December 22nd, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/22/08

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on the headlines.

But please follow our rules.  Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book)
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials.  LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio.  LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. jerry coleman

if yhey want tell us the tax payer what they are doing with the money, we should demand that they give that money back, what is wrong with us, the american people are in a ponzi scheme now.

December 22, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  2. Anne

No shoping for me this year, I have been
    jobless for the past three mounths. have been
    looking for any kind of job with no success.Pray for
    me folks becouse am loosing it.

December 22, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  3. JacquiChan

hey Anderson not that I should b spending my cabbage but I bought my self (with holiday gift $) a gift to share w my Mom – the best juicer ever! it makes juice from whole fruits and veggies also makes soups and other junk
    And ya know that "give a laptop get one" deal... if you buy one for a kid who needs one you can buy one for a kid you know they are designed for children they are adorable and free wireless internet I actually got one for myself so I can have my own (kinda silly but it's practical and cheaper than a regular one) and help a kid get an education at the same time can't wait to use it!

4. Brandi - bottom of the boot

hmmm...i never thought of selling my eggs. not sure i could bring myself to part with them so easily, even for money, kinda like selling your babies. never did get the whole reproductive donation thing with all the kids who need good homes.

5. jacqueline ny

Jim,
    LOLOLOL! My sentiment, exactly.

6. Sylvana Smith, Canada

Haha, good question. I think everyone is on a budget this year. Certainly as a student everyone is getting things from the dollar store this year from me...haha. But, even with that no its not all done the hardest thing is figuring who to get presents for and who not to...because you cant afford to get present for everyone and if you get a present for someone then you embarrass them and then if you dont and they do you do then your embarrassed...so the real question is what is rule when buying presents this year. Anyone know?

7. Cecilia C

Lol yeah.. I swear he IS wearing shorts. I certainly would.

8. Kathryn Heath

I don't think it's a coincidence that Dick Cheney and Michael Vick are subjects of the same broadcast!

9. Orecia Virgin Islands

I am not in congress and knew those bail out plans seemed like a bad idea. No accountability!!!! 🙂

10. Mike Schnieders

greed

11. Mary B. Britton

It is past time for the American people to insist on more accountability from our government officials. How 700 billion dollars can be haphazardly given to anyone without insisting on strict accountability is beyond reason.

12. Diane

Are you kidding me?!! Frank Paulsen appeared before Congress insisting that he needed basically 'carte blanche' to get this money that was to help the banks and thus the American people. We, the taxpayers, are footing the bill for these yahoos who cried that they had to have this huge infusion of cash to stay afloat. But it was meant to help the troubled housing market. Yet none of it has gone there. Suddenly it was a bait & switch...it went to the banks. And now they are hoarding it, refusing to lend, and most diksgusting of all, failing to account for the funds. And acting as arrogantly as usual saying, basically, they don't gave t. So all they have done so far is take our money & run. Me, I'm trying to figure out if I can pay the electric bill or the phone bill & the cable bill! Where's my multi-million dollar bonus?!!

13. Bonnie

Erica–what did you buy Anderson–we won't tell

14. william akin

Its very unfair and unbalanced Detroit was asking for a 15 billion dollar loan, and the Ceo's were humbled, over 300 billion was given to wall street with no accountability whatsoever !

15. Ryan

I hate to be a cynic, but haven't we all learned by now that this is the world we live in. The wealthy rule the world. If you happen to find yourself in that position, then you live a blessed life; while everyone else clammers to reach you.

16. Leslie

I have done all the shopping I will do this time waiting until after Christmas.

17. Michael McKelvey

Hi Everyone,

Below is an accountability solution
    I wanted to start the conversation about creating the energy and effort to inspire all depositors banking with the 21 banks that received $1 Billion or more of the TARP to move their accounts immediately to local credit union or community banks that have do not operate in more than two states.

If 30 to 40 percent of the customers banking with the 21 banks would move their accounts immediately, the CEOs of these 21 banks would understand the importance of transparency – –

They should provide an audited report by Feb 1, 2009 and the audit report should be completed by the big four accounting firms who report to the new economic team and make the report public by Feb 15, 2009

Trust me, if 30 to 40 percent of the customer base move their deposits, the 21 banks will be called to DC immediately to meet with the new Administration.

