January 5th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/5/09

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on the headlines.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

If you want to take part in our Live Blog (and we hope you do) please follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica tonight. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Mohammad

Sylvia,

the onyl other way is for israel to withdraw from all occupied Palestinian land. Until this day israel continues to build seatlements and Palistinian land and target innocent civilians. What is even more crazy then that is the whole world is watching and they can't do nothing about it.

January 5, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  2. sylvia, chicago

@ Jo Ann f/OH – I completely agree with you...how can you question or undermine a democratically elected leader? if it is the will of the people let it be...how would we feel if someone questioned the integrity or validity of our elections? this is complete double standard, a blatant example of hypocrisy

January 5, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  3. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Jo Ann, Civilians are not "innocent" when they passively allow terrorist organizations take over and rule them like puppets. As awful as this is on the citizens, they have no one to blame but themselves for their passive behavior. Everyone must take responsibility in their own community and the Gaza Strip is no exception.

January 5, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  4. Dana From Las Vegas

All of this is terrible, but all countries have the right to protect themselves. What I do not understand is why the Palestinians support Hamas. If you sleep with the devil you are the devil. aka if you elect officals that strike at an enemy you must face the consequences. I do however feel that it is time the US listens to both sides of the story and find a true resolution to the problem. We seem to ALWAYS take the side of Isreal. Are they always correct with their reactions? How many Jews have died and how many Palestinians? At what point does it get out of hand and not fair? How about the Palestinians that voted against Hamas they are still dying also.

January 5, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  5. Cecilia C

Yeah. Obama will have a handfull of trouble... He certainly didn't expect this would be the situation in the US and around the world when he first decided to run for president...

January 5, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  6. Teresa, OH

I dont think the Israel conflict is about a piece of land. I think the origin in this fighting is religious based. And I really think any interference or help from the USA is not welcomed.

January 5, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  7. Lori from IL

Good evening Anderson, Randi and Fellow Bloggers -

Hope everyone had a good weekend. Although I enjoyed the holidays - I'm glad to get back to a more normal routine.

I know you (Anderson) love to be where the action/conflict is - I just hope you, your crew and all journalists stay safe while reporting this story. Thank you for all you do and God Speed.

January 5, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  8. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    Please stay safe and be careful!!!! I hope you will be alright and you are my hero!

January 5, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  9. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

How could Bill Richardson even consider running for president with this in his background? Something tells me that he won't be the last one of Obama's buddies to be investigated.

January 5, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  10. Sandra Robertson, Ga.

Good evening Randi. Christiane and Anderson thank you for your reports from the field. Be safe. God Bless you all.

January 5, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  11. CurtisJo

Must we focus on famous people and the bad things that happen to them? Losing a child is probably the most awful thing I can think of but famous people's children are no more important than anyone elses.

January 5, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  12. Glen Up North

Clarence, I really hope you're misinformed on that point. The last thing the world needs is for a United States president to stay more than 8 years in office... especially one like GWB, who doesn't seem to be very well respected in the public eye outside the US. 🙁

January 5, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  13. Renee

Cultural Question: Do anyone know about that scarf around Christiane's shoulders? Does orange/red mean anything? She always seems dressed for her experiences reporting.

January 5, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  14. Clarence Albuquerque

I guess Bill Richardson remains new mexico's goveronor. Good for???????????

January 5, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  15. sylvia, chicago

why is ok for Israel to accept military help from it's allies but the same philosophy does not apply to Palestine?

January 5, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  16. Mike, Syracuse NY

Glen, Israel was created by what was supposed to the partition of the former mandate of Palestine by the UN in 1948. There was to be a Jewish state, and a Palestinian state. The Jews accepted the plan, and the Arabs didn't. They wanted it all and went to war. Israel responded by declaring independence. There has been conflict ever since. If the Arabs had accepted in 1948, there would have been 2 states, and peace.

January 5, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  17. Bea

Hamas is hiding. When Israel thinks it's over they will pounce. Almost like they know politics better than Israel does. Long war is bad for Israel.

January 5, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  18. Imani from Maryland

Good Luck out there Anderson...

January 5, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  19. Glen Up North

Yes, by all means, stay safe Anderson... Seems it takes you to get me interested in news, but that's not the only reason I wish you safety and safe passage.

January 5, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  20. sylvia, chicago

Christiane Amanpour is alwasy on point...I understand – to a certain extent – what Israel is doing...taking an offensive position in this on going struggle (sort of like what the Bush administration did in the war on terror, no?) but nothing justifies the high loss of civilian life...I am ashamed of Israel right now, I would think that history has left at least a slight mark on our psyche and showed us that there is no justice or victory to be had when innocents die...there has to be another way

January 5, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  21. Bea

Amanpour helps add balance to CNN's courage. Love her.

