January 1st, 2009

Happy New Year

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/01/01/nye.ac.timessquare.jpg]

Anderson Cooper

I wanted to take a moment and wish everyone a happy new year. Last night with Kathy Griffin was fun, though I could have done without the freezing cold temperatures. Some of the people in Times Square waited more than twelve hours. I honestly don’t know how they did it. I was out there for about four hours and am still trying to thaw out. The show last night was certainly unpredictable, and there were a few moments I could have lived without, but I love being in Times Square at the stroke of midnight, and I hope you enjoyed the broadcast. I haven’t really made any resolutions this year, I just hope it’s a happier year for all those who have been hit hard by the economy and by conflict in 2008.

I also wanted to thank you for making us the number one broadcast at 10pm in the most important viewer demographic. We spent a lot of time this year on politics and more recently, the economy, and have really tried to stay focused on bringing you real news and smart, in-depth analysis. Our competition at Fox won among total viewers, and I congratulate her for that, but winning in the demo is a major accomplishment for us. In addition to thanking all our viewers, I also want to thank the men and women I work with. They put in a lot of long hours and they work very hard to bring you the best broadcast possible. I am very proud of the team we have assembled, and all of us here look forward to working hard for you in the new year.

Filed under: Anderson Cooper
  1. Dean T.

What a great way to spend New Year's Eve at home, watching you and Kathy last night.. We had such a blast and can't wait for next year's, if you are still up for it.

We hope CNN management sees the many positive things that came out of last night's NYE show that they will continue to bring Kathy back. I am sure you will get many of those "I hate Kathy and will never watch CNN again" email comments, but keep in mind that more people tend to actively complain than praise.

January 2, 2009 at 2:59 am |
  2. Vanessa, El Paso,TX

Hey Anderson, my plans definitely failed last night but watching you and Kathy was SOOO much fun. I'm actually glad my plans didn't go as expected otherwise I wouldn't have laughed my tush off! Thank you so much for making us laugh. I do want to wish you a Happy New Year you and your crew. You guys have done a wonderful job make sure you tell your team that! As for resolutions, I stopped doing those many-a-year ago, but I do hope to watch more AC360 and my ULTIMATE goal is to win t least 1x, Beat 360! Good luck to you in everything you do! Be safe because who else would we get our news from?!

January 2, 2009 at 2:48 am |
  3. Bonnie Noble

From Canada EH! I am starting to seriously think what I will do without you on CNN? when/if you ever decide to do something else. I didn't want to go out last night because I was going to miss you with Kathy. So luckily I caught the show about 5 minutes to 12. Then I stayed up to watch it from beginning at 2 p.m. as it aired again. Yes everyone in my family, including the kids think I am crazy when it comes to you and CNN but seriously how could I miss your reactions to Kathy. I knew the show would be very entertaining and well, you both delivered. Thanks for starting my year off laughing after all don't we all need a little more of that. And yes, here in Canada, just outside of Toronto, we need it too.

By the way, I said to my husband last night "can you believe that Anderson knows so much about so much?", hurricanes, politics, the economy, really Anderson, you seem to be a really great guy.

By the way, Happy New Year to you also.

January 2, 2009 at 2:23 am |
  4. lisaonline

hi anderson. the time-zone for me was off by a couple of hours – but it certainly was an entertaining broadcast! too bad it was so cold.

stay positive for 2009. i am an eternal optimist. i can't help it. i hope for 2009 that those in search of peace will find it.
    @lisaLJL

January 2, 2009 at 2:15 am |
  5. Melissa B. ~ California

Anderson,
    I'm a huge CNN fan and I enjoyed watching your coverage of New Years Eve at Time Square. Kathy and you were a lot of fun and laughs. I like Kathy Griffin and think she is a very nice funny lady, but I got a little aggrevated when she though it was funny to constantly interrupt you while you were trying to describe to us the unfolding events happening at the moment. I would love to see you both team up again next year but someone needs to tell Kathy to stop interrupting you all the time. "I'm just keepin' 'em honest."

Happy New Year to you both!

January 2, 2009 at 1:51 am |
  6. Tomi

Anderson Cooper. Very nice job.

I wasn't a really a fan before last night, but I'm so glad I watched. It was unbelievably entertaining. My sister and I are still quoting lines/talking about how funny it was.

The double ts thing is hilarious.

I look forward to watching AC360 in the coming year!

Peace!

January 2, 2009 at 1:30 am |
  7. Julliet

Happy new year Anderson, all the best in the year. Congrate to you and the AC360 crew for the outstanding work of the past year. You deserve the award. I look forward to a more interesting year full of insightful reporting and quality journalism. I enjoyed watching you and Kathy last night, although I think it's time for her to retire and let Erica fill that spot. She has wits and creative intelligence, Erica I mean. Have a happy new year and be safe.

