December 17th, 2008

The Shot: V.P. shelter puppy

A CNN poll determines that more Americans think the Bidens should've chosen a shelter dog.

Filed under: Joe Biden • T1 • The Shot
  1. Melissa, Los Angeles

There are people out there who what a particular breed of dog and attempt to adopt them from local breed shelters yet are not able to because of all the rules the group has. The only other choice is to buy it from a breeder like Urbzen did.

December 17, 2008 at 4:55 pm |
  2. Mary V., Salt Lake City, UT

I agree that rescuing a shelter dog or cