December 22nd, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/22/08

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on the headlines.

But please follow our rules.  Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book)
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials.  LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio.  LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. ericacnn

hi, everyone – and happy monday. my shopping is not done, and i'm not sure if i'll be able to pack it all in before work tomorrow. i'm going to try, though – no desire to finish it on xmas eve with all the other last-minute shoppers !

December 22, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  2. Maurice

Honestly, what should we expect. You have the fox guarding the hen house. Honestly, the elected officials work for us (the American People). In theory, the work for whomever gives them the biggest check. If we did what our elected officals do, we all would be looking at serious prison time.

America wake-up. Not a white, black, brown, yellow, etc.-America, but a united America. I for one am tired of being treated like an abused spouse. We keep getting beat and continue to to show up. I am tired, tired, tired.

You have a business community that have the executives making decision were we all are asked to do more with less, but they are the ones taking more.

We have been tricked. Wake-up and use your common sense. This is not rocket science. It is robbery, plain and simple.

We kind of look like a 3rd World Country. You have 5% of the population treating 95% of the population as their personal doormat.

December 22, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  3. Don Daniel

I have been a world news follower since I retired 5 years ago and I rarely heard of Chaney. Has he done anything? If so, WHAT has he done??

December 22, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  4. Ken in NC

WOW Everybody is getting in line for BAILOUT money. Where can regular citizens go to get in the line. Seems like the ones that would be spending the money back into the system are being left out.

December 22, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  5. Imani from Maryland

Hello Everyone!!!!!!!

December 22, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  6. annie - Indianapolis, IN

Hi Anderson and Erika,

No Christmas shopping this year.
    And about bail-outs, who will bail us out? And why on earth this CEOs getting this much money? How much someone needs?
    Anderson you have seen a lot in different coutries, sick kids and ...,I can't understand how these CEOs sleep at night when we have lot of people in need of food and ... here in US and in other countries.

December 22, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  7. Bruce Smithwick

Anderson, I was not happy to hear you say " They do not get it" referring to the CEO's who are still getting paid outrageous amounts of money for their failure. They are getting it! Lots of MONEY.

December 22, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  8. Tagen Howe

Happy Monday to you too.

I did all my shopping at Bank Of America this year. I thought the gift of money was appropriate to give.

December 22, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  9. laura

i am curious how many people stopped using credit cards since hearing about the TARP money given to the banks and are outraged with their use of it.....if people want banks to take them serious...then people should curb some of their credit card use...banks make majority of the money from people having huge credit balances...so we are the keepers of the future...

December 22, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  10. John

I'm usually not out spoken about politics, but Congress and the banks involved in the bailout is ripping off the public. No matter what Congress says, they could have put in conditions and required accountability of fund use. It seems to me that they put on a show for the public and help their bank buddies. I don't see any changes from all the rhetorics that we heard from the political parties in Washington. It's bunch of BULL. I don't like it, and I have most of the country on my side on this issue.

December 22, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  11. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you on tonight.
    I'm about done shopping for Christmas, though am glad I started early–the cold and snow have really slowed things down–and other parts of the country have had much more severe weather than here.

December 22, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  12. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

Evening, AC, Erica, and 360 staff.

I can't believe those comments from the banks.... makes no sense at all.

It certainly looks like people are out shopping, at least the stores and parking lots are crowded. Maybe more looking than shopping. I did most of my shopping Friday and Saturday and there were some really good deals out there.

December 22, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  13. Chris in CO

I have an idea. Why don't they just zero out everyone's debt. Credit Cards, etc . and homeowners will not owe more than their homes are worth. That would be the best stimulus if they really wanted to solve the problem.

December 22, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  14. Lalit

ITS RIDICULOUS!!...after all the economy drama going....how can these biggies be so shameless and take away big share of the pie.......these biggies must be sacked first ...

December 22, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  15. Jim,

Shopping??? with what ? My good looks?????

December 22, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  16. Scott

I just can't see why we are bailing out companies. Doesn't our government realize that people that live paycheck to paycheck can't afford to spend money. If we don't have money to spend, big business can't make any money. Lets bailout the public, not businesses !!

December 22, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  17. Alan-Baltimore MD

I am really tired of hearing how much banks executives took in salary&bonus and "what did they do with the first $350 billions bail-out?", etc ,etc.
    Just give them all the $700 billions as one big bonus and let's please move on to some less painful subject!

