December 31st, 2008

Behind the scenes - New Year's Eve in Times Square

Anderson getting ready for the show.
COURTESY: Jack Gray

New Year's Eve revelers in Times Square.
COURTESY: Aspen Steib

The AC360° crew interviews people in the crowd.
COURTESY: Aspen Steib

CNN's Erica Hill and Aspen Steib in Times Square.
COURTESY: James Brierton

The media gaggle just near the stage.
COURTESY: Jack Gray

The stage in Times Square.
COURTESY: Aspen Steib

They are cold and crazy in NYC!
COURTESY: Aspen Steib

A reveler with a cause.
COURTESY: Aspen Steib

1. Margaret Blumer

Happy New Year Anderson from John & Margaret from Tupelo
    Ms

December 31, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  2. elisabeth meier

Hey everyone, good evening and: HAPPY NEW YEAR from Berlin !
    Good to see you bloggers and CNNers here again. All the best for you and your loved ones.

December 31, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  3. Jeff Rieppel

Happy New Year to all.
    I really enjoy AC 360. Make sure Erica stays warm

December 31, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  4. Carole Lynn Anderson

I am SOOO loving watching you guys!

It makes New Year's Eve extremely entertaining!

PS-There is HUGE positive energy between you two! (You have never laughed so hard, Anderson–at least not on camera!!) Have a wonderful New Year!

December 31, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  5. annfoley

HAPPY nEW YEAR, ANDERSON! I've got a bet that you are a twin.
    Because no one person can be everywhere. I have no doubt that if a crisis arises tonight, you'll be live at the scene in the morning.

Which is more nerve-wracking, covering wars, famine, hurricane's or co-hosting with Kathy. I love her, but she makes you so tongue-tied.

December 31, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  6. Kathryn

Happy New Year to you!!!! Anderson and Kathy, you're both awesome! Keep it up and stay warm!

December 31, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  7. mr d

hapy new year

December 31, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  8. W

Kathy Griffin – such a great choice for tonight's event. Please bring her back with Anderson every year!

December 31, 2008 at 11:38 pm |
  9. mr d

good evening. great show. led=light emitting diode

December 31, 2008 at 11:38 pm |
  10. Patty Murray

Hi Anderson & kathy & Crew –
    Its freezing up there so let the critics yep keep moving as it gets you warm hahaha tell Kathy to spray her mouth with that banaca stuff haahhah blow kisses to America its going to be a great year. Just loved you Anderson in those swim trunks, I laughed so hard. Its been in the 80's here in Daytona Beach looking forward to meeting you one day. Hurray to you honoring the troops.

December 31, 2008 at 11:38 pm |
  11. LL

OMG!!! I am in hysterics watching you two. I have not stayed up to watch the ball drop in several years but you two are so funny, I think I will make it this year. Kathy, you are the best commedian out there today and who would have ever thought you and Anderson would be great together. Anderson, just to hear you laugh is priceless. Happy New Year. LL – Denver, CO

December 31, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  12. matt

I think Andy and Kathy should go on the road together! Maybe play vegas!!

December 31, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  13. Michael T Myers

Anderson, I'm worried! You are SO COLD!

Thank you so much for having Kathy with you, she makes New Year's Eve!

December 31, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  14. C. Collura

Hi Kathy and Anderson. You two make a great news team! So funny. Kathy, lay off Wolf just a tad. Just a little... Stay warm and safe both of you. Happy 2009!

December 31, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  15. Mike

Kathy, I love your show and your show too, Anderson.

December 31, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  16. Dawn

I would like to wish all my friends and family a wonderful New YEAR...2009

December 31, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  17. raids Ahmed

Happy New Year Andrson and CNN family.

December 31, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  18. leon

My new years wish is to meet anderson cooper!!!

December 31, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  19. Melody

I love Anderson, & Kathy is great, but it really bugs me how she constantly interupts Anderson!

December 31, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  20. Derek

Anderson, Congratulations on a successful 2008!
    I look forward to watching you on CNN in '09.
    The dynamic between you and Kathy is a riot to watch!
    Keep up the great work!...
    Please continue to 'keep it real' and 'keep them honest'!

Cheers!
    (from the first blizzard of '09 in Halifax, NS)

Derek

December 31, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  21. EJ (USA)

Anderson – drink some hot coffee or cocoa! If it feels like 0 degrees, its time to let go of the hot-drinks fear/avoidance.

Your face is frozen! So is Erica's!

December 31, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  22. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Hope everyone is staying warm! But I must say...Anderson even sounds cold...you can hear the cold in his voice! Brrrr!

December 31, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  23. Nancy C. from Wilmington, NC

Oh my goodness, I LOVED Don Lemon's hat. They should be required wear for all of the CNN crowd!

December 31, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  24. Sabrina in Las Vegas

OMG....that is too cold.

I am headed out to an Authentic Irish Pub to ring in the New Year.

Stay Warm.

December 31, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  25. candace

a very happy new year to u anderson cooper......wishing u all the best for 2009....u do an amazing job and always look fantastic:)

December 31, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  26. Tobey Addington

Anderson and Kathy have the best chemistry on tv and should definitely do more shows together. Keep up the great work Anderson and Kathy!

December 31, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  27. Lorelai

Loving the show so far. Andy you look delicious! I love Kathy–I don't know why "Mary" the lady who commented earlier is dogging on her. She loves Andy too and I've never heard her speak ill of him. They have great chemistry.

