December 19th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/19/08

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on tonight's stories.

Want to know what we're covering tonight?
LINK TO EVENING BUZZ

If you want to take part in our Live Blog (and we hope you do) please try to follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book)
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

It's floor crew Friday. (Whoo Hoo!!) Don't miss what the fun during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Linda Lou

As a previous resident of Alaska, Wasilla specifically, you all must understand drug use and sales are rampant. If you research your statistics you will find Alaska to be #1 in alcohol/drug abuse, #1 in child abuse/neglect, #1domestic violence; and those facts are the main reasons I left. I left in 2001 – went back in 2006 walked into a bar/restaurant famous for their pizza to order one to take home and I was shocked that the very same people, were sitting in the very same seats at the bar they were sitting in when I left in 2001, talk about dejavu' – needless to say I left once more and do not any plans to return any time soon. This story of Sarah Palin's daugher's to be mother-in- law is not in the least bit surprising and is pretty much par for the course in Alaska.

December 19, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  2. Lonnie in Iowa

That no one supports Blago is a generalization. How come when Blago was "corrupt" they left him alone, but the day after he gives strong support to the workers of Republic Windows, and dists Bank of America, he is immediately arrested? And how come this possible connection is never made in the news?

December 19, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  3. Kevin from Portland, Oregon

Anderson!!!

Your intro was hilarious!

“Call the men in black to zap the memory of that hairdo out of your head”

THAT cracked me up. I literally laughed out loud, Anderson. Too funny.

I love your sense of humor.

December 19, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  4. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The presence of duct tape obviously rules out accidental death at the hands of Casey or anyone else.

December 19, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  5. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson.

Jolene, does seem like the weather was a mess out west and in the upper midwest.

December 19, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  6. Joanne, Solvay, NY

The mother did want to give her child up for adoption. She knew she was not capable of parenting. The vaciliating, publicity seeking and insistent grandparents should also bare the responsiblity for this horrible, high-profile tragedy.

December 19, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  7. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, WA)

EJ (USA),
    Me too!!! I am so happy see Anderson said Good evening to us on the blog!!!!

Elisabeth M,
    Casey Anthony was under suspect and right now in jail in Florida......

December 19, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  8. elisabeth meier

so sad for the grandparents, but somehow good to know it finally.

December 19, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  9. ElizabethMathew,Ga

Good Evening Mr.Anderson

December 19, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  10. EJ (USA)

I haven’t really been following the Caylee story. What motive do they say the mother might have had for killing her baby girl?

That she never wanted to have Caylee and that she cramped her party/wild lifestyle.

December 19, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  11. Jay

I watched Blago’s news conference.
    I admire his courage and fight for the common people.
    he is a good Governor. he did NOTHING.
    He might thought to do what other politicians do and did.
    this is not a crime.

December 19, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  12. Jill Kaufman

And by the way, good evening Anderson and my other fellow bloggers!

December 19, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  13. Maureen, Georgia

I wonder why the meter reader didn't look in the bag since the police was.nt listening to him about what he saw? I can't even imagine the agony poor Caylee went through.

December 19, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  14. Anita Wills

It is so sad to hear that the remains are Caylee, after all of these months. What must this child have endured at the hands of the person that took her life? Now the circus begins, with the legal system. I want to be angry at the mother, but I believe she is deeply disturbed. Is it possible that the mother is using money to pay her attorneys, from funds sent to search for Caylee? Is it legal for her to do that?

My prayers are with the Anthony family, during their time of bereavement.

December 19, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  15. Augustus Cadette

Gov. Blagojevich quotes "Roger" Kipling? I thought that the poem he quoted from, "If", was by "Rudyard" Kipling!

December 19, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  16. LisaL - Canada

when i first heard of the Caylee case, i'd really hoped she was still alive. i really hoped that if she was alive, that she wasn't part of some weird, sick child abduction scheme.

this is so sad. so sad.

December 19, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  17. Nancy Ranalletta

If I were the innocent mother of a murdered toddler,I can't help thinking that I would use the thousands of dollars being spent on my defense to find the animal who did this horrific deed.

December 19, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  18. Anne

Hi Copper, hope you had a wonderful day.I can't believe a normal person would kill such a beautiful angel.It seems some people have tune to be animals. Wow may lord have mercy on us.Any way bless her soul.

December 19, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  19. Jill Kaufman

As I was saying on my other entry, Blagojevich is the most crooked politician to come from Illinois. George Ryan was meek compared to him. As an Illinois native, I know that he's been up to no good for years as well as many Illinoisians do, so this couldn't be happening to a "nicer" guy – I say let him ROT the rest of his days in prison!

December 19, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  20. Mary

This is certainly turning out to be a interesting holiday. We have had ice and mess since Wednesday. Now we have more of a mess in DEE troit. I hope that they watch this pocket full of change more closely than the first bundle.

December 19, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  21. Heidi B

how sad for the granparents

December 19, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  22. Kevin in Portland, Oregon

"Call the men in black to zap the memory of that hairdo out of your head"

THAT cracked me up. I literally laughed out loud, Anderson. Too funny.

YOU crack me up.

December 19, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  23. Barbara in Culver City, CA

I haven't really been following the Caylee story. What motive do they say the mother might have had for killing her baby girl?

December 19, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  24. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, WA)

I’m so excited that Anderson said good evening to everyone on the blog tonight.

