December 18th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/18/08

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program.  Just scroll down and share your thoughts on tonight's stories.

Want to know what we're covering tonight?
LINK TO EVENING BUZZ

If you want to take part in our Live Blog (and we hope you do) please follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book)
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials.  LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio.  LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Paula in WI

Hillary,
    If we can't put aside our differences and come together for such a historic event then what hope is left for this country.This is a childish argument.

December 18, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  2. judy

I am not disturbed by the announcement of Rick Warren for the
    inaugration. I live in California and voted NO on Prop 8 and happen to believe that gays have the same rights I do....so I don't agree with Warren on everything.
    I think everyone is getting too worked up about this and what it "means". Obama is an intellegent man who is reaching out....I agree with David Gergen on this.
    Let it be!

December 18, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  3. Brooks

I STILL wonder about the 'seperation of church and state',when is it truly going to happen or begin to happen?

December 18, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  4. Debbie, Appleton Maine

Separation of church and state was meant to protect the church from government interference and government control. Somehow it's gotten turned around and now you want the government to protect us from religion

December 18, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  5. Mike Sherrill

Re: Rick Warren...

I would say to the gay community that you're over reaction to this is hurting your own cause. It makes it seem as though you believe anyone who doesn't share your viewpoint has to be a bigot. The result is that it's you who seem intolerant. Relax...let the guy speak and let Obama try and find common ground.

December 18, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  6. Heather - Spokane, WA

Isnt a prayer just a prayer? Shouldnt anyone be able to offer a prayer for someone without predjudice?

December 18, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  7. Matt

I think tolerance goes both ways here. Gay-rights supporters need to recognize that not everyone will be in touch with the views they discuss. And that does not make the "others" homophobic or bigots. It is a point of view that comes from personal understanding.

8. vanessa from silver spring, MD

The more people talk about this rick warren issue, the more the distracted people will get from the true significance of the special day. I believe that once the inauguration starts, people will not be focusing on Warren but on Obama and what an amazing day for the country it will be.

9. AlanB

These are Christianists. Who think their Biblical interpratation gives them the political right to keep a people 2nd class. Apalling.

10. Jill Farley

The liberals want the Christians to be tolerant of their liberal views, but the liberals don't want to be tolerant of our Christian views.

This is religious intolerance.

11. Greg, Texas

This vote will be so close that they may have to recount the recount.

12. Eric Pierre

Well, Hilary, i do understand your fierce position. But you should learn to respect others views as well.

13. Susan

OK...so I have been listening. This is also about Progressive, Thoughtful Christians who have been sidelined for decades. Evangelicals have always been praying and this time the rest of us thought perhaps the change meant Obama would allow us to actually pray and publicly demonstrate how we are also people of faith.
    The person who prays is usually the person the president turns to for spiritual guidance. Certainly there are other more kind, thoughtful evangelicals he could have invited.
    And when will we see a Rabbi pray?
    I am an ordained pastor and find this very sad.

14. Skylar, Bowling Green, KY

Hillary hit it on the head. As a gay man, that's exactly how I'm feeling right now. This isn't a simple policy disagreement. Comparing homosexuality to polygamy, incest, and pedophilia is degrading, deplorable, and dehumanizing. She took the words out of my mouth. Barack Obama and the others just don't get it. It's one thing to oppose gay marriage. I vehemently disagree, but that's fine. But to compare my loving relationship to pedophilia dehumanizes me and degrades and insults our love. This isn't about policy, it's about people.

15. Faith

I feel that President Elect Obama has slapped the LBGT community in the face. Sometimes in life you can't make everyone happy and this time he chose the Evangelicals over his base and that may come back to bite him. I am very disappointed and I hope that his 'rock star' status is not going to his head. After all he is only a man.

16. Keith Maupin

If we kept religion out of this as in separation of church and state none of this would be problematic. No swearing on a relegious document and allegiance to the flag!

17. Mike, Syracuse NY

I have to admit that this is a great political move on Obama's part. He has effectively shown the middle and right that he's not so scary after all. He'll pick up way more support than he loses.

18. Denzel

No matter what happens HE WILL BE YOUR PRESIDENT TOO!

19. Pierre

I think that Obama's choice of Warren was an excellent choice. He is proving that he is really willing to be inclusive with all viewpoints. Tolerance should be expected on both sides of the issue. The GLBT community needs to practice what it preaches.

20. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I agree Erica...it is totally lame that Starburst Candy Canes only come in strawberry!

21. james m

I think Rick Warren is the "Billy Graham" of this time. I personally do not support many of his ideas. Social ideas and progression moves at a snails pace. This is simply a fact of life.

22. MaryBeth

Besides, isn't the pastor giving the benediction at the total opposite spectrum as Warren? Why aren't we talking about him? I don't even know his name!

23. Timothy

I don't see the problem, no matter who he choose there would be a problem, if he chose someone Black, it would be said he is trying to make it a black holiday, he choses someone white, their polices are not politically correct. He chose someone who believes in GOD and has committed his life to sharing his love for GOD, what is the problem with that.

24. Renea-Iowa

David just said it all-give Obama a break. My goodness it is a prayer–do we really have to spend two evening talking about this???? Love your show–Renea

25. Paul Allen Billings

It must be a slow news day, when this becomes the top story. Obama will be the President of everybody. Not just Blacks and Gays should be allowed to celebrated the day.
    This shouldn't even be a issue. Come on Anderson, there are bigger issues going on.

