January 2nd, 2009

Carville makes painful prediction for 2009

Simple math says Democrats are more likely get caught up in a scandal, Carville says.

James Carville
CNN Contributor

You know, people will insist that 2008 had 366 days. I don't believe it. I think it had 36,066 days.

It certainly felt much longer than any year that I've ever experienced. Only time will tell what's in store for us in 2009, but first I have a few predictions.

Internationally, I believe there will be a peace agreement between Israel and Syria in the next 18 months. It is something that will be a priority for the incoming Obama administration.

In domestic politics, my first prediction is one that pains me to make, but I'll make it anyway.

Keep reading...

Filed under: James Carville • Raw Politics
  1. Bart from Chicago

Democrats in Illinois have enough corruption for both parties and then some.

January 2, 2009 at 5:59 pm |
  2. Pat Tibbs

I have an idea for the Republican Party: appoint Arnold Schwarzzenegger Party Chair and let him reform it the same way he has reformed the way California does government. We Democrats would be thrilled.

Although he is definitely a moderate – even reasonable on civil liberties – he simply doesn't know how to communicate with his own party much less the party in power in the State Legislature – Democrats. Still, maybe he would get a clue while his party got a clue on civil liberties. I say it's worth a try.

January 2, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  3. Melissa B ~ California

James Carville is a pretty smart guy and is hardly ever wrong. That bodes well for the democrats in the near future. If the republicans do not move back to the political center, they will continue to polarize their own party. This division within the GOP ranks will futher erode their effectiveness and increase their overall weakness for years to come.

January 2, 2009 at 4:14 pm |
  4. Annie Kate

What you say makes sense – that now with more Democrats in office the chance of finding one involved in something they shouldn't be increases. I just hope there is nothing much to find. Realistically, that probably is a forlorn hope but I still would like to see a government that is not only honest but one that is effective. I think we the people deserve nothing less.

January 2, 2009 at 3:56 pm |
  5. Jennifer

I don't wish to, but. . . I happen to agree with Carville. I just hope that some day, in my lifetime, I will be able to see a politician, who is in the majority party, stay focused on how best to serve the American people. I won't hold my breath for that one though!

My wish for the new congress, is that they let all of the bush stuff go and not spend years and money investigating every error he made throughout his two terms, but rather spend it fixing all that is wrong. Being bitter won't solve anything. And the American people did what they were supposed to do and elected people that they believe can make positive changes. Its time for us to actually hold our elected officials accountable. Let them know what we wish for them to do for us. Now its time for me to wake up and get busy and put a stop to my dreaming!

January 2, 2009 at 3:49 pm |
  6. Cindy

It pains me to say this, but I think that Carville is right on the money with his predictions! At least I hope so on the Israel Syria front and hopefuly that'll happen also with Israel and the Palestinians.

I also think that there will be more political scandals on both sides of the aisle. Hey...most of them are crooks so you know they are bound to get caught or do something stupid.

And I do think that the Reps have a big identity crisis of which way they want to go and who will lead them there. So that has to be sorted out one way or the other. I think that could get ugly.

I think Obama and the Dems too will have to prove to the public that they are for change and actually do it and not just say it! If they go with the same ole same ole as always they will be looked at as liars.

Cindy...Ga.