January 1st, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/1/09

Tonight on 360° we're following breaking news out of the Middle East.

New airstrikes on Gaza as the death toll continues to rise. We'll have a live report from Israel.

And, golden parachutes for corporate execs heading out the door.

Millions of dollars in severance handed out .. even if the company is failing .. and get this.. the CEOs don't pay the taxes.

We're keeping them honest.

Tell us what you think about the continuing violence in the Middle East as well as the continuing disconnect between Wall Street and Main Street.

Just follow our rules. Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book)
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Deni NS

Unfortunately his avalanche experience will haunt him and will probably have survivals guilt for a long long time.

January 1, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  2. lynn

If the gov't guarantee loans, what will stop banks from once again giving them to people who can't pay for them?

Before one more dime is given to any bank they should have to account for the billions they have already received.

January 1, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  3. ashley - willis, tx

i have 3 resolutions this year: play my bass more, finish writing my book and get back into my photography....this girl at the photo lab made my day today with all her comments on my halloween pictures i took of my little cousin...

January 1, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  4. Maureen T

I hope Nic Robertson stays safe!

January 1, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  5. Minou, New York City

What? The New York Times wrote that journalists are now allowed to go into Gaza..limited, but they are allowed to go in. Nic was duped!

January 1, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  6. Jana, Indiana

Anderson, thanks for clarifying Ben's comments. As a single person, I just don't feel right going out and making a big purchase at this time

January 1, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  7. Justin Jones - Rotterdam, NY

I agree Ken. You take a certain risk when you invest, but you dont expect people to be irresponsible with your money. Lesson learned I suppose

January 1, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  8. Hannah Marner

My New Year's resolution? To be who I am and not who other people want to see. And to get rid of these darned migraines!

And yes, Ben Stein has a point there.

January 1, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  9. Ashley - Hamlin NY

Nic Robertson has a lot of guts and is a personal hero of mine. I think of his courage whenever I see a newstory about Gaza, Hamas, and Israel. He's got more bravery than anyone else I can think of.

January 1, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar- Shoreline, WA

Hellooo Erica!!!
    I agree with you....... Gary and his daughter were good jogging 4 miles!!!! they were adorable!!! and Happy New Year to you!!!
    Good job for you were so brave so cold into the crowd!!! 🙂

January 1, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  11. Mary D

Hey Anderson! Loved you and Kathy last night! My NYE tradition!

January 1, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  12. Anne Morgan - Atlanta, GA

One of my New Year's resolutions is to win Beat 360. That's my favorite part of the show.

January 1, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  13. Anssuya

Happy New Year 2009 to you Anderson and team.

New year eve and new year day was great as it was raining heavily in the afternoon...

Here in Singapore we are already back to work.

January 1, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  14. Judy from Halifax, Nova Scotia

play with dog ... not 'pay'

January 1, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  15. Jacqui Chan

that poor guy will be haunted by guilt for the rest of his life but he did what is best

January 1, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  16. anderson cooper

ben's comments are clearly just directed at folks in upper income brackets, or people who have safe, steady income from secure jobs. I dont think he would be arguing that those who cannot afford to spend should spend. just to clarify

January 1, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  17. Lori from IL

Loved Ben Stein's quote about Business being like sex. I agree - consumer confidence needs to come back and it must start with the people who have secure jobs and money they can afford to spend.

I did my part this holiday season - how about you, Anderson? Did you ever start, let alone finish Christmas shopping?

January 1, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  18. Ken C.

The sad part about these corporations is that the shareholders will end up paying the taxes. I dont think that it's really fair to the shareholders, but then again by investing in the corporations they took that risk. Anyone agree?

January 1, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  19. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

I do not know what I'd do if I were that guy on the mountain. Just thinking about having to make a decision like that makes me sad and my stomach hurt.

January 1, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  20. Judy from Halifax, Nova Scotia

Erica, how about consider resolutions like – pay 1 more hr a week with my dog. Read with my child one more hr per week. Give a donation which I didn't give last year, cash if you got it – or resolve to give one pie to the church fair in July – just that one little thing if you're really totally broke. Small but important stuff.

January 1, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  21. Ingrid from Northern VA

The CEO golden parachutes should not be part of any companies as well as if a government employee gets convicted of a crime (Sen. Ted Stevens) then all pension should be stopped! They don't have any penalities right now!

January 1, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  22. Heather - Spokane, WA

My resolution is to save more money. I did ok last year but I need to do better.

