December 19th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/19/08

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on tonight's stories.

Want to know what we're covering tonight?
LINK TO EVENING BUZZ

If you want to take part in our Live Blog (and we hope you do) please try to follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book)
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

It's floor crew Friday. (Whoo Hoo!!) Don't miss what the fun during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Janice Barrier

Correction: 18,000 marriages=36,000 people [whos legal rights will be taken away].

December 19, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  2. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Whew wee~Obama has got his work cut out for him.We are in a mess! Thanks Bush~

December 19, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  3. sara

How long it's all about love and spirit what have to be a battle?Maybe cuz the other have lost the sense of marriage ,or maybe the " majority" is just envy on the people who really respect and love each other ?!

December 19, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  4. tim

I've got a dodge charger and it's obvious why these car companies are running out of money, they make crap and pay their employees way too much...what do they expect

December 19, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  5. Mary

The big three should have their tails tucked. They certainly saw the writing on the wall. They should have been building more efficient autos that were appealing long ago. They have the talent. Step up and do what it right instead of what is easy. Trying to make a quick buck on a huge Suburban. Be responsible.

December 19, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  6. elisabeth meier

I think the decision of giving the automakers these 13,4 bn was clear, but do you think the Obama administration will cancel this decision immediately and bring a new offer to the auto industry??
    Good to see Joe Johns..

December 19, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  7. Ingrid from Northern VA

David from Indiana....be careful out there:)

December 19, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  8. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

So have the Big 3 come up with any plans in order to get this money or are they going to give it to them and just hope for the best?

December 19, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  9. CaseyJ - Palm Springs

You know the carmakers will be coming back for more in March. Chrysler really needs to go or be bought up by one of the other two. Although I doubt that would save the Chrysler worker's jobs.

December 19, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  10. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

That was pretty cool how that auto worker just popped the tail light in. Just like a tinker toy!

December 19, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  11. Christine

I love the winter and snow, that's why I stay on the East Coast. Surprises me how people who live in New York and New Jersey get hyper when it snows.

December 19, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  12. Theyler

Good Evening David Gergen,
    I am excited about the diversity and possibilities of the Obama Cabinet. Let’s hope he hit’s the ground running with by putting America back to work.

December 19, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  13. David, Indiana

Seems kind of cruel to revoke those marriages.

Ingrid, I love getting out in the snow too. Was sliding over what had fallen and frozen on the asphalt as I was going back out to the car after going to the store a couple of nights ago.

December 19, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  14. Kevin from Portland, Oregon

Pam Swope: Well said.

Just let people be. It's not impacting anyone if a same sex couple marries.

December 19, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  15. EJ (USA)

And BTW, Jeff Toobin is terrific, I always enjoy it when he’s on…

I agree.

December 19, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  16. Kristen

I can't believe someone wants to nullify existing marriage. With the divorce rate that it is in this country, let anyone who wants to proclaim their public love have a chance to do it. I think they need to separate the civil and religious regions/rites of marriage. From religious views, if you feel that marriage only constitutes a contract between a man and women, then that's fine, to each his own view, but the civil rights that come with marriage should be granted to any couple in my mind.
    Who gives us the right to say what does and does not constitute a marriage?

December 19, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  17. Tom K, Frankfort NY

Hello, David Gergen:
    I think there is a good deal of exceptional talent within the appointments. This interim period is excrutiating; we haven't had the
    emotional leadership from the White House along with the financial measures. It's the lack of consumer confidence that is missing; something that has been long unaddressed by the White House.

December 19, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  18. Dulcie - Denver

Sorry David Gergen, I'm celebrating a bit, so I'm lagging.

I can't say I'm totally overjoyed at Obama's picks, but I'm satisfied that he's sought out those he felt were best qualified for the job. I'm very willlng to suspend my criticism until I know more.

