January 1st, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/1/09

Tonight on 360° we're following breaking news out of the Middle East.

New airstrikes on Gaza as the death toll continues to rise. We'll have a live report from Israel.

And, golden parachutes for corporate execs heading out the door.

Millions of dollars in severance handed out .. even if the company is failing .. and get this.. the CEOs don't pay the taxes.

We're keeping them honest.

Tell us what you think about the continuing violence in the Middle East as well as the continuing disconnect between Wall Street and Main Street.

Just follow our rules. Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book)
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Candace from Canada

Hey Erica! Happy New Year!
    Great Job Last night, that crowd seemed challenging at times!

No specific New Years resolutions here.
    I think every day is a chance to try to improve on whatever it is I want to improve on, some days more exercise, learn more, travel more, take chances I normally wouldn't take etc.
    All year round I am workin on my resolutions I guess.

🙂 What about you?

January 1, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  2. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Ben Stein said that? I must have missed that one!

January 1, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  3. Maureen T

Loved that analogy Anderson! 🙂

January 1, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  4. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Ben Stein is so right! Consumer spending and consumer confidence are what drives the economy and the more people spend the better this economy will get. If one can afford to spend they should!

That quote is classic Ben Stein! Love it!

January 1, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  5. Zach Bean

Well, on the bright side of things...gas is still cheap and that's good news for a college student.

January 1, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  6. Ashley - Hamlin NY

Resolutions? Ha, hasn’t everyone learned their lessons yet? I was in a car accident in August while down in New Orleans doing humanitarian work and I broke a leg and a hand – so I think getting through physical therapy would be a good start.

January 1, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  7. Gina-Clarksville,TN

My resolution is to lets see.... Stay off the computer and twitter soo much. I think my fingers are super glued to this thing!

January 1, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  8. Fay - CA

Hi Erica, my only resolution would be to develop a little more patience–especially when it comes to interacting with my family.

January 1, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  9. Jemaul-Savannah,Ga

Bill has held every other position. What's next? mayor?

January 1, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  10. Deni NS

This may seem a very stupid statement but wouldn't it have been better to take the bailout money and just give it directly to the people thus stimulating the economy when they spend money?

January 1, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  11. Eric

Only to make no resolutions....less stressful ya know.

January 1, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  12. Minou, New York City

Hi Erica, glad to see you've thawed. No resolutions for me...is anyone ever keeping those?

January 1, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  13. Mari T

Thank you so much for Everybody for doing hard work last midnight!
    Let's all create new wonderful year!

January 1, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  14. Russ

Watched you and Kathy from my warm living room in Sacramento. Wow...I felt bad for both of you out in the cold. Nice job!

January 1, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  15. David, Indiana

Putting it together, I hope Obama's stimulus package passes and works, given the story about bankrobberies.

I am truly hoping things quiet down in and around Gaza. No reason why couldn't happen

January 1, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  16. Ken C.

Hi Erica! Happy New Year! I have decided that this year, I will become more environmentally friendly! Not only do we have an economic crisis, but lets not forget he environmental issues we're facing!

January 1, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  17. Lori from IL

Happy New Year to Anderson, the Whole 360 team and fellow Bloggers.

Caught part of the NYE show - good to see Anderson laughing - although I wish Kathy Griffin would let him finish a sentence. Enjoyed seeing Erica and Gary & daughter in the crowd.

It's cold in IL, too, but I watched the New Years fireworks show over Lake Michigan on TV - toasty warm with friends and wine!

I was hoping the news would start out better in 2009 - Let's hope calmer heads prevail and there is no ground invasion.

My resolution is to be more hopeful. Consumer confidence needs to come back to turn the economy around.

January 1, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  18. Ingrid from Northern VA

Happy New Year!
    Fay, I just love the old Twilight Zones:) as well as the Dog Whispere marathon too..
    Anderson, you were mighty cold out there but it was entertaining to watch...
    Felt sorry for Erica down on the street with the drunk crowd not cooperating very well but kudos to her for taking things in stride!

January 1, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  19. Alex (Aliso Viejo)

Slept through my Californian NYE. I did watch New york's NYE party and it was awesome. I plan to watch it again next year or better yet, attend physically.

Sen Bill Clinton?? Most probably not. He has a lot on his plate at this time. But if ever he wants to, bet he doesn't need vetting. Exemplery resume.

I hope the war ends pretty soon. It is painful to watch it.

Economic stimulus? I'm all for it. I just hope it it not just plain monetary but something to help our mortgage crisis, sustainable job creation and tax cuts. I know, not gonna happen in California but you'll never know, right?

Have a great evening.

January 1, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  20. Dee F

Hi AC 360 crew,
    I was wondering about Gary Tuchman's daughter did she complete the run?

January 1, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  21. Niwat, Chicago

at the same token about Caroline, with her last name being The Kennedy, she is apt in the political circles and might bring in an elite perspective that NYC is famed for.

and No Mr Cooper is superior being a honest Journalist. who else could replace him?

January 1, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  22. EJ (USA)

But she doesn't have the option of being elected just yet. This one is going to be an appointment – no matter who it goes to.

January 1, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  23. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

No offense, but after all those 'Clear Eyes" commercials, I cannot take Ben Stein seriously. I'm sure he's a really smart man and all, but every time I look at him I think of eye-drops.

