January 1st, 2009

Chaos and revelry from the control room

Richard Morris (bottom right) plugging away in the control room.

Richard Morris (bottom right) plugging away in the control room.

Richard Morris
Associate Producer, Campbell Brown: No Bias. No Bull.

This should be an easy show, right? Nope. Between laughing from the Anderson and Kathy hysteria to technical issues, this is far from a midnight picnic. This show is classically orchestrated weeks before we go to air, and when it comes time for broadcast, well it goes you know where.

Nonetheless, this is a great group of people to ring in the new year. Fortunately for us, we are warm in the chaotic control room. Phones ringing off the hook, people yelling over the raucous crowds in the field and just looking forward to midnight. From 12 on, it is all warm and fuzzy, watching the east coast revelers, and watching the midwest getting ready for their countdown.

Stick around, there are many laughs to be had.

PS. Happy New Years!!!
_______________________________________________________________________

Kelly Daniel
AC360 Staff

There was plenty of chaos and yelling, and there’s more to come here in the New Year’s Eve show control room as we count down to midnight in the Central Time Zone. But under all that there’s plenty of excitement. And even though I’m working on New Year’s Eve, as we all took a sip of a fizzy drink at the stroke of midnight, I couldn’t help but think this ranks pretty near the top of my New Year’s celebrations.

It’s been a great year for AC360 and AC360.com, and there’s lots more to come in 2009.

Happy New Year!

Filed under: Kelly Daniel • New Year's Eve 2009 • Richard Morris • T1
  1. kelli in Portland Oregon

It's 11:44. Make that 11:45, crap 11:46..I type slow..........Happy new Year 's !!!!!!!!!!! The way I'm writing I better start my Valentines Day speech.............................Hilarity ensues!

January 1, 2009 at 2:47 am |
  2. K Moore

WOW What a team.... TIVO the Wolf Blitzer bit like we did... we all laughed til we cried. AC: so real, Cathy: way too funny!!! The dichotomy!

January 1, 2009 at 2:39 am |
  3. Misty

Happy New Year 2009!

Thought the show was great! Sorry, but I disagree with Mike and don't mean to be rude.The combination was not Hilarious. Kathy could possibly think before she speaks over Anderson. I did not enjoy watching the few minutes of Kathy's fame.

Anderson and Erica, Keep up the good work!

January 1, 2009 at 2:36 am |
  4. EVA

We LOVE Kathy Griffin with Anderson cooper. She is funny and is great with a akward Anderson. Keep bringing Kathy BACK!!!!

January 1, 2009 at 2:35 am |
  5. treasure

Whatever daring exec. who went with the wacky idea of pairing Anderson Cooper and Kathy Griffin together for New Year's Eve. should give a promotion to whoever suggested it! I'm enjoying it beyond belief....having a blast(happen to be medically disabled and alone and don't laugh all that often, unfortunately 🙂 and they are just keeping me cracking up!!!
    Thanks!
    Cheers!!
    Treasure 🙂

January 1, 2009 at 2:32 am |
  6. Alicia

Why did CNN pick Kathy Griffin to host this loving time? Can she shut up for a little while and let others talk? Nice effort, CNN. Happy New Year!

January 1, 2009 at 2:25 am |
  7. Johanna

Love, LOVE, Kathy with Anderson!

January 1, 2009 at 2:19 am |
  8. Daniel James, Chicago

Happy New Year to Anderson Cooper and everyone at CNN, I hope you are enjoying the New Year. Anderson, I hope Kathy Griffin did not annoy you to much. I think you did a good job putting up with Kathy Griffin.

I'm looking forward to an excellent year in 2009. There are a couple of problems that must be addressed. All this government spending will lead to a war on inflation and everyone should be getting ready for the second wave of foreclosures in the housing market. This time around it will be luxury foreclosures. It will last into all of 2009 and won't be peak probably till sometime in 2010.

All things a side, I think 2009 will be a good year as long as people help to take care of the people in their community. This year, volunteers and leaders will be needed more than ever. Anderson, I look to you to shine a light on people that help and speak up for the people in their community.

I hope you’re ready for a year that is going to require you and everyone at CNN spot light the problems that will test everyone that lives in the United States of America. We are all counting on you to do what you do best, which is to provide a place for the United States citizens to let their voice be heard.

