December 18th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/18/08

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program.  Just scroll down and share your thoughts on tonight's stories.

Want to know what we're covering tonight?
LINK TO EVENING BUZZ

If you want to take part in our Live Blog (and we hope you do) please follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book)
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials.  LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio.  LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Rhonda Shouse

I am a registered Democrat who attended the 2nd Inaguration of President Bush because I happen to be in D.C. and could get tickets. It was a once in a life time event. Republicans actually horribly! I was disgusted when the crowd booed as President Clinton was introduced. They acted just like they accuse Democrats of behaving. Now we have Democrats acting like they're better than Republicans. I am so tired of all this. I want our country back! The one Obama talked about..."One UNITED States of America!"

December 18, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  2. Stephanie

Nobody seems to want to realize that religious freedom is the freedom to practice your religion, not the freedom to use religion as a basis for legislation. Religion has no place in the argument for equal marriage rights. How about we make both sides happy, all couples(yes heterosexuals too), could have Civil Unions in the eyes of the state, and people can have a "marriage" ceremony at their place of worship. If the word is so important, let them have it.

December 18, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  3. Amanda - Leesburg, Florida

As a bisexual female, I'd be totally fine with him just not agreeing with same-sex marriage. However, he's caught on tape saying that, to him, same sex marriage is in the same boat as incest, and pedophilia. Yes, people can have their own opinion but the guy is so ignorant. This doesn't mean that I'll boycott the inauguration though. It's just sad that Obama had to pick such an ignorant guy, like that Rev. I refuse to be so upset by this. Like I said before, I see why people in the GLBT community are though.

December 18, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  4. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, Better late than never. I am always amazed at how young you were covering these gruesome reports.

December 18, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  5. Karin Watson

Re.: Rick Warren

I agree with Hillary Rosen. I am not opposed to bringing evangelicals into a big tent, communicating, finding common ground, etc., but the inauguration is the wrong moment and sends the wrong message to the country and the world. Rick Warren has spoken out against gays and lesbians as well as atheists (they are not fit for elected office in this country, according to Warren). Obama should not include someone in his inaugurational ceremony who himself is not inclusive or tolerant of other people.

December 18, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  6. Maureen T

Oh my goodness Anderson, that looks like another person in 1994, like a younger brother or something...

December 18, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  7. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, WA)

Caroline Kennedy will be good senator fill-in for Hillary Clinton..... I hope she will manage her own.....and people will help her take job position as senator.....

December 18, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  8. Cubanmom

Is not about Rick Warren, he is a pastor who is following the word of God. In the bible it talks about homosexuality and other sins as well. And Yes it is a sin, that's what the word of God says. people need to understand that Christians don't go around hating homosexuals, but we will always condemn the act of homesxuality, like any other sin. Christians are not alone the Muslin and Jewish faith also share the same belief on homosexuality

December 18, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  9. Ashley G - Hamlin, NY

It is so good that those poor people received justice today, however long it took.

December 18, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  10. Brandi - bottom of the boot

k, i do believe that was andersons 'flock of seagulls' hairdo! lol

story was horrific though. no laughs there.

December 18, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  11. Elizabeth

So PE Obama can only associate with people who the gay/lesbian community find acceptable?

December 18, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  12. EJ (USA)

Oh my gosh, look at Anderson in that video!

Anderson – you were ok back then but you look sooo much better today. You look awesome.

December 18, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  13. Tray

They shouldhave sentenced him to death. It's ridiculous that it took 6 years to convict him....Awwww Anderson you look so young.

December 18, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  14. chrissy

You don't Have to agree on every liberal issue to be a liberal,
    obviously.......I want everyone to know that.
    I'm a democrat and I think gay marriage is wrong. It may be a 'human
    rights issue' but that makes it no less immoral.

December 18, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  15. Kate

Just think, if the LGBT community had made their voices heard during the election like they are now, Prop 8 would have never got off the ground.

December 18, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  16. Ryan

Maybe all of you on the Extreme left wil finally realize that Obama is more Moderate and wants to represent the entire country! Good Pick Obama!

December 18, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  17. Leslie

I liked David Gergen's points. I do think one of the reasons this has become such a lightning rod is that progressives (me included) have nothing but symbolism to cling to at this point. We don't have Obama in office yet, we have Bush making all these awful rules in his orders, we have no control over the economy. There has been 8 years of seeing our country and the rule of law damaged by someone who was elected in large part because of his socially conservative views and support from evangelicals. The one thing we feel could be controlled is the symbolism as the administration we eagerly anticipates gets launched.

That being said, progressives need to remember that this is just a symbolic issue. When "don't ask don't tell" gets rescinded, and progress is made on real issues important to gays and lesbians and women's reproductive freedom under Obama's leadership, battles like this over symbols won't seem so critical and emotionally intense.

