January 1st, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/1/09

Tonight on 360° we're following breaking news out of the Middle East.

New airstrikes on Gaza as the death toll continues to rise. We'll have a live report from Israel.

And, golden parachutes for corporate execs heading out the door.

Millions of dollars in severance handed out .. even if the company is failing .. and get this.. the CEOs don't pay the taxes.

We're keeping them honest.

Tell us what you think about the continuing violence in the Middle East as well as the continuing disconnect between Wall Street and Main Street.

Just follow our rules. Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book)
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Ashley - Hamlin NY

I don't condone it in any way, but I can see why people are so frustrated with the banks. I think a lot of it might be desperation and frustration than it is for the adrenaline or excitement. Especially with the bailout....

January 1, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  2. Minou, New York City

Jeez..robbing a bank! Why haven't I thought of that?

January 1, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  3. drew

why cant everyone just learn to spend their money more responsibly, instead of buying the big SUV by a used car, saving money on monthly car payments, insurance, and gas. dont by a Black Angus steak, just buy a cheap grade steak. and quit taking expensive vacations to myrtle beach. stay home. did your kid really need a Wii for christmas?

January 1, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  4. Simba Musuka

Happy New Year everyone! I like that comment by Errol Louis, AC for Senator!!

January 1, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  5. lee

Anderson, we can't watch Erica's webcam if it isn't on, neither is yours.

January 1, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  6. Fay - CA

I'm on the fence about Caroline Kennedy–she hasn't been very impressive during the few "interviews" she's given, but I do think she has potential–but we need to learn more about her.

January 1, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  7. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

Lori Ann, I agree with you about Caroline Kennedy. I guess she assumed that her last name would get her the job?

January 1, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  8. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I'm not getting Erica on the webcam. Just Vicks cough drop ad?

January 1, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  9. Janine from PA.

Who's picking up the tab? We are of course. That;s why I say give the people the bailout and forget those guys.

January 1, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  10. Miriam C

AC360 Team,

Wish you'll a very Happy New year and a good round of applaus.

Hope this year we have plenty of good news to talk about !!! Hope the war ends and I wonder what will keep us occupied, but surely we can fill in with something !!!

Once again, good job and best heartiest wishes to all of you'll

Luv.

January 1, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  11. Mike, Syracuse NY

Lorie Ann, you are exactly right. C. Kennedy has the typical Kennedy sense of entitlement.

January 1, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  12. Maureen T

My resolution is to get into shape! I hit a milestone birthday this year!

January 1, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  13. Brian Vagnoni

We want Anderson for NY Senator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 1, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  14. Deni NS

I think we've reached a point in history where we as a world either sink or swim in the next few years.

January 1, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  15. Ashley - Hamlin NY

@Maureen T – Yeah, it was great to see the Clintons dancing. It was better to see Griffin and Cooper dancing though! Kelly Ripa would be proud.

And as a New Yorker, I'd love Cooper to be the Senator. Although I think it'd be a sad day for journalism if he left.

January 1, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  16. EJ (USA)

Anderson already has a prestigious job. He wouldn't want to knock it down a few notches by becoming a NY Senator.

January 1, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  17. John Bergquist Newtown, CT

Bill Clinton would make a fantastic senator! As a former president, he would be a powerful presence in the Senate.

January 1, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  18. Tracey - Boston

John Quincy Adams did..but I see you point.

January 1, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  19. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

I never thought the economy would affect me, because I'm really young, and I live in such a small town, BUT I was laid off. 🙁 Not really laid off, but due to the financial crisis we are in, the retail store I work at is closing our store to save some money. It was depressing. Let's hope Obama can make these situations better.

January 1, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  20. Mike, Syracuse NY

Anderson, great point about Caroline Kennedy. No one knows what she is all about.

January 1, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  21. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, Erica, everyone. I'm glad there's mounting pressure to calm things down btwn Israel and Hamas. That situation needs to be defused before it gets out of control,

Nic Robertson's report shows some of the hardship of those rocket attacks, but those people in Gaza are extemely vulnerable.

I had a good New Years eve Anderson. Thanks to you and Kathy Erica, Don Lemon, Sean Calleb, John Zarella, Brooke Anderson...everyone, great shots of Times Square celebration.

January 1, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  22. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I think Caroline Kennedy thought she was a shoe in for the job. Maybe she didn't think she'd need to reach out to the people.

January 1, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  23. Paolo

Caretaker or not, we don't need another Clinton (nor a Cuomo) in the Senate!

January 1, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  24. Tracey - Boston

So no webcam or webcast tonight?

January 1, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar- Shoreline, WA

My 2009 resolution is goal to find new job for me!
    My breaking heart for him that was so awful to lose his friends.... I am so sad to see him cry! 🙁

January 1, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  26. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I didn't think that Former President Clinton would be interested in taking his wife's senate seat.