January 1, 2009 at 2:10 am |
  9. Dee

I love these two together! Andersons "straight man" to kathys quick ungaurded responses are hysterical !.! Format, or scripted who cares, their delivery and repore is fresh and natural

January 1, 2009 at 1:47 am |
  10. Heather,ca

It was wonderful live even from the west coast. Just love Kathy. Who knew Kathy could get Wolfie Blitzer to call in. My only complaint is that you didnt mention texting greetings till tonight. Last year you mentioned on air for days and people got to see the greetings on the crawl on the bottom of the screen. I thought you werent doing it this year because you never mentioned it. Then you tell us last minute tonight and I sent my text but it never showed up. I guess not enough people responded. Oh well my husband still loves watching Kathy on his birthday. Bravo to all and Happy and Healthy New Year!

January 1, 2009 at 1:39 am |
  11. ivan lasso

hi from seattle my wife and I loved she show all of you were FANTASTIC......Good luck everybody
    ivan

January 1, 2009 at 1:36 am |
  12. Patricia, Cape Canaveral, FL

Loved Kathy and Anderson together! She brings the "shyness" out of him! It appeared he never stopped smiling! Hey Kelli; Anderson danced for Kathy! Are you dating yet??? Opposites attract!!

January 1, 2009 at 1:32 am |
  13. Dorothy

So loved Anderson and Kathy! Great show........thanks. Sorry they weren't with us here in CA to see our New Year in! But sure enjoyed them while they were on,

January 1, 2009 at 1:26 am |
  14. Janine from PA.

Control room, you do a great job. Lots to keep track of. Have a great new year.

January 1, 2009 at 1:25 am |
  15. Suzanne Gereaux

It was terrific! My two favorite people together bringing in the New Year...life has to get better! Kathy and Anderson – the perfect couple!
    Thanks so much for making me laugh like crazy into the new year.

January 1, 2009 at 1:21 am |
  16. Janine from PA.

Go warm up Mr. Cooper and Ms. Griffin. don't want any frostbite to bite you!

January 1, 2009 at 1:21 am |
  17. J&H

Kathy and Anderson have a great chemistry. Their personalities compliment eachother. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

January 1, 2009 at 1:21 am |
  18. Renee

Anderson and Kathy – another great show and one our entire family was looking forward to we even stayed up till after one watching the show – you two are our New Year's Eve celebration and we're looking forward to seeing you both next year!! It was funny and entertaining – thanks so much from Lancaster, PA.

January 1, 2009 at 1:20 am |
  19. Martina Ilstad Germany

Thank all the CNN Team for this wonderful Happy New Year show.I am sorry for you,because that cold weather,hope you will not get sick
    So all the best for the next year.

January 1, 2009 at 1:18 am |
  20. I Knapp

Thank you for allowing Kathy on air. She made Anderson's ears turn red (not just from the cold), and she said things on live television that I haven't enjoyed as much since the Janet/Justin Superbowl!

January 1, 2009 at 1:18 am |
  21. Kels79

Kathy did not disappoint as usual. Where is your crew? Did they take a shot for everytime you called Anderson Andy? LOL

Love you KATHY AND ANDERSON!!

January 1, 2009 at 1:15 am |
  22. John Beccia

Very funny! Great "off-the-wall" humor. Even better than last years show..... HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

January 1, 2009 at 1:15 am |
  23. Teresa Johns, San Francisco, CA

Anderson danced!!!!! Anderson danced!!!!! Anderson danced!!!!

January 1, 2009 at 1:13 am |
  24. Gillian daSilva

Anderson Cooper is so naturally funny, and intelligent!!! We love him here in Canada. Way to go CNN!!!! Great SHOW!!!!!!!!!!! xoxoxoxo

January 1, 2009 at 1:13 am |
  25. Laura

Poor Anderson, he is so tense on live with Kathy.,.. we should just let her drop one F-bomb right away so he can relax...

Kathy, love you.

January 1, 2009 at 1:12 am |
  26. Chris

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole ~ Somewhere over the Rainbow

January 1, 2009 at 1:09 am |
  27. R.JONES MAHONEY 111

HAPPY NEW YEAR A 360!!!!!

January 1, 2009 at 1:08 am |
  28. Terrance

Anderson – I have truly enjoyed watching you and Kathy tonight. You two are great together. I love the humor and fun! Keep up the good work.

January 1, 2009 at 1:07 am |
  29. Scott in San Mateo

Great show tonite Anderson, you total cutie! And thanks Kathy. Happy New Year to both of you!

Scott

January 1, 2009 at 1:06 am |
  30. Richard Schemmerer

hi guys happy new year
    glad you are having fun
    let 2009 be the first of many Obama years to come

January 1, 2009 at 1:05 am |
  31. Mary

I have never watched a full show on CNN (work for another network) but I had to tune in and see Kathy and Anderson in action. Love Kathy.... she says what she thinks and makes me laugh in a time where it's so hard to find something to laugh about. Happy New Year Kathy and Anderson... can't wait what you have to say next year...

