December 19th, 2008

Did SNL go too far with Paterson sketch?

The Barbershop
Tell Me More, NPR

It's another Friday in the Barbershop with Jimi Izrael, Nick Charles, Arsalan Iftikhar and Ruben Navarrette. Up for discussion this week: a closer look at President Bush's close call with a pair of flying shoes and a recent comedy sketch on NBC's "Saturday Night Live" that failed to hit New York Governor David Paterson's funny bone.  LISTEN HERE

And see what AC had to say on the subject earlier this week.

So did they go too far?

Filed under: Barack Obama • Black in America
  1. Abby

SNL went way too far. One should never poke fun of someone's disability. It was immature and cruel, and I think Paterson responded with so much class and dignity. SNL should issue an official apology if they have not already to both him and the Disabled community. I have a sister with a disability and am very offended as she and myself have suffered numerous occassions of people's ignorance and cruelty. SNL contributes to that.

December 19, 2008 at 6:20 pm |
  2. Maggie

I say we should make fun of everyone equally! Suck it up, Paterson – being made fun of by SNL means you are an equally worthy target as everyone else they make fun of, from heads of state on down.

And for background, my husband is disabled, and I care deeply about rights and equality for all people – and I make fun of my husband regularly! He wouldn't have it any other way.

December 19, 2008 at 6:03 pm |
  3. Wayne from Fullerton, CA

I have a disability and the last thing I want is to be treated "special." Imatation is the sincerest form of flatery. Get over it. It was funny. And I got to say SNL needs a lot more "funny" on the show. I was more offended by the other crap they pass off as humor. It's an isult to my intelligence.

December 19, 2008 at 6:03 pm |
  4. don

Lets see if I got this right. Bill Clinton got 25 million from a non profit in England for his library. Nobody questions a non profit giving 25 million. Why in the hell should I give anything to a non profit. This is the biggest scam.

December 19, 2008 at 5:48 pm |
  5. Cindy

You have to take everything that SNL does with a grain of salt because they always look at what is popular at the moment to satirize. But I do think that making fun of anyone with disabilities is wrong and that they should have known better and not have gone there.

Cindy...Ga.

December 19, 2008 at 5:33 pm |
  6. Nate, NM

The sketch did seem funny when i saw it the first time, but when Patterson told a reporter the majority of disabled people are unemployed, I understood how the sketch was offensive.

December 19, 2008 at 5:25 pm |