December 18th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/18/08

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program.  Just scroll down and share your thoughts on tonight's stories.

Want to know what we're covering tonight?
LINK TO EVENING BUZZ

If you want to take part in our Live Blog (and we hope you do) please follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book)
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials.  LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio.  LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. drew

This social conservative and leader of a Baptist home bible study has voted straight Republican since 1988, when I turned 18.

Until I voted for Obama, because I thought he was the only man who would take risks, like inviting people like Rick Warren to be a part of his inauguration.

It's high time that special interests on the far left AND far right grow up and realize that nothing is going to get done in this country until we grasp the concept of compromise.

December 18, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  2. Mike, Syracuse NY

Jill, I agree. Tolerance is supposed to work both ways. Liberals are showing what a sham their 'tolerance' really is.

December 18, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  3. Lindsay Anch, AK

I appreciate Mr.Gergen say that Caroline Kennedy and Sarah Palin "are very different people", and not going any further. 🙂

December 18, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  4. Fernando

I consider myself a progressive although i don't agree with the Gay agenda. Why do we feel a need to categorize ourselves. I think it time for us to realize that a single person various views can be as diverse as the people on this planet. if we don't talk and respect each others views we will always have issues.

December 18, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  5. jaelle

Barack Obama has stated that he wants to create a new path toward understanding in this country and internationally. He is just doing what he promised. His desire is to take on a unifying role. If there were not two very divided sides there would be no need for unison. It would do no good to bring together the slightly left of center and the slightly right of center, or the less offensive ones, because they basically, already agree. There is no healing unless two perceived enemies are brought together to the table to find in each other an ounce of humanity that brings them a step closer to lasting peace and coexistence.

December 18, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  6. Jeff Kamps

The pick of Rick Warren is entirely justified. Rick is a respected pastor that has attempted to love everyone, regardless of their sexual orientation. Loving individuals doesn't equate with condoning or agreeing with their actions. Pastor Warren believes that the actions of gay individuals are unnacceptable, based on morals derived from the Word of God – the Bible. Those actions are different than who they are, e.g. a Jew, black, white, asian, etc.. Actions, personal choices should not be equally compared.

December 18, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  7. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, WA)

Sorry Hillary R...
    I am disagree with your comment.... making no sense to me.

December 18, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  8. Mike

It is understandable the those that engage in this unnatural chosen lifestyle are angry . By marrying, homosexuals feel that this would legitimize and normalize their union. Pastor Rick Warren speaks the truth and I applaud his courage.

Mike(Canada)

December 18, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  9. vicki

I support gay and lesbian civil rights. However, I've observed that they will not listen unless you are in total agreement with their views. I'm afraid that they are prolonging the inevitable by not sitting down at the table with those of opposing views in an effort to get them to understand their views.

10. USMC

The Gay Community have lost the battle when it comes to Prop 8, they should try next time around with a greater understanding of approach. Lashing out at Churches or Church personnel can lead to some extreme violence, within those rage of parades in front of churches may lie a wacko; whom may want to take matter into their own hand.

11. Pat Maguire

Asking Rick Warren to perform the Invocation has the same impact for gay people as inviting a preacher from Arian Nation would have for blacks. A bigot is a bigot is a bigot.

12. lynn

When you read the blogs alot of them sound like they have been written by the same people. I often wonder if the number of entries really conincides with the number of people writing.

Once I did submit two comments under two different "tags" (sorry CNN) and both were published.

13. Bryan

Caroline Kennedy gives a very good impression on her TV appearances.

14. Jacqui Chan

good evening every1
    as much as I would like to agree with DG on this issue I can't help but be offended for gay and lesbian Americans. Up until this point I have been almost in awe with Obama's intelligent decisions: his cabinet picks and his position on America becoming more energy efficient. But I am very saddened and disappointed to hear that Rev. Warren was selected. This is an unfortunate step backwards for the gay/lesbian/ bisexual & transgender community

15. Minou, New York City

If Caroline Kennedy get the senate seat it's merely because of her last name, not because she earned it. That's what I don't like about the whole thing. I have nothing against the women, but she doesn't deserve the seat.

16. Dulcie - Denver

@Jill.

I fully respect Christian beliefs and views. But that right doesn't extend to making public policy. Our Constitution demands a separation of Church and State. Religion has no place in governance.

17. John

I think it is high time we reached out to both sides! Finally someone form the left moving first for a change! Obama made the right choice with Rick Warren and should expect great things for his bold move to lead us to unity and not one side or the other! P. S I like how Rick put it why not just use another term for the gays in regards to marriage! Not using the word marriage should be a great middle grown to work toward ! It is just a common sense view! Marriage is between a man and a woman Period.

