December 18th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/18/08

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program.  Just scroll down and share your thoughts on tonight's stories.

Want to know what we're covering tonight?
LINK TO EVENING BUZZ

If you want to take part in our Live Blog (and we hope you do) please follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book)
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials.  LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio.  LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Fernando

I'm a progressive and I am extremely disappointed for all the intolerance and name calling that the progressives are conveying. It doesn't do our cause any good to not respect others for their viewpoints yet we want them to accept ours. respect is a two way street.

December 18, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  2. David Gergen

Hello everyone - you have already heard once from me about Rick Warren, so I won't add much here. But I do want to say how much I resonate with the comments by many of you tonight that on Inauguration Day, Barack Obama becomes President of all the American people - not one group or another. And in a country that has been as deeply divided - and paralyzed - as ours, I believe that it is important for him to try some new ways to bring us together. Having Rick Warren make one prayer at the beginning and Joseph Lowery (a significant leader in civil rights, a strong supporter of gay and lesbian rights) seems to me to be an honest, constructive attempt by Barack Obama to begin a process of reconciliation.

I say this as someone who has known and respected Rick Warren for several years for his pastoral efforts and for his efforts to grapple with poverty, HIV/AIDs, and global warming, while also disagreeing sharply with him over gay and lesbian rights as well as abortion. To me, what is welcome about Rick Warren is that despite the views with which I disagree, he is trying hard to build bridges on which we can work together - just as Barack Obama is.

Thanks for listening tonight - and for speaking up here.

December 18, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  3. Ashley G - Hamlin, NY

...Wait a minute....

Does anybody else think that it's a little messed up that a man who committed genocide of 800,000 PEOPLE fourteen years ago was finally held accountable and WE are all talking about an invocation we can't change, some guy who is getting married again, and who should be the next two-year Senator of NY?

I find this disturbing.

December 18, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  4. jaelle

A referee is going to take criticism from both sides. Obama knows this, and like a true leader, is not swayed by the emotional outbursts from the sidelines.

December 18, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  5. John Bergquist Newtown, CT

I don't have a problem with Obama selecting a pastor who does not support gay marriage. He said he wants to be the President for all the people. What is problematic is Warren's comments about gay marriage as he compares it to incest and pedophelia. This clearly is an ignorant individual and his hard-line views should disqualify him from such an important and historic ceremony

December 18, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  6. Maureen T

Wedding gift for the Petersons? How about advising Peterson's fiance to run and don't look back, while she has the chance?!

December 18, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  7. G. Nelson

If this pastor had compared black men to incest, child brides, etc. there would be outrage! Whats the difference? Gays and lesbians aren't egual? Seems not. New president – new party – SOS.

December 18, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  8. Cortez

Well I put it this way Obama pandering to those on the right in 4 years they still will not vote for him, so then who he comes running back to us on the left . The lesbian and gay community

December 18, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  9. Sherrol in Canada

People are not buying cars Anderson because they are unable to get loans from the banks. Congress is NOT doing enough to 'order' the financial institutions that were bailed out to start lending.

An atrociuos comedy of errors.

December 18, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  10. Jacqui Chan

I thought it was funny when this morning Don Lemon was filling in on the anchor desk and they aired footage of our articulate president elect speaking then Bush and the clip of Bush ended with him saying "uh-what was the question"
    have ne of you bloggers noticed ever since Obama was elected it seems like Bush is speaking to the American public way more that he did before, not sure what this means but I have definitely noticed.

December 18, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  11. Heather - Spokane, WA

They still havent done anything about Dew Petersen? Something is wrong with that

December 18, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  12. Maggie

I'm glad it's probably going to be Bush agreeing to the auto bailout instead of Obama. Otherwise people would be calling socialism.

December 18, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  13. EJ (USA)

Many of the people who support gay rights today USED TO think exactly like Rick Warren.

Think of the progress that has been made in gay rights the last couple of decades. How do you think it has gotten to this point?

December 18, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  14. David, Indiana

Anderson, those images from Rwanda were horrifying. I've seen reports on that Rwandan leader being convicted but I don't know if I understand that as well as I should. I hope though that it brings justice and that it helps to bring healing to people in Rwanda, but I imagine that it is more involved than that.

