December 18th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/18/08

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program.  Just scroll down and share your thoughts on tonight's stories.

Want to know what we're covering tonight?
LINK TO EVENING BUZZ

If you want to take part in our Live Blog (and we hope you do) please follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book)
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials.  LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio.  LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Donna

Shouldn't we be bringing in a pastor who could bridge the gap, not one who has publicly widened the chasm.

December 18, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  2. Martina

I believe in separation of church and state.

December 18, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  3. Tyler

Is that Hillary Rosen a pervert?
    She is wrong!

December 18, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  4. EJ (USA)

I admit that although I think Obama's choice is ok, many of the liberal groups (which I thought I was apart of) do have a way of making people feel REALLY bad. I am not against gay rights or gay marriage. I just think it's very important to reach out to people. How else can you expect someone to change their views or look at things from a different perspective if you won't even talk to them?

December 18, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  5. Micci -Indiana

I think Obama subscribes to the theory of "hold your friends close, but hold your enemies closer." I think there is a method to his madness where Rick Warren is concerned. Give him the benefit of the doubt.

December 18, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  6. Ashley G - Hamlin, NY

PE Obama said he was going to bring the country – so we didn't have a red America and a blue America. Isn't that what he is doing?

December 18, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  7. Kristen-University Park, PA

Thanks Chuck, I agree. This is Obamas Day. People personal views need to take a back seat.

December 18, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  8. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Talk is cheap; action is what makes the difference. Obama is never going to convince Warren to accept gay marriage no matter what.

December 18, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  9. Shen and Pete

Anderson, I thought the whole draw of Obama was his openess to accept many people without judgement or biases? He made his intentions very, very clear during the campaign....bringing in all types of people and now as he keeps those promises everyone has something to say before he can even start the job. What happened to acceptance? Why can't we all just get along?

December 18, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  10. MaryBeth

I totally agree with David Gergen. Lots of Evangelicals think the way Rick Warren does, that homosexuality is an abominition and he has used very very very strong negative language, but think of what he's done for other people? For the poor and the people with HIV/AIDS, which most preachers think is a just punishment for being gay. I think this was a very acceptable choice.

December 18, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  11. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I actually like new graphics...I am easily distracted so without the ticker I catch a lot more of the show! 🙂

December 18, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  12. jacob

Hillary Rossen, you are making no sense to me.

December 18, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  13. Kristen-University Park, PA

No pastor Obama would have chosen would have appealed to everyone. This is his inauguration, its his hard earned right to choose anyone he wishes to pray over him.

December 18, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  14. Mike, Syracuse NY

Warren's beliefs are not political beliefs, they are religious beliefs.

December 18, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  15. Suseth - FL

One way or another someone would have disagreed with his Obama's choice. I am don't get it. Did Rick Warren preach hate?

December 18, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  16. Debbie, Appleton Maine

Liberals only believe in freedom of religion for those who don't actually believe in anything.

December 18, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  17. Gisselle - Houston TX

David Gergen,

And this is why we love you, wow...so much better than last night already. You make so much sense and thank you for actually making a point. Hilary doesn't make any sense, she is asking for tolerance but she isn't willing to give none. That's hypocritical. Move on about what Rick Warren had said in the past, why is she stuck in the past? How progressive is that?

December 18, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  18. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The problem is that Warren allowed his name to be used to backed Prop 8, something that discriminates against a group of people. You can't just ignore that.

How can Gergen say that someone who would do something to divide people should be given a "chance?"

December 18, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  19. Heather - Spokane, WA

I see this pick as a show of Obama offering a hand for peace. Why not start at the beginning?

December 18, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  20. Janine from PA.

Good evening all of 360. I personally don't think there should be any religious services on the steps of our secular government facilities. Obama can go to a church before or after for that. But if liberals want to show they are better then the closed minded conservatives, they should be the open minded people they say they are and welcome this man and be civil. Don't have to agree just have to be civil to each other.

December 18, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  21. Chuck in Connecticut

People are forgetting what the inauguration is all about. This is not the inauguration of the United States, or of gay and lesbian couples or ushering in change. It’s Obama’s day. Just like a Baptism, Bahmitsfa or Wedding. It’s his choice and no one elses opinion matters. Should I as a heterosexual male be offended or feel left out when a gay couple gets married by a gay minister? Barney Frank is outraged? I wonder if Barney Frank attends Sunday services for gay and lesbians only, or if he attends services at all. Get real America!