January 1, 2009 at 1:03 am |
  32. Rima

Glendale, CA. Barev, Happy new year to all my family in England and Tehran. Love and peace to all

January 1, 2009 at 1:02 am |
  33. Jamie

Kathy's comment to the hecklers was the funniest things I've heard all year!

January 1, 2009 at 1:02 am |
  34. Stu Neiman

Working in an E.R. and was walking by a T.V. when Kathy commented back at whatever idiot shouted at them from the audience. CLASSIC! Great comment. Our psychiatric staff was quite amused – "Real Talk" was only mildly obscene and an appropriate response. Back her up Anderson. Thanks to all of you at CNN for making this an entertaining evening. All of you have a far greater impact on many levels than you can ever know – you just can't see the results of your work on millions. All the best & Happy New Year. S. Neiman, M.D.

January 1, 2009 at 1:01 am |
  35. Beth

Happy New Year Kathy and Anderson. Kathy it's Donna Summer's birthday. Dare You To wish her one!! Dec 31 1948!

January 1, 2009 at 1:00 am |
  36. Derrick Leaver

Kathy is sooo Hilarious.... You guys are a great team...very entertaining!!! BTW Anderson is the biggest hunk!!!

January 1, 2009 at 1:00 am |
  37. Saffron

Joanna, That version of somewhere over the rainbow is by Israel "Iz" Kamakawiwoʻole.... it's beautiful!

January 1, 2009 at 12:59 am |
  38. James Coker

It is 5 minutes before 2009 in my time zone. Your "fair and balanced" (oh, I'm sorry, that is another networks "marketing scam") has not included other great cities in the Central Time Zone. You act as if the ONLY city in this time zone is New Orleans. What about Chicago, Houston, St, Louis, Dallas, San Antonito, Forth Worth, Oklahoma City, and Austin?

Happy New Year!

New York is NOT the ONLY city in America to celebrate!

January 1, 2009 at 12:59 am |
  39. Mike

Kathy and Anderson, GREAT COMBINATION !! Absolutely hilarious !!!

January 1, 2009 at 12:56 am |
  40. Ashley - Hamlin NY

Thanks to Cooper, Griffin, and the entire 360 staff who are braving the cold to bring us a great start to the new year.

And thanks to all of your in the control room who are pulling your hair out behind the magic curtain. It wouldn't be a show without you!

Happy 2009!

January 1, 2009 at 12:56 am |
  41. Lindy Carlson

Hey you guys,
    Have a Great Celebration, we sure appreciate your great programs here down in Tahiti!!! Thanks so much for helping us know what's going on in this world, although we are lucky to be far away from it all!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM TAHITI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lindy

January 1, 2009 at 12:42 am |
  42. Marcus Harun

Happy new year everyone at CNN Kathy and Anderson!

January 1, 2009 at 12:41 am |
  43. karen

andersons ears look painfully cold

January 1, 2009 at 12:34 am |
  44. Deb Jones

Dear Anderson: It's 12:27 PM here in Atlanta and I'm watching you and Kathy in cold TS....your ears are turning purple!! By the way, who is the bronze status of at the end of the square...is it Irving Berlin? I forget.

January 1, 2009 at 12:32 am |
  45. mike

happy new year lindsey,savanna, henderson family in alabama and new york

January 1, 2009 at 12:30 am |
  46. Rhonda Thomas

If I have to watch that Cathy chick one more New Year, I'm switching channels. The banter is even more annoying than the Thanksgiving Day Parade! Anderson rocks! I'd rather see Sanjay as his sidekick!

January 1, 2009 at 12:25 am |
  47. Brian Konrardy

Anderson & Kathy,

I'm sitting here in Eastern Iowa watching your New Year's Eve Party and decided I want to be a part of it next year. So give me a call and I will be happy to co-host the 2010 show with you both! Love the free flowing style, Coop your looking good as usual and Kathy you are a hoot! I'll take you both out for a cold beverage after the show next year, have a great 2010.

Brian

January 1, 2009 at 12:21 am |
  48. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

What's a few glitches on New Year's eve? A few tech problems are not the worse that can happen, bugs bunny could want a cameo! Go Gary Tuchman.

January 1, 2009 at 12:20 am |
  49. joanna

anderson...you commented on your new years eve coverage tonight you love the version of somewhere over the rainbow that played shortly after midnight. i love it too. can you tell me the artists who performs this song. also the choice of music after midnight was moving. good choices..

January 1, 2009 at 12:17 am |
  50. Maureen T

Happy New Year AC360!! Did I see Andy and Kathy dancing? I knew Kathy could make Andy dance!! 🙂

January 1, 2009 at 12:06 am |