December 18, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  15. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, WA)

Oh boy! The White House are on the way to help 3 automakers bailout right away.... But I am against bailout...... I feel their painful to lose their money.

December 18, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  16. Jeremy -Quincy IL

It seems as if the real problem behind all these economic problems is the consumer credit market. Perhaps a bailout of the American people would be more effective than an auto bailout.

December 18, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  17. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

After the bailout, will the banks then lend credit to the car buyers? I don't understand how that works? Oh well

December 18, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  18. Russell Saylor

I am personally offended by Obama's choice of Rick Warren as invocation speaker. Considering that Mr. Warren has equated the gay community with pedophilia, polygamy, and beastiality, "yes we can" now seems a bit more like "thought we could."

December 18, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  19. ericacnn

hi, everyone.
    carolyn, drew peterson cannot marry while still married to stacy. as for why/how this engagement story ended up in the news, stay tuned – you'll want to hear what his attorney and publicist told me this afternoon.

December 18, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  20. Kevin C

Oh come on, Anderson. Just because Bush is kicking back doesn't mean he's not going to take action. As someone who constantly deals with problems at my job, freaking out is not the answer.

December 18, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  21. Ace Fox

Anderson,
    I am a straight black american and I am very tired of you and all of your media pals as well as the gay and lesbians equating the gay/lesbian experience to the black experience and civil rights. STOP !!!
    There is no comparison. Gays/lesbians were not enslaved to build a nation, can go through their entire life without being discriminated against if they choose, were not ripped from their families for being gay/lesbian.
    A black man can never take a break from being black, cannot go through life hiding the fact that he/she is black.
    There is no comparison.

Ace

December 18, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  22. David-Massachusetts

Here is an interesting thought, Rick Warren speaks out against Gays and we consider giving him a pass because of his great works of charity. However we crucify Jeremiah Wright and he has been performing good works for the less fortunate a lot longer than Warren. Sounds like a little Racism to me. Double Standards.

December 18, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  23. Nellie

As an auto worker I find it appauling how the congressmen, senators, and the media make us to be the down fall of the country with our 50,000 dollar a year pay. I want to guess they all make six figures, so they should be cut to what they want to cut the auto worker. Oh, also, thake their healthcare and retirement.

December 18, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  24. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, WA)

December 18, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  25. Sherrol in Canada

I've always maintained that bankruptcy, 'orderly' or otherwise is the way to go with the big 3.

December 18, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  26. maggie g

It appears that the President is procrastination.. Does he plan to help?He is the president ...Just do it

December 18, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  27. Matt

Question: if you're making a product that no one wants, why should you expect help when it won't sell? That's how I see the auto bailout problem – nobody wants American cars, so they aren't selling. Why would we throw money at something that won't work out?

Darwinism works, and capitalism is the right way here.

December 18, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  28. RF

It seems that Mr. Obama is more concerned about shaping his legacy than actually advocating for the basic rights of all Americans. Under the guise of a progressive leader who would fight against all forms of discrimination, Mr. Obama won the support of millions of Americans. But it is now clear to me that he is one of the most calculating politicians Washington has ever seen. Mr. Obama can build a team or rivals if he pleases—but he can't complain when his fans start to empty the bleachers.

RF,
    Massachusetts

December 18, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  29. Jim M

The running to the trough by the mayors is simply reflective of the original $700 Bil bail-out program that doled-out taxpayer monies without the development of guidelines and review procedures. In the 1970's the Fed government's rush to get monies out for stimuls projects resulted in outrageous project proposals. From my experience as a municipal and county planning official.

December 18, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  30. Dave

When a candidate builds his personal brand around reaching out to others who don't share his perspective and promising to bring change, can we reasonably express shock when he follows through on this pledge.

David Gergen was absolutely right in characterizing the nation as divided. This is not the time to run to the respective corners and hurl insults. It is uncomfortable to do, but only through having these difficult conversations will the nation meaningfully address these divisions.

Dave (from Toronto)

December 18, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  31. AlanB

Everyone has choice in their behavior. I don't have a choice in my orientation. Your church has no right to keep me down, bro.

December 18, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  32. Wegene

What I really don't understand is that Americans want "Unity" but simultaneously, they want to head into two different, opposing directions. How can you want one thing, when you are not doing all you can to reach that one thing? I think Obama is doing want Americans really want by inviting controversial Pastor Warren on his historic swearing in day.