January 1, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  24. Brian Vagnoni

Pic of the Day

Ha Ha Governor Palin

January 1, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar- Shoreline, WA

Nope Guys!!!
    Anderson will not take job senator for NY.... sorry guys!

January 1, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  26. Max, Dallas, TX

Ugh, Ben Stein? I liked his game show, but he's no expert economist, so i really couldn't care less about his opinion.

January 1, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  27. Bonnie

Anderson watched you and Kathy last night–thanks for making the new year come in on a happy note. Very funning evening!! I hope you two and the rest of the team will be back again next year.

January 1, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  28. Judy from Halifax, Nova Scotia

. . . new years eve fires this happens every year. This latest one is similiar to the one in Boston, also in a night club, also limited doors open to exit, also use of sparklers or risky items. People just don't learn. It was all so preventable.

January 1, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  29. Ashley - Hamlin NY

Is the combination of war and technology scaring anyone else?

Soldiers and military personnel can just drop bombs with the push of a button and never have to see the family or the faces of the people they kill.

Plus, as people who are safe in our homes, we watch war so much on the television that for some people it doesn't even seem surprising.

Sad, scary world we're going into...

January 1, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  30. Deni NS

Did anyone else get a flashback to "its a wonderful life"? As for the picture with hillary clinton I'd say for the pic "heheheh I'll get my present next election"

January 1, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  31. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! New Year's Eve was great–from here, quiet and colorful.
    Watching the situation in the Middle East, I'd hope for less tension and more resolution–it seems that any ceasefire is fragile.

January 1, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  32. Maureen T

Love the glasses Erica Hill! Very cool! I hope you've warmed up from your stint last night! You were quite the trooper! Loved the hat too! 🙂

January 1, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  33. ericacnn

Happy New Year, bloggers! Any resolutions?

January 1, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  34. Maureen, Georgia

Anderson you'd make a great senator.

January 1, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  35. Maya from California

Israel is TINY (size of New Jersey?),
    the arabs have SO much land around it, SO many countries
    Jews want to live PEACEFULLY, and continue to develop this ONLY democracy in the area. Please live them alone.
    The whole issue is that the terrorists will not budge, together with Iran Syria etc. – they want to destroy Israel.
    Why support terrorism, and not condemn it?
    You have to ignore their cunning reverse psychology.
    Put a stop to Jew hating, and accept their right to... well...exist!
    thank you in all sincerity.

January 1, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  36. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

GEEZ! Get Nic out of Gaza! That's such a scary situation!

And I'd be even more depressed if Anderson left journalism to pursue a Senate seat, although I'm sure he'd be good at it, he cannot leave us CNNers out in the cold!

January 1, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  37. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Maureen...it would make Kelly Ripa proud...if she isn't too jealous! 🙂

January 1, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  38. Kathy, Chicago

Erica has defrosted! I loved the hats last night. I wear them to walk the dogs.

January 1, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  39. EJ (USA)

I'm glad that Anderson & Erica recovered successfully from hypothermia! I was worried about you guys!

January 1, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  40. Lorna

Happy New Year!!

I had people for N/Y's Eve and i was trying very hard to navigate the crowd and watch CNN. 🙂

I don't think Clinton wants to become a senator. i see that bloggers are saying "no other clinton, no other cuomo," but do we really want another kennedy?! my only concern is that ideal of meritocracy in the US.

January 1, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  41. Brandi - bottom of the boot

isnt the carnival cruise employee the 2nd person to fall off a ship recently?

oh, i love the note on the madoff statue.

January 1, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  42. Rekha, CA

Hi Anderson,

New Year's eve was cool. Thankfully I didn't have any nightmares. I take that as a blessing. How about you. Did you sleep well, after 12 midnight?
    Wish you a very safe, and above all a happy year through out.

Rekha

January 1, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  43. Jana

Anderson, your new years res. should be to run in the NYC marathon this November. What do you say!!?? You haven't lived until you've completed a marathon!

Jana-Louisiana

January 1, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  44. Matt

My New Year's Eve and New Year's Day was very good. Thanks for asking!

I also feel really bad for the man who chose between his own life and the life of his friend. Terrible.

January 1, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  45. Eva

Caroline Kennedy is not as qualified as Andrew Cuomo as she has not held office. She has been very generous to the community but if she wants to be a senator she should be elected. Andrew Cuomo certainly has more experience.

January 1, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  46. Candace from Canada

No to AC for NY Senate.
    How would I catch up on the news everynight if AC left to fill a Senate Seat?

🙂

January 1, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar- Shoreline, WA

I love The Clinton were good dancing!!! They were so awesome people! I doubt that if Bill will take job senate for his wife...... nope, I don't think he will not take senate for her.

January 1, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  48. Heather - Spokane, WA

Three bank robberies in one day? Where was everyone in the police department?

January 1, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  49. joan cairney

Senator Bill Clinton.
    This idea doesn't have a Patterson angle but if Bill takes the seat, he would be a placeholder for Hillary incase she doesn't play well and finds herself without a job in the next year or two. It would also calm people with the concern that Bill could go rogue if he doesn't have a project....Senate seat could be a safe muzzle that strokes his ego.

January 1, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  50. Maureen T

Yes, so true, Anderson and Kathy dancing was great too! He would make Kelly Ripa proud, wouldn't he?!

January 1, 2009 at 10:20 pm |