December 18, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  22. Marc

I don't like the new graphics. Too many things on the screen – they are distracting and take up too much space (worse on small tv's. Please bring back just the ticker.

December 18, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  23. jacob

I think Obama did a smart move by bringing in Rick Warren for innoguration

December 18, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  24. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, WA)

This is good idea to invite Rick Warren to Washington D.C for inaugration on Jan 20th.......

December 18, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  25. ellen

Why do we need any minister to pray at the inauguration anyway? They are always divisive to someone.

December 18, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  26. AlanB

The evangelical megachurches have done their best to harm the daily lives of gay people since their commerical inception.

December 18, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  27. Kevin C

I'm not against gay marriage, but I think being against it doesn't make you a bigot, or a gay-hater.

December 18, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  28. Donna

First Jeremiah Wright, now Rick Warren. HELP!!! These pastors are becoming far too controversial.

December 18, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  29. Imani from Maryland

Hello everyone... let him say a prayer ... please it is not even close to being that serious.

December 18, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  30. Tray

I don't see why theirs such outrage Rev. warren just like I didn't see whay their was so much outrage over Rev. Wright...Hell he becoming the President of the United States...Thank you so much David Gergen I feel the same way.

December 18, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  31. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Hello Bloggers: No matter who PE Obama would have picked to say prayers at his inauguration, he would have been criticized. Prayers are prayers, does it really matter who is saying them?

December 18, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  32. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Anderson
    Sleeplesss in Germany.Good eveninng,hope you hade a good day.You look tired,take some rest!

December 18, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  33. Fay - CA

Allowing Warren to give the invocation is a big misstep by Obama and the anger and disappointment of the gay community and their supporters is completely justified.

December 18, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  34. Chuck in Connecticut

Hey Anderson and Erica, baby it's cccccold in New England!

December 18, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  35. Candace from Canada

Good Evening Anderson & Erica & Best Bloggers!
    How is everyone doing today?

I was home sick today – feeling much better now. 🙂

December 18, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  36. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I agree with Obama. We can't come to terms with one another if we don't reach out and interact with each other. Anger never creates a bridge.

December 18, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  37. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I'm not the biggest fan of Pastor Warren...but there are so many more important things going on that we need to just accept this and move forward.

December 18, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  38. Landolphe D'Aquin MD ThD

Rick Warren's political beliefs aside, I question the adequacy of his theological/pastoral gravamen to warrant his selection for the inaugural invocation. His church, although large, is well out of the mainstream of protestantism, and he enjoys NO status in theological circles. Possibly, he was a savvy political choice, but he certainly presents a bad image for America.

December 18, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  39. Yvonne in Georgia

Pastor Rick Warren is a very good pick to give the invocation at the inauguration. He's an intelligent pastor. Obama made a wise choice.

December 18, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  40. EJ (USA)

How can you ever show someone your views if you exclude them from everything? You have to have that dialogue no matter how painful it is.

December 18, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  41. vanessa from silver spring, MD

I don't understand the big issue. It's not like Rick Warren is going to be in his cabinet or something. After this we probably won't see this dude again.

December 18, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  42. AlanB

I'm grateful Warren's the lead story tonight. Most of today's anchors have been poo-poo'ing and trivializing the issue.

December 18, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  43. Marcus Harun

Hey everyone! Good evening Mr. Cooper.

December 18, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  44. Mike, Syracuse NY

Hi Anderson. Why are liberals so upset? They are the ones who preach inclusion. Well that means everyone doesn't it?

December 18, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  45. EJ (USA)

I say let the man say his prayer

December 18, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Jeremy -Quincy IL

Hi everyone.

December 18, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, WA)

Hellooo Anderson, Erica, and best bloggers!!!!!

Ohhhhh there is breaking news inaugration prayer!!!! Ouch!

(we had blizzard snow in Seattle area!!! very cold!!)

December 18, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good Evening Anderson, Erica and bloggers....Hope everyone had a great day!

...I was hoping we had left the topic Pastor Rick Warren behind

December 18, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  49. MaryBeth

Hello Anderson and everyone. Interesting day, huh?

December 18, 2008 at 10:01 pm |