December 22nd, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/22/08

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on the headlines.

But please follow our rules.  Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book)
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials.  LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio.  LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Erica! You should sing for us more often...and get Anderson to step out of his box to sing and dance too!

December 22, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  2. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Erica: Anderson refuses to dance, did we actually expect him to sing? You go girl! Good job too!

December 22, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  3. David, Indiana

Just to respond, I don't think Biden will get crowded out, but it's a good question.

I can hear you now Erica, sorry I missed that first webcast.

Hey looks like we might get some of that Chicago snow tonight.

Erica you need to start a band.

December 22, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  4. EJ (USA)

Erica, you are not going to get Anderson to sing to a female oral contraceptive's commercial. LOL That's the only place I remember that song from. Is it a Yaz commercial? Or is it Seasonale?

5. Brandi - bottom of the boot

Great job Erica! lol

oh the memories! rofl

6. Maureen T

So cool Erica! Rock on! 🙂

7. Candace from Canada

Erica! Great Singing!

Anderson, you don't dance and don't sing.... what do you do? 😉

8. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Oh Erica..I guess you won't be getting the starring role in Singing in the rain? Good try, but my ears are still ringing..

9. Monica Chapman - Milford,CT

I've gotta say, AC360 is on a comic roll tonight!

10. charles

how to hold hold bailout accountable?

11. anderson cooper

i havent done any shopping yet, and im cutting back a lot this year... i hate shopping....

12. Glen Up North

And as for Ed's board shorts: Anders, guess you just didn't want to be the only one who had to appear on camera in shorts this month? 😉

13. Bill T in Missouri

NO NO NO...not more Palin!!! Anderson, make her go away!!!

14. Ashley - Hamlin NY

Good win by CY. Way to commit Hill!

Poor Cooper. Doesn't dance or sing. Let loose man!

15. Kris - Jacksonville FL

Rock on Erica!!!

16. Ingrid from Northern VA

Oh Erica, I love ya but keep your day job....LOL:)

December 22, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  17. Ebony Williams

These executives will pay over 50,000 and bonuses and golden parachutes need to give that money back to the people to pay off the bailout they got. They need to sell their extravegent homes and get a decent, normal person, home or apartment and live there with affordable but stylish IKEA furniture. They need to shop at STOP and SHOP like the rest of us and search around for the lowest gas prices and trade in their cars for normal affordable cars that work for every day use. The money they make from putting their egos and life up for sale will go back to the people. The ones who are being pickpocketed so they can live the GOOD life. No MORE.

December 22, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  18. Ken in NC

Erica is Rockin. LOL

December 22, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  19. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, WA)

Thanks for the birthday wishes, Megan
    Glen up north.....
    You're welcome! 🙂

December 22, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  20. Maureen, Georgia

I guess SP will always be in the news.

December 22, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  21. Kellye, WA

The storms in the Pacific Northwest has caused massive havoc in Portland which got 14 inches of snow. A major truck route Highway 84 has been closed since Sat night. Yet CNN only really reports about the east coast

December 22, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  22. Brandi - bottom of the boot

ok, someone get anderson a nail file! lol

or...some of that bad tasting polish stuff. lol

December 22, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  23. Arash toronto

I would like to say dick cheney is one of the most professeniol liar in this world including bush and we must impeach them they have clearly violated the constitution and thats the fact i wish i could see them in jail.

December 22, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  24. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Looks like Ed Henry needs to "get even" with Anderson now that he got caught with his shorts on.

December 22, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  25. Larry

All I know about biden is his xeroxed speech, and that he said that obama was not ready to be potus.

December 22, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  26. Shelley

It is so hard to believe that ceo's didn't know their company was going down in flames. what do they focus on? We freeze suspected drug dealer's assets why not theirs? I can't believe they haven't broken any laws.

December 22, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  27. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, WA)

Where is Ed Henry?
    Mary H in MO
    Ed Henry is in Honolulu Hawaii.......
    Last night I watched on news CNNTv I was so surprised that plane crash at airport in Denver, CO...... it was so burn out of the plane..... they were so lucky to be alive...... Wow that is so bad planes are stuck the air........

December 22, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  28. Ken

The banks, the executives, and Congress got their pay raises as usual. What do we get? The bill !!! They think we are stupid as they continue to get elected year after year. Someday, the quiet majority is going to wake up and demand accountability from all of them.

December 22, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  29. Marie Sisson

I don't believe people. The women are complaining, the blacks, the gays, everyone who voted for Obama thinks he owes them something now. Sound like the gov. of Illinois. I voted for Obama because I think he is good for the country and I trust him to do the right thing. He owes me nothing, I chose to vote for him and he still has my support. I don't expect him to please me with all his decisions but if I knew it all I would have run for president. People get over it, he hasn't even taken office and already he is the pits because he isn't doing everything all the voters want done to suit them. and we profess to tell our children how to behave when we act worse than any child.

December 22, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  30. Kris - Jacksonville FL

I am soooo happy that I live in Florida!!! No snow for me!!

