January 1st, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/1/09

Tonight on 360° we're following breaking news out of the Middle East.

New airstrikes on Gaza as the death toll continues to rise. We'll have a live report from Israel.

And, golden parachutes for corporate execs heading out the door.

Millions of dollars in severance handed out .. even if the company is failing .. and get this.. the CEOs don't pay the taxes.

We're keeping them honest.

Tell us what you think about the continuing violence in the Middle East as well as the continuing disconnect between Wall Street and Main Street.

Just follow our rules. Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book)
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. John Bergquist Newtown, CT

For the economy to rebound, something major must be done regardless of cost. It will be the new "New Deal"

January 1, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  2. Ellen Hodorek

CNN's coverage from Gaza is amazing. Many thanks to your very brave and thorough correspondent.

January 1, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  3. Mike, Syracuse NY

Kendall, they aren't fighting over Gaza. Gaza was ceded to the Palestinians. The problem is Hamas wants it all, Gaza, and the rest of Isreal.

January 1, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  4. Deni makhoul

As for the new year I found it very interesting how over the new years night there was several spots hit with heavy snow, is it a sign of global weather changes? That was the thought going through my head.

January 1, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar- Shoreline, WA

Yes Stacy....
    You have a good point! I agree your comment, what you said "A ground invasion sounds like a very bad idea."

January 1, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  6. Fay - CA

Hello Anderson, I spent my New Year's eve mainly just watching the Twilight Zone marathon and then you and Kathy–there's not much happening where I live, so being able to relax and laugh with you and Kathy is a real treat.

January 1, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  7. Tracey - Boston

Kathy-Chicago

Gary's daughter was/is great!!! What a gal.

January 1, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  8. lynn

How can America be an honest broker for peace when the media is so biased as was the report tonight and they are arming Israel right up until last month?

January 1, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  9. Stephanie, MN

Good evening and Happy New Year to everyone. New Year's Eve was entertaining, to say the least, thanks to Anderson and Kathy keeping us laughing! Let's hope that 2009 is better in a thousand ways - for everyone across our nation... and around the world.

January 1, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  10. EJ (USA)

good evening everyone…thanks for joining the live chat tonite… how was your new year’s eve?

Well, with you and Kathy Griffin at the helm, I had a lot of laughs. It was great. Happy New Year!

January 1, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  11. Mike, Syracuse NY

Hamas fighters hide among the people and fire rockets. They are putting their own people at risk, hiding behind women and children.

January 1, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  12. Nicki Ferguson

I am saddened by the civilian casualities in Gaza. I feel for Israel continually being attacked and I feel for the people in Gaza being killed. Some of us, if not many, don't really have the knowledge of what they are fighting for. Is it for land? Is it brought on by racism? It is years of hatred dating back to a year from our grandfathers'? How can we suggest solutions (for Gaza) if we don't hear what they are saying? Hamas are terrorists and they have their followers but how do the rest of the people in the Gaza feel?

January 1, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  13. Heather - Spokane, WA

I hope the war that is going on in Gaza will end soon. This is not a good way to start out a new year.

January 1, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  14. Kendall , Pittsburgh

Happy New Year! How many more years can they fight over about a 25 mile long, 4-7.5 mile wide piece of land! There has to be some way to divide it equally and resolve this dire conflict!

January 1, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  15. Kathy, Chicago

It is the fiftieth anniversary of the peace symbol this year. I wish that Hamas and Israel would take it to heart. God Bless Nic Robertson.

January 1, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  16. Maureen, Georgia

Hi Anderson and bloggers, I spent new year's eve @ the hospital working, I'm a nurse. Happy New Year to everyone.

January 1, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  17. Stacy

A ground invasion sounds like a very bad idea.

January 1, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  18. Greg, Austin Tx

Great Times Square show AC. This Israel/Humas encounter will end but heaven help us when Jan 1, 2010 arrives. Something cosmic's bound to have happened between now and then but just wait until 2011.

January 1, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  19. Tracey - Boston

Nick Robertson - please be safe. You work looks very scary...I couldn't imagine living under those conditions

January 1, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  20. Megan Dresslar- Shoreline, WA

Yes! Anderson....
    I was so exciting new year today.... it was so great see you and Kathy together up the stage at Time Squares!!!! Wow you were so cold and freeze for 2 hours!!!! LOL Poor Anderson!!

January 1, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  21. Naissa

If I were Nic Robertson reporting from Gaza like that, I'd literally be shaking in my boots. Gotta love and deeply respect all you CNN reporters, that's for sure.

January 1, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  22. Dorothy

Hi Anderson – great NYE – loved watching you and Kathy! Great team......

Happy 2009 everyone!

January 1, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  23. Jana, Indiana

Nic please be safe in Gaza. It looks very dangerous for all.