December 22, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  18. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, WA)

I saw Obama in Honolulu Hawaii his vacation this morning on CNN TV!!!! I already touch Hawaii for my vacation last month!

December 22, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  19. Sharon

What's going on with the banks is better than the best book ever written. I certainly hope the remaining money is denied Paulson and his band of merry men who's philosophy is take from the poor and give to the rich. The banks are screwing us every way they can – they put our national debt over the top, they won't lend money and if they do they want a ton of restrictions that they didn't have to provide and they are screwing around the credit cards, to the point that it also affects credit scores just by a reduction in credit line, often putting people near their limit which affects credit scores. I say no more to them. If the auto comapnies have 3 months to become viable the same should be for the financial sector.

December 22, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  20. Michael McKelvey

Hi Everyone,

Below is an accountability solution for the 21 banks in question

I wanted to start the conversation about creating the energy and effort to inspire all depositors banking with the 21 banks that received $1 Billion or more of the TARP to move their accounts immediately to local credit union or community banks that have do not operate in more than two states.

If 30 to 40 percent of the customers banking with the 21 banks would move their accounts immediately, the CEOs of these 21 banks would understand the importance of transparency – –

They should provide an audited report by Feb 1, 2009 and the audit report should be completed by the big four accounting firms who report to the new economic team and make the report public by Feb 15, 2009

Trust me, if 30 to 40 of the customer base move their deposits, the 21 banks will be called to DC immediately to meet with the new Administration.

December 22, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  21. James Curtis

What kind of long-term effect does this have on every American? I thought that I heard at one time that the national debt is equivalent to 35K to every man, woman and child in the US. Is this true? How will we deal with that?

December 22, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  22. Mike Z.

What is it going to take to wake up this country and start fighting back against this b.s.? Just love those banks, i'm late and get charged 35.00 they get 1 billion and don't have to payback anything. WHY??

December 22, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  23. Bill T in Missouri

Shopping? What is this you speak of??

December 22, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  24. Joe D

Hi Anderson,

Happy Holidays!

I love your Keeping Then Honest segment but in all honestly what good does it do to gripe about the banks and all their hoarding of OUR money? With no accountability expected of them by Congress why would we as citizens expecting it from them? Congress needs to be held accountable just as much as those they're giving money to.

December 22, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  25. Silas Stephan, Cameron, NC

I can swear like a sailor at how ticked off I am at our government and the lack of accountability they have had with the $810B bailout of the financial institutions. They should of yanked the money as soon as they heard they were still going on extravagant vacations and paying out huge bonuses. I've been unemployed for over a year, where is my bailout? I had to file for bankruptcy, so why shouldn't the automakers? Yes, throw some scare tatics that people won't buy from a bankrupt company...people still fly don't they!?

Unbelievable.

December 22, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  26. Margie

This is so ridiculous that the banks were not required to account for what they did with taxpayers money. It appears the banks have taken advantage of the people (again). It's more unbelievable that the Treasury is so "laissez faire" about tracking $350B, now they're asking for the second half.

December 22, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  27. Chris in CO

Why do we even have to have the Fed? They are part of this problem too. They are culpable for this mess.

December 22, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  28. Ken

Nothing new for executives. Remember Paulson was one a few years ago. The NJ Governor was also in the click. Taking money from friends is not a way to keep them friends. Small business owners do what they have to, cutting their own salaries, to keep their employees and the business in the black. Maybe it is time to get rid of the people at the top and let them run a small business.

December 22, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  29. Umesh Jain

Any executive with any sense of self respect should not take a single penny in bonuses until they can be proud of the outcome that they help companies produce.

When an executive takes on bonuses with their companies tanking, the message is very clear – I believe that this is the best that I can get this company to and hence I deserve a bonus! Fire these executives as they can do nothing better than what they have achieved.

December 22, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  30. Reuven Bogoff

Cap one took 3.5B and purchaed another bank and is sitting on the rest - the people have been screwed again

he auto compaines has to accoun for evey penny and they are trying to keep jobs and produce products

Let take the banks to task –

December 22, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  31. Joanne Tomarchio

Does anyone suspect the same financial institutions needing a government bailout might be guilty of the same bogus accounting previously used by Enron? Instead of correcting those "accepted accounting principles" did financial institutions just continue cooking the books without thought of future consequences?

If Enron is the best example of the post-dot-com era's fund-drive mania, then are financial institutions (helped by the repeal of the Glass-Stegall Act) the newest and most critical example of
    he free-market hypothesis gone very wrong?