December 18, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  18. Sarah H

Rick Warren's book the Purpose Driven Life is an amazing, life changing book. I read it over 2 years ago and I have never been the same. I have a purpose. God truly is using this man for a great things. And I am thrilled that he will be praying publicly for our country.

December 18, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  19. Amanda

Rick Warren is not going to be spreading his personal and religious propaganda; he is only going to be giving the invocation.

December 18, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  20. Yvonne in Georgia

If people are so upset about Rick Warren praying at the inauguration would they be willing to give their tickets to someone else who wants to go?

December 18, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  21. CAROLYN JONES

can drew get married without a divorce, they have not found his wife. what a camera hog.

December 18, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  22. Maureen T

Anderson,
    seems like we've got another O.J. on our hands here with Peterson. These men believe they are above the law. It will be only a matter of time before Peterson gets caught in his own web!!

December 18, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  23. Belinda

It seems like some people's belief in Obama's ability to implement change was very thin to begin with. You do realise this is just a prayer. Not policy changes, legislation or appointee to his cabinet or administration, right? I would think we would be more concerned about who will be in the administration that could help move gay rights forward instead of someone that will have 15/20 min of a 3 day celebration.

December 18, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  24. David, Indiana

A senator also has to be able to express sensible views on all the legislation going through the senate, this means being reasonable and having the strength to stick to one's best judgment while listening to others' views.

December 18, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  25. lynn

PE Obama certainly knows what it is like to be dehumanized, marginalized and alienated because of the color of his skin. I believe this is his way, as he did in his race speech, to bring people together.
    I don't think he needs lectures from the gay and lesbian community to be able to empathize with them.

December 18, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  26. Samantha

Since when did we start ruling by popularity? Didn't we just have 8 years of that? Let Obama set up his chess board with his own strategy. Let's worry less about the pawns and rooks and more about the end game.

December 18, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  27. John in Arizona

I think there's another reason Obama supporters are so disappointed with Warren's selection. We are so tired of hearing the divisive blather from Evangelicals for the past eight years that the thought of hearing it again on this iconic day of change is just too much. We were hopeful that their days of commanding the bully pulpit werre over.

December 18, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  28. Kathy, Chicago

I think that Caroline Kennedy is an intelligent woman, but she comes off aloof, monotone and boring. She lacks the charisma of John Jr. and the old world charm of her mother.

December 18, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  29. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Just because Obama picked Warren to speak at his inauguration doesn't mean that Warren is now his pastor or his best buddy. He's just going to be speaking for like 2 minutes for one day. I don't see what the problem is. You have the Gay and Lesbian community mad at Obama for picking Warren, you have some African Americans mad at Obama for not picking a preacher from a black church. Everyone is pulling him in all different directions. He is only one man. He will not be able to please everyone. So everybody just needs to chill and let the man be.

December 18, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  30. John

Why so gay? Why so critical on Rick Warren? Why can't we stand the truth to be put in our face! Gays need to move to another term for marriage! Preachers started that term, from the Bible! But know we want to throw him to the curb for up holding it between a man and a woman! Come on people it is simple, move on! Where is these few gays that can talk politics with just good common sense principles? Find another term and meet in the " MIDDLE" ! Why so take take take? I think it is time the gays " GIVE!"

December 18, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  31. Jason

Way to go Obama, he is being a man of his word-even though everyone may not like it. That alone is very difficult to find in Washington today. What is up with Hillary comparing GLBT lifestyles with different races and marriage? One still offers opposite genders while the other still wants to define using the same gender. It's apples to oranges- and always will be.

December 18, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  32. Tammy - California

Obama made a big mis-step here. Hilary Rosen nails it on the head – this isn't a policy difference but a matter of human rights, and had Warren disparaged virtually any other group the way he has homosexuals nobody would be telling that group to "get over it." Obama made a calculated political decision in a situation that called for morality over politics. I'm very disappointed.

December 18, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  33. Concept-Fortworth, Tx

one thing is for sure,
    Obama cannot change Rick’s mind about gays/lesbians issue neither can Rick change Obama’s mind about the same….
    but the gesture certainly sets a challenging example about what it means to “reach out”
    Rick and his church members should take a lesson from Obama and understand that LOVE is only real when shown to someone or people you do NOT like

December 18, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  34. cheryl mahoney

Why is all the talk about new york senator only on caroline kennedy? What does anyone think about the others like Fran Drescher(sp?) Why so little discussion?

December 18, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  35. Cameron, Virginia

I believe that in this historic day, President-Elect Obama should be thanking the people that got him to the presidency. By choosing Rick Warren, who represents a group of people who generally don't support demoracts, Obama is saying to the gay community, who have supported Obama throughout his campaign, that their feelings don't matter. Would Obama had a Jewish or a Muslim 'hater' speak at his inauguration? I don't think so.