December 22, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  31. Rikki, Fargo, ND

You know....if you don't have anything nice to say about the weather...

December 22, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  32. laura

what people do not realize even if obama creates these jobs..there is no guarantee that american companies will not bring in cheaper foreign labor...how many times has microsoft gone before congress asking them to increase the HB-1 visas...complaining that they cannot find any qualified american people to work ...

December 22, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  33. jeff

Well I'm gay and have no problem with Rick Warren in the inaguration. President elect Obama is for equality and we have to watch and see as his team gets in office. Hey brothers and sisters in the LGBT community let's stand for what really matters not what is insignificant and will not be remembered in a week.

December 22, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  34. T Alan Evans

$700 Billion Bank Bailout
    $17.4 Billion Big 3 Bailout
    Bush and Cheney leaving office Priceless

December 22, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  35. jacqueline ny

Anderson,

The way you're tearing at your fingers/nails, they must taste like gummy bears. Mmmm, yummy! LOL!

December 22, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  36. Garey L. Bearden

Accountability? From or by congress? This is a joke, right? Just one example of congressional accountability. Congress passed a law against hiring of illegal aliens, along with penalties. Then failed to fund enforcement. This was intentional.
    When congress recongnizes a national mood that they do not wish to make a reality, they pass laws they never intend to enforce to quiet the public, and, fool us into believing they actually care.
    Congress doesn't care about accountability. They make all the right noises, and then, it's business as usual.

December 22, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  37. EJ (USA)

Obama agrees that gay marriage should not be legal.

But he'll eventually come around. I say before the end of his 2nd term : )

December 22, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  38. Mike, Syracuse NY

Anderson, I was trying to drive from Rochester to Syracuse this AM when the Thruway closed. At one point I passed an 18 wheeeler and six cars off the road in 1/2 mile.

December 22, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  39. Ashley - Hamlin NY

Hey! Thanks for mentioning Rochester! (30 minutes away) We always get overshadowed by Buffalo, and Hamlin was mentioned on Friday's show.

It's the month of Upstate NY!

December 22, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  40. LisaL - Canada

hi anderson. shopping all done [except one more book for my mom]

had to weigh in on the egg issue.
    money and other issues aside, i think the issue of having one's DNA floating around out there is interesting.

i don't know who i am. seriously. there is a double adoption in my family. and to boot, my adopted dad's name
    got translated into something other than the original spelling.

in some respects, it doesn't bother me at all. but issues of "family health history", "religious roots" and even
    "nationality" come up periodically – i have no answers.

i don't know how much information egg-donors pass on to their soon-to-be removed off-spring, but i would hope
    that some basic information and family history is passed on.

December 22, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  41. Don, WA

Nobody says "let's settle down and give him (Obama) some time and a chance" better and more convincingly than the good David Gergan.

December 22, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  42. Martina

A 100 car pile up in Michigan is not unusual for the first major snow storm. I use to live in Detroit. We always said "That is how we get rid of some of the defective gene pool." You know the ones that fly by in a four wheel drive...you pass them later in the ditch with all four wheels up in the air.

December 22, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  43. Candace from Canada

Wow! Nice to see that Arctic we experienced a couple of weeks ago have made it south to you all! 😉

Horrible weather conditions in some areas! Travel Safe!

Amazing story of that Continental 737 in Denver. Absolutely amazing that all 112 pax and 3 crew all survived.
    I think that was a Christmas miracle!

December 22, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  44. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

I love it... A collared shirt and it looked like gym shorts... and I'm sure flip flops... That gave me a good laugh..

December 22, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  45. kayle ct

It's so weird to think of Cheney as one of the most powerful vp's...he so out of the spotlight most of the time you almost forget about him, until he shoots someone in the face. Biden and the entire cabinet will be so opposite, its going to be odd to have an in your face cabinet.

And ed is so sipping pina coladas off camera.

December 22, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  46. Herb Flower

This bewilderment about where the bailout money went bewilders me. Here is how to fix it: 1. Bring the CEO's from the banks and put them before a Congressional Committee. 2. Ask them what they did with our money. 3. If they don't answer, charge them with contempt and haul them off to jail. 4. If that doesn't work bring in the next level of management until you get the answers.

Simple and cost effective

Herb from Utah

December 22, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  47. Jim M

When is Congress going to provide oversight for credit card interest rates. It is one matter if interest rates are directly related to the card-holders poor payment record. The banks certainly have a right to set standards as to who can receive a credit card and the limit on such a card. However, it appears that these days the banks and credit card companies are trying to replace lost mortgage and loan income on the backs of the credit card holders.

December 22, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  48. Ingrid from Northern VA

I think I'll put Ed Henry up as my screen saver for warm weather thoughts and amusement:):)

December 22, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  49. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

The weather here in Michigan has been horrible. That 100 car pile-up on I-94 was in my hometown. It's sad that a 31 year old doctor got killed.

December 22, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  50. Lesa, TN

Oh Anderson,

You're wrong for that! Panning down to Ed's shorts. That was so funny. Have fun in Hawaii, Ed!

December 22, 2008 at 10:35 pm |