December 30th, 2008

Sound Off: Your comments 12/30/08

Viewers wrote in about the RNC song, "Barack the Magic Negro" with the majority feeling that it is not acceptable. Viewers also enjoy seeing Ed Henry in Hawaii as he seems to have a "happier attitude." Some also wrote in with their comments and opinions on the bombing in Gaza.

Puff the magic Negro in reference to President Elect Obama is not acceptable dialogue. It is a paradox in reference to the children's song puff the magic dragon. This is not political satire.

The song about Obama is not an insult. Barack Obama IS a negro. A great many people voted for him because he is one. There is nothing wrong with the race or the word.

To compose and forward a little "innocent" ah-shucks song about President-Elect Obama shows Chip Saltsman as the crack head many of us believed all along. He and his friend Russ Limbaugh should start a band.

I'm getting a real kick out of that little impish grin on Ed Henry's face now that he is reporting in from his hardship post on a beach in Hawaii.

I wished we had 20 more of people like you. You are my hero for bringing the truth night after night.

I am a retired Serviceman of 23 years. What is going on with this Chip Saltsman. If you were to say these things in the military you would be court marshaled. How can someone of this stature get away with this? He is making me ashamed to be a republican.

While I very much admire Anderson Cooper's work in general and his work on AC 360 in particular, I become discouraged when a person such as Larry Elders is given air time. I am tolerant of diverse viewpoints; however, the unthinking rant Elders provided this evening (December 29) is really beneath contempt. Further, it badly taints the excellence for which Anderson Cooper is known and admired.

There are two terrorists here – Hamas and Israel itself – the world needs to see how Israel has raped Palestine not just with this current use of holocaust like violence and bombing of Gaza – Palestinians have a right to security and freedom and to a quality life as well

We need to stop sending our taxpayers' money to Israel until they stop the violence. I don't want my tax money supporting airstrikes that kill 50 children in one day.

I think that the world community has done all it can do to help bring peace to the Middle East, especially the Israeli Palestinian problem. I think now is the time for the world leaders to back away and let fate finally take its course.

Two wrongs don't make it right. I think Israel is just as guilty of murdering the Palestinian men, women and children. They don't have anything to do with the conflict. The Jews claim to be righteous and God-fearing people but they kill innocent people. It is a shame and I think they are hypocrites. Could you show the damage of Hamas rockets on Israel?

Filed under: 360° Radar • Behind The Scenes
  1. Maureen

I understand political satire enough to get the point of what "Barrack the Magic Negro" was implying. What I don't understand is why someone who is running for RNC would think that it was a good idea to send this out in his Christmas card. Political satire belongs in journalism. When it leaves that arena and takes on a political stance, it becomes judgemental and is not to be taken as satire. I think Chip Saltsman is going way beyond trying to prove how un"pc" he can be and has just entered the arena for being racist. My question is, what is so wrong with trying to be nice to everyone regardless of race, creed, orientation, et al. If Mr. Saltsman were truly in touch with his party and Christian values, he would know that you are to love your brother, pc and all. And not to take every chance you get to show that really what is in your heart is hate, not love, and fear, not faith.

December 30, 2008 at 5:53 pm |
  2. joel

love your show. can you fact check to see if the present gaza population include past residence of Askalon. There may have been some arabs who were politely asked to leave Askeon at the beginning of this tragic 60 years of conflict. It would be ironic if true!

December 30, 2008 at 4:06 pm |
  3. Andrew

Anderson,
    I love your show and I am glad to see that there is a non-bias reporting station still running strong. As far as the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is concerned, don’t you see that the U.S. failed in Iraq to root out the “terror” organizations, and now Israel thinks they can do it in Gaza. The problem is that people don’t know what the Palestinians are fighting for; it is there home that was taken from them after WWII. And to simply place 1.5 million of them in this small area of Gaza is not a solution. We need to get the point across that there is more to this then to stop “terrorism”. And lastly, what Israel doesn’t understand that every Palestinian killed creates tens or hundreds of anti-Israeli children. This is not a problem they can “ROOT OUT” of the Palestinian population. Thank You for listening to me vent because it seems that our congressmen don’t care to hear it anymore.

December 30, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  4. Paul

Anderson,
    I enjoy your show for the thoughtful and diverse opinions presented. However, to allow Larry Elders significant airtime was a BIG mistake. He did NOT contribute anything. Please do not let yourself believe he should be part on ANY dialog.
    Thanks,
    Paul

December 30, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  5. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

The world needs to focus on issues that are facing the doom and glom around us .The economy and job losses never mind all these controversial issues withrace and ploitcal satire .It's mean and creul to pick on Obama beacause of his race i agree that Elders is an idoit. Please get back to the other cases like the Big 3 auto crisis and the maufacturing industry which is collapsing here in Ontario .I would appriacte Anderson keeping them honest stories in realtion to the John Deere plant closing 800 jobs lost . I would appricate that thanks.

December 30, 2008 at 12:48 pm |
  6. Abbey

Dear Anderson,
    Do you find it strange that Israel is doing to Palestine, exactly what Germany did to the Jews? Encampment, stopping aid, disempowerment, enilination. We just sit around waiting to see the big mirrored ball drop. America we bad.
    ho.tx.abbey

December 30, 2008 at 12:30 pm |
  7. toni

Im very curious to know something regarding the Caysee Anthony case. How is it that neither one of her parents or her brother or anyone else for that matter, how come they have never spoken, met or exchanged emails with this so called "Nanny." Allegedly this "Nanny" watched Caylee for over 2 years. If the grandparents were so involved in that childs life like they appeared to be. How could neither of them have met or spoken to this Zenaida Gonzalez. Or even be curious to meet the person who was allegedly being the caregiver to their only grandchild. Also how did they think Casey was paying for this alledged Nanny? Nanny's are expensive.

December 30, 2008 at 11:45 am |