January 1st, 2009

Happy New Year

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/01/01/nye.ac.timessquare.jpg]

Anderson Cooper

I wanted to take a moment and wish everyone a happy new year. Last night with Kathy Griffin was fun, though I could have done without the freezing cold temperatures. Some of the people in Times Square waited more than twelve hours. I honestly don’t know how they did it. I was out there for about four hours and am still trying to thaw out. The show last night was certainly unpredictable, and there were a few moments I could have lived without, but I love being in Times Square at the stroke of midnight, and I hope you enjoyed the broadcast. I haven’t really made any resolutions this year, I just hope it’s a happier year for all those who have been hit hard by the economy and by conflict in 2008.

I also wanted to thank you for making us the number one broadcast at 10pm in the most important viewer demographic. We spent a lot of time this year on politics and more recently, the economy, and have really tried to stay focused on bringing you real news and smart, in-depth analysis. Our competition at Fox won among total viewers, and I congratulate her for that, but winning in the demo is a major accomplishment for us. In addition to thanking all our viewers, I also want to thank the men and women I work with. They put in a lot of long hours and they work very hard to bring you the best broadcast possible. I am very proud of the team we have assembled, and all of us here look forward to working hard for you in the new year.

Filed under: Anderson Cooper
  1. Kathy Nicholson

I ran back inside to hibernate after being outside for 1/2 hour yesterday so I really appreciate you braving the cold to give us an enjoyable New Year's Eve. The unpredictable moments were entertaining, but your right, there were a few I could of lived without. My Aunt Marie used to tell me stories about Time's Square at midnight back in the 1940's and I hope I can experience it some time. Happy New Year to you and all the staff and thanks for an entertaining and educational year. I'm looking forward to a great 2009!
    Kathy Acme, Pa.

January 1, 2009 at 7:13 pm |
  2. Brandi - bottom of the boot

Is it over yet? 🙂 can i stop drinking now? lol

i must say, i did find the courage after a few drinks and calming my puppy down to watch the show. i was also jealous that kathy got to dance with you, but even more because she got at least a partial unwilling spooning from you! lol

my favorite part of the show, when you actually said 'pap smear'. i couldnt speak for 5 minutes at least and i almost passed out. needless to say, my abs are a little sore today, but they shall recover.

you and kathy make a great team, and everyone did a great job. thank you all. its the first NYE broadcast i have watched in 16 years, a very big step for me.

all the best for 2009 *meager attempt at displaying pseudo-excitement*

January 1, 2009 at 7:06 pm |
  3. Lauren--NY

You guys had a fantastic show last night! You should be incredibly proud of the work that you do and the heart that you put into it. Congratulations on winning the demographic–it's a well-earned achievement. No matter what happens, it is a great source of comfort and pride that we have a free press in this country because of guys like you.

"Above all else, however, the press itself must unwaveringly guard the First Amendment guarantees of a free press. The free press, after all, is the central nervous system of a democratic society. No true democracy, as we understand the term, can exist without it."
    ~Walter Cronkite

Thank you, Anderson, for everything you do.

Go have some hot soup and thaw out, and give Kathy a big hug for me. Happy New Year, buddy. Travel safely.

January 1, 2009 at 7:00 pm |
  4. Ally

Kathy Griffin was annoying last night. I couldn't watch. Please do not have her participate again.

January 1, 2009 at 6:54 pm |
  5. Janine from PA.

I hope you have recovered from co hosting with Ms. Griffin. And have thawed out too. I enjoy watching your coverage as I got to hear John Lennon which I had never known was played before the ball drop. Also Sinatra and Ray Charles and Armstrong. I like to experience times square without the chatting. Have a healthy and safe new year with all the places you will travel to, Mr. Cooper.

January 1, 2009 at 6:51 pm |
  6. Alex

Dear Anderson,

I loved you last night, but I could have done without Kathy. She ruined the count down and was a little rude to the other anchors, and you. But you were fabulous. I still love you and your show. Keep up the good work and keep making me laugh.

Happy New Year!!!!!!