December 18, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  33. Don, WA

Obama's first step to bringing everyone together – nice try for the good fight – there's just no easy road with so many different opinions – I'm glad Obama does'nt seem the type to just throw his hands up though.

December 18, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  34. Richard Wells - Illinois, Corruption Central

ED
    By most people's standards, gays are not a minority group. Minorities are defined by race, or ethnicity and not one's sexual orientation. Also, because people in this country to not wish to see the traditional definition of marriage redefined, it does not make them hurtful.

December 18, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  35. Annette in NJ

Wow! Thank you for showing that Channel One clip. It must be somewhat satisfying to see some justice today, albeit a very small bit of justice in comparison to the atrocities.

December 18, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  36. Mindy Chatsworth, Ca.

I support Caroline Kennedy's quest for the appointment to Hillary Clinton's senate seat. I hope that she will be judged on her merits and not just her name.

Caroline Kennedy is not campaigning on the memory of her father and uncle. She is pursuing this on her own. I think she deserves a chance to make her case.

December 18, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  37. Cherisa

It's about time for justice in Rwanda. Thanks, Anderson, for mentioning today's news.

December 18, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  38. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Pat Maguire
    Asking Rick Warren to perform the Invocation has the same impact for gay people as inviting a preacher from Arian Nation would have for blacks. A bigot is a bigot is a bigot.

I'm sorry but to compare rick warren to a preacher from Arian Nation is just crazy. Rick Warren did not say that Gay and lesbians are genetically inferior to another race. Arians want to kill off all African Americans as well as other minorities. They want the world to only consist of whites. Rick Warren didn't say that he wanted the world to consist of only straight people, he just has a different view on marriage. This warren thing is going way too far.

December 18, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  39. Rev. Adam C. Bowling (Morganton, NC)

I wish CNN would stop using the word “evangelical” as a synonym for “conservative.” As an evangelical liberal, I find it offensive that you continue to misuse the word evangelical in this way. The word evangelical simply comes from the Greek word for “Gospel” or “good news” and has nothing to do with ones views on social issues.

December 18, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  40. Micci -Indiana

Wow! What a difference a month makes! Who would have thought you would hear the "religious right" defending Obama? LOL!!

December 18, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  41. Frances

God help Obama. With all the serious problems he's going to have to deal with this seems miniscule ( I mean the
    rick warren thing) .I think he's is dealing with a bunch of children!

December 18, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  42. Mike, Syracuse NY

Dennis St. John, don't you know that every session of Congress is opened by a prayer too? Seperation of church and state means there is no state religion, not no religion.

December 18, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  43. Kathy, Chicago

Ew, creepy! Why would you ever marry a man thought to have killed his last two wives? She is also young evough to be his daughter-yuck.

December 18, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  44. Kevin - Siren WI

Obama believes in change but from all sides. Its great that he is inviting Warren to speak, it shows he is not going to shut out groups that have the same freedoms as everyone.

December 18, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  45. Bob

For those of you who think it's no big deal, you are proving that you just don't get it. What it's like to be dehumanized on a daily basis and to think someone understands your pain and they basically spit on you and say you don't matter. That's what happened to us AGAIN today. The Clinton's did it and now Obama has done it.

December 18, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  46. Osen

I know I am not exactly on the issue, but I am tired of everyone comparing being gay to being black. Based on your religious perspective you can always find a debate on whether a person was born gay or decided to be gay. Therefore, it should not be compared to being black, because the last I checked people was born black.! So please tell your viewers to stop defending the black community with comparing being gay to black!!

December 18, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  47. Ken in NC

That woman that wants to be wife #5 to Drew Peterson is asking for it or maybe she knows something that Drew doesn't know.....YET.

December 18, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  48. Candace from Canada

How is it that Drew Petersen can find a wife #5!?

Unbelievable!!

December 18, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  49. MaryBeth

Any woman has to be crazy to date Drew Peterson, nevermind to marry the man. Signing the marriage license would be like signing your death certificate. How can he get married if he's still married to his missing wife?

December 18, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  50. Mike

@ Ashley G.
    I do agree with you, but in order for America to come together we ALL have to come toegether, I'm just saying that David G. was right on with his comments.

December 18, 2008 at 10:35 pm |