18. Ryan B.

Would we be saying the same things if Jeremiah Wright or Al Sharpton were selected? Maybe I guess. I agree that the left is always screaming about tolerance, but where is the tolerance for Rick Warren who is a good man above reproach who is merely exercising his right to freedom of religion and speech.

19. sheri

As a Christian I am glad Paster Rick Warren is out there reminding people that same sex marriage is not OK for those of us that believe in our wonderful Jesus. Our bible makes it very clear marriage can only be between a man and a women. As Christians we need to ensure our kids understand the values of our bible. Having said that people should be treated with respect.

20. Mike

David Gergen's Comments on Warren's invite to the inauguration are dead on! We are the most divided country and need to get it together.

21. Stephanie

Thank you Keith, we all know "under god" was added to the Pledge of Allegiance during the red Scare. Enough of this, i have my own religious beliefs, but even if someone of my religious affiliation was giving the invocation–i would not support it. Religion should not be part of the ceremony at all, it is a SECULAR ceremony.

22. Ashley G - Hamlin, NY

@Mike S: You have to remember, there are people tell the gay and lesbian community that they do not have a right to be married. That their "pursuit of happiness" isn't valid. Imagine if someone told you that you weren't allowed to marry your significant other.

23. Mia

Obama's day, Obama's choice. CHOICE. Isn't that what the liberal/left/progressive philosophy is supposed to be all about? Seems they champion choice, but only if it is the choice that they themselves would make.

24. Eric

I think this issue about Rick Warren has been blown way out of proportion. I'm almost beginning to believe that it's a media ploy. I recall President elect Obama saying that he was not going to favor any special interest groups. He is living up to what he promised, and that is to reach out to every American, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, or sexual orientation.

25. Linda Lou

I think everyone needs to get over themselves. Why does any self identified group of people believe they should be given special treatment over any other. The largest population of diverse individuals made history this election and President Elect Obama could not, ever, pick a minister to say a prayer that would possibly satisfy everyone. I do not necessarily believe in everything Rick Warren says or stands for, but then again I don’t believe in everything any minister has to say – Get Over It . . .

26. Tyler

I think Caroline Kennedy is entitled to be Senator.
    Obama and Democrats represent change!
    This is a good change too.
    Im glad Democrats realize that Caroline and Obama represent a new America!
    Could you imagine if someone thought they were entitled to be PResident. eer, you know what I mean.

27. Larry

When Obama won the presidency, he won it for all Americans, not just folks that Hillery feels are deserving and "tolerant." I find it so offensive that she again is demonizing "christians" for supporting thier right to make moral judgements based on thier religious beliefs. Since when did she become an expert on anything?

28. Darryl

As long as Warren is not in the Oval Office advising on policy I agree to let him say his prayer. The inauguration is a secular ceremony, so Warren is largely decoration. It could have been a priest, a rabbi, or a Buddhist monk – it makes no difference.

29. EJ (USA)

If anything, when I listen to a couple of those interviews with Rick Warren, he seems confused and misinformed. I don't get the feeling that he wants to wipe gays off the face of this earth. He seems to hold the same views as a large segment of America and the only way to let people 'see the light' is with compassion and intelligent arguments.

Think of the progress that has been made in gay rights the last couple of decades. How do you think it has gotten to this point?

30. barbara

I think Rev. Warren should decline President e-lect Obama
    invitation to speak at the inauguration.
    What about the pastor of his new church in chicago, Rick Warren
    is not his pastor, at least I hope not. God help him if he is Obama's
    advisor.

31. Tom, SCS, Mi

If he is so inclusive of all viewpoints, let him invite some racists.

32. greg M Ar

I'm hurt that Obama would be pick such a man for such an important event, i feel like he let us down just to please a group of angry people, that weak of him to do and a sing of lack of character

33. Ty

I find it funny that the lady in the opening said that Pastor Warren makes people who disagree with him feel like they are bad people or what not. Doesn't she realize that gays and lesbians do the EXACT same thing? If you don't agree with them, then you are a bad person. How can people be so blind to the fact they are doing exactly the thing they are preaching against??

34. abie

Barack is the president of the USA not only for the gays and lesbians. There are evangelicals who chose him who do not agree on the acts of homesexuals. Unlike any other times, Gays are given a special place in the inaguration and will follow suit on policy changes during his presidency. Are the homosexuals trying to follow the exclusion philosophy that they have been victimzed by? what an irony?