December 18, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  36. Patrick NY

Hi Anderson,
    I do think that in a time like this where we see the country is in a recession, we are worried about who the president elect choses to do his inauguration prayer. you got to be kidding me. We need to give him some credit and dont kill the tree before it brings fort fruit.

December 18, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  37. Dan L. - California

Since Rick Warren and Barack Obama both believe that marriage must be between a man and a woman, they would have to approve of a gay man marrying a gay woman, even if they disliked one another. After all, they COULD have children. Marriage must therefore be about procreation, not love. How perverse. THIS IS NOT A DUPLICATE COMMENT== I've never even blogged here before.

December 18, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  38. Mia

To Hilary Rosen and anyone else who is "disappointed" at the choice of Rick Warren, I say that you are entitled to your feeling and free to express your feelings, however, being disappointed is just a part of life. I get disappointed all the time by good people. This won't be the last time Obama disappoints you, I promise.

December 18, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  39. Jon Michael

Rick Warren is the primary purveyor of persecution of gay and lesbian citizens and Obama’s invitation to him to deliver the invocation at his inauguration is tantamount to inviting Adolph Hitler to a reunion of Holocaust survivors. It demonstrates a deplorable lack of sensitivity and understanding of the gay community. To give Mr. Warren face under these circumstances tacitly embraces and gives credibility to his most infamous ideals on a world stage.

December 18, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  40. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, WA)

Wow! that is good cause to donations help people for Middle East or else......

December 18, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  41. GeorgeMacInnis

Anderson, I am a Roman Catholic Priest from East Coast Canada:

I am A Big!!!!!!!! Supporter of Obama,with many of my fellows.... If Obama had asked any of the Roman Catholic population ....36% of the 77 million who voted for him.... would your pannell,especially Hillary, have problem with that...... I would love for David Gergan to respond to this.

GS Mac I

December 18, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  42. eric johnson

as a same gender loving african american who supported barack obama financialy and emotionaly even before i believed he could win. as one who has been soaked by the airlines and a hotel to make it to the innaguration. the selection of rick warren to lead the invocation makes me feel like a robbery victim, i seriously feel scammed. i am extremely dissapointed. what point could he possibly be trying to prove. i'll bet 97% of his church voted for mc cain, and 99% love sarah palin still. to bad dc will be too crowded to do anything during the innauguration, or i'd be doing it since i have to go or donate my hard eraned cash to the arlines and a hotel.

December 18, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  43. Brandon

I do think that Warren is not the best choice for representing the US for the inauguration since he haven't done anything that makes him eligible to represent the image of United States. But Gays and liberals should not be upset since it is double standards to not accepting someone who does not like gays. Since its just a difference in opinion and their way of life. But Obama should consider someone who has more background in charity or foreign policy.

December 18, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  44. Renee

Okay, I just messed up. What I meant to say is that

His religious ASSOCIATIONS in my opinion are not solid.

December 18, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  45. MaryBeth

OMG! A pastor is going to ruin the inauguration of a lifetime?! We elected the first African American president!!!! Who cares who gives the invocation or the benediction or any other prayer! This country, only 232 years old, with a history of slavery elected a black president. It's only been some 40-some years since Civil Rights movement and the Civil Rights Act. Don't let one measly narrow-minded person ruin it. Get a grip, people!!

December 18, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  46. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

After seeing Clinton's list of donors I can see why he was trying to keep it secret.

December 18, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  47. Ashley G - Hamlin, NY

As far as the NY senate seat is concerned, as an upstate NYer I see it two ways:

*Kennedy: Bit of a wild card because I don't know where she stands on the issues. But she seems to represent the Obama change.

*Cuomo: Has a good reputation and knows the game of Washington (this is both good and bad). Goes against the Obama change factor because he has been involved for so long, but also understands the ropes.

Either way, it doesn't matter because I don't have a say. The Governor, not the Governor we voted for, but the Governor does. And they are only in for two years.

December 18, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  48. Eric

I'm appalled that the civil rights movement is being used for people who have a choice in their behavior. My race is not a behavior nor my choice.

I'm disturbed by the thought of the blood that was shed during the Civil Rights movement being applied to people who are confused about something that even the animal kingdom has mastered.

I don't hate gays; I love freedom of speech.

December 18, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  49. Amanda

I hope that Obama's motive of picking Rick Warren is to try and create a diverse environment with his inauguration. I don't agree with Rick Warren's beliefs towards the Gay/Lesbian community. I do feel that diversity and pluralism are very important to make progress towards a better world.

December 18, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  50. Upstate NY

I live in upstate NY, and I DO NOT want Caroline Kennedy appointed by Gov. Patterson to be my senator. She has never ran for office in New York and has not earned the right from any NY voters for this seat. Also, I'm a volunteer for the Obama campaign and heard her and Obama talk at an campaign event. If she wants to run in 2 years, I'll consider her at that time.

December 18, 2008 at 10:26 pm |