December 18th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/18/08

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program.  Just scroll down and share your thoughts on tonight's stories.

Want to know what we're covering tonight?
LINK TO EVENING BUZZ

If you want to take part in our Live Blog (and we hope you do) please follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book)
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials.  LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio.  LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Charly

I think Hilary Rosen makes perfect sense. Didn't we have enough exclusion and divisiveness with Bush?

December 18, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  2. Mike W (Jersey)

I understand why people are angry about Warren, but at the same time I am amazed at the courage of Obama in doing this. He is trying to keep his campaign promise, and as a Christian, he is truly following the example of his faith by reaching out to those who have stood against him. He is trying to bring the two sides closer, and years from now people will look back at this and realize the good that came of it.

3. james

Selection of Rick Warren
    transcends race, religion,ideology and politics.
    I don't know who Obama is anymore.

4. Renee

The thing that bothers me so much about Obama's selection is his lack of real relationships with a pastor, priest, rabbi or anyone.

His religious beliefs in my opinion are not solid. He sat in church for 20 years with Rev. Wright but didn't hear the hate. Now he aligns with Rick Warren. It's kind of sad after all these years Obama has no personal relationship with a trusted religious person.

5. Tyler

I think since Caroline Kennedy helped Obama she should be Senator. Why help people if you cant be honored?
    Its not like Kennedy paid the Governor of NY.

6. Robert

Rick Warren uses the pulpit as a lucrative business that prays on the faith of weak individuals. A true christian would live a meek life while his congregation prides themselves in there luxurious lifestyles.

7. MaryBeth

David Batts: if one person makes you feel that way, you must not be comfortable with yourself being gay. You shouldn't let someone else dictate how you feel about youself. If you don't feel worthy, that's your problem, not Rick Warren's.

8. Chuck in Connecticut

Not for nothing but, gay and lesbians will be battling for their civil rights forever. Their lifestyle although tolerated, will never be wholeheartedly accepted by most heterosexuals. If they stopped shoving it down our throats the residue of the issue would'nt be on the tip our toungs. They have to lear to choose their battles and not complain that their ice cream is too cold.

9. Stuart, NYC

What about Joel Osteen, Very Optimistic, Very Positive, Very Genuine, this is a true mentor to EVERYONE, we should all in this country be more caring, friendly, help our neighbors more,COME TOGETHER, Joel always reflects kindness and healing!!!!! He helps us all MOVE FORWARD!!!

10. Ted

Rick Warren's view of gay marriage is not out of the mainstream. While many of Obama's susporters disagree, If Obama truly is going to reach out to people with whome he disagrees about important issues, this invitation to Warren was good both politically and for the nation.

11. Jolene Brimage Prosper

Comment to Hillary~
    You believe that great opposition is an indication that a poor decision has been made. Does this also apply to freedoms/rights that have been accomplished for women, blacks, and other inequities? These issues faced great opposition and if we embraced your view what would have happened to women voting or working for equal pay, etc?

12. Alex N.

It's not Rick Warren, but what the man represents and stands for that makes millions of Americans upset. The negative connotations are too strong and people just don't like it. Obama has started building a bipartisan bridge too soon... a bridge to nowhere.

13. Charles Kelley

I don't think the issue is all that complex. Could it be that because Obama really lost credibility with multitudes of evangelicals because of his identification with Rev. Wright, an outspoken and controversial liberal man of the cloth, he wants to recover as much of that credibility as possible by now identifying with Rev. Warren, also outspoken and controversial?

14. Claudette Hart

What really kills me is that the people who oppose President-Elect Obama's choice in Warren are failing to realize that he does not need or want their approval. The inauguration is his day, a day that he will remember the rest of his life, that should be special for him and his family. He has the right to his choice without consulting their advice or approval. Period.

15. lynn

I am straight but a supporter of gay marriage; however, this outrage has gone ober the top and now everyone wants in on it: African Americans, antiabortionists, pro choice people demanding prayers from every religion, people who aren't religious

The anger and seeing everyone from only one side, one event, one decision is starting to cause a gridlock society.
    The anger in America is pulling it down and it's time someone has the courage to say ENOUGH!!

