December 22nd, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/22/08

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on the headlines.

But please follow our rules.  Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book)
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials.  LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio.  LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Mike, Syracuse NY

Hello Anderson. My shopping is done. Good thing too, it's been snowing for 3 days.

December 22, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  2. Joe Terrogano

It is time for the Department of Justice to step in and begin looking into what the banks did or are doing with the bail-out money. I am sure there are Federal laws or regulations that can be applied to this situation. And Congress needs to wake up! Money given away without accountability. How stupid can you get? Gee let's trust the banks that have ruined themselves!

December 22, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  3. EJ (USA)

I saw a picture of Obama on vacation without a shirt on – on some website today. Wowie wow.

December 22, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  4. jeff

Well the banks choose not to be accountable. So hold off the rest until they come clean and pay us back with interest.

December 22, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  5. Diana B.

Anderson, What I have just seen is unbelievable. These people should be held accountable for taking billions while so many have sufferred. They are DESPICABLE!

December 22, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  6. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, WA)

How about you?? Anderson.....
    Did you shopping for christmas?????

December 22, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  7. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, Erica, everyone. If there are requirements to be complied with, then eventually won't the banks tell congress how they've spent the funds or where they're flowing?

Man last year there were buckets of money, how can that be?

Anderson I have shopping to do...

Erica I can't hear the webcast, even after the mic adjustment, maybe my computer

December 22, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  8. Chelsea

What is this shopping you all speak of? I'm just giving people stuff I borrowed from them earlier in the year but forgot to give back.

December 22, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  9. Beth, Troy, MI

I cannot believe we have all the unemployment, economy problems, and we are still paying these top exec bankers, celebrities, sports figures the salaries they are receiving. There is something SO wrong with priorities in this country.

December 22, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  10. jennifer

hi all. my shopping is done, had to work lots of extra hours and cut my list way down.

the way the banks are refusing to disclose what they have done with the bailout money really disgusts me. makes me want to believe there is such a thing as karma.

happy holidays to all.

December 22, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  11. Connie Takach

Let the executives of the bailout walk away. They expect accountability from their customers – why shouldn't they be accountable to their customers and us – the taxpayers. I think the banks are using the money to position themselves to own the properties that are being foreclosed on to become the largest landlords anyone has ever seen and it'll be on the backs of the taxpayers and the American dream will be lost.

December 22, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  12. Candace from Canada

Its downright disgusting that the banks have taken the money given to them and now don't think that they should have to account for it!

December 22, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  13. Aleksandr

I'm tired of listening to the media (and congress) prattling on about the excesses of private planes.

The fact of the matter is that private aviation is often far more cost and time effective that flying commercial. Was driving from Detroit to DC really a good use of the Big3 CEOs' time? Is wading through TSA "security" any better?

December 22, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  14. EJ (USA)

My computer doesn't seem to play the videos or webcasts on CNN anymore. I guess its getting too slow and I'm not upgrading anytime soon. I'm sure Erica will do a great webcast.

December 22, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  15. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

It's a shame the bailout bandits are still grabbing a piece of the pie. They should be ashamed of themselves.

December 22, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  16. dave in connecticut

hello everyone.
    really looking forward to the followup on the dogs rescued from michael vick. 'been wondering what happended with them.

December 22, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  17. YOLA

Shopping done! If only I knew 2 years ago that I had so much frugality in my bones.

December 22, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  18. Lisa L

Dear Anderson,

Yes, I have all my shopping done.

You are doing a great job keeping me informed.

Sincerely,

Lisa L
    Sydney, Australia

December 22, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  19. Lori from IL

Good evening Anderson, Erica and Fellow Bloggers.

Yes, the shopping is done! The gifts are wrapped, the cookies baked (however some need to be frosted, yet), and the candy made. A snowstorm is on it's way to the greater Chicagoland area - and the single digit temps are moving on - so it will be a white Christmas!

Yes, my family is shopping - doing our part to keep the economy moving.

December 22, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  20. Daisy, Houston

Maybe those execs need to take a hike.

December 22, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  21. Kathie

I'm shopping, but I don't have it all done. Some how I've spent more on my self. And today my car bit the dust – So I'll be car shopping the day after x-mas.

December 22, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  22. Constance Maloney

The lack of accountability for the banking money is truly atrocious, but it is no surprise. After all, this has been the problem all along.

All blame for lack of accountability for the loaned funds should be aimed at the powers that lent the money without requiring reporting and spending guidelines.

December 22, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  23. Maureen T

Money's too tight to mention but not for these executives!!

December 22, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  24. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

I've cut down this year on X-mas gifts also. Donating the money I would have spent to charities. They are such in need this year.