35. Harvey Williams

I don't understand the big deal. I'm a bi sexual male and heard about the Rev. comments , though I disagree, I don't feel that having him play a part in the inauguration is a dis service to me. Yes I'm also African American. But we need to realize that Obama is everyone's president and has decisions ahead of him that will effect EVERYBODY. We're acting like kids crying about who gets all of mother's affection.

36. C Bailey, Grand Prairie, TX

We have to look at this decision made in a much larger view. President Obama is the president of the United States...not just to those who support him. True I do not quite understand his decision, but we have to support our president and trust that his decision will provide the substance all he has stood for and all he has committed to stand for.

37. Paulie

It is amazing to me how each group expects Obama to be their personal president! African Americans want him to cater to his race, GLBT wants him to cater to them, liberals, and so on. As D. Gergen stated, it was a good choice.

38. Ashley G - Hamlin, NY

What is up with this "Media Elite" term? Since when is being well-informed mean you think you're better than everyone else? And furthermore, why is being "elite" considered a negative aspect? Don't we want the future of the country to be "elite?" Nobody wants mediocre.

39. Chelle

If Obama truly is going to build an administration that hears all voices, it means that every opinion must be respected. Even if they disagree with yours. Yes yours. We all have the right to be heard.

40. Tyler Chicago Il

heard of her or not shes a new fresh face and willing to do he dirty work she will do well

41. Kiet Nguyen

What is the LGBT community really afraid of if Warren speaks at the inauguration? Warren isn't speaking at the inauguration to dehumanize any group but give an invocation. Secondly, the LGBT community can't expect to always backlash Obama every time he comes in contact with an anti-gay activist.

42. Tari Torch Sweeney - Shaker Heights, OH

This Warren issue has gotten too much play. Get over it! Obama has said all along that this is the type of diversity he wanted for his administration. Hilary Rosen suggests "just not on this day" – but when better to begin? Or shall we say "continue"? He has been choosing wisely and equitably with the transition and his Cabinet. Let him continue to do so. Second-guessing Barack Obama is not a game to play. He campaigned, the country believed him, they elected him, now let him show us his intentions. I believe it will work. We believed in him. Give him the benefit of the doubt, for god's sake. He has a lot of work to do. We can all try to help him.

43. Clay Miller

The pick of Rick Warren is heinous. His views on GBLT and abortion are cultural hot buttons that have no place being reflected on a day dedicated to reuniting this divided nation. Obama needs to reconsider.

44. Mike, Syracuse NY

Fay, Warren's views are shared by most Americans. In virtually evey state gay marriage has been on the ballot, it has been defeated. Hilary Rosen is viewed as outrageous by more people than agree with her.

45. Anna, St. Louis, MO

I think Obama is doing what he promised. He is reaching across lines and divides in order to make our country united. If he picked someone who was extremely liberal - conservatives would be upset. No matter what he was going to upset some group.

46. Greg

as a 50+ gay man I was hoping that for the first time a Presidential Inaguration would include people that feel that all people are created equal. Sadly, it seems as if this one will just be as in the past.....pandering to people that want to keep me a second class citizen. I have been a strong supporter of Barack Obama and send more $ than I ever have before to a campaign. I guess that we as gay people are just given lips service and asked for our $$$.

47. Denzel

Thanks everyone I am not here to say we all will agree,but I love that we all do get express the way we feel in a professional manner here on AC360

48. Johnathan, NYC

The demonization of Rick Warren is indicative of the Radical Athiest Left agenda against Christianity. This is the most manipulative religious persecution I've ever seen. Using LBGT's as victims of some faux oppression is both laughable and dangerous. The vitriol and hate directed toward Christians and their faith here and abroad is palpable and not a single media outlet dares to address. You're the bigots.

49. Rachel Kuntzsch

Until watching tonight's show, I was unaware of Rick Warren's views on LGBT rights. Placing such a fine point in this one issue marginalizes the phenomenal work he has done in helping people of all beliefs to find purpose in their life through God. Did I miss something or wasn't the theme behind President-elect Obama's campaign that we may not always agree but we must work together to find common ground? I disagree with Hilary Rosen – Inauguration Day is precisely the time when Mr. Obama should make it clear that he meant what he said – he is everyone's President.

50. willie

I believe there is the same attitude starting to try and raise its ugly head...if you want us to support you you "MUST" do as we say!!!
    Where is the change coming from if no one is willing to not be right always?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10