December 24th, 2008

We are too heavy to take off!?

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/TRAVEL/11/26/thanksgiving.travel/art.sfo.airport.gi.jpg]
Kay Jones
AC360° Coordinating Editorial Producer

Travel on Christmas Eve has, for me, never really been a problem. I've had great luck in years past with flights being on time, pleasant people on the flight, and no crying babies (big bonus). Enter the 2008 holiday season, and it all went downhill.

LaGuardia airport was as crowded as I've ever seen it in the Delta/Northwest terminal. As a frequent flier, I fly out of this terminal a lot. I have only waited a maximun of 10 minutes to get through security there. Today, it was 25 minutes. Still not bad compared to most airports, but there are only 2 airlines operating out of this terminal.

After boarding the flight and being disappointed with my lack of a complimentary upgrade, we pushed back from the gate on time. Whoo hoo! A week with the family, here I come!

Wait. Why are we just sitting on the tarmac? There are other planes taking off. What's the deal?

About 10 minutes later, cue the captain, "We are too heavy to take off." Then he goes on to explain how it has something to do with the rain. I think it has something to do with the people checking 3 and 4 bags. Oh, the full flight with 4 babies, 5 dogs and no empty seats probably didn't help either.

So here I am, an hour and 15 minutes after pushing back from the gate, breathing in some awful cologne as the dude in front of me is snoring. Will I make it to Memphis today? Let's hope.

Ahh, there's the captain! Eek. Another 5 minutes of waiting. I hope they comp me some skymiles for this!

Happy Holidays!!

Filed under: Kay Jones
  1. Dr Latte

So the passengers are traveling but NO ONE ON THE NEWS ever reports what happens to all the animals in CARGO !! or who are booked and traveling..... along with animals and pets in CARGO while plane is on TarmaC for hours.... EVER THINK ABOUT that one as we all know animals are flying all over the place andcargo is loaded most of the time. Even when a plane goes down like Continental and catches fire they never say what was in cargo and we all know pets were in there.BC columbia Think about it.

December 25, 2008 at 2:33 am |
  2. GF, Los Angeles

Don't forget our problem with too many overweight Americans.

December 24, 2008 at 8:29 pm |
  3. Cherisa

Welcome home. Wish you could have brought some of that wintery weather with you; it was a balmy 65 today in Memphis. Enjoy the holidays!

December 24, 2008 at 6:46 pm |
  4. Kristen-University Park, PA

Thats terrible. Hope you finally get home alright. I kinda feel bad for you as I am typing this at home in my pj's.

December 24, 2008 at 4:05 pm |
  5. EJ (USA)

I thought maybe they were just too fat. I want to get fit for the New Year. I don't know where I would find the motivation.

December 24, 2008 at 2:44 pm |
  6. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Good Luck Kay! Will be thinking good thoughts for you.

Happy Holidays and safe travels.

December 24, 2008 at 12:54 pm |
  7. Cori from Colorado

Sucked to be on that flight, holiday travel always sucks. My boyfriend and I decided to fly out the day after Christmas to avoid the rush, and I'm hoping it will be a good decision. We've limited the luggage we're bringing, only 1 large bag between the 2 of us, and it's really just clothes and shoes. The forecast states we're supposed to have nice weather the day we fly out, so I think we've made a good decision. Let's hope we don't have problems at the airport, or with the plane!

December 24, 2008 at 12:52 pm |
  8. Jenn/Monrovia CA

My co-worker is flying to Chicago today from LA, and I do not envy him. Ugh. I decided not to fly from LA to Missouri this year, next time they can all come to visit me!

December 24, 2008 at 12:47 pm |
  9. Dulcie

Eeek! Doesn't exactly fill one with confidence, does it?

Here's hoping your flight takes off and you arrive safely, Kay. A very Merry Christmas to you and your family.

December 24, 2008 at 12:42 pm |
  10. John

So what was the ultimate result of this ordeal? Either way, happy holidays to you.

December 24, 2008 at 11:59 am |
  11. Terri Burton

Kay I hope to make it safely today but it is raining in Memphis. Have a safe flight

December 24, 2008 at 11:58 am |