EJ (USA),
    Me too!!! I am so happy see Anderson said Good evening to us on the blog!!!! He is best anchor in the world!!!

December 19, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  25. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Well, someone has some explaining to do if the meter reader reported seeing something back in August.

December 19, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  26. Sherrol in Canada

the Big 2 had better come up with some kind of plan. They're now on borrowed time, bought with borrowed money. The sad thing is that I'm sure they'll be coming back in 3 months or less for more.

December 19, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  27. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I'd like to hear what the grandparents have to say about this now.

December 19, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  28. Michelle Brown

Casey is guilty, guilty,guilty. of murder, and of child endangerment. I mean she did not report her "daughter" missing for a month. What kind of mom whould do that?

I am glad we finally have proof of her death, now the family can stop pretending like they believe she is alive, and we can get on with closing this case.

I must say, I feel sorry for the family – it most be horrible to loose a grandchild, and find out your own daughter is a horrible monster.

December 19, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  29. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Some of you may be having a white Christmas but it is hot as hell here in Texas

December 19, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  30. mike

This dna confirmation that the remains are indeed Caylee's is no real shock to anyone. We knew it in our gut since the remains were discovered last week. Casey even said that her gut instinct was that Caylee was indeed close to home. She finally told the truth about something! May innocent baby Caylee rest in peace forever!

December 19, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  31. Francine

What makes a mother do this? It's incredible. There are so many questions–how can the mother lie with such a straight face? We'll have to wait for all the evidence, but my prayers are with the family.

December 19, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  32. matt

In his defiant statement today, if you just give Blagojevich a thin stick to slap the podium with........he is an exact double for "Art Fern", the car salesman that Johnny Carson made famous on The Tonight Show years ago. Absolutely comical to watch.

December 19, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  33. Maureen T

I truly hope that Casey Anthony finally tells the authorities what happened!!

December 19, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  34. Heather Thomson, vancouver,canada

I never laughed so hard in my life when I watched Blago's news conference. I nearly fell off my chair. They do not even need a skit for Saturday Nifgt Live just show the clip as it is. Hysterical!!!

December 19, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  35. Rekha Raman

Hi Anderson,

Why doesn't "Blago" want to step down. I think he's highly delusional, needs to re-examine things from a practical point of view, at this stage of a career, and just accept things as they are, step down wisely, and seek some seriously help, at least for his daughter's sake.
    God help him. But seeking the help of lawyers- "a case for Blago"- more embroiling news to keep the networks busy without getting anywhere?? and as always looting more taxpayer dollars!

Rekha

December 19, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  36. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! Happy Friday.
    I suppose it's good that the Illinois Governor has finally spoken out–even if only to say he thinks he has done nothing wrong.
    The Caylee Anthony case is such a sad way to end the week–though it seemed the likely outcome.

December 19, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  37. David, Indiana

Ingrid from Northern VA, I agree about innocent until proven guilty.

December 19, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  38. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Poor little Caylee. That is just sick.

December 19, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  39. Karen Clay

What with Dem Rod Blagojevich and Rep Sarah Palin one pauses to wonder what the political parties will look like in 20 years! Thank goodness, I'll have reached 80 and probably be gone.....

December 19, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  40. John Williams

I am wondering if the Grandmother could possibly be arrested for accessory to murder after the fact. Just speaking as a father, if I "smelled death" in my daughter's trunk and then called the police, I would never change my story. It makes me appreciate the kind of mother my own daughter actually is. So what about this Grandmother who I suspect is lying?

December 19, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  41. Rebecca from Waterbury CT

Her reaction, can someone who is as cold-hearted as herself show any real emotion. She knew where her daughter was, she knows the truth and someday it will come out. There needs to be Justice for Caylee.

December 19, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  42. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Erica, good report on Caylee. What that poor little girl went through. It breaks your heart.
    Floor Crew Friday? Candy chit chat and Wii..Yep, it's Friday.

December 19, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  43. Renee

Why didn't the meter reader just open the bag? Seems strange.

December 19, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  44. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, WA)

I agree with you.....MaryBeth, Gary Tuchman is so right! I'm not supporting Blago right now...... Yikes!

December 19, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  45. Belinda

it blows my mind that this man, Kronk, called the police all the way August. And why didn't they find anything during the organized search especially if Kronk reported seeing something. Something doesn't sound right.

December 19, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  46. Mary

That poor baby. Is there really any justice here? If the mother killed her child I don't know what type of punishment can be given that would some how punish that type of crime. Poor baby.

December 19, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  47. Lori from IL

Anderson, Erica and All -

When I heard Blago was going to give a press conference today - I pretty much knew what he was going to say (with the exception of the poetry quote.) Gary is right, there is no support for our Gov. Blago and hasn't been for quite some time. Unfortunately, for residents of IL, I don't think this is going to end any time soon. However, for most of us, I think the weather/snowstorm was the bigger story today. No doubt about it this year - the greater Chicagoland area will have a white Christmas this year.

December 19, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  48. Mary Mahoney

Please stop giving this guy the publicity he so craves...you're just feeding his ego. He has made all of us who live in IL appear stupid, and we're not...

December 19, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  49. elisabeth meier

is she still in prison or not?

December 19, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  50. Sherrol in Canada

I wonder if the meter reader has anything to do with Caylee's murder. He had tipped off the cops 3 times in August to search the site where he discovered the remains of her head (I feel really dreadful using this term).

December 19, 2008 at 10:15 pm |