January 2, 2009 at 1:22 am |
  8. Dorothy-CA

Happy New Year Anderson – congrats on your ratings. I watch every night and sure do enjoy and learn lots too!

I abosolutely love you and Kathy together and hope that it is a constant for each new year. You left us early here in CA and after I went to look at other shows – decided none of them seemed to be having the fun you and Kathy were having. You both play off of each other so well! Loved the dancing (better watch out for Kelly now) and loved all the laughing. What a fun time!

Keep up all the good work.

January 2, 2009 at 1:13 am |
  9. Tommy

Happy New Year Anderson!

You and Kathy Did an awesome job last night and watched the full broadcast! 🙂

Thanks for an awesome new years!

January 2, 2009 at 12:36 am |
  10. Casey McKay

I was channel surfing last night and came across your show. You and Kathy transformed my livingroom into a New Years party. I never laugh out loud at tv shows. But, last night laughing was happening here. Thanks for the great show.

January 2, 2009 at 12:10 am |
  11. Pat Canada

Happy New Year Anderson. I enjoyed your New Year Broadcast last night but must say, I don't know how you keep smiling being with Kathy Griffin for that long ! And two New Years in a row! I gotta hand it to you, Kudos! Too bad you didn't get to watch Ron James in Winnipeg! Ha Loved Erica's Hat !

January 2, 2009 at 12:05 am |
  12. Marvin M. Porter

Hi Anderson:
    First of all, Happy New Year to you and CNN. When it comes to news casters, you are the best. I always enjoy watching your show.
    You truly have your act together. I would truly love to meet you in person. You have a great sense of humor, and if in a course of a day,
    I feel, if you can make just one person laugh, thats a big accomplishment, theres too much sadness in the world.
    Take care Anderson, and keep up the good work.

January 2, 2009 at 12:02 am |
  13. Monica Kensington-Landis

How about you and Erica Hill for next New Year's Eve in NYC??
    You two are awesome together!

January 2, 2009 at 12:01 am |
  14. LARA RIFFLE

Never watched CNN til they added Kathy to the mix. Thank you, I no longer watch Dick Clark, because it is not him. My choice now is CNN, for the Griffin flair. Kathy you have arrived. People who don't enjoy her humor,voice, and whatever, can tune in elsewhere. It really is simple, I thank CNN for giving me this opportunity to enjoy my eve with Andie and Kathy. I grew up watching Mr. Clark, now I can't bear to view his failing health, it makes me sad. So I tuned in to you Anderson, laughed and had a happy eve. While I could have wrote someone to complain to pull Dick off the air ,because, he affects me in an unwelcomed way. Since I can now change channels from the comfort of sitting on my butt, I enjoy what I want. I have learned about the world being a regular CNN viewer, thanks. Hope world will learn instead of watching something you don't enjoy and then complaining about it, you here in America have the choice to view what you like. Unless there was a rash of hostages last night.

January 1, 2009 at 11:57 pm |
  15. Wayne, Toronto, ON

Anderson, you and Kathy were *hilarious* New Year's Eve. I actually stayed home in part because I was having a hoot watching you guys!! (Plus it was friggin' cold outside, and going to see fireworks at city hall lost some of its appeal.)

Thanks for making it worthwhile staying in. You beat the competition hands down. ABC and NBC tried to entertain with raucous unseasonal music (well, okay, you guys did too, but then it was back to the comedy!). At midnight, you knew to shut up and let the natural sound in Times Square take over.

All the best in 2009.

January 1, 2009 at 11:54 pm |
  16. Daphne

I need to stress how absolutely annoying Kathy was last night. How could you not say, "Woman! Will you shut up for two seconds??" Even if what she was saying was funny, which most of it wasn't, the sound of her voice alone made me want to change the channel. She is an offensive, blasphemous person and strives on that persona for her career. If you find the ratings of last night's show to be lower than previous years, please know it was HER not you!!! If the ratings are higher... I'm moving to Canada.

January 1, 2009 at 11:50 pm |
  17. Jim,

HAPPY NEW YEAR Anderson- Still thawing out?????

January 1, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  18. Mary Western, NY

Great show! I too loved the version of "Somewhere over the rainbow"

Great coverage of New Orleans... been thinking all day of wanting to go and try some of those crab cakes!

Thanks for making me smile!!

January 1, 2009 at 9:02 pm |
  19. Lisa L

Dear Anderson,

Congratulations for winning in the demo.

