January 1st, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/1/09

Tonight on 360° we're following breaking news out of the Middle East.

New airstrikes on Gaza as the death toll continues to rise. We'll have a live report from Israel.

And, golden parachutes for corporate execs heading out the door.

Millions of dollars in severance handed out .. even if the company is failing .. and get this.. the CEOs don't pay the taxes.

We're keeping them honest.

Tell us what you think about the continuing violence in the Middle East as well as the continuing disconnect between Wall Street and Main Street.

Just follow our rules. Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book)
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Megan Dresslar- Shoreline, WA

Hey! I can't wait see "The Shot" Anderson and Kathy were so great dancing up the helm!!!!!

January 1, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  2. Larry

Happy New Year to all who have no room for hate in their heart. Those who do hate have no room for anyone but themselves.

January 1, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  3. John Bergquist Newtown, CT

Perhaps someone who is considering political office should grow up and try to be a little more responsible.

January 1, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  4. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The NYE show was more like the good the bad and the disgusting! I enjoyed Gary's run and Sushi's "drop," but Griffin was too much to take.

January 1, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  5. Mike, Syracuse NY

You have to be pretty hard up to party with Urkel.

January 1, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  6. Monica M Williams

There is nothing more aspiring than the possibility of a dream; nothing more satisfying than having a dream fulfilled. Happy New Year Anderson, crew and everyone in the round. May all your dreams in ’09 come true!

January 1, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  7. Dulcie - Denver

Yay! They showed a snippet of Anderson dancing with Kathy! Very dignified, but adorable.

Thanks!

January 1, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  8. Jacqui Chan

to Minou ha & eww!

not that I particularly looked up to Charles Barkley but I saw him on Oprah and he seemed like a good guy. I can't stand when someone who so many people look up to do something so stupid (and get caught)

January 1, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  9. Ken C.

Well the CEO's aren't paying the taxes themselves, however the shareholders' money will be paying for it. Not that it makes it much better..

January 1, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  10. Minou, New York City

Who's Steve Urkel?

January 1, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  11. Paolo

To see Barkley be as blunt as that and taking responsibility is something we rarely see of celebrities. As for his political aspirations, he is not alone as other politicians have gotten in to such trouble before entering the field.

January 1, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  12. Kathy, Chicago

Erkle? You can't make that up! Charles in charge, or charged.

January 1, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  13. ashley - willis, tx

i dislike drunk drivers. i have a scar under my chin from a near fatal wreck i was in when i was 2 from a drunk driver...grrrr....it still has glass in it too

January 1, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  14. Maureen, Georgia

Anderson and Kathy looks good together.

January 1, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  15. Fay - CA

Another sports figure in trouble, so what else is new? Well, the Urkel(!) reference is new...

January 1, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  16. Ashley - Hamlin NY

I have to admit, when the news is as depressing as it has been, it's nice to see Hill and Cooper laugh and Cooper and Griffin clips of them dancing.

January 1, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  17. Heather - Spokane, WA

Another sports star who thinks they are above the law. I guess we can be prepared to see his wife on tv with divorce papers

January 1, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  18. Ken C.

Barkley running for Governor? I have but one word. Wow.
    I really doubt he'll be elected

January 1, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  19. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

Lol, Eurkle knows how to party?

Erica, you look pretty with your glasses.

January 1, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  20. EJ (USA)

Charles Barkley was partying with Steve Urkel??? Haha! That's some material for Jack Gray.

January 1, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  21. Ellen Hodorek

Oh ... Sir Charles. What a shame. Maybe this can be an example that will save someone's life. The final detail does make me chuckle. Thank God for humor.

January 1, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  22. Sydney Greene

With the commontion between Wall Street and Main Street is ridiculous! What do they mean CEO's don't pay taxes? So what they're rich, does it make a difference. If the money is being handed out more and more we will be broke. What's with the economy? You can't spend money you dont have!!

I may be young but I'm here to say: We are in the worst Reccesion in history. We can't spend boatloads of money!!

January 1, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  23. Megan Dresslar- Shoreline, WA

That is bad idea for Charles Barkley drank alcohol too much..... I agree with police. that police is doing right thing arrest Charles busted! That is against the law!

January 1, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  24. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I guess Sir Charles is going to have to relive and explain this in 2014! Maybe the governor's office just got dribbled away..