Alex

January 1, 2009 at 6:50 pm |
  7. Norm

Enjoyed most of the coverage of the New Year's Eve festivities. Besides the cold weather you could have done well without Kathy Griffin. I fail to see how her verbal impulsivity is humourous. She was at times abrasive and insensitive. I hope they were paying you "combat pay" to tolerate being with her throughout the night. Please...leave her out of the festivities next year!

January 1, 2009 at 6:50 pm |
  8. John

I was at the TGIFridays in Times Square. It is the best party in NYC on New Year's Eve.

January 1, 2009 at 6:46 pm |
  9. Tammy. Berwick. LA

Happy New Year's. Last night I actually convinced the diehard Dick Clark friends at our party to break tradition and watch you when it was midnight your time. Being in Times Square for New Year's Eve was amazing when I went, and as much fun as I had with my family and friends this year, I realized watching how much I missed the energy of the holiday in NYC. Definitely worth another trip up...

Congrats on the ratings win. It's well earned. You guys do an awesome job. You have always allowed all viewpoints to be heard so that people can expand their thinking and make informed decisions, and in the heat of a very insane political season and turbulent world, I appreciated the honesty. And still do.

2009 is just going to rock!!! It simply has no choice.

January 1, 2009 at 6:45 pm |
  10. Claire in Birmingham, AL

Happy New Year!! I had so much fun watching the New Years Eve countdown last night...there was a time I actually fell out of my chair I was laughing so hard. Congratulations on the success you and your show has had over the year and I hope it only continues further into 2009.

Hope you thaw out soon!!

Claire

January 1, 2009 at 6:44 pm |
  11. Lisa

Thanks for the laughs....especially Kathy at the end......:)

January 1, 2009 at 6:43 pm |
  12. anne,newfoundland,canada

Hello, Anderson:

I want to wish you a very Happy New Year,and all the best for 2009.

Let us all hope that this year WILL be a lot better, for everyone.

Please stay safe in all your travels,and take care.

Anne

January 1, 2009 at 6:40 pm |
  13. GingerSnaps

Happy New Year, Anderson! 🙂

January 1, 2009 at 6:39 pm |
  14. EJ (USA)

Why did Anderson say his New Year's resolution is to get in shape? I've seen him in those tshirts and his strong arms. I don't know how much more in shape he wants to get.

January 1, 2009 at 6:38 pm |
  15. Kathy, Miami, Fl.

We loved watching you and Kathy last night. I love your reactions to her. You are a brave man! I have heard her on BIG 105.9 with Paul and Young Ron before and believe me she was VERY TAME last night! I wish you and yours a wonderful new year and thanks for being such a good sport. Go thaw out now! – Best wishes from another Kathy in Miami (Pinecrest)

January 1, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  16. Becky O

Good show last night with Kathy Griffin. I think you are more appealing when you are relaxed and laughing, much more fun to watch. And it's hard not to laugh with Kathy, she's such a hoot! Hope you have a super 2009.

January 1, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  17. dotie gould

Anderson.so sorry you had Kathy Griffiths on your show last night. She was very offcolored, insulting and her behavior was very inappropiate for this major event seeing all over the world. These comments that I am submitting are from people from New Jersey,California,Florida,and many from Canada.They are all different age brackets from young adults to mature citizens.
    Myself, I coudn,t understand her English. Where is she from? her
    annunciation was a no,no even if it was her act as a comedian.
    PLEASE SEE THAT THIS COMMENT REACHES THE CNN HEAD OFFICE SO THAT THEY CAN REPLACE HER NEXT YEAR WITH A GOOD SENCE OF HAPPY,HAPPYFUNNY TO BRING IN A GOOD NEW YEAR INTO ALL LIVES EVERYWHERE IN THE WORLD.

January 1, 2009 at 6:32 pm |
  18. mary

Happy New Year, Anderson. The program was good, though your co-host was certainly not the best choice given how vulgar she can be, most parents will not let their teenagers watch her, so we had to change the channel (we had friends over).

Have a great program tonight,

January 1, 2009 at 6:32 pm |
  19. Pamina

Happy New Year Anderson,
    We have had quite a year! Last night was a lot of fun. I saw Gary Tuchman before the race in the park, it seems like a lot of work to set up those satellite sites. I give you all a lot of credit. Keep up the good work and I look forward to a better year this year!