I did enjoy your broadcast and can see New York brought in 2009 with style.

One of my 2009 resolutions is to keep watching AC360 during my lunch break. It is a highlight of my day.

Sincerely,

Lisa L
    Sydney, Australia

January 1, 2009 at 8:58 pm |
  20. Karin (Killeen, TX)

I wanted to thank you and Kathy for making you laugh SO much on New Year's Eve. My husband is in Afghanistan. My 2 kids (ages 2 and 8 months) and I were supposed to spend the holidays with my family but we got sick at the last minute. So, needless to say, I was in some definite need of some comic relief. Thanks!

January 1, 2009 at 8:57 pm |
  21. Renee

Happy New Year to you Anderson, Erica and the 360 crew!

I do have some thoughts for 2009. I am sure you will be covering the economy and the first 100 days of Obama on the program.

When you cover the economy would you share with viewers the positive aspects of the economy. The sectors that are doing well. Maybe some families that are "hunkering down" and riding the wave but still doing well. Ones that still have peace and happiness in their homes and can inspire others. People need inspiration and not fear. I can introduce 360 to several families doing just this and doing well and keeping the balance in their lives.

Also, there is a very interesting article in Reader's Digest this month, "Memo to the President." The article highlights 18 statesmen and women to give Obama their best advice on the most pressing issues we face. It is a great read. It would be interesting to hear from of these folks and their thoughts and ideas of a stronger and better America.

Finally, I hope next year Erica gets a bigger role in the NYE event on CNN. She is full of talent and is witty and fun. She needs to be on that platform too. Your show would be more like Lucy and Ricky. Fun, fresh and family like. Maybe Kathy can be in the crowd next year.

January 1, 2009 at 8:53 pm |
  22. Kathleen Greene

Anderson, I watch you every day and find you to be an honest and knowledgeable, and a man of integrity. I was terribly insulted for you
    last night as I found your co host to be horrible. A mouthy loud
    mouthed horrible person. She was RUDE and did nothing to enhance
    your personality . I watched you for 10 minutes an had to go to another station.

Happy New Year and Please do not waste your intelligence by appearing with Kathy again.

January 1, 2009 at 8:52 pm |
  23. Darrell rock hill s.c.

New Years was great! Kathy and Anderson, you guys rocked last night!!!!! Best duo on t.v.

January 1, 2009 at 8:47 pm |
  24. Max

Happy New Year!!!!

:))))

January 1, 2009 at 8:45 pm |
  25. Patti Frank

Hi Anderson,
    Happy New Year!! Iam from New Orleans and I love the way you love that city!! You are so good with keeping up with everyone since Katrina. You never forgot and that is nice! The culture is great and so is having you!! Lets make you an official CAJUN!!! Come back soon!
    Have a great 2009 and safe travels.
    Kind Regards,
    Patti Frank
    Lafayette, LA

January 1, 2009 at 8:45 pm |
  26. Maureen T

Hey Anderson,
    so happy to see you dancing with Kathy! I knew she could get you to dance, more than once too! 🙂 Thanks Kathy for loosening up Mr. Cooper!!

January 1, 2009 at 8:33 pm |
  27. Nancy

Anderson,

I'm sorry but I could not watch your program because of your awful co-host Kathy Griffin. Please get an intelligent, dignified co-host next year! You don't need rude humor and dumb questions on New Years Eve.

January 1, 2009 at 8:22 pm |
  28. Esther, Ca.

Happy New Year Anderson!!

Great show last night! Wonderful to see you in a relaxed state, you seemed to really enjoy yourself. Since I am in CA, I surfed the other New Year shows after yours was off, and I must honestly say you and Kathy were the best show on last night! Hope you two team up again next year. Keep up the excellent work on AC360.

Happy New Year, may 2009 be a better year for all of us.

January 1, 2009 at 8:18 pm |
  29. Teresa Davis

New Year's Eve was a blast with you and Kathy. You all are great together. I want to thank you and your staff for keeping me and the rest of the world informed on things we need to know. Some people don't like to report bad only the good or they like to smear. Thanks! CNN is my network and AC360 is my favorite news type show.

January 1, 2009 at 8:18 pm |
  30. Laila ON, Canada

I haven't laughed so much in a long while. You and Kathy are a kind of a modern day Abbott and Costello. Hopefully the CNN execs will be smart enough to let you two team up again for New Years Eve 2009.

Take Care

January 1, 2009 at 8:16 pm |
  31. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Happy New Year Anderson.

I have to agree with Jana and Joanne, I did not appreciate Griffin's off color "humor" or listening to her cackling voice. Except for Gary's Central Park Run and Sushi's "shoe drop," which you guys screwed up, I did not enjoy the program.