16. Peter

Gergen is so off the mark - Hillary Rosen makes sense. Many of you straight folks just don't get it, do you? Let's have someone (who supports keeping heterosexuals from marrying) preach at Obama's inauguration. How does it feel? What happened to that "it's no big deal" philosophy that so many of you are quick to espouse? Yeah, I thought so. Obama blew this big time. What a politician - why did I vote for him?

17. Belinda

I find it sad that Hillary Rosen is fine with Obama reaching across the aisle but just not on inauguration day. Inauguration day is a celebration for America not just those that supported Obama.

18. CAROLYN JONES

hi anderson&erica! as a christian black woman im torn about rick warren at my church we read his books and discussed them not to mention i torn both away his teaching was'nt to to the bible to me. however when he had sen obama and mccain at that faith forum i got to see him for who he was a man that used his pulpit to lie, i and many others that watched felt that a hi tech lynching had taken place.

19. Charlie from West Virginia

David Gergen is always the voice of reason; which is why he is one of the best in the business.

20. Jason Levenson

Just one day of celebration is all we looked forward to for all the work we put in to elect Obama and now he has taken that away.

21. Rhonda Shouse

I don't get why the big tantrum here. Last time I checked Obama is the President-elect for ALL Americans...gay, straight, black, white, Christian, Muslin, etc. I think for any one interest group to get bent out of shape over something like this is ridiculous. There is no way Obama is going to make every interest group happy 100% of the time. Give the man a break and be happy we have an upcoming President who actually is reaching out to a wide range of interest groups.

22. Jack

So exactly who is it that everyone thinks would have been the "right" choice for this historic event? It dosn't seem as though NO ONE would have been the perfect choice.

23. cindy

I'm a liberal Democrat, who is pro-choice and support Gay and Lesbian rights. For the last 8 years, I have not felt that I was represented or that my views mattered. As much as I disagree with SOME of Rev. Warren's points of view, I think he has a right to them and he has a right to be heard. I do not think he will use his role on Jan. 20 to advocate political positions. I think he will pray. I too will pray for the future of our country and the health and wisdom of our leaders.

By the way, if gay rights and abortion are the issues of the moment, it rules out a Catholic prayer, a Baptist prayer, a Methodist prayer. I think you get my point. It is a prayer.

24. Samuel

As one of the MAJORITY of Americans that oppose gay marriage, I'm wondering why are all the CNN commentators gay marriage friendly? Where's the balanced view on this? Ms. Rosen seems to vilify Pator Warren, a favorite tactic of liberals. As an Asian American, I strong pretest equating gay rights with racial rights. Mr. Obama should be commended for reaching out to Pastor Warren, one of the most respected people in the country. CNN, let's have some balance of views!!!

25. Sarah H

I am a Christian who voted for Obama. I think more Christians voted for Obama than the world thinks. We are quiet about our opinions. And voting for a Democrate can be a touchy subject for Christians to speak out about – so we say nothing. But we vote our heart. I am thrilled that Rick Warren is going to pray. It just reinforces my belief that despite the fact that Obama is a Dem. He is an honorable man.

26. Sabrina

Why is it not the proper time? Everyone wants to put off tomorrow what needs to be addressed today.

27. Dave Lyons

Anderson-

Common ground should not be built on the backs of Gays and Lesbians of this country in order to reach across the aisle to religious conservatives . The exhilaration of his historic election has been crushed by this chilling decision.

28. Maggie

I have nothing against Caroline, but fail to see how she is the frontrunner for any reason other than name recognition. She's gone out of her way to stay out of the spotlight throughout her life, and she lacks issue advocacy. I'm sure she would do a fine job, but the attention seems overdone.

29. t sheridan

I worked for the Obama campaign, even went to another state for a month, and this is the thanks I get? To top it off, i get email's almost every day asking for more 'donations' for the inaugration. For all this effort, they have me watch Rich Warren who equates me with a pedophile?

Sorry, Barack and Joel, no more gay money from me.

30. Derek - Douglas, Alaska

As a proud gay man, I'm utterly dismayed and disappointed by President-elect Obama's choice of Rick Warren. It's sickening.

31. Robert Garcia

Hello Anderson,
    I am gay and I do believe that Obama did nothing wrong by inviting Pasto Rick Warren. I believe it is smart move to get him involve with the social issues. Perhaps, this issue will make Warren to be more sensitive to the gay community!