January 1, 2009 at 6:32 pm |
  20. Andy Huffman (Pike Road, Alabama)

Happy New Year, Anderson.

Kathy might be an Emmy winning comedian (as she pointed out last night) but you held your own and brought us a hilarious broadcast. I was excited that you guys stayed on until midnight central time so i ring in the new year with you. My favorite moment had to be when you danced with Kathy i know you hate dancing, so that was hilarious.

Good luck in 2009,
    stay one of the best news anchors around

January 1, 2009 at 6:31 pm |
  21. jim Fallbrook

Anderson Cooper: I hope you have a happy New Year. I wish you and my buddy Jack Cafferty can tell me how great a president Jimmy Carter was. Then we both can have a good laugh.

January 1, 2009 at 6:29 pm |
  22. Melissa in SUNNY AND WARM Arizona

We rang in the New Year with you and Kathy last night! Between laughing our heads off with Kathy making you squirm and banging pots and pans with the kids, we had a super evening.

In this age of technology, not only was I able to "skpe" our relatives in Pennsylvania to wish them well, but we could see you ringing in the New Year on their t.v. screen, too. Thanks for the excellent coverage all year long.

Best wishes in 2009.
    P.S. Although I'm not sure I'd want a medical exam like Kathy, I can't agree with her more on wanting to know what Sanjay Gupta was doing on New Year's Eve:-)

January 1, 2009 at 6:24 pm |
  23. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Happy New Year. I enjoyed your broadcast last night. Though ending before midnight CO time, it was still an exciting way to spend New Year's Eve.
    I've watched your news program for several years now–it has never become simply routine or dull. It is excellent–I'm glad to see its continued success.
    I hope your year is a great one–I look forward to all that is to come.

January 1, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  24. Terri from Atlanta

Hello Anderson,

My favorite part of AC360 is "Keeping them Honest". I hope you will continue to do more in this area – spotlighting those who are dishonest, corrupt, and taking advantage of innocent people.

Happy New Year!

January 1, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  25. Sharon

HAPPY NEW YEAR
    to you and all the crew at CNN

This was my first year of bringing in the New Year with you and I really enjoyed it!

I hope you will continue this tradition every year because you were great! It was nice to see you laughing and having fun because I know you have to be so serious most of the time on AC360, it was a good change of pace for you!

And now since this year I have become completely addicted to CNN I literally have it on all day to keep track of what is going on in the world and I never miss AC360, it is my favorite show!

Hope you have a wonderful and prosperous New Year and keep 'em honest Anderson!

January 1, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  26. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Hey Anderson!
    Thank you for another year of great news broadcasting and congrats on the win.
    I really enjoyed the New Year's Eve show last night, at least until I fell asleep. Alright, I passed out. I guess I flew the "coop" on you. Not to worry, I have it recorded.
    I wish you and everyone a very happy new 2009! Bye 2008. Don't let the shoe hit you in the back. 😉
    XO and Peace~

January 1, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  27. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Dear Anderson,

Your gentlemanly and old fashioned sensibilities are two of the reasons that this viewer loves you. There were a few moments that I could have lived without as well, but I have to be honest...I still laughed at them.

The reason that you got the ratings is because of your hard work and dedication to presenting the "raw information" and allowing we viewers to make up our own minds. I know from watching you for years that you take this part of your job quite seriously; you are better at it than any other anchor, and I thank for it. Sincerely.

The team you have assembled is extraordinary and you should be proud of them. You are a very sweet boss to mention it here. Just goes to show that you are every bit the rare man we think you are.

Well, I hope that you thaw out well. If we see you wrapped in a blanket, behind the anchor desk, we will surely understand.

Happy New Year Anderson. Please remain the incredible light of truth and reason that you have always been. Seek out those out of the way, untold stories that must be told. Here's hoping you can travel more this year, we know that is where your heart is.

Wishing you all the best in 2009.

"Warm" Reagrds......

January 1, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  28. Mari Possa

Last night was the only day...I wish I was Kathy G....I am so crazy about you, Mr. Cooper!....Keep it UP:) un beso...Muah

January 1, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  29. Hannah Storm

Happy New Year to you too Anderson

Thanks for being my "date" on another New Years.....cant picture a better way of spending it although I feel horrible that I spent all of it from the warmthness of home

Here is hopefully to an amazing 2009.....2008 was an almost perfect year for me (thank god) and here is hoping an another great year.