I guess CNN decided to choose controversy over quality because, beside trash mouth Griffin, who in the world would book Lil Wayne on a NYE special?

Things can only get better after that fiasco!

January 1, 2009 at 8:14 pm |
  32. Helen Bullen, Reading, UK

Hello Anderson, a very Happy New Year to you from England! I hope that 2009 brings everything you wish for, right now I guess that might be a hot water bottle! I've taped the show (as I do every night)and look forward to watching it later. My only New Year's wish is for you to pop over to my side of the pond sometime, you wouldn't need the hot water bottle then..wink, wink.. You do a great job with the best team, long may it continue! Oh, and Jack Gray deserves a promotion! Thanks for keeping me informed, amused and a tiny bit in love, sigh! With lots of love to you and the 360 crew for 2009, Helen x x x

January 1, 2009 at 8:11 pm |
  33. Lesa, TN

Happy New Year everybody.

Hi Anderson,

This is the first time I've enjoyed watching the ball drop in New York on another channel. I've been watching ABC for years, but they've never made me laugh as much as you and Kathy.

You guys had me laughing so hard. Who needs live music when you have Kathy Griffin.

January 1, 2009 at 8:10 pm |
  34. Elizabeth in Kansas

Hi Anderson,

First, a thank you to you and all the staff at CNN for all the great programming that we receive every day of the year.

My husband and I enjoy watching CNN on New Year's Eve, and last night was the best yet. You and Kathy make a great team, and you can really hold your own with her. We hope that you two team up again together next December 31st, as we were laughing the whole time you two were on the air. Have a happy and successful 2009!

January 1, 2009 at 8:08 pm |
  35. Lilibeth

Hi Anderson, Happy New Year! I'm here in Montana, but the hotel I'm staying in has no TV, so I'm sorry I didn't get to see your NYE show last night, but I bet it was a lot of fun. I'm on a ski holiday, temp is around 24 F. I thought I'd be freezing out here, but since I'm working my butt off skiing, I can't even feel how cold it is. It's been fun here but I can't wait to go home. Congrats on being the # 1 news show at 10p. You and your team do a terrific job every night, which is why you have my loyal viewership. I look forward to 2009 and I want to wish you a very Blissful New Year!

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

January 1, 2009 at 8:04 pm |
  36. Heather - IN

I really loved ringing the New Year in with Anderson Cooper and getting to see the Clintons. Kathy Griffin was a bit embarassing at times though... If I may recommend Anderson Cooper and D.L. Hughley to ring in 2010! Two of my favorite CNN dudes! Happy New Year!

January 1, 2009 at 8:04 pm |
  37. Mindy

Anderson,

I actually watched most of the show last night. As for your co-host, the never at a loss for words Kathy Griffin, well let's just say that I can take her in small doses. There were some unfortunate lapses of taste and I think you know what they were. But I do like how she brings out the human side of you and makes you laugh so much.

I do think you should have worn a hat and gloves. No wonder you are still thawing out. I was watching the show from the comfort of home out here in beautiful L.A., where it was about 60 degrees when you started your broadcast. I was so glad to be out here and not living in my native hometown.

You seem really competitive, so I am glad that you did well in the ratings. Although I have not always been thrilled with your broadcast this year, I am still watching. That's good news for you.

January 1, 2009 at 8:04 pm |
  38. joanne osinkowski ontario canada

No offense Anderson but you have to retire Kathy Griffin. I had to retire @ 11pm because I just could not take one more second of her annoying voice.

January 1, 2009 at 7:58 pm |
  39. Jana, Indiana

I know I will be called a prude and will be in the minority, but I just didn't like some of the comments of Kathy Griffin, but apparently most people do, along with you Anderson. I guess each to their own.

I did enjoy seeing Gary run with his daughter in Central Park. That was so sweet.

I hope 2009 is great for you Anderson and all the bloggers.

January 1, 2009 at 7:56 pm |
  40. Candace from Canada

Hello Anderson!

I watched last night also – my first New Years Eve with you and Kathy and it was quite enjoyable.

You looked great considering how cold it was. (believe it or not it is still -43 here in the Northwest Territories!)

You did a great job of trying to keep Kathy on topic, I like Kathy as a performer, but thought there were a couple of comments that we could have done without.
    You two were funnier together the night before on AC360. New Years
    Eve she just seemed to be trying too hard to be shocking.

As for your program I love it! Have gotten a bit addicted to it during the last part of 2008. I appreciate and enjoy the hard work that you and your crew put into each report. I look forward to an exciting 2009!