January 5, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  22. Minou, New York City

Thanks for being in Israel,Anderson, and for talking to people inside Gaza!

January 5, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  23. Jana, Indiana

Jo Ann, I agree with what you say about all of them doing a great job reporting from the borders.

I too, hope that they all stay safe.

January 5, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  24. Renee

Hundreds of people are dead or injured. People are terrorized. War is hell. I couldn't imagine living in Gaza or Isreal right now. Praying for peace for all.

January 5, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good question Glen up north,
    I think that Israel and Gaza have lot problem fighting each other since 9 days now. They won't stop peace or truce each other.

January 5, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  26. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I am not taking sides, but why has the International Community blockaded the Gaza strip since 2005 depriving innocent civilians of supplies? No matter what anyone thinks of Hamas it was chosen in a Democratic election and that must be accepted considering what we did in Iraq.

If you are going to support Democratic elections you must live with the consequences no matter who is elected.

January 5, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  27. Laura, New York City

good evening Anderson, Randi and bloggers,
    I have to agree with Rikki, it is indeed a sad start for 2009. I wonder if there'll ever be peace.
    Stay safe Anderson

January 5, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  28. Glen Up North

Thanks for the info, Megan! I've been in rehearsals all day, with not a chance to watch CNN (at home, it's simply a snow-filled station which miraculously still transmits the Closed Captioned signal)... thanks again for the info! 🙂

January 5, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  29. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

PE Obama will have his hands full with the all the fires that are raging in this world. It's endless.

January 5, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  30. Bea

Did the Obama team know about the Richardson investigation when he was nominated?

January 5, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  31. Clarence Albuquerque

Obama's silence is probably based on the fact that he is not president..... is it my understanding that while the US is at war ( Iraq) the standing president could determine he doesn't have to give up office until the outcome of the war is resolved?

January 5, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  32. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Good evening all.

You know, this right here is why I absolutely love and have the highest regards for AC360. It's the only news program on the show where the host isn't afraid to voyage from behind the anchor desk and SEE the news firsthand.

We all hope you stay safe Cooper and staff in Israel!

January 5, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  33. Bea

Hello everyone. Stay safe out there.

January 5, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  34. Lauren--NY

Hey, everyone–Anderson, not sure if you have access to this or if you'll read it later but please stay safe. I know you're very experienced and very bright, but please know that your safety is the most important thing. Thank you for all you do–come home soon, buddy!!

January 5, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  35. sarah ,doha

Hope you have a good evening
    and be careful anderson

January 5, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  36. Glen Up North

Re: Gaza and Israel... Is Anderson on location? I've been left confused about this conflict, which didn't just begin in 2009... Seems Israel has been in conflict with neighboring states ever since it was created (wasn't it created by the United Nations at the end of one of the World Wars? Can anyone confirm this for me, or correct me?)

January 5, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  37. Imani from Maryland

Good evening everyone long time no blog...

January 5, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  38. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Glen up north,
    Anderson is in Israel right now coverage for us.

January 5, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  39. Clyde

I'm impressed that Anderson is on the ground where the action is.

January 5, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  40. Dorothy-CA

Good Evening Anderson and Randi. So glad to see you sitting in for Anderson – you are the best! Well, except for Anderson 🙂

Be careful Anderson and crew!

January 5, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  41. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

This is what Anderson does best, reporting from the field on an important story! He and Christiane have been doing a great job giving updates during the day.

I appreciate the great work that all of the journalists are doing over there, but I hope that they will not take any chances and stay safe!

January 5, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  42. Janine from PA.

From Times Square to Gaza, you sure live on the edge, Mr. Cooper, stay safe.

January 5, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  43. Brandi - bottom of the boot

goodevening all.

im glad to see anderson back in the field, i just wish peace could be achieved.

January 5, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  44. Cecilia C

OMG!!! Anderson left for Israel! Please, Anderson and everyone else there stay safe!

January 5, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  45. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good Evening Anderson, Randi and Bloggers...

Such a sad start to 2009...My thoughts and prayer go out to everyone affected by this terrible crisis.

Anderson...stay safe over there!

January 5, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Glen Up North

Good evening Randi, Anderson (you here?) and everyone 🙂

January 5, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  47. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Hamas is a terrorist organization, not a country. As such, it needs to be squashed.

January 5, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Mari T

Be careful, please! Mr,AC and everybody!

January 5, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo Randi and best bloggers!!!!
    Hope you have nice weekend........ My breaking heart for 2 sides Israel and Gaza...... I hope that Anderson is staying safe durning the war with 2 sides...... my thoughts and prayers with Gaza and Israel.
    Do you have thoughts about Gaza and Israel are pounding each other on the war? Let me know.

January 5, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. lee

Hi, Randi, great to see you have a chance to sit in Anderson's chair!

January 5, 2009 at 10:00 pm |