December 22nd, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/22/08

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on the headlines.

But please follow our rules.  Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book)
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials.  LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio.  LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Mike, Syracuse NY

Mary H., Ed Henry is in Hawaii. That's Diamondhead in the background.

December 22, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  2. Glen Up North

Thanks for the birthday wishes, Megan and Mary! 😀

December 22, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  3. Presley

Oh please, don't we all wish we were Ed Henry right now.
    Sun, sand and surf.....
    Where was his Lei?

December 22, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  4. Lori from IL

Good for Ed Henry -

Ed, have a Pina Colada or Blue Hawaii for me!

December 22, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  5. EJ (USA)

Isn't it odd for a right-leaning pastor to even "approve of" civil unions? I was reading that some people in his church wanted him fired just for that.

I just think that there is an opportunity that some gay rights' groups may be missing with Rick Warren. To even get some more people on the right (who do not support CUs) to support civil unions I think would be a step forward.

December 22, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  6. Cecilia C

Lol!!! I knew it! He IS wearing shorts!

December 22, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  7. Zelyne

I am very dissappointed with the congress. They can't seem to get off their hind legs and stand up for something. They let Bush-Chaney ram the Iraq war down our throats. They are just as responsible as Bush-Chaney. I and my family were marching in San Francisco 200,000 strong against this war so you can't say no one knew the right answer. Now they fall for the "give me the money or the sky will fall" Is it possible to get a Speaker of the House with guts and good sense?

December 22, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  8. todd

dear anderson.
    i'm not completely sure how things work in your democracy. however is it not true that the 700billion given to the financial sector was the taxpayers money. is there no way to track the money ,i mean if the treasury gives an institution taxpayers money,is there no paper or electronic trail. i for one would truly call that keeping them honest.

todd canada

December 22, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  9. Larry

What happened to the noble principle of transparency that was promised?

December 22, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, WA)

Susan,
    Me too...... Cheney scare me most..... I agree with you....

December 22, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  11. Ashley - Hamlin NY

Did anyone notice that Ed Henry couldn't keep a straight face when Cooper said "Blagoveich."

Oh, and good for him to be wearing board shorts. Since all the other journalists are at desks, maybe Cooper and Gergen aren't wearing any pants.

December 22, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  12. Candace from Canada

*LOL* Nice Shorts Henry!

December 22, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  13. Rikki, Fargo, ND

That's awesome! I wish I was somewhere warm enough for board shorts! Good call Anderson!

December 22, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  14. Brandi - bottom of the boot

ha! great shorts!! c'mon, at least he has a shirt on, poor anderson had to take his shirt off too! lol

December 22, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  15. Michelle Brown

Remember when the VP was the back up for the President? During that time it was logical for the VP to know what the President was doing. The President use to sort of take the VP under his/her wing. Now we act as though it is two seperate jobs, and something is strange wrong with the VP being in the room for the important meetings.

Oh yeah, I just wanted to say ,I am glad they bought Lay-a-way back. A great concept. Pay for it ,then take it home, no credit card debt, no finance charges, no huge fees and bs. Life was simple and good

December 22, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  16. kathy mayo

Thank you, Anderson, for continuing to pound on this story of corporate greed in the midst of the bailout. I'm outraged as well. Why do the folks who caused this massive catestrophe have to pay no price at all while others' lives are ruined. We should continue to demand that the bonuses be returned, on principle. When you do a friggin' horrible job, you shouldn't be rewarded! Thanks so much.

December 22, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  17. John T. Ann Arbor, MI

Hello Anderson, Erica, and fellow bloggers:
    To answer your question Anderson, No. I have not even started shopping yet. My personal Holiday tradition is to go on x-mas eve, and get gift cards for all my family and friends.

This just re-affirms the fact that the Banks should not have been bailed out period. Then these Congressmen have the nerve/gall to give the Big three such a hard time over 15 Billion. It shows that Government as it is now, does not work.
    No one should get a bailout, let the market work as it should, strong companies will survive and weak ones will die. It is not pleasant for workers of the companies that will not make it, but it is as it must be for the economy to correct itself. This socialism that is now being created will put this country in a worst position in the long run!

December 22, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  18. Stephany

The VP is not really part of the "executive" branch - he is the president pro tempore of the Senate and waits around to take over if the president is incapacitated. It's only during the Bush years did Cheney run the country.

December 22, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  19. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

Where is Ed Henry? Ok, are you guys just wanting to taunt those of us in the grips of one of the coldest Decembers in years with these beautiful shots of the Ocean and blue sky.... Ok, please show him again, may be the only blue sky I see for a couple days.

December 22, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  20. Jacquelyn

Don't be surprised when a "rules change" allows firms formed by TARP recipient corporations to do wholesale purchase of foreclosed and "troubled" properties with federal guarantees on the mortgages.

Apparently the TARP has done wonders in forclosure prevention in the Hamptons by subsidizing mortgage payments by Wall Street money people.

I have also begun to wonder if Mr. Cheney actually ran a shadow government...and that the president was merely a figurehead under the terms of their "special agreement." Cheney seems to claim to be apart from and not accountable to any branch of government whatsoever, which seems to be a claim of absolute immunity from compliance with all of our laws and immunity from all accountability.

If allowed to stand as precedent, Mr. Cheney's allegation will inevitably have tragic consequences in our national future.

December 22, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  21. Flamur

Good evening Anderson and Greetings from Canada!!!