Peace & Love for Everyone–Happy New Years!

Lorelai
    TX

December 31, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  28. Arooj Syed

Hey Anderson & Kathy,
    Happy New Year to you and everyone else. Kathy please let Anderson complete his sentences. Take turns on talking.

December 31, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  29. Michael Malin

I am in Vancouver Canada

December 31, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  30. Elsa Figueroa App

This is my first time being completely alone. Snowed in at Cortland, NY.
    But now that I see you Anderson and Kathy, freezing for us...my heart warms...
    I don't even have a nice glass of Moscato...Drinking cranberry juice of all things..
    I wish all those at Times Square a safe trip home and thanks for being there.. I am originally from Brooklyn and stood there in the early 60s..had lots of fun...enjoy.
    Also want to wish everyone a peaceful, joyous and healthy new year...Especially my five children and 9 grandchildren...God Bless!
    Anderson be safe and thanks for conducting yourself as a true gentleman...You are so refreshing....You are the best in the news!
    XXOO
    Elsa

December 31, 2008 at 11:09 pm |
  31. Keir

LED = light emitting diode

Happy New Year!!!

December 31, 2008 at 11:09 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar- Shoreline, WA

P.S. Also I already sent my both pictures I-reporter too..... I hope you and Kathy will get warm up fast!!!!!!!!! LOL!

December 31, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  33. cherryrn

Happy New Year Anderson and Kathy , and CNN staff members.

December 31, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  34. Ken in NC

Erica looks like she is nice and toasty warm. LOL Poor Don Lemon is so cold his hearing froze up too. LOL

December 31, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  35. Terri Reed

Hey Anderson and Kathy,

Andersons lips are not moving do to the weather I hope and not due to Kathy. Just Kidding.
    Love you

Terri Reed

December 31, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  36. Ken in NC

Good evening Anderson, Kathy and all Bloggers. I know it is cold up there but it is not much better here. Only 76 degrees right now. Hope you guys have fun bringing in 2009.

December 31, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  37. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Happy New Year Anderson, Kathy, Jack , Erica, Gary, et al :

One degree with the wind chill? Whoa Nelly! I am a liitle worried about you guys. Anderson, sweetie, maybe you should consider either wearing a hat, or taking Kathy up on the spooning offer. LOL. No kidding, that is darned cold. Bundle up kids, we will think "warm" for you.

Be well! All the best to you!

December 31, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  38. Nicole

Happy New Years, Anderson! 🙂

December 31, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  39. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Happy New Year! Stay warm. I'm looking forward to the broadcast–the behind the scenes photos are great–as is the live video from Times Square and New Orleans.

December 31, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  40. Bruce

Think WARM thoughts Anderson!

December 31, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  41. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I think it's timely that a whisky billboard is in the picture with Anderson. Anderson and Kathy may need a Saint Bernard to rescue them with a full shot glass of the stuff. It will cure the hypothermia long enough to utter Happy New Year.

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

December 31, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  42. Dee Janssen

Hey Anderson, you look like you're a tad cold up there in NYC. Happy New Year and STAY WARM! I think CNN needs to put more heaters up around your stage area! BTW, it's still 32 deg down here in "hotlanta" at 10:30 est – just a tad warmer than up there 😉

December 31, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  43. Mari T

Wow! Looks everything in a state of preparednes!
    How is Ms. Griffin? Keep warm!
    I look forward to countingdown of New year's Eve!

December 31, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  44. Mary Leach

Wishing Anderson Cooper and Kathy Griffith a Healthy and Happy New Year! Hope all goes well with new administration coming in. Hope they can help others that really are desperate and in need of help. Currently celebrating the birth of my two Grandsons Killian and Hayden on December 17.2008. Great Grandmom also thrilled with the new event. She also sends her best to Anderson Cooper she thinks you are really cute and you have been in her dreams. Try to stay warm this evening and thanks for entertaining us as you do. Also thanks for enforming us of events that happen around the world.

December 31, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  45. Cecilia C

I soooooo wish i was there!!! I'm having a pretty lame new year's eve, oh well... Here's hoping that 2009 is a lot better than 2008! Happy new year everyone!

December 31, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  46. cathy

Just how c0Ld is it out there?

December 31, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  47. Fay - CA

Freezing or not, I'm a little envious of anyone who gets to experience New Year's in Times Square–I would love to do that just once, but I'm not complaining since I'm sure to be well entertained by Anderson and Kathy Griffin–thanks for the great preview pics.

December 31, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  48. Janine from PA.

Keep warm Mr. Cooper its cold out. Havea happy new year to all the 360 crew.

December 31, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar- Shoreline, WA

Hellooo Anderson and Kathy!!!!
    I wish have a great new year to you!!! I love you and Kathy, you guys are my huge favorite fans! I love Kathy is picking on you and you made me laugh so hard!!! I love his giggle so bad!!! LOL!!! I am so exciting to ready new year 2009!!!!! Happy New Year to the world, Kathy, Erica, best bloggers and you!!!! that was my favorite in the year " drum roll" Tina Fey!!!!! I hope you have a great year 2009!!!! See you tomorrow night!!!

December 31, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  50. Kristen Jordan

Anderson, have your producers check the Ireports I sent ya some photos. Cant wait for you and Kathy to be on tonight!! If she gets you fired does SHE get your job?

🙂