Thanks for all you do, David Gergen

December 19, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  19. Ingrid from Northern VA

Hi Gergy:), glad to see you on blog tonight too!
    I am thankful for the loan to GM and Chrysler but not in how it was handled...not fair to them with this amount and no concessions with Wall street...
    We desperately need to keep the US as an industrial nation and move swiftly in the green jobs to be the leader because Saudi Arabia is moving ahead and it will change everything finacially for us!
    One of the main issues with 3rd world countries like Sierra Leone where I have traveled is that if you aren't producing anything, people only sell to one another (rice for plantains etc) and poverty soon follows..

December 19, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  20. Joel

Good point there. And good point about a vote of the people not being able to nullify a contract between the State and a couple, especially a contract in which the "people" have no vested interest (just a prurient one!).

December 19, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  21. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Hello David Gergen! I always enjoy your comments! XO

December 19, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  22. Lori from IL

David Gergen -

In answer to your Blago question, I don't think the legislature can strip him of his powers. As I understand it, the suit brought about by Lisa Madigan to consider him "unfit/unable to serve" was turned down by the IL State Supreme Court. That was the hope of stripping him of his powers. There was chatter on the local Chicago news today that he wouldn't be making a Senate appointment to fill Obama's vacant seat. He's pretty much accepted that any appointment he would make would not be approved. There was something about the legislature making an apppointment until a special election could be held - but I really didn't understand how that could/would happen.
    Politics in Illinois in never boring!

December 19, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  23. Pam Swope

I just don't understand what business it is of others as to who is "married" to whom?? I think the world would be such a wonderful place if everyone was happy in their lives. If that means a woman marrying a woman, so be it.

December 19, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  24. Mary

How can they have it overturned. Not that I agree with it at all, but if we don't like something we should change it. How, the voters wanted something different. Those married should remain married. Who is running this rodeo?

December 19, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  25. Connie W

It is completely insane to nullify all the gay marriages that were made legal before Prop 8. Those people were so happy. They deserve this after so much hatred towards them. This is America.
    It's so mind-boggling to me how close-minded the country can be, even with the first black president winning by more than 50%!

December 19, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  26. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Mr. Gergen,

I was so excited to hear that the Big 3 Bailout is going to happen. The whole time they were deciding in the Senate I was hoping that they would have approved it. All I could think about when they denied the bailout was all those people who could lose their jobs and I really hoped that the Senate would come through for them!

December 19, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  27. CaseyJ - Palm Springs

Taking marriages away is all just pretty mean spirited, aside from the biggotry. How Christian.

December 19, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  28. Sherrol in Canada

Hello David Gergen,

I totally agree with you on every count. Let's hope that Obama's talented cabinet works well together and accomplish great things. As ususal, you are the voice of truth and reason.

That clown in Illinois needs to be brought down now and HARD!

December 19, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  29. elisabeth meier

Mr. Gergen, we women will come one day and turn things around... anything is possible.;-)
    But I still do not understand why this governor has not to quit his job. there is no political instrument like a question of trust to elect him out?

December 19, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  30. Kevin from Portland, Oregon

Casey Anthony has many of the same personality traits as Diane Downs, who shot her 3 kids here in Oregon, killing one of them. There's no doubt in my mind that Casey Anthony did it. I knew that in July.

December 19, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  31. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

David Gergen: I'm happy about the Big 3 announcement today, however, the money they are being loaned will just get them through March '09. My concern is that the Big 3 will be so micro-managed by the White House, of whom, has no clue about how to run a big global business.

December 19, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  32. Liz Harrison in Montana

And BTW, Jeff Toobin is terrific, I always enjoy it when he's on...

December 19, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  33. Maureen T

Those same-sex couples who have already been married should remain married!!

December 19, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  34. CaseyJ - Palm Springs

Congratulations 360. You're breaking a story I didn't even know about yet!

This is all just pretty mean spirited, aside from the biggotry. How Christian.

December 19, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  35. Colleen

For those of you who have said over the past few days that gay marriage isn’t a “big deal,” and “we have more important things to worry about, like the economy,” or “‘they’ have a lot of rights, so what’s the big deal”?, think about this: You and your wife/husband just had a beautiful, happy, amazing wedding last Saturday with all of your family members and friends, and then you turn on the news and see that the people of California voted to make sure your marriage has been completely nullified, considered irrelevant, called disgusting, morally wrong, and against Christianity, so it “didn’t count.” But wait, the two guys who live next door to you got married with their entire family last Saturday as well, but there’s is considered totally fine and perfectly legal and legitimate. Same vows, same day, same amount of love, possibly the same city, same amount of people there, yet different?