January 1, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  27. EJ (USA)

Let Cuomo and Kennedy have a debate.

January 1, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  28. Kathy, Chicago

Has it always been so difficult to appt a Senator. I know we have a nightmare in Ill.

January 1, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  29. Ashley - Hamlin NY

Maybe I'm just naive, and I understand that they both wanted the Holy Land, but wasn't it kind of irresponsible to put Israel where it is – surrounded by Islamic states when the two nations and peoples have a history?

I want to know why the UN isn't getting more involved. Can't Jerusalem be made into an international territory of sorts and something be negotiated?

How can there be all this fighting when we have seen so much war before. You'd think they would find another way.

January 1, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  30. Heather - Spokane, WA

I hope there will be more peace in 2009. I see no sense in all of this war

January 1, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  31. Minou, New York City

Bill Clinton taking a senate seat? haha...why on earth would he do that?

January 1, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  32. Maureen T

Great to see the Clintons dancing last night!

January 1, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  33. lynn

Gov. Patterson has stated clearly he does not want an interm senator and Bill Clinton says he doesn't want the job. This is all media gossip and the continuation of their love/hate relationship with the Clintons.

January 1, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  34. Dulcie - Denver

I guess I do have a resolution of sorts. I'm going to grow more of my own food this year. Gave it a test this last summer on a small scale and it went okay.

Also have to add that you and Kathy were brilliant last night. You kept me laughing and you two have a great comic chemistry. Thank you for a good way to see the year out.

January 1, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  35. Paolo

Happy new year Anderson! Great job anchoring last night. On Obama's economic plan: we have a trade-off between breaching the budget and letting consumer confidence suffer. It's a tough balancing act.

January 1, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  36. James, OH

Nic Roberston is a brave man and a talented reporter. I wonder where Michael Ware is, though? And if Anderson has plans to go to Israel, too?

January 1, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  37. Candace from Canada

That Avalanche story is so sad. Unfortunately there was another avalanche last night at Whistler Blacombe – another death.
    And an amazing story of survival – a snow boarder out on the mountain for 3 days and luckily found alive.

January 1, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  38. Deni makhoul

I feel for the guy who had to leave his friend on the mountainside and I know how voices in grief can carry in your memory.

January 1, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  39. lynn

Now the Prime Minister of the West Bank has broken off peace talks with Israel due to the bombing in Gaza.

Israel also has to meet halfway by opening the borders for food, fuel and medicine and to transfer the tax money that belongs to Palestine.

How do we know what is really happening in Gaza if Israel won't let reporters in?

January 1, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  40. Gina-Clarksville,TN

I feel bad for that survivor of the Avalanche. I bet that was a tough decision.

January 1, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  41. Mike, Syracuse NY

Ha, ha. Bill Clinton in the Senate. Well at least he's qualified, but the Senate interns better watch out.

January 1, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  42. Megan Dresslar- Shoreline, WA

I hope Obama will restore the economy or job will fix or adjust the problem after Jan 20.

January 1, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  43. Judy from Halifax, Nova Scotia

Great show last night AC, Erica and team. Hey that Kathy sure is a handful isn't she.

January 1, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  44. Niwat, Chicago

Hi Anderson and the team,

It was spectacular to see Times Square at the final night of 2008, Anderson and Kathy rocked!! I find glamorous hilarity in the couple, it's lovely to see Cooper enjoyed being poked fun at from the best humor-armed Griffin. Great times.

My 2009 resolution is take French lessons, be more disciplined about my diet, take more trips..what's your guys'?

January 1, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  45. Maureen, Georgia

Why are he republicans opposing the stimulus, all the experts say that there has to be a stimulus to get the economy back on track. I think they are just into opposing anything PE Obama does.

January 1, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  46. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I really hope that Obama can really do something about this economy. The dangers do lie in doing too little. I'm glad that the transition team does seem to be on top of this huge issue.

January 1, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  47. Ken C.

Good Evening Anderson, how long do you think this battle againt Israel will continue?
    I don't udnerstand why the CEO's dont have to pay taxes just like everyone else. Unfortunately, they've lost their jobs like many Americans... yet somehow everyone seems to be hanging- on, by a thread none-the-less; so why should they be exempt?

January 1, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  48. Kevin

Good evening, and Happy New Years to everyone! I hope 2009 will be a great year for you all.It's a shame that it had to start with the situation in Gaza. Especially since it looks like it won't be letting up anytime soon.

January 1, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  49. Patti Frank

It is all about power and control!! The Devil is getting his way!! God hates war! Hamas is getting what it deserves!
    Patti
    Lafayette, LA

January 1, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  50. Lisa L

Dear Anderson,

Congratulations for winning in the demo.

I did enjoy your broadcast and can see New York brought in 2009 with style.

One of my 2009 resolutions is to keep watching AC360 during my lunch break. It is a highlight of my day.

Sincerely,