January 1, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  24. Minou, New York City

I read in the NYT that they're allowing journalists into the Gaza strip..anyone of CNN going to Gaza?

January 1, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  25. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Was a sad start to the new year in Gaza. So much violence and bloodshed...its unbelievable. Mr. Robertson has a lot of guts to be out there.

January 1, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  26. Deni makhoul

My parents are from lebanon and I've been lucky enough to visit lebanon at a few interesting times and if there is one thing I've learned it's that the majority of innocent are those hurt most from the anger of the few. Gaza is another example of that.

January 1, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  27. Stacy

This is horrible. Fighting with poor children caught in the middle.

January 1, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  28. Drew Mitchell

Hi Anderson and bloggers.

My friends and I had a great time watching you and Kathy last night during our festivities.

I hope that peace comes to the middle east. What a perfect world it would be if this year could be full of peace. I hate to admit that I do not know much about Israel and Gaza not to mentinon Hama.

I'll be doing some research.

January 1, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  29. Candace from Canada

Good Evening Anderson, Erica &
    360 Crew!
    Happy New Year! 🙂

January 1, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  30. Maureen T

Good evening Anderson! My New Year's Eve was great, spent it with family and you and Kathy!...It's the beginning of the new year and there is still no peace in the Middle East!

January 1, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  31. Chris, CA

Happy New Year 360! We had a quiet New Year's last night here in The Bay Area. Unfortunately, there was a lot of fog over San Francisco so no fireworks here, only big fluffy pink clouds!

January 1, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  32. Ashley - Hamlin NY

Happy 2009 everyone! Everyone did a great job last night to bring in the new year.

January 1, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  33. Gina

Happy New Year. ..Definatley not a good start in Gaza

January 1, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  34. Naissa

Hey everyone! Happy New Year!

And Anderson, thanks for keeping me occupied on New Year's Eve! You and Kathy Griffin were the only joyous thing that happened to me all night. Seriously.

January 1, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  35. pat

Thanks, Anderson. It was cold; like you said, I can't imagine being out there for more than a few hours. I was freezing down to the bone!

I am amazed by the amount of trash generated.

January 1, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  36. Dulcie - Denver

Good evening Anderson, Erica and all! Glad to see you survived last night.

Nice quiet New Years Eve here. A warm fire and a little wine was a good way to see out one of my worst years ever.

Looking forward to watching tonight.

January 1, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  37. Megan Dresslar- Shoreline, WA

Hello Anderson and best bloggers!!!
    I had blast time watch you last night with Kathy!!! it was great new year!!!
    Oh boy!!! conitue war for 5 or 6 days, I hope Nic Robertson will safe from rocket in the air!

January 1, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  38. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

It is really sad to see the start of the New Year with so much bloodshed. It seems it never ends.

January 1, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  39. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good Evening Anderson and bloggers! New Year's was good! I rang it in with you and Kathy...another incredible show!

January 1, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  40. Ashley - Hamlin NY

I'm not sure I knew it was possible to become a Senator after being President. Huh. I suppose one can do things backwards. At least we know he's qualified.

It's so sad that war is bringing in the new year. And it's disturbing that it's become so common to see dead bodies on the television.

January 1, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  41. Diane - IL

Good evening Anderson. I had a fun time watching you and Kathy last night.

January 1, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  42. Brandi - bottom of the boot

doesnt look like a good start for 2009 in gaza.

January 1, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  43. Lauren--NY

Fantastic thanks to you and Kathy–thanks for a great show with a lot of laughs–sorry you had to deal with some creeps, but it comes with the territory I guess. You're very multifaceted–I admire that you do well in entertainment as well as your wonderful contributions to journalism. Happy New Year!

January 1, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  44. Minou, New York City

Happy New Year to everyone!

January 1, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  45. Kathy, Chicago

Yikes, AC, I went to a horrible party, but I watched your show today and all was right with the world! Don Lemon is a great addition to the 360 team and I loved Gary T's daughter.

January 1, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  46. Brandi - bottom of the boot

goodevening all. somebody turn on the webcam, please. 🙂

January 1, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  47. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Well, Anderson, I'd bet that most of us had a much warmer evening than you. Have the facial muscles started functioning again? I hope the ear lobes are defrosted and ready to hear the pundits wise words.

January 1, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Tracey - Boston

Good Evening Anderson,

I was at 55th and 7th and believe it or not I was warm (many layers).

I left NYC earlier today, back to work tomorrow

January 1, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Heather - Spokane, WA

Good evening Anderson and everyone. My new year's eve was ok, I worked. By the way, the snow up here in Spokane is finally melting.....for now anyway!

January 1, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. anderson cooper

good evening everyone...thanks for joining the live chat tonite... how was your new year's eve?

January 1, 2009 at 9:51 pm |