December 19, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  36. Michelle Brown

Ok trying to take away a right that your were given earlier must be considered torture. What horrible people whould think of taking such a stand? I am not gay but this reeks of hatred, and as a Californian, a human being and a tolerant person I will be fighting to make sure this law does not pass.

These darn truly right wing, hate filled people get on my darn nerves. We need to get out of peoples bedroom and fight for some stuff that matters, like stealing from the old, corrupt politics, poor education, hunger, homeless, and the list go ons.

December 19, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  37. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Hi David Gergen, I can't say I'm thrilled by the billions that are going out, but I can see the need to at least try to save the auto industry.

December 19, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  38. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, WA)

happy friday – hope you are all warm tonight!
    Hellooo Erica!!!!
    I am warm up in my house near heat!!!! Thanks for asking me!!

December 19, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  39. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Dulcie, I didn't say that he should have taken the bag to the police, he should have taken the police to where the bag was.

December 19, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  40. David, Indiana

Wow, that's major weather hitting the US, I just realized that while I was listening to Chad Myers.

December 19, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  41. Mary

About those being un married in CA. I think that there needs to be a reality check. Marriage – the meaning seems to be a Webster's, religious, political and personal problem. What business do I have in someone else's personal life. None! I can't see how that can be legal.

December 19, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  42. Maureen, Georgia

What kind of punishment is that, confined to a luxury mansion. Madoff should be in jail.

December 19, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  43. Barbara in Boston

By the way, pity the poor people in New Hampshire, thousands of whom still do not have power after last week's ice storm. On top of today's snow, the forecast is for another storm on Sunday - possibly with more freezing rain.

December 19, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  44. Ken in NC

WOW Anderson, let me get this straight about the future Mother-In-Law to Gov. Palin’s daughter. She has been charged with several drug charges as I read it. Now does this by association as was with the case with PE Obama / Ayres, also mean that the Governor of the state of Alaska is palling around with drug dealers? It is amazing how things that go around come around and bite you when they come around.

December 19, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  45. elisabeth meier

Minou, NY... we have it pretty warm here

December 19, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  46. Kristen

Safe travels to everyone who still has places to go this holiday season! I spent a long day traveling from the west coast yesterday and my sister is stuck in Newfoundland, hoping to get back home by tomorrow. It's a mess outside. Everyone is getting a white Christmas, whether they want it or not! Snowmen and angels all around! the best to everyone! 🙂 cheers,

December 19, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  47. Dulcie - Denver

@Jo Ann

The evidence loses credibility when removed from the scene. The meter reader guy did the right thing by calling the police. That the police didn't find anyting? May have been due to a lot of things. Flooding is a possibility.

I don't blame the meter reader guy for getting an attorney. it's ju-cst smart to protect one's own interests.

Stranger-crime is rarer than we realize

December 19, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  48. Kevin from Portland, Oregon

David Gergen!

Nice to see you on here. You are incredible.

December 19, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  49. Irene Zimmerman

Can Blagojevich be suspended with pay, as other occupations under suspicion of wrongdoing, are? i.e. teachers, police officers etc. I believe that this is what should be done until the court case is completed. Therefore, the State can be run by the Lt. Gov. and take care of the business at hand. – I notice that people are criticizing the authorities for not finding the body of Caylee sooner. I'm sure she was put in the woods in a deceased condition and finding her sooner would not find her alive. True, probably the evidence would have been better, but the circumstantial evidence, already, is quite compelling. The police people are only human and do the best that they can.

December 19, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  50. Sherrol in Canada

I'm more than warm Erica, thank you. I'm quite toasty, sitting up in bed with my laptop on my lap:) blogging on AC360. Can't ask for anything more.

December 19, 2008 at 10:31 pm |