32. Brian in Chicago

Bravo HIllary Rosen for telling the truth about Rick Warren's finger pointing degrading, dehumanizing preachings and opinions about Gay & Lesbians. Obama's selection is an extremely disappointing way to start his administration, and on his very first day!!

33. Karen, Lincoln NE

Yes, this is the day to walk the walk, just as Obama is doing. Start as you mean to go on. People better accept that he meant when he said "there is only the United States of America". I am a supporter of all gay rights, but I am sick and tired of no one listening to the other. Here is another good saying, "if you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got". People who did NOT vote for Obama are distrusting and even fearful. He cannot lead a country effectively with a chunk of the population feeling this way. If offering an olive branch like this, in a highly visible way, can even barely skim the surface of that, so be it. People should not act surprised about this. I do not agree with Rick Warren, but I also don't think that "change" is going to happen if all Obama does is cater to his base. We saw where that got John McCain.

34. Tom, SCS, Mi

The issue is that Warren has preached hate against gay people comparing them to pedophiles, bestiality, etc. That isn't somebody you place as a preacher in the inauguration if you are touting equality.

35. Shinjay

I'm in Canada and I've been listening to all the the anchors talking about Obama's choice. It is true that he is a but maybe he would just like to really celebrate his day of success by adding a personal touch.

36. Tyler

I just hope this blessing of Rick Warren during the Inaugaration will give Pastor Warren more fame and more honor that is his due.
    The symbolism of introducing and blessing America will show the world what America believes!
    Hopefully people will now see that California is smart not to allow gays to marry!
    Thank you President Obama! God loves you and so do I!!!

37. Amanda - Leesburg, Florida

I'm unsure where I sit with Rick Warren. I think it was very sad to see this guy compare gay marriage to incest, and pedophilia. And he's going to be at this historical event? Crazy. I guess I can see why people are so upset about this.

38. Rebekah Jensen

Re: Rick Warren. I know that for the last 15 years I've been pushing back against the intolerant views of Social conservatives. I for one was hoping that we would start to see a kinder and gentler Christian Faith start to emerge over the Obama years. Perhaps that was just a dream though.

39. Renee

I am a democrat. But I am first a Christian. I have conservative views on many issues and don't have a problem with Pastor Rick Warren. I am proud to have a future President who understands that he will be President to all of the people of the United States and not to just certain groups of people!

40. Shaun

wow.. to think that the only division is coming from the left homosexuals who speak of wanting tolerance, yet are hipocritical to the very concept of the definition.

41. Randall Petty

Panel member Hillary said it was "unacceptable" for Warren to hold some of his opinions. How can it be unacceptable to hold a view on major social/religious issues? Randy

42. Tyler Chicago Il

I love Caroline Kennedy

43. Francisco

I'm mad that President Elect Obama chose Rick Warren. I'm starting to think I may have wasted my vote when I voted for him. Mr. Warren appears to divide unlike Obama's "mending" promise.

44. Ardus Berkley

I for one will enjoy Rick Warren. Are liberals afraid of Jesus and
    His love for them?

45. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I knew Sharpton would resurface sooner or later now that Obama has been elected.

46. jacob

Why do the gays and lesbians hate the evangelicals? is that not hatred?

47. Greg S. in Chicago

Annette – you are right. It is his inauguration, and he does have the right to choose who he wants to speak. However, the American people have the right to speak out when they feel he has done something that is hurtful and disrespectful. I support Obama because I believe he will be a good President, but I also feel he showed disdain for many people who supported him. I, for one, will not watch the inauguration – and hope others will do the same.

48. Wilfred

It is an outrage that Obama would choose this day to invite this reverend. That goes to show his commitment to the gay and lesbian community.

49. Victor

Hilary Rosen – unlike David Gergen – gets it right. It's not about gay marriage, it's about the principle of being treated with the inherent respect and dignity that all humans are entitled to. The choice or Rick Warren is contrary to that princple.

50. Kathy, Chicago

I'm not really a follower of Rick Warren, but I would say don't watch his little part in the ceremony. I don't think that I've ever watched the whole days' worth of festivities. The news channels usually give the highlights.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10