26. Bobby

I think that allowing him to speak at the ceremony is a sad day. It scares me of what other suprises are lurking in the shawdows. If he will do this on his first day, I am nervous about the first 100.

27. Richard B

First time poster; here goes: Obama supporters and fans were all about 'change!' during the election cycle. With his selection of Rick Warren, Obama has made a "change" from recent Presidents-elect who chose middle-of-the-road, sometimes mealy-mouthed, non-controversial religious figures to say a traditional prayer. This is yet another of the "points of change" we'll see in Obama's transition into the White House. Obama supporters literally screamed for change; but now that they're having it, they don't seem to want it!

28. David Batts

I'm a gay american.. not a pedophile. Warren makes me feel as if my life is worthless and i deserve to be in jail.. Obama could have taken another pastor that has not had such a demeaning approach to gay relationships.

29. Fay - CA

Unless Warren can recognize that his views on homosexuality are outrageous and wrong, he should have no place in the inauguration. Hilary Rosen is right–people seem to be missing the point.

30. California Scott

For the first time, I seriously disagree with David Gergen.

Imagine if a pastor that equated interracial marriage to pedophilia was invited to give the invocation at LBJ’s inauguration in 1964. Would that level of “building bridges” have been acceptable to the civil rights leader of the day? I don’t think so.

I’ve been a strong Obama supporter, but I do think that a weakness he has displayed on more than one occasion is too much willingness to compromise on issues that involve basic principles, not just policy nuances.

-= Scott =-

31. george

people are over reacting

32. Tyler Chicago Il

he's free to pick who he wants but I just hope he doesn't forget about the people who need a voice in this post bush world its why I voted for him and why I believe in him so much

33. Gisselle - Houston TX

@ Denzel,

Congratulations and thank you for seeing past the negative and embracing our elected President's choice, it is the only way that we can fight bigotry and intolerance.

34. Ashley G - Hamlin, NY

@Denzel: I completely understand where you are coming from. I think our entire country can be addicted to the dramas of one person/group's opinion. Doesn't having those opinions make this country great to begin with?

35. Sara in Minneapolis

So...I know it's the status quo and all, to look the other way and "get along" with people and such, and certainly things are nice and "friendly" and less divisive when we act that way, but I want to know when it'll stop. When can people stand up and say "enough" and not be chided for being too liberal and not accepting [of insensitive or downright hateful views]? When does moral right vs. wrong outweigh not just tolerance, but *condoning* of hate, for the sake of unity?

36. Renee Y

I don't agree with Pastor Warren. But I see where Obama is trying to lead America, He said he would be a President for all America even those who probably hate him. Remember people "Change comes in all forms" and not everyone will like it though most voted for change.

37. Stephanie

I would like to know, Rick Warren aside, why there's an Invocation at the Inauguration to begin with?

38. Renee

@Denzel: Excellent point. No preacher speaks for me either. God is the only person I will answer to.

39. Ken in NC

Good evening Anderson, Erica and all bloggers. Gonna be an exciting night with Rev Warren in the news. I am not a supporter of Warren but I think I understand PE Obama's attempt to reach out to him. I understand Hillary Rosen's position too but I think she needs to realize that no matter who Obama chose, someone was not going to be happy so give him a chance.

December 18, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  40. Brandi - bottom of the boot

@donna,

in order to bridge the gap, the people who have created the divide or are opposed to it must be brought together. education, its all about education.

December 18, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  41. MaryBeth

I don't think convincing Warren to accept gay marriage is the point. Inclusion is the point. Rick Warren is poised to be the next Billy Graham. Besides, both Obama and Warren believe in marriage between one man and one woman. Obama believes in equality for gays, but not in marriage...maybe civil unions or something, but not marriage..in this Obama and Warren agree.

December 18, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  42. Martina

I believe in separation of church and state.

December 18, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  43. Mike, Syracuse NY

The fact that Obama himself opposes gay marriage seems to be getting swept under the rug here.

December 18, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  44. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Obama will be President and it's his choice to pick who he wants to say a prayer. No one will ever be 100 percent happy, but it's his choice.

December 18, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  45. EJ (USA)

On the race comparison, blacks and other minorities have had to dialogue with whites that were hostile with them for decades. They had to live beside them, work beside them, everything. You can't escape hostile voices.

Shutting out someone is not the way to do it.

December 18, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  46. Annette, Missouri

You are all forgetting one thing... This is HIS inaguaration, NOT YOURS...let him have what he wants. Sorry to be so blunt but he should be able to make his choice and we should be happy for him. Not give him grief over it. As Kristen, University Park, PA says, no one would have made everyone happy.

December 18, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  47. Darron Zognrah Omaha NE

if you disagree with Obama what about Rick Warren let's go get Jeremia Wright then!

December 18, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  48. AlanB

Hillary makes great sense with this point: it's about dehuminzation. And it's an attitude that encourages violence against gays.

December 18, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  49. Kristen-University Park, PA

Hillary isn't making sense to me either Jacob.

December 18, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  50. Denzel

Good evening all: As a proud GAY male I am not upset about Obama choosing Rick Warren. I am not linked to any one religous org. so Rick Warren can not speak for me.

December 18, 2008 at 10:11 pm |