January 1, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  30. Teri

Anderson – thx for all you do to bring us real news without a lot of opinionated garbage attached. Last night it sounded like your teeth were chattering! Brrrr. Anyway great to see you on New Year's!
    And, here's to a great 2009!

January 1, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  31. Mary D

I LOVED you and Kathy together. In fact, I wish it would have been three hours of just you two!

January 1, 2009 at 6:10 pm |
  32. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Thank You for the incredible job last night, Anderson!...and of course Kathy Griffin was awesome. I can't believe you braved the cold for that long...you even sounded cold! 🙂 The CNN New Years Eve special has become a part of my New Years tradition...I think it is an awesome broadcast and I love that as the ball drops you let us experience Times Square you don't try to talk over it and comment on what's going on and we get to hear the music and watch the crowds. Its absolutely wonderful! Thank you for the amazing show last night!...and I still can't believe that Kathy actually got you to dance!

Happy New Year! I hope that it is an incredible one for all! I can't wait to see what's to come!

Thanks again Anderson and the whole CNN crew for all that you do!

January 1, 2009 at 6:06 pm |
  33. Diane, Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Hello Anderson,

Happy New Year to you!

Keep up with the excellent reporting and especially the "Keepin 'em Honest" segments about NOLA.

I enjoy watching your programme and appreciate your unbiased style of reporting. I also love your Plant in Peril special investigations – it is truly amazing reporting.

All the best in 2009.

Diane

January 1, 2009 at 6:02 pm |
  34. Maureen T

Happy new year Anderson!! I thoroughly enjoyed the show last night with you and Kathy Griffin! I loved the fact that you kept up with Kathy's wit and humour! I havn't laughed so much in such a long time!! I do hope that you've warmed up now though. 🙂 Cheers to Erica for being such a sport. It was cold and she looked so cute in that hat given to her by Don Lemon...Here's hoping 2009 is a better year for all!

January 1, 2009 at 5:58 pm |
  35. Mike

Anderson,

Happy New Year! You and Kathy were hilarious last night! I felt bad for Erica Hill and Don Lemon, though... having to brace the crowds in that cold.

I hope this becomes a tradition for next year as well!!!!! =]

January 1, 2009 at 5:54 pm |
  36. EJ (USA)

Anderson, usually I say that people are so lucky to work with you (and they are – really) but Kathy Griffin is just so funny. I think you were lucky to get to host with her last night. She can make one forget about life's stresses & annoyances for a while. You looked like you had a lot of fun (despite the freezing cold), and I'm glad Kathy was there to help you laugh so much. You are even more beautiful when you (naturally) laugh.

I'm just jealous because Kathy got to dance with you.

January 1, 2009 at 5:48 pm |
  37. Olivia Schellenberg

I appreciate your willingness to stay out in the cold last night, I live in Massachusetts, so I can feel your pain. I was glued to the tv at a party last night laughing at all of the jokes being made which made me seem like even more of a loser... i mean...what?

But in all seriousness you did a great job last night and i am looking forward to staying up watching ac360 every night and being incredibly tired at school the day after.

always,
    Olivia Schellenberg, Boson Massachusetts, USA, Earth

January 1, 2009 at 5:46 pm |
  38. Michael

Anderson, you and Kathy were great last night. You and Kathy make a great team. CNN should add Kathy as a permanent addition to the AC360 team. Happy new year to you guys!

Michael, Shreveport, Louisiana

January 1, 2009 at 5:43 pm |
  39. Fay - CA

Happy New Year Anderson, it's great to see you posting here again–it's good to know Kathy G didn't get you fired the way she hoped she would!

The 360 New Year's show was a lot of fun–the moments that you and Kathy are able to let loose and talk about pop culture and joke around with each other are really the best moments for me and I would've been happy to just watch that for the entire show. Kathy is hilarious and unpredictable and I hope she'll be back.

Also, congratulations for 360's demo win–but watch out–your "competition" at 10 on Fox is going to have a fit simply because you mentioned it!