It appears that non-regulated big business knows how to press the Ponzi-scheme button and they guarantee their success on it.

Maybe at the end of this crisis, wherever that may be, those who pay more attention to history rather than numbers might be better equipped to know what the future holds.

December 22, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  32. yasmeen

Happy monday anderson cooper and everyone! nope no holiday shopping for me. This year is all about homemade presents

December 22, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  33. Roslyn Rossein

They should all be jaile for theft of our money and theft of services.

34. Bets

Too bad the oversight or concern comes when this administration gave a blank check to Wall St and Wall St. kept spending our tax dollars like it was a horn of plenty.

So the main street mantra was just a bunch or smoke & mirrors.

So much for responsibility, accountability & transparency.

Suck Wall St. dry!!

35. Amy Kinley, TN

I'm finished, cut way back this year, only buying for my kids. Where I work, every year they give us a gift certificate for a turkey. This year, they apparently are cutting back too. The gift certificate was for "$12 toward the purchase of a turkey."

36. Mike Carlson

KISS is the key ... Keep It Simple, Stupid! Economics is really simple. One person works an hour to make something. They then trade the result of that hour's work to get someone else's work product. Any left over is profit. If you have to pay more, you're in debt. When workers can't earn their hour of value, then they can't buy someone else's work output and the whole scaffolding of the economy collapses.

37. Cecilia C

Hello Anderson and bloggers! First time poster here.

I have scaled down significantly on my shopping this year. I live in southamerica, where the economic crisis has been some what mild, but it has definitely made a difference on the hollidays. It has certainly been a slow holliday season.

Well, let's hope next year is better...

38. Dulcie - Denver

Man, my bank (Wells Fargo) is absolutely killing my with fees. Every single month because of they way they've changed their policies. Add that to the fact that I got quite a bit lower salary than I was hoping for at my new job and it's going to be a struggle to make it.

And the banks just raked in the bailout money and the CEOs are still gettijng their huge salaries. I feel really... violated.

39. Ashley - Hamlin NY

@Aleksandr: All right, they are CEOs of MAJOR corporations. I can understand that they may want one private plane. But five? Last time I checked you can only use one jet at a time....

And it's kind of cocky and arrogant that they arrive to Congress with their hands out in after spending and wasting a bunch of money on their frivilous spending habits.

40. Robin

It seems like the bailout was just to pay these CEO's salaries, I say don't give these coorperations anymore money until we see some real changes.

41. Rene Boucher

Would it not of been better to give every amrican citizen a $1 million and make it only to pay off debts. It would have cost less than $700 billion and people would have there homes. The only catch would be the money could only pay off bills owed. No cash value.

42. Rikki, Fargo, ND

David...it isn't just you...I'm not getting an audio feed for the webcast either!

43. Anne

Hi Cooper,
    Hope your weekend was alright dispice of the bad weather.Nice to see you.Looking good

44. Chris

I am so sick of the money these thieves are getting from us! I want my money back. Where is my bonus? I am too large to let fail. Where is my money??? This is disgusting. We should stop giving any money to this organization.

45. Kathryn Heath

I'll bet the victims of Katrina aren't buying the "we had to get the money out fast because it was an emergency" as an excuse for no accountability.

46. Dave Kinsey

At some point in time the American People will demand the heads of these heads of companies. The key here is make them toe the line like the normal working person. If they don't like it they can leave. If they were any good to begin with then we would not be in this position

December 22, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  47. Philoan Tran - Houston

A multi -cultural greeting to Anderson, Erica and all @ CNN: Merry Christmas, Joyeux Noel, Feliz Navidad and Chuc Mung Giang Sinh (Vietnamese).

Instead of financial bailout, it should be called a "trickle up plan" – ripping off from the middle class to give to the corporate executives.

December 22, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  48. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Can you really compare how many resumes Bush got vs. Obama during their transitons when Obama's is during a year of high unemployment?

December 22, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  49. Maureen T

Anderson,
    great to see President Elect Obama trying to get some r and r. I'll bet Barack still has his ears to the ground!

December 22, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  50. jacqueline ny

Ken in NC December 22nd, 2008 10:05 pm ET

Good evening Anderson and Erica and all bloggers. It is a shame that now the robbers are the banks.

LOL! Ken, very funny. But the sad truth is, the banks have always been robbers, at least as far back as I can recall.

December 22, 2008 at 10:10 pm |