December 18th, 2008

Inauguration dust-up

Anderson talks to his panel about Rick Warren's invitation to Barack Obama's inauguration and the controversy behind it.

Filed under: Anderson Cooper • Barack Obama • Inauguration Day • Raw Politics • Religion
  1. Lilibeth

Maybe Obama's decision to have Rick Warren in the inauguration is to spark conversations like these and show that it is alright to disagree? Just a thought.

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

December 18, 2008 at 4:26 pm |
  2. EJ (USA)

Cisco – The KKK is linked to violence against blacks and gays. I don't think the comparision of the selection of Rick Warren to letting the KKK march at the Inauguration is accurate.

If Rick Warren has said that he wants gays to be tortured, hung, and set on fire – then I will agree with you. Please show me these quotes. Otherwise, your comparison is a bit over the top.

December 18, 2008 at 3:57 pm |
  3. T

With all the shouting... I missed the point. If it's not about gay rights what is it about? If it's about someone offensive being included in the inaugeration... I still don't get it because offensive is a subjective term.

December 18, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  4. Michelle

IMHO everybody just needs to chill.
    The yelling and fussing back and forth
    was a bit too much. That is exactly what
    turns the masses off with cable news.

December 18, 2008 at 2:26 pm |
  5. Helen

Just a fast note to register my full agreement with Hillary and others regarding the inappropriate selection of Rick Warren as a speaker on Inauguration Day. No matter how you slice it, this guy dishes out hate in the name of God. Furthermore and sadly so, I find it interesting that so many Americans feel so superior when expressing "their truth". Frankly, it brings to mind the expression of those whom we are fighting across the pond in Iraq and Afganistan. I for one, who have No belief in "God" am offended by the introduction of any religious ceremony on Inauguration Day. What happened to the concept of Separation of Church and State? I would like to suggest that President Elect Obama might be far more effective in his efforts to unite America by meeting with various religious groups versus providing an international platform for a man who clearly has a bias against gays as well as a book to sell. All of this nonsense only serves to distract us from issues of far greater import. By the way, like it or not, according to our Constitution, God has no place in this, or any, political arena!
    Helen
    Leesburg Va

December 18, 2008 at 2:09 pm |
  6. EJ (USA)

I think Anderson handled it as well a he could have. It's a highly emotional issue and he wanted to let everyone get their viewpoints heard.

December 18, 2008 at 1:42 pm |
  7. Cisco

I'm glad the Obama campaign is opening up to all aspects of our U.S. Society so that it is the "most inclusive, open, accessible inauguration in American history" (from Linda Douglass, a spokeswoman for Obama). I for one am looking forward to the KKK marching in the inaugural parade. Racist bigots were vocal in this campaign and should be openly included in his celebration.

December 18, 2008 at 1:41 pm |
  8. Pat, Atlanta, GA

I thought the gay community had wanted us to accept diverse opinions and lifestyles for years. Now they have a chance to prove they can do the same with Rick Warren. Their “outrage” is hypocritical.

December 18, 2008 at 1:22 pm |
  9. cathy

Rick Warren is a christian leader, and we all expect him to speak from Biblical authority. Anyway, why are we making issue of nothing? if one person has issues with warren, it does not mean every American does. And no one is liked by everyone...not even Obama. And to shame those crying out for nothing, Anyone told you that Warren was invited to give a talk on homosexuality? Since we touched the issue, I can as well add to it; we all were born, NOT out of homosexual unions!

December 18, 2008 at 12:53 pm |
  10. Fay, CA

Even though I generally expect to be disappointed by the choices of our political leaders, it still saddens me that Obama feels the need to appease religious bigots who support Rick Warren–perhaps it's unrealistic and naive to hope that a politician could show real leadership and vision by fully backing gay rights and ensuring that gays will not continue to be treated as second class citizens in this country, that WAS the direction that I hoped Obama was headed. It remains to be seen what Obama will do as president in terms of gay rights, but Rick Warren's prominent role in the inauguration is a step in the wrong direction.

And bravo to Hilary Rosen who brilliantly articulated why Obama's choice of Warren to give the invocation sends the wrong message.

December 18, 2008 at 12:53 pm |
  11. Dulcie

Wow, that really got crazy last night. I've never seen those three so fired up.

I do think that Obama would have been better served by choosing an evangelical who's so controversial. There are plenty of conservative preachers who aren't so divisive or prone to inflammatory statements.

Too bad David Gergen wasn't there. He's usually a fairly calm head and things might not have gotten so crazy.

As to Anderson letting them go at it? I don't enjoy people screaming at each other, but I'm not sure he should have stopped it. He just did the best he could to moderate.

December 18, 2008 at 12:33 pm |
  12. adamblast

Hillary's in part responsible for a huge losses in consumer, PC, and media rights over the last decade. She's in BigMedia's pocket. I call her little miss Macrovision. So no, she's only a half-awesome contributer.

December 18, 2008 at 12:31 pm |
  13. Max

Amazing how SOME are defined by JUST a few THINGS they say ...

I guess it DOES matter WHAT you SAY????

December 18, 2008 at 12:29 pm |
  14. adamblast

Roland was the one who lost it in that interchange, not the others. Went apoplectic and had to have the last word in every exchange. He seems to have no respect for me, so I've lost mine for him.

December 18, 2008 at 12:28 pm |
  15. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

I would not have chosen Rick Warren however; President elect Obama talked a lot about uniting the country. I told my republican friends that he would not be just for one. They did not believe me.
    I believe this is his way of reaching across and creating bridges to somewhere. I don't think he will leave anyone out. Let's give him a chance. Let's give peace a chance~
    'tis the season.

December 18, 2008 at 12:09 pm |
  16. Josh

Hillary Rosen is correct. She is an awesome contribution to this program.

The problem is not that Rick Warren is against gay marriage. The problem is that he says that gay relationships are morally equivalent to an adult raping an animal or a child.

Also when in African countries where homosexuality is criminalized, he has vocally supported it.

Does Warren think that gays in America should be imprisoned or executed?

He needs to clarify and possibly apologize.

December 18, 2008 at 12:02 pm |
  17. Travis

You mean to say that Obama can't please ALL the democrats ALL the time. Blasphemy!! He has been sold as the next JFK, the next FDR. Icons of the Democratic party. To now portray him as a mere human..ney...a politician is an insult to all of the naive people who voted for him.

December 18, 2008 at 10:09 am |
  18. Cindy

This panel discussion got WAY out of hand! Anderson should have stepped in and taken control! I hate the fussing and yelling mess!

And Hilary got on my last nerve with all of her yelling and talking over people! She wants to spread her propaganda yet give no one else a chance to speak. PLEASE do not have her back on unless she can conduct herself better.

As to Warren doing the invocation...well as you recall during Obama's many speeches when he was running for President he stated clearly that he believes marriage should be between a man and a woman only. He said it several times! So therefore he believes the exact same as Rick! They both say gays can have rights to live together, to have insurance together and what not just not marriage. So where is the outcry by the gays towards Obama on that!? Obama believes the exact same as Warren does...guess the gays will have to boycott him next!

Cindy..Ga.