January 1, 2009 at 5:39 pm |
  40. Stacy

Happy New Year, Anderson. And a Happy New Year to all of the hard-working people of 360. The show last night was a lot of fun. There were a few moments I could have lived without as well, but hey, they sure got people talking.

As a member of that "most important viewer demographic," you are quite welcome. Please keep focusing on the real news in 2009 (though I could do with a little less panels). Now that the election is over, I hope to see more coverage of the wars, New Orleans/the Gulf, and other international issues. And maybe a little more blogging from you? Just throwing that out there.

Goodbye to 2008 and here's hoping 2009 is better.

January 1, 2009 at 5:36 pm |
  41. Cory Cooper

Dear Anderson,

Thank you for keeping up the grand tradition of the Celebration in Times Square.

You understand the importance and meaning of being in New York City on this great night.

All The Best,
    Cory Cooper
    Elvis Historian, Consultant, Technical Advisor
    ElvisExpert@aol.com

January 1, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  42. Annie Kate

It looked cold where you were and I remember you saying when you went to Greenland that time that you don't like cold so I felt for you! Next time you might want to try wearing a hat and some gloves. Those always help.

My favorite part of the broadcast was of Bill and Hilary Clinton – watching them welcome the New Year together and dancing to the music in Times Square was one of those feel good moments. Here's hoping that this year we see better days for everyone and that Obama can with the cooperation of Congress get our country back on track.

Glad you won your timeslot. I can't even imagine all the work that goes into a show but you and your team have a good delivery record – I like the way that I not only find out what the news is but I get some sense from the analysts on why it is important and what it means. Will be watching you again this year!

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

January 1, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  43. JPC

Keep your pledge to blog more.
    And the show last night was great. Do not apologize for anything. It was interesting and kept my attention the entire time.
    Do it again next year! With Kathy!

January 1, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  44. EJ (USA)

We love you Anderson and we are always very proud of you. Great job last night with Kathy Griffin. You seemed to be more relaxed as the show went on. She is so funny. You two provided just the right amount of entertainment I needed.

Happy New Year to you both!

January 1, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  45. Heidi Ann Berg

Happy New Year.Yes you and Kathy were funny ,i wish she could ask you more questions .I think all us fans out there love to hear more about you.Erica looked really cute in that hat

January 1, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  46. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Hi Anderson, Happy New Year to all. I bet that thawing out left quite a puddle. When a runny nose turns into an icicle you know you've hit deep freeze. Thanks to everyone at Ac360 for a year of info that makes our brains balloon with facts.

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

January 1, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  47. Wendy Wand

I'd like to thank you for the nice comment you made about my boys(Zachary and Carter) picture last night on your show....you and Kathy put on a great show!!
    The best to you in 2009!!

Wendy

January 1, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  48. Kristien,Antwerp, Belgium

Anderson,

Happy New Year to you too and also to everyone at 360 and CNN!

Last night's NYE special was great, I'm glad I got up at 4am for it!
    You and Kathy did look like you were freezing and I felt sorry for you guys all the way from my nice and warm living room.

I'm looking forward to a great new year and AC360 will definitely be part of it!
    Let's go! Kristien

January 1, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  49. Cindy

Happy New Year back at ya Coop!!

I saw the show and well...it wasn't my taste and like you I could have done away with a few moments in the show...OK a lot but...I digress. LOL I hope that you at least had fun! And hey...where was your hat!? In that weather you should have been covered from head to toe! You should have doned the hat that Don gave you. It would have added to the laugh factor! Come on Coop...you were supposed to do anything to crack us up last night. Get with the program man! LOL I hope you don't end up sick!

Any way...hope that your year is great and that 360 continues to get better and better!

C-Ya Tonight!

Cindy...Ga.

January 1, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  50. Stephanie Johnson

Anderson, thank you for making me LAUGH all the way to midnight in the midwest! I should also be thanking Kathy Griffin too, for her outrageous and hilarious questions and comments, but more than anything it was your responses to her that made it most entertaining! You rolled along well with her efforts to shock/nearly-embarrass you. Also, thanks for braving it in the bitter cold for that last hour in Times Square, as everyone else was heading home and the clean-up crews were coming out in full force. I hope you're thoroughly thawed by now.
    From Stephanie J., a loyal fan in Minneapolis