My family and I are shopping....but we're very reserved this year. We can't help but notice the fear amongst citizens around us and in US. I was watching the show when you were showing harrendeous amounts of bonuses that bank CEOs have taken over the years.
    I am disgusted by all this and I can't help but think of the lady you mentioned who sells eggs to pay the bills.
    I am sorry but this is so wrong. Those people should be banned from public life.

December 22, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  22. Rohit from india

Anderson cooper,I want to be like you. No shopping,In fact no christmas type celebration. I have got my exams tomorrow and i'm watching ac360 .

December 22, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  23. Dante ( brooklyn)

wats up A.C.!
    Quick question if the tarp funds were for financial sector and to issue credit to big Corp. why cant the big 3 get the credit they need from the banks to stay afloat.Instead were paying twice.

December 22, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  24. Mike, Syracuse NY

Rick Warren is more mainstream in what he thinks than the left who are complaining. Gay marriage has been voted down again and again. Warren is with the majority, and Obama agrees that gay marriage should not be legal.

December 22, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  25. Mark

AC,

I think that now is the time to stop using taxpayer dollars on services for those individuals that are in our country illegally. This is one way that we can save billions of taxpayer dollars, and reallocate those funds to be used as part of Obama's job creation plan.

December 22, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  26. Glen Up North

A Wii? That could be another thing at which news could look... Why is Nintendo unable to ship sufficient amounts of Wii... or are they really incapable of doing so? I've heard of (and seen) strange goings-on regarding what seems to be the most popular toy on the market this year. Absurd. Why not just _sell_ what people want to buy?

December 22, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  27. Bill T in Missouri

If Warren thinks those flippant remarks would bring us flowing to his throng, he simply doesn't have a clue. We're gay, not stupid!

December 22, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  28. Orlando

With the amount of these bailouts all the mortgages in America could have been paid off. That is what they are saying got us into this mess. But we still hear nothing about helping out the people that are on the hook for all these billions.

December 22, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  29. CAROLYN JONES

i got my email from the obama, i will not comment on rick warren.

December 22, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  30. Silas Stephan, Cameron, NC

The sad part of this all, is they don't care, and nothing will be done, even with our comments and complaints. Even with the new congress moving in, I don't think it'll be enough to save this country. Brace yourself for the D word. This situation BTW, is not Bush's fault for once. This fault is all on the banks and the greedy CEOs that "run" them.

December 22, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  31. Janice Cranmer

When it comes to the "B" word (bonus) that Wall Street is so fond of, it time for Main Street to use the "B" word (boycott).

Those Americans who have done business with those intuitions that have so flagrantly spent the taxpayers' money need to move their business to banks who have been successful in their dealings.

December 22, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, WA)

Glen up North – Happy Birthday.. I hope you have fun your birthday!!!!!!
    Enjoy your cake!

December 22, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  33. Wayne

Congress needs to force the banks to lend and extend lines of credit to small businesses. My son and many of his friends who own small businesses are having their line of credit called even though they have made all their payments on time. If all these small businesses are eliminated, many more citizens will become unemployed. These people need help immediately.

December 22, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  34. Lori from IL

I just don't get this lack of accountability on all the bail out money. At one time I held a treasurer position in local government and taxpayer money required total accountability. Lots of reporting at the local, state and federal level. No accountability at the federal level is an astounding concept to me.

December 22, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  35. Glen Up North

Anne : you focus on what type of work you'd be most happy doing, and I'll focus on sending my positive thoughts that you succeed with time to spare! 🙂

December 22, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  36. Scott

Terry, you hit it right on the head. Give the money to the people to spend, not to big business to hoard.

December 22, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  37. Dulcie - Denver

Hah! All I remember that Vice Prez. Chaney did was shoot a guy while hunting in Texas!

December 22, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  38. Brandi - bottom of the boot

@EJ,

rofl!! that was a good one! ill take his wii fit since he didnt like it!

December 22, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  39. k g moll

the brightest and the smartest set themselves up for me, me, me, and we could loose them if we do not pay their bonus??

December 22, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  40. Keith Stout

On your story about banks refusing to account for what they did with the bailout money, shouldn't the question be "Why didn't Congress put in controls to ensure accountability to the public." Note I didn't say accountable to Congress, those clowns don't think they are accountable to anyone.

December 22, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  41. susan

Cheney scares me.

December 22, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  42. Tracey - Boston

Cheney is in denial about his role..devil incarnate some would say .

December 22, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  43. Fanta

Biden will be a VP on the same scale as AL Gore jr. He will have lots to say, but no influence and no place to express his huge ego.

December 22, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  44. Kris - Jacksonville FL

Gotta love Cheney! Just think us Americans voted for this!!

December 22, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  45. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

@ Glen up North – Happy Birthday.. Ok, I am ready for Spring even though winter just started "officially" a couple days ago.... I am ready for a good snow storm.. We have been getting the freezing rain and sleet variety which is just a pain.

December 22, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  46. Paul F

Stop with the bail outs. lets do something that will realy make more jobs. stop buying stuff made in china and buy a Ford

December 22, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  47. Mike Schnieders in southern Indiana

to Ken

credit unions

December 22, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  48. robert fabio

It is unacceptable not to have full accounting for every dollar of the financial bailout. Congress screwed up by not demanding the accounting and even if a Constitutional Amendment is required to enforce retroactive accounting, lets get it done!

December 22, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  49. Maureen, Georgia

Hi Anderson, Erica and bloggers the news about the ceo's and bailouts just seem to get worse, I feel like we're being ripped off more and more everyday.

December 22, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  50. Tracey - Boston

Cheney is the only man who could shoot his own friend and get a pat on the back.

December 22, 2008 at 10:26 pm |