December 22, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  18. Janine from PA.

My shopping is done, I sent fruit and the company preprints the names of who I sent to last year, I approve or change the order write out a check, and voila! I am done.
    Even though people have laughed at me I still think they should have sent all households at least $100,000 to $1mil rather then give it to the bankers who will obviously pay themselves. This way the working people would have money to buy merchandise, pay off or down their debts and take out loans, and save some, too. They could have put some limits on what to use it on so people don't end up bankrupt but give the money to us, the people.

December 22, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  19. Don, WA

I have a hard time believing washington lawyers "overlooked" adding accountability clauses in their bank co. lendings.
    The Hawaiian Diamond Head backdrop in Ed Henry's shot sure looks good on this freezing snowy day here!

December 22, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  20. Joan Hutchinson

Let the ceo's of the banks just leave. They don't care about the lower employees that they have let go . Tell the banks that we (the US government) want our money back if they can not account for it.

December 22, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  21. Niwat, Lincoln Square, IL

Hi Anderson and AC360 team,

I am very excited as this is my first time ever in the progam, in fact, as a blogger.
    Well for the bail-out plan, out of 700 billion dollars pour in the financial sector, hopefully this year of 2008, it would not have to pay its top executive as much as last year, that would be definitely an object of ridicure, if there is not accountablity .
    I would rather see this fund handle by President-elect Barack Obama to be part of his hew economic stimulus package.

December 22, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  22. Tina L

Hi Anderson

The financial institutions do get it. Not only are they receiving the profits from their high rates and fees they charge their customers, they have now figured out how to get all American's money.

December 22, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  23. Sejal

So basically the banking loans were useless. How can the government get it so wrong?! The lack of oversight makes you wonder whether they(the govt) will ever get it right. There is absolutely no confidence that any of these loans will actually help us.

December 22, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  24. EJ (USA)

Ed Henry – I'm sure you're having such a hard time reporting from HAWAII! : )

December 22, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  25. bill muir

On January 20th, Barack Obama should change the rules for everyone that received bailout money with no strings attached.
    They should all pay 10 percent interest and pay it all back to the new government over the next 5 years.
    This badly needed money could be gifted back to develop Barack's new Education and Health plan for our Country.

December 22, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  26. Ken

Anderson,

It's getting very frustrating / sad watching the beginning of what I think could be the long term collaps of the US. As a small business owner, I am loosing confidence in the capability of the adminstrations, both the current and in-coming, to resolve this mess. The financial institutions shouldn't get any more money. Let the government give the money back, directly, to the taxpayers. $350 billion...distributed across the population = $1,000,000.00 per person. The vast majority could pay our mortgages off and have money left over to pump back into the economy....

December 22, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  27. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

As usual, David Gergen is right on. We need confidence in order to get this economy going. How many people are feeling confident that our government/Congress knows what needs to be done?

December 22, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  28. erica

one thing i would like to know is how much longer do we the people have to deal with the goverment giving our hard working money to companies that turn around and can even explain where the money is going to! how much more of our money do we have to lose!!

erica

29. Gail -Fremont, CA

Bonuses are voted by the stockholders of companies. Change stockholders to eliminate bonuses. Everyone who has a relationship with a bank who received bailout money, should be contacting them on a daily basis demanding where the money went. We, the taxpayers are entitled to know! Maybe they will eventually get the message.

30. Danny Guspie

We do not have to be sheep. Collectively we could force accountability in the most simple and direct way: Hold back monthly payments; withhold taxes and let them sue us. Our defense is necessity: The need to protect our tax dollars to ensure that every penny is accounted for.

However the problem is no one will do that, so ultimately the responsibility lands on all our tired over taxed shoulders.

Surely in this day of interconnectedness, and if the President Elect can unite people on the internet and raise the amounts of money he did, surely there are some smart people out there who could create a similar website for us to organize ourselves.

You keep them accountable Anderson!

Regards,

Danny

31. Tom Scheve

I'm a small business man – 2.5 million in sales a year. Shown a profit by cutting back this year. My banks are squeezing me. Lowered our credit lines – giving me a song and dance. Saying that govt auditors are preventing them from risking loans.