January 1, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  25. Ingrid from Northern VA

My New Years resolution is to search out American Made only products and food as much as possilbe...I think if we each tried even a few things during a shopping trip..then I know my money is helping our economy.
    I also travel and do mission work in Sierra Leone at a Children's Rescue Center and hope we can get our hospital built by this fall:)

January 1, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  26. Sarah Rutherford ATL

Oh I feel bad for his wife
    Barkley as governor would be a bad look

January 1, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  27. Minou, New York City

Barkley clearly suffers from verbal diarrhea..

January 1, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  28. Maureen T

Charles Barkley got caught with his hand in the cookie jar! The wrong cookie jar, obviously!

January 1, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  29. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Why does the media insist on covering the bad behaviour of celebrities? It isn't news it is business as usual.

January 1, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  30. Fay - CA

What a harrowing report by Gary Tuchman, it's heartbreaking to watch that young man relive the horror of the avalanche and leaving his friend.

January 1, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  31. Sarah Rutherford ATL

Barkley does like to run his mouth... but he's funny

January 1, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  32. Ashley - Hamlin NY

I can't believe that Barkley is getting media attention. Pathetic.

January 1, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  33. mark in colorado

I think the restraint of the American consumer is refreshing, and is opening some eyes in Washington who believed the American people lacked the ability to deny themselves anything.

January 1, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  34. Heather - Spokane, WA

God bless those who parished in that avalanche. I dont know what I would have done in that situation. I think right now that I would have tried to get them out, but that is only what I think now. In the heat of the moment it may come out differently, but I would try to do the best I can to get them out.

January 1, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  35. lynn

One of my relatives was involved with the avalanche search and said it was just heartwrenching to watch and listen to the two survivors!

January 1, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  36. Bonnie

I feel so sorry for that man. How do you live with the memory of having to leave your friends behind? I hope someone can help him with his guilt.

January 1, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  37. renee, nashville, tn

I prayer for God to heal this precious young man as he grieves the loss of his friends.

January 1, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  38. Jana, Indiana

Those poor men. What they went through themselves and then having to leave their buddies there. You are right, this is something that they will have to live with for the rest of their lives.

January 1, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  39. mazen khoury

maybe the US should stop looking at small spending and start looking at the larger Government spending of Billions per week in Iraq, Billions in weapons for Israel, and billions in supporting a failing auto industry. That money can do a lot in fixing the economy.

January 1, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  40. Gina-Clarksville,TN

WOW!..what a brave guy. I truly feel sorry for him having to make that choice to leave his friends behind.

January 1, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  41. Maureen, Georgia

Why would anyone ignore avalanche warnings, now lives are lost, very sad.

January 1, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  42. Rikki, Fargo, ND

My heart goes out to all of those boys. The survivors have so much courage and it is absolutely heartbreaking. What a terrible position to be in and I can't imagine having to make a decision like that.

January 1, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  43. Ashley - Hamlin NY

I just can't imagine knowing I had to desert my friend as they were calling my name, begging me not to leave them – not knowing if I could return. It's unspeakable.

January 1, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  44. Ingrid from Northern VA

I hope Nic is being safe since it is not necessary for us to see things so close because my thoughts are for his family first, then journalism.
    Also, it starts crossing lines when our military has to take time to protect a journalist when they should be looking after their unit...
    Just being honest since it is a fine line of wanting to be 'first and closest one on the scene' and wanting to report safely to show the world what is going on which is valuable.

January 1, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  45. Minou, New York City

Anssuya: I've been to Singapore last summer. A beautiful city ! And so much fun.

January 1, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  46. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Why did they ignore the warnings? That is what they are there for!

You have to respect nature because it has no respect for you.

January 1, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  47. JM of Hartford CT

"There is a faith that overcomes the World, and there is a faith that is overcome by the World" ~ William Penn

May peace & common sense rule in 2009 and beyond once more!!!

Truly, JoHanna

January 1, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  48. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

Are avalanches THAT unpredictable?

January 1, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  49. Maureen T

What a decision Jeff Adams had to make! I don't believe it's an easy decision and I wouldn't want to make it!

January 1, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  50. David, Indiana

I disagree a bit with Ben Stein, although, I enjoyed that intvw immensely, very interesting. some of Obama's stimulus plan is new technology, not only public works

January 1, 2009 at 10:40 pm |