January 1, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  23. Ashley - Hamlin NY

As far as the Canadian avalanche story goes, I don't think any of us know unless we've been through it. Self-preservation has to kick in at some point...but I think deep down we all want to believe that we're the kind of person who sacrifices for other humans.

January 1, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  24. Deni NS

In the situation of the avalanche you can only do so much in a situation like that and better to go and get help then to all die and no one know you're there.

January 1, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  25. Steve - southern Illinois

I broke a 34 year nicotine addiction 20 months ago when my wife and I both quit smoking. I greatly encourage anyone who's giving up tobacco as a New Year's Resolution to stick with it. It really does get much much easier as time passes. 20 months into it I rarely think of cigarettes.

January 1, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  26. Brandi - bottom of the boot

how do we spend money we dont have? it always seems to end up in some CEOs pocket.

January 1, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  27. Paolo

Execs not paying taxes for taxpayers' bailout is just outright disgusting and unfair as middle class workers do backbreaking work to pay taxes!

January 1, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  28. Ben Balaran

The problem with these high ranking executives is that they can't relate to main street. They don't deserve any bonuses when their companies are tanking and their hardest working people are getting laid off

January 1, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  29. Lynae

Ben Stein makes a point–but if people buying refrigerators etc. would turn this economy around then wouldn't it have made more sense for the government to give the bail-out money to the taxpayers than to the banks and car-makers.

January 1, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  30. Rikki, Fargo, ND

So they get billions of dollars? and they don't pay taxes? That is absolutely ridiculous!

January 1, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  31. Candace from Canada

Erica I agree!
    Gary Tuchman and his daugher were so adorable!

January 1, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  32. Maureen, Georgia

Hi Erica, I have more of a goal than a resolution and that is to move back to Florida to be closer to my family.

January 1, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  33. Frank

Happy New Year Anderson.

January 1, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  34. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

The CEO of Circuit City lost his job?! When?!

January 1, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  35. Justin Jones - Rotterdam, NY

I want a $3.6 Million severance package and someone to pay my taxes!!!!

January 1, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  36. Ashley - Hamlin NY

I read that article in the Grey Lady. I think we all are so committed in the beginning that we tire of it quickly and can't keep up with it. Small changes are the way to go.

January 1, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  37. Lorna

Erica, I read that piece, "New year, New You? Nice Try." very interesting piece!

January 1, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  38. Jana, Indiana

You would think these companies would have learned their lessons about big payoffs to the head honchos, but I guess not.

January 1, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  39. Mary D

I agree with that Erica. I feel like I set myself up for failure by making resolutions.

January 1, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  40. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, I am with you, I also enjoy Ben's writings. They are thoughtful and interesting. It doesn't hurt that he is an animal lover as well.

January 1, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  41. Jacqui Chan

no resolutions cause I don't keep them neway then I get mad at myself

January 1, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  42. Kathy, Chicago

The govt seemed to be so careless with the first stimulus package, people are still afraid fto spend. I don't blame those who are skeptical of the new stimulus package.

January 1, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  43. Heather - Spokane, WA

Ben Stein is right, if you have the money to spend, now is the time to do it

January 1, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  44. ericacnn

There was an interesting piece in the NYT this morning about resolutions...and how we may be somewhat hard-wired to fail when we try to make drastic changes overnight. I think they're on to something.

Tracey, I have to agree re: Gary's daughter last night - she was my favorite part of the night! What a trooper and what a great young lady. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

January 1, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  45. Jeannine from PA

So, W already told us that it was patriotic to go shopping, and look where it got us. And now Ben Stein is saying to go out and shop? Talk about not learning your lesson!

January 1, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  46. Lorna

Erica, you looked so lovely last night!

I haven't even thought of resolutions. It doesn't feel like a new year. most probably, I'll have the same resolutions as 2008, or some extension in those lines.

January 1, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  47. JKR

Ben do you not understand no money at all, to spend on ourselves ? That is the life for most of us........

jkr

January 1, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  48. Ashley - Hamlin NY

Ben Stein's quote about sex and consumerism makes a lot of sense.

By the way, is it wrong that I idolize the person who stole the Madoff statue. Way to make a statement!

January 1, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  49. Dulcie - Denver

I like Ben Stein, but geez, I pray my refrigerator doesn't go out!

I just got a new job (Thank goodness), but I don't plan on spending on any discretionary items. I have a lot to catch up on before I begin buying clothes, household items, etc.

January 1, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  50. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I agree with Ben Stein. If you have the money, and yes some people do, spend and frequent your local community shops and businesses.

January 1, 2009 at 10:29 pm |