January 5th, 2009

"Come on Jett"

Randi Kaye
360 Correspondent

Editor's Note:  Watch Randi Kaye’s full report tonight on AC360  at 10PM for all the latest details in this case.

More heart-breaking news to report in the mysterious death of actor John Travolta’s son.

16-year-old Jett Travolta died from a “seizure disorder,” according to the director of the funeral home in the Bahamas.

You’ve probably heard by now that Jett suddenly had a massive seizure on Friday and collapsed in the bathroom while vacationing with his parents and his little sister in the Bahamas. John Travolta’s lawyer said he apparently hit his head on the bathtub in the fall, but the funeral home director says there weren’t any signs of trauma to the boy’s head.

We also learned today that Jett was cremated in the Bahamas and that his ashes will be flown back to Florida with his parents.

And, some comfort for the family if at all possible in a case like this… a friend says John Travolta administered CPR to his son and that Jett “may have died in his dad’s arms.”

The boy’s parents, according to Radar Magazine, were in the ambulance with him on the way to the hospital where he was later pronounced dead. The actor was reportedly holding his son’s hand, saying “Come on Jett.”

In the autopsy, one forensic pathologist I interviewed said the coroner would be looking closely at the boy’s brain to see if there was bleeding there, which may indicate the fall contributed to his death. The pathologist also said they’ll be trying to determine time of death, and whether or not Jett had any drugs/medicine in his system that may have contributed.

Apparently, according to family friends, Jett has had seizures for years. They tried a seizure drug called Depacote for a few years, which limited the seizures, but eventually they returned and the family decided to stop the medication. There is no indication any medicine could have prevented this tragedy.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Jett Travolta • Randi Kaye
  1. Francesca. Toronto, Ont. Canada

I'm still in disbelief that John and Kelly are suffering in agony for the loss of their son. Nobody should ever have to go through the pain and heartache of losing a child. The love they both have for Jett is crystal clear! The photos shown of Jett and Kelly were priceless. The photos of Jett and John looking at eachother with such beautiful smiles and Jett kissing is father on his head will always be thought of deeply. My heart bleeds with tears for your great loss. May the Travolta family be blessed with love and prayer during this time of sorrow.

Peace and Love... always

January 5, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  2. kris

To the Family:

Sleep sweet within this quiet room,
    O thou, whoe'er thou art,
    And let no mournful yesterdays
    Disturb thy peacful heart.
    Nor let tomorrow mar thy rest
    With dreams of coming ill:
    Thy Maker is thy changeless friend,
    His love surrounds thee still.
    Forget thyself and all the world,
    Put out each garish light:
    The stars are shining overhead–
    Sleep sweet! Good night! Good night!

January 5, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  3. Tammy, Berwick. LA

I think this has to be a very private time for this family, and everyone telling their little piece for their sad moment of fame off of this tragedy is just pathetic. Those who truly loved this young man are in my prayers and thoughts. Now, can we end the media coverage? Parents lost their boy and will never be the same. End of story. Move on.

January 5, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  4. Miriam P

May God comfort this family in their tragic lost. So sad to know that a beautiful child is gone forever. God will give them the strengh to keep going. My prayer are for them.

January 5, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  5. Janine from PA.

Do we really need to know all these private details? The boy passed away and the family needs to be left alone. My sympathies to the family.

January 5, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  6. S.Reid

My heart goes out to John and the family. It's a wonderful thing to have first aid and CPR training, but it is also a burden to have to use it. I used it successfully once at work (I was a first aider), and we revived an 80 year old, which is a rare save, according to the stats. But the images of that haunted me for a long time. My father had died of a heart attack a few years previously, and I had so wished I could have been able to help him. But I guess it's karma – I was able to help someone else. Bless the family at this sorrowful time.

January 5, 2009 at 9:56 pm |
  7. Bev, Ont. Canada

What a heartbreaking thing to happen. I prayers go out to the Travolta family. I hope they can find some comfort in all this. They were such proud loving parents. John Travolta always seemed to be a very emotional person. This will hit hard.

January 5, 2009 at 9:45 pm |
  8. Brandi - bottom of the boot

the memory of performing CPR will haunt him for the rest of his life. i performed CPR on my late son when i found him. its one of the hardest memories. it is tragic by itself.

i love the picture they have of Jett and his father, where Jett is kissing his fathers head, so beautiful, that picture contains more love than i have ever seen captured in a photo before.

im so sorry for them.