December 29th, 2008

Sound Off: Your comments

AC360° viewers commented on the housing bailout saying it should preserve the existing housing and not give them a bailout to build more. Viewers were outraged over the song “Barack the magic Negro” and viewers also complained about the new flashing graphics on the screen during the show.

Here's a sample of the emails and blog comments we received on Friday:

Positively the housing building industry should not be bailed out. Housing has been so overbuilt in the past ten years that much was not marketable before the crisis. It is time for this industry to direct its efforts toward preserving the existing housing stock capable of sheltering the entire population.

I am a constant viewer of this program, but the new change in graphics is so distracting and annoying that I find it is causing me to consider changing to another channel. Particularly annoying is the little rectangle in the bottom right hand corner that keeps flashing back and forth to ac360.com. At times there are several different pictures on the screen against a moving background in blue and white. With everything going on, it is hard to concentrate on the program. PLEASE bring back your old format!

Please report on the outrageous song being used by an RNC candidate...it is hateful and horrible....Obama is our next President!!! I am so insulted...and don't sugar coat it...let people hear the song...once they hear it, I don't think they'll feel that it is "satire"

Re: RNC and "Barack the magic Negro". That CD is reprehensible, vulgar, race and hate mongering. I am outraged at the tasteless attacks and the moral degradation of the RNC. Always politics. They have not and still don't know about respect and governance.

Anderson Cooper and Kathy Griffith? Why bring in a potty mouth who believes Jesus "sucks"? Are your viewers really that pagan?

Filed under: 360 Inside Out • Behind The Scenes
  1. Darrin Shacklett

This Gaza thing is just rediculous. If Hamas and the Palestineans don't want to get beat up then they should not pick a fight all of the time with a people that have a history of taking a beating for awhile and then just getting tired of it and fight back with everything in them. Leave Israel alone and they will leave you alone. I applaud the Israelies for standing up for themselves and encourage them to keep fighting until they feel they are finished. No one should be able to tell them to stop it is something they have to decide to do. Hopefully, though I doubt it, Hamas will learn a lesson from these current strikes.

December 29, 2008 at 5:03 pm |
  2. Stacy

I second Renee's request. For a supposed fact-based show, 2008 sure did seem to be filled with opinion and speculation.

December 29, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  3. Alan V Dore

The "song" ....is really really in poor taste......once the people of the US mature into an accepting society.....these kinds of examples of"free speech" will hopefully stop....as it is far from helpful....

December 29, 2008 at 1:11 pm |
  4. Alan V Dore

Hi : Only one question needs to be asked of the Gaza Palestinians...after the break down from the last cease fire....who shot the first missles...this time.....Hamas.......Stop the instigation of hostilities......and Isreal......will have no reason to protect themselves and retaliate !!

December 29, 2008 at 1:08 pm |
  5. emma

I'm a big fan of Kathy Griffin so I'll definitely be watching on NYE. She's a comedian so I don't understand the outrage.

December 29, 2008 at 12:52 pm |
  6. Renee

Can we have more field reports vs. pundits with opinions in 2009? There are lots of stories around the US and the world that should be told and discussed.

December 29, 2008 at 12:32 pm |
  7. jim Fallbrook

I have no problem with the RNC song about Barack Hussein Obama. The RNC has their right to free speech just as the left wing liberals have to say hateful and horrible things about George Bush. He was the president at the time. Barack Hussein Obama won't be president until January 20th.

December 29, 2008 at 12:25 pm |
  8. Heather,ca

Being Jewish and having friends in Israel they have every right to say enough is enough with rocket attacks from Hamas and its time to take action.Hamas is a terrorist group and they broke the ceasefire. Yet its ok for them to attack Israel. We have been kicked and killed around this planet for over 5,000 years and its still ok. But when Israel defends itself its not. When Isaeli civilians are killed by Hamas rockets its ok.

I miss the ticker/crawl. I dont like the flipper at the bottom that basically shows the same thing that is already on the screen.

I love Kathy. Yeah she says things that can be gross but she is very funny and honest. She has the courage and selflessness to go to Iraq to see our soldiers when other A list celebrities wont because its dangerous. She goes to Walter Reed and spends time with wounded soldiers and their families.She really cares. Life isnt always pretty and perfect and she knows it. I could care less what she said about Jesus. Her comment was in response to stupid celebrities who get awards and thank Jesus when they know they are the ones responsible for it.

I really miss the two hour format. Oh well. I found that song to be well and far beyond disgusting and offensive. I dont know what planet or universe that guy is on to think in any way at all that what he did was a joke. I just cant wrap my mind around it. Even more that he defends himself. It just beyond civility and beyond anything I can think of. He has to be mentally ill. There comes a time or a point in life when you have to say enough is enough. Is this really what he is about.Its mind blowing that he thinks this is a joke. Well this is not political satire. Not at all.Making fun of what a politician says or does yes thats a joke. Making fun of a politician because of the color of their skin and their background, thats just racism and mental illness.

December 29, 2008 at 12:22 pm |
  9. Stacy

As a Christian, I wasn't offended in the slightest by Griffin's "suck it, Jesus," thing. It seems to me her comment was less mocking of Christians as it was a skewering of all those artists constantly thanking Jesus for their wins. I mean, the world is in dire straits right now. I think Jesus has a little more important things to think about than who wins a Grammy. Griffin's humor may not always hit the mark, but I find the pairing with Anderson quite enjoyable.

December 29, 2008 at 11:33 am |
  10. Annie Kate

Anderson just giggles as Kathy does a monologue, most of which is distateful. Maybe Kathy is the "new" big thing but I'm going to watch someone else ring in the New Year. I guess for those who watch the year will only get better because after watching Kathy nothing else could be as tasteless.

December 29, 2008 at 10:57 am |
  11. Cindy

I don't like the new graphics either. They are way too big and take up too much of the bottom of the screen. It's annoying!

I don't like Kathy at all so I won't be watching the NYE show. Her Jesus sucks line was just done to garner attention since her comedic skills aren't that great.

Cindy...Ga.

December 29, 2008 at 10:48 am |
  12. Manuel

I think both sides, Israeli and the Pakistani people are to blame for the violence. It is all a cycle caused by ignorance, hate and a lack of consideration. Is it not an embarrassment to have your part of the world labeled as barbaric? At this point I just don't feel anything for either side. Their lack of reason is a disgrace to humanity........

December 29, 2008 at 10:44 am |
  13. Dulcie

Anderson Cooper and Kathy Griffith? Why bring in a potty mouth who believes Jesus “sucks”? Are your viewers really that pagan?

*raises hand*

If you want to describe it as such, then yes. Not so much on the Jesus part, though that most certainly describes his more fervent followers.

Kathy G. is a *comedian* – of course she's going to say some things that everyone doesn't agree on. Her language is very toned down for the broadcast, so nothing to really worry about there.

Personally, I enjoy the banter between Anderson and Kathy. I'm looking forward to the show.

December 29, 2008 at 10:34 am |