December 19th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/19/08

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on tonight's stories.

Want to know what we're covering tonight?
LINK TO EVENING BUZZ

If you want to take part in our Live Blog (and we hope you do) please try to follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book)
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

It's floor crew Friday. (Whoo Hoo!!) Don't miss what the fun during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, WA)

My home town had snow in Seattle area and Snow is on the way here tomorrow night..... In Chicago is so bad weather out side and so horrible for people are stay at airport that is cancelled to fly somewhere!!!! But I love snow!!!!

December 19, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  2. Jeremy, Illinois

Hey Anderson,
    Just wondering what your thoughts were on the duct tape found on Caylee. It raises a question to me why there would be tape if her mother was invovled. You would think that a mother could restrain her 3 year old daughter without having to resort to tying her up with duct tape. Just wondering what your thoughts were on this.

December 19, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  3. Matt

This isn't real snow. 6 feet of snow in 24 hours is real snow. Thank lake effect for that stuff.

December 19, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  4. Debbi

Caycee will be judged for want she did, she can't run away from herself and GOD! If she gets by the law (which I don't think she will GOD won't forget what she did to Caylee! Our heart breaks for her and only stops hurting knowing she is home and safe now, no more meanness or evil from her so called mother!

December 19, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  5. David Gergen

Hello everyone - What a night ... the sad story about Caylee coming back to back with story of that jerk in Illinois.... one wonders: if Blago insists on staying in office, can the legislature strip him of formal powers and put them in the hands of the lieutenant governor?

Will look forward to hearing your views about the bailout decision today by President Bush. Leaves big powers - and big headaches - in the hands of Barack Obama. Filed a blog on AC 360 a little earlier today about his cabinet. While there are many questions, his cabinet table - in my view - will be surrounded by the most promising team in decades. 19 of 21 have graduate degrees; 12 have served in elective office. He could have appointed more women but the critics, as best I can tell, are wrong in charging that Clinton appointed more than Obama at the outset. Clinton had 3 women in his first cabinet; Obama will have 5 - plus a number of other women in key positions usually filled by men. Will welcome your views.

December 19, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  6. Lorene Wilson

Didn't the mother keep saying at the start "I'm trying to protect
    my daughter. They will kill her if they know the police are
    involved?". She kept begging her mother not to involve
    the police, that she would find her. Maybe she knew they
    ]had her (maybe from drug bills)...and sure enough they
    did kill her, and put her where they knew she would be found.
    Why would the mother put her there, where she knew would
    be found?

December 19, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  7. Emma

It's unusually warm down here in Atlanta.

December 19, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  8. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I hear that storm is headed our way here in North Dakota! Yuck!

December 19, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  9. EJ (USA)

So where are you heading off to tomorrow Anderson?

December 19, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  10. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Hey Erica and Anderson! I am warm and I have the air conditioner on. it is hot as hades here! Palm trees swaying!;-)

December 19, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  11. Mary

I love a white Christmas but this is ridiculous. Weather can certainly humble us. I am glad my shopping is done. But I am traveling on the 24th, please Santa, no flight delays.

December 19, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  12. Connie W

This Blago man is nothing to me. He is an unimportant person who did unbelievable things. He has no connection to Obama, except for the Illinois factor, and this continuous media attention is unnecessary.

With regards to the Caylee story, I am devastated for the family. I hope they find the murderer and the intent, although I'm almost positive the mother did it.

December 19, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  13. EJ (USA)

I wonder why did the meter reader have to get a Lawyer to represent him in the caylee case?

Because of the type of questions that people have already asked here on the blog. He'll have questions coming from all over. It was probably a very good idea for him to get a lawyer to represent him.

December 19, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  14. Sherrol in Canada

Palin is palling around with dryg dealers!

Not surprised that most people around her are tainted. Who I feel sorry for is the soon to be born baby.

December 19, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  15. Heidi B

its kinda been fun tho driving in the snow not knowing if you will make it or not

December 19, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  16. Rebecca from Waterbury CT

Bus over the freeway!! Talk about not the ride of a lifetime

December 19, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  17. ericacnn

happy friday – hope you are all warm tonight!

December 19, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  18. MaryBeth

Jo Ann: I've been wondering the same thing. Why didn't the meter reader just take the bag to the police?

December 19, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  19. Barbara in Boston

Are you talking about the weather tonight? I'm in Boston, finishing up the evening shift at a hospital, where it's been snowing up to 4" an hour and gusting up to 30 mph. Ah, yes, I love New England!

December 19, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  20. Maureen T

The storm hit everywhere! I'm in a city just outside of Toronto, Canada and it has been snowing all day! Delays everywhere! I guess we will have a white Christmas!

December 19, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  21. Minou, New York City

Oh lord, I'm flying to Europe tomorrow night. hope I won't get stuck here...

December 19, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  22. Carole Chaffin

Question to please ask your panel: Caylee & her mother lived at home with the grandparents. If they all lived together, how come the grandparents weren't aware immediately that Caylee was missing?

December 19, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  23. Rikki, Fargo, ND

He probably didn't open the bag or bring it to the police because he didn't want to be implicated on the matter. And didn't want to destroy any evidence that might be there.

December 19, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  24. Liz Harrison in Montana

Anderson, you're just the best; from interviews to news, to specials, you're just the best. Merry Christmas to you from frigid Montana!

Keep up the great work!

December 19, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  25. Kendall

it would make the government of one of the most liberal states (California) look utterly rediculous if all of the gay marrages were cancelled because be right was just removed!

