5, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  27. sylvia, chicago

@ Mike – it's not that simple, and I think u know it...at the heart of it all is Jerusalem, a religious holy land to almost every religion on earth...true the Arab world did not take kindly to the establishment of Israel but you have to admit both sides greatly contributed to the escalation of violence over the years...at this point is truly needs to be a collaborative effort on all sides

January 5, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  28. Monica M. Williams

Huh, not happy about the violence in Isreal. Not happy to see you and others on the ground there. A friend of mine just came back a month ago. Augh! May an angels wings protect you all and safely guide you back home.

January 5, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  29. Minou, New York City

Well, let's hope Obama will deal with it...Bush certainly chose not to.

January 5, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  30. Marian O'Donnell, Toronto, Ont.

So good to see you in the field Anderson, you are one of the very few I trust and respect. I have followed your broadcasts for a few years now but have never before blogged.

Keep your head down and stay safe.

Please make them leave the Travoltas alone and stick to the news!!

January 5, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  31. Mike, Syracuse NY

Richardson set a record for a new administration having a scandal. He hasn't even been sworn in yet, and he's already out. I guess it's more efficient that way.

January 5, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  32. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Glen up north, Don't feel bad, I am a novice on the Middle East as well. I don't think that I will ever fully understand it. I know more about art history than world history.

January 5, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  33. michael

anderson you r the man! stay safe

Isreal has really done it this time. Everytime Isreal does these barbaric things the world hates America even deeper.
    I am proud to be an American but so scared for our future in the world

January 5, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  34. Clarence Albuquerque

Glen UN: thanks for your perception.... but let's hope this one loop hole doesn't become a noose for the American people.... and the rest of the world.

January 5, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  35. Bero

Just saw that the Isrealis have killed three of their own. If they can kill their own, what will they do to the Gazans? This must stop! What are Tony Blair and Sarcozy doing in Israel? Why aren't they in Gaza? Might be too much for their sensitive bodies. They probably don't like blood. Probably too much for Obama too. Makes me sick!

January 5, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  36. Ken in NC

Good evening Randi and all Bloggers. Hope Anderson will stay safe over there in Israel and Gaza. It is a sad situation over there and no solution in site that will please both sides.

January 5, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  37. Ash

Enough of the ‘self defense’ excuse! Israel is victimizing innocent people. It is creating a Holocaust for Palestinians. It is conducting an offense against the International humanitarian law as declared by the U.N. Israel should stop using words like ‘self defense’ for a planned attack which is timed to take advantage of U.S political calendar, as self defense is normally spontanious.

U.S. aid to Israel is approximately one-third of the American foreign-aid budget, even though Israel comprises just .001 percent of the world’s population- (In excess of 3 Billion dollars annually while our own homes are foreclosed upon!). In essence, we have given Israel the ability to kill innocent people. Politically, we will support Israel no matter what. Why? What do we get in return apart from unpopularity in the Arab world? Am I missing something?

January 5, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  38. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Another 750 billion? I wonder when the well will go dry. We can't spend forever. The debt will be huge for generations to come.

January 5, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  39. Eddie

All the countries which have condemned Isreal for military action must ask themselves one question. "What would we do if a neighboring country was to shot thousands of missiles into our cities?"

January 5, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  40. anderson cooper

hi everyone.. happy Monday . glad you're on board for the show tonight.. by now you see Anderson is in Israel... he always puts himself right where the story is.. that's a good thing for all of us.
    but there is other news today. what do you think about Obama's idea of cutting taxes... welcome news in your household? could you use the extra 500 or 1000 bucks?? i bet you can.. everyone can these days! let me know what might use it for..
    and keep watching! so much good stuff ahead!

January 5, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  41. Glen Up North

Sylvia, I do agree it's a tough question. I'm immediately biased to say that perhaps it's because Israel's allies are the United States and other major participants in the United Nations. Can anyone correct or confirm my viewpoint on this? I'll limit my comments at now for now because I'd rather have a productive discussion here than a (potential) flame war.

January 5, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  42. Bea

In Obama plan, infrastructure projects that focus on safety (repairs etc.) should be favored. How do rural communities get in on infrastructure bucks?

January 5, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  43. Marcy

Love you Anderson...Stay safe

January 5, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  44. Mike, Syracuse NY

Sylvia, there is no formal Palestine yet. Legally there is not yet a Palestinian country. Gaza basically is controlled by Hamas, a terrorist organization. The blockade's purpose is to prevent weapons from entering.

January 5, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  45. gadi dekel

israel was born in 1948.

January 5, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  46. Adriana

Good evening. I hope for peace, too, war is never good for anybody...My heart is with the innocent people that lost their lives in Israel and Gaza...

January 5, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  47. Don, WA

I imagine journalists like AC want to go within the borders of Gaza to report information – I wish they could – but for now at least, Gaza and Palestine and Isreal must know that on the outskirts, just beyond the borders of Gaza – the hills have eyes. So keep the cameras rolling from there.

January 5, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  48. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I wonder the same thing, Laura, though the way things have gone for so many years I'm not sure peace is anywhere in the near future.

And I don't know all watched the webcast over the break but Ali Velshi is a genius! If the last stimulus package and tax cuts had worked we wouldn't be where we are today!

January 5, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  49. nick new york

Why wasn't anybody reporting as rockets from the terrorist group, Hamas, were targeting only innocent civilians. Maybe everybody would realize that this is a Defensive not offensive operation.

January 5, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  50. Imani from Maryland

Sooo what is our government doing to help the situation...

January 5, 2009 at 10:14 pm |