Wells Fargo reduces my credit line while I had checks out on it and actually returned the checks before notifying me that the line had been reduced

32. Paul F

If you get a loan from a Bank you have to let them know exactly what you plan to do with the money now we the people loan them money and you cant get a peep from the bank on where the money went. something needs to happen about this

33. laura

so instead of being outraged....people need to change their behavior...because those bad loans were given to people....

34. Dave, PA

It's a real shame that most hardworking Americans have to work 12 to 15 hour days just to put food on the table, while the big bank executives don't even work 15 hours a month or a year for that matter and have all this glitz and glamour to show. They take our hard earned money right out our hands! It's absolutely ridiulous and its not fair to the actual backbones of this country, the ones that make up the highest percentage of working jobs in this country.

December 22, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, WA)

Cecilia C
    Welcome to Live Blog tonight!!! Nice have you be here tonight!

36. kathy

AC,

When is this going to stop on the hand outs1!! When are Americans going to start taking responsibility for their OWN actions!!! IF the big banks cant tell us where OUR money has gone........then lets ALL leave these banks and look for other FI's that are accountable; like the Credit Unions and small Community B.....lets then see what the BIG banks will do then ???

37. Elijah Sampson

Anderson good job keeping holding these banks accountable. I pay overdraft fees when I use what I don't in my account they need to tell the American people what they doing with the money.

38. joeann in sydney

hello anderson and erica

am giveing card with donated to global food crisis appeal . to my family and friends this years

merry xmas anderson and staff

how was your office party this year?

39. Ron/Kathy French

You'v got to be kidding! Where is the bailout money being spent? How come our representatives aren't being held accountable for these "jokers" alias bankers on their money spending? Lawmakers think that the auto workers should take a pay cut-get real – there is no way the autoworkers pay package affects us like these huge bonus packages are. Quick get me a job with the major banks that received the bailout money.

40. Bill T in Missouri

David Gergen...There will NEVER be confidence in the banking industry by the American people.

41. Charles Lyday

The Boards of Directors need to be held accountable for excessive compensation payments during times of poor corporate performance. Stockholders need to remove directors who are not exercising proper governance of the corporations.

42. judy

Hello..am I missing something here? We the taxpayers bail out the banks but it is still ok for them to jack up credit card interest rates and
    add unreasonable late fees ..shouldn't it be a two way street? We help them they help us...and no accountability? How are we letting this happen?

43. Larry

Congress, in actuality, are just elected lobbyists.

44. Joe Mirsky

The usual argument for giving the CEO more money than anyone could ever spend is that he did great things for the company.

But this does not address the point at issue. The point is not how great the accomplishment, but what great accomplishments are worth.

Here’s the answer: nothing anybody ever did is worth that much money.

Do you think all the CEOs would quit if all they could get was a measly million a year? After all, they’re just salarymen. If they need that kind of money, let them go out and start their own businesses so they can keep it all. (Hint: it’s not so easy.)

Here’s a better incentive: succeed or be fired.

Adapted from my book Ornamentally Incorrect

December 22, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  45. Mike Schnieders

if they can recieve all that bonuses
    they should be held accountable
    if they can be convicted on a crime then they should have all thier assests confiscated and sent to prision, not the country club type
    this should send a thought to those that it is for the american people not thier grees

December 22, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  46. Brandi - bottom of the boot

Anderson, stop biting your nails. lol

its so nice to see you have a 'normal' person flaw. 😛

December 22, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  47. jacqueline ny

Rene Boucher,

What a brilliant idea. I never even thought of that. That would have been a much better solution, I think. Truly Brilliant!

December 22, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  48. Mary, RI

Where on my income tax form can I claim the $750B loss?
    Or will only by $350B?

December 22, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  49. Ingrid from Northern VA

Hey everyone,
    I did my shopping in Sierra Leone back in Oct. during a mission trip and considering they are the poorest country in the world, the dollar goes a long way!
    After seeing people live off of less than $100 a YEAR over there, the excess of the corporate executives here is sickening!

December 22, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  50. Bonnie

Finished shopping–speaking of shopping–how do you get that $83 million job? I could run a bank into the ground and then ask for a bailout–and then try and scrape by on my $83 mil

December 22, 2008 at 10:15 pm |