December 19, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  26. Don

On Rod Blagoyavich (sp),

I am not a supporter of the Governor but it does seem unfair to uncork citeless quotes in a complaint to railroad anyone without at least a hearing of some sort. In the meantime, we have a little time to play the accused advocate. For example, the quote you read would sound a lot different if it was preceded by "Then he said...", or "You know Patty, I was telling myself I've got this thing...".

The complaint and ensuing reaction in the media is a true omen to us all of the degrading standard of evidence required to effectively ruin someone's career. It is equally likely that he is guilty of not taking the "correct" bribe. And when the mayor of Chicago says he should "do the right thing, and think of his family", based on paper transcripts without corroboration that netted a whopping $5K in bail, in THIS state? Please. When the Chicago inspector general found fraud in the city, his position was eliminated. Noone cared. Is that not a bribe in revere? There's no such thing as a showstopper in this town, trust me.

Alex Volok argued that it is better to let ten criminals go free than to convict the wrong person. The least we owe him is a fair trial.

December 19, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  27. mike

Caseys inevitable murder conviction will indeed be a culmination of circumstantial evidence and scientific evidence. She needs more than a dreamteam of legal players and expert witnesses. She has blown her own case on her own cold behavior or indifference towards the childs welfare from the start to right present time and I don't predict a change. She is psychologically incapable of loving anyone over her own self. Her own narcissism along with her own elaborate lies will entangle her in the end result. Poetic justice in the end.

December 19, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  28. elisabeth meier

just because someone decided to change a law doesnt make former decisions which based on the former law illegal. so I always wonder why you bring this question again and again.

December 19, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  29. Ingrid from Northern VA

I am hoping for everyone's safety with the bad weather but have to say I was bummed that we only got lots of rain all day and no snow:(
    I LOVE to play in the snow like a little kid,as well as my yellow lab!!

December 19, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  30. Sherrol in Canada

Yeah, awful weather. My daughter and two of her girlfriends were driving to Buffalo (we're in Toronto) tomorrow to shop for X"Mas, no way are they going now. I'd be on pins and needles till they returned.

December 19, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  31. David, Indiana

All the legal and investigative wrangling, but what has happened is heartbreaking.

December 19, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  32. Belinda

The Prop 8 people are just wrong. How does someone being happy impact them? Not only have they taken rights away from people (for the moment) but now they want to try to revoke people's marriages??? Seems like they are not happy in their own lives and live to cause misery.

December 19, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  33. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

I don't understand why people who love each other can't get married. That will change and I hope it is in my lifetime.

December 19, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  34. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, WA)

Elisabeth M,
    Casey Anthony was under suspect and right now in jail in Florida……

December 19, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  35. Karen

Does any state have a first-degree murder penalty for death by child abuse? Not in my state. Maybe second degree by manslaughter. Child murder by child abuse can be nothing less than first-degree murder. Another babe dead, all we seem to do is talk, but not demand changes in laws. Lets direct our outrage and sorrow to harsher penalties for such deliberate acts.

December 19, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  36. Chip Mitchell

Tell me please why Sarah Palin's daughter's mother-in-laws drug charge is national news. Would any other national political figure's child's in-law's drug charge get attention? Of course not.

December 19, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  37. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

If this utility guy saw the bag why didn't he take the cops to it instead of telling them to go look for it? Did he bother telling the media when he saw it in August?

December 19, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  38. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Good grief. So many people don't deserve the miracle of a child. 🙁

December 19, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  39. Barbara in Culver City, CA

How can they nullify any lawful marriage? That sounds nuts to me, and so incredibly mean.

December 19, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  40. Heidi B

I think the couples that got married should be able to stay married

December 19, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  41. Dan - California

I'm new to this blog. Is Anderson's usual contribution to say "Hello?"

December 19, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  42. Paul

I think Cassie Anthony knows excatly what happened to her daughter, and she needs to start telling the authorities all about it.

December 19, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  43. Pam Swope

Each time I hear about Caylee, I am sickened. My own daughter is just one day younger (to the year) than Caylee, and that is what really drew me to this case. There are days that she is trying, but even on her worst day, I have never thought of killing her. I could never imagine life without her, and I don't know how a mother could take the life of their own child – especially one so young.

December 19, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  44. Jay

Hello Rekha Raman,
    Fighting for your rights is NOT delusion.
    Governor Rod Blagojevich id doing the right thing. We must admisre his courage.

December 19, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  45. Carmen

This story is so sad. There are so many people out there who can't have children and would have given little Caylee a nice home. I can't believe this is how her life ended.

December 19, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  46. Mary

Didn't they look everywhere for this child. Is there some action being sought against the police. What a shame!!!

December 19, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  47. Maureen T

They have no right to nullify the same-sex marriages!!

December 19, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  48. Jill Kaufman

Some closure coming to two families this week – the Walshs' and the Anthonys'. Both are horrific tragedies and the truth will come out about little Caylee. After all of the wonderful things that John Walsh has done for others, his work has not been in vain. My thoughts and prayers are with both families.

December 19, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  49. Ken in NC

Now Anderson, let me get this straight about the future Mother-In-Law to Gov. Palin’s daughter. She has been charged with several drug charges as I read it. Now does this by association as was with the case with PE Obama / Ayres, also mean that the Governor of the state of Alaska is palling around with drug dealers? It is amazing how things that go around come around and bite you when they come around.

December 19, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  50. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Here we go again. Another case where the police made mistakes. This is just sad. I can only hope that that beautiful little girl gets some justice.

December 19, 2008 at 10:23 pm |