Best wishes and Happy New Year to all of you at AC360!
    From a loyal Canadian Fan!
    😉 cam_canada

January 1, 2009 at 7:52 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar- Shoreline, WA

Hellooo Anderson!!!!!
    You and Kathy had blast time last night!!!!! you was great dancing Kathy!!!!! Kathy always picking you!!!! I saw you and Kathy were so cold and freeze for 2 hours!!!!!! I have blast time myself to watch you and Kathy!!! you guys made me laugh so hard!!!! I am so huge of fans you and Kathy. I love both of you guys!! That was so awesome people on the street were counting down to one say Happy New Year!!! me too!! I am so happy what you have to warm up with Kathy..... it was so amazing to see you and Kathy had fun party time together!! she cracked me up so funny lady!! I missed you so much!!
    I will see you on live blog tonight...... and program 360!
    Happy New Year to you, Anderson and best bloggers!!!! Cheers!!!!! Welcome to new year 2009!!!!!!!!!!!

January 1, 2009 at 7:45 pm |
  42. Susan

Anderson

I would like to wish you, Erica and the entire AC 360 staff a very Happy New Year. You have alot of class and put out some top notch programming. I look forward to watching AC 360 and your many special programs in 2009.

Susan
    Phoenixville,PA

January 1, 2009 at 7:40 pm |
  43. Pam H.

Thank you Anderson and Kathy for the entertainment last night!! Please CNN always make it a tradition to keep AC with Kathy Griffin for the New Years Eve show as they have a great chemistry. The fun was so that you could forget your troubles and laugh awhile.
    Anderson, your hard work and dedication show in all you do, you are so appreciated for all you bring to us. I have watched CNN nightly all this past (important) year and have learned so much from AC360. You and your team have kept so many well informed – also provided much needed information info with Planet in Peril.
    Would love to know more about you through blogs as others would also. Thank you again for a fun night, and wishing you and AC360 staff the best 2009!
    ~ Pam – Nashville, TN

January 1, 2009 at 7:37 pm |
  44. irene from buenos aires argentina

Happy New Year Anderson!! for you and your staff and CNN
    It was 3 in the morning here , but i can´t afford to loose this fantastic party at time square
    thank you for all your hard work, planet in peril , i think make a difference!!

you are a PRO, and look so cute!!!

January 1, 2009 at 7:36 pm |
  45. Tracey - Boston

Happy New Year Anderson,

I was there but unfortunately my train was 1-1/2 hours late. By the time I checked in to my room and venture out it was 9:00. I ended up at 55th and 7th. Short as it was I enjoyed New York.

I enjoy the show and when there is breaking news I can't wait until 10:00 because I know your program and everyone involved has prepared the best explainable reporting.

I recorded the show so I could watch the magic. Now, to soak my feet turn on the VCR and wait for Chinese delivery.

January 1, 2009 at 7:24 pm |
  46. Cat

Worked last night but tivoed you and Kathy ~ had such a fab time watching AND REWINDING! It's refreshing to see you and your fellow CNNers being so real. I hope that the entire team will become a tradition.Thanks for the work you do and for keeping yourself honest Boo

January 1, 2009 at 7:19 pm |
  47. John Bergquist Newtown, CT

Anderson,

I just wanted to thank you and Kathy for a fantastic broadcast last night. Braving the cold was worth the effort. You guys made me laugh. Usually New Year's is pretty quiet for me and its nice to have something to look forward to. I hope Kathy comes back next year! I will continue to watch you, Anderson, and the entire CNN team. You guys do a phenomenal job. I am serious news and political junkie and appreciate CNN's intelligent, unbiased coverage. Good luck to all in the New Year!

January 1, 2009 at 7:17 pm |
  48. Greg S. in Chicago

Hmm – was the moment you could do without when Kathy shouted at a guy in the crowd about how she doesn't go to his job and.....?

In spite of that, you can tell she's a good person – and it's always obvious what a great person you are. It really comes through when you are doing a show where you can be yourself.

I watch 360 every night, and have gotten many others at the office to do the same. I look forward to it each day. Thank you – and thanks to your team – for putting on such a great show that also has humor and humanity.

January 1, 2009 at 7:16 pm |
  49. Andria

Thank you and your crew for perpetually putting out great broadcasts. Your viewers appreciate that you are honest and thorough...and, during difficult times, the fact that you are frequently able to maintain a sense of humor makes even the bad news a little more bearable.

Have a wonderful new year.

January 1, 2009 at 7:15 pm |
  50. Russell

Anderson,

Huge fan of yours- Loved hearing and watching you laugh at and with Kathy. Keep up the great work and hope that there will be year number 3 with your partner in crime.

Russell- Hawaii