December 22, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  25. Peter Novi, Michigan

Beat the DRUM slowley GM..........

How many Corporate Jets do the Banks own?
    How many CEO's will get bonus's this year?
    How many Millions have been spent having meetings at Posh resorts to discuss how to spend all that FREE money! AIM 200 + 40 Million so far!

NO ONE IS WATCHING THE BACK DOOR!

December 22, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  26. susan

hi anderson.

mine is all done, although i have to admit that i didn't spend as much as last year. merry christmas to you!!

December 22, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  27. Ken in NC

Good evening Anderson and Erica and all bloggers. It is a shame that now the robbers are the banks.

December 22, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  28. Linda32

Hearing about the banks and their use of the money makes me angry. I called Citi last week about my student loans and was told that they only defer loans for 1 year for the life of the loan. My question is how is it that they are getting bailouts but do not have any workable solutions for people.

December 22, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  29. Candace from Canada

Good Evening Anderson, Erica and Bloggers!

happy Monday! 🙂

Shopping – I have effectively procrastinated and now will rush out tomorrow morning to prepare for the holidays.

What about you Anderson?

December 22, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  30. Ashley - Hamlin NY

Question: If we bailout these banks, why didn't Congress make it a stipulation that the banks needed to show the media and congress where the money was going?

Isn't this what we bailed them out for? And how ironic is it that they are BANKS? Don't they expect me to use my money responsibily when I take out a loan?

December 22, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  31. Dulcie - Denver

Hi Anderson!

I donated some money on behalf of my nephews and nothing else. Not even anything for myself. I finally got a job and that will have to be enough.

December 22, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  32. EJ (USA)

happy monday… does everyone have all their shopping done? is anyone actually shopping this year?

Yeah, I'm done. I'm a sucker for buying other people stuff although I don't have as much money this year. I almost got you something too.

December 22, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  33. Rikki, Fargo, ND

So are the banks not disclosing this because they aren't using the money in a way the the public would approve of? Are the ashamed of the way they are using the money?

December 22, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  34. Monica Chapman - Milford,CT

Good evening bloggers! Anderson, that "don't be a little, girly vice president" cracked me up!

December 22, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  35. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Hello Anderson and bloggers: Oh, looking forward to Vick's dog update. Sounds like a good ending to a very bad story.

X-mas shopping is all done and even wrapped! But, I still have cooking and baking to do....

December 22, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  36. EJ (USA)

Hi Anderson – I am so happy to see you tonight

December 22, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  37. Belinda

Hi Anderson, no shopping for adults this year, only the children.

December 22, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  38. Tracey - Boston

Good Evening.

December 22, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  39. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, WA)

Yes, Anderson
    I did shopping already.....

December 22, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  40. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good Evening Anderson, Erica and Bloggers! Happy Monday! I have all my shopping done...I've had it done for a while! I did do a little shopping though Christmas is going to be considerably less than previous years!

December 22, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  41. Ashley - Hamlin NY

Online shopping is a certain godsend. Who wants to get involved with those crowds?

December 22, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  42. Brandi - bottom of the boot

goodevening all, i never understood the term 'happy' monday, are mondays ever actually happy?

must wrap up the shopping tomorrow, one gift left. groceries are a different story...i hate cooking. lol

December 22, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  43. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Good Monday evening Anderson. My shopping is done and gift wrapped and now I'm working on the cookies. Thank the Lord for the 26th..I need the rest.

December 22, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  44. Maureen T

Good evening Anderson. I'm done shopping! I've scaled back a little bit though. How about you?

December 22, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  45. Mary

Hi, Anderson. Keep Erica's webcam mic on again tonight? We liked it.

December 22, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  46. Peter Novi, Michigan

WHO IS REALLY SUCKING THE ECONOMY DRY?

Would not putting back on a cap on Credit Card Interest go a long way in bailing out the ecionomy by making more dollars available to the consumers who drive the economy and less to the lenders who drag it down with thier unregulated lending?

The BANKS are ripping us ALL OFF!

December 22, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, WA)

Hellooo Anderson, Erica and best bloggers!
    Happy Monday and Happy Holiday to you!!!
    Hope you have great weekend........

December 22, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Vanessa, El Paso,TX

hey anderson i actually just finished my xmas shopping today can u believe that? talk about last min huh?

December 22, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  49. jacqueline ny

Good evening Anders!
    Nope! No shopping done and no shopping to be done. Yup!

December 22, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  50. anderson cooper

good evening everyone... happy monday... does everyone have all their shopping done? is anyone actually shopping this year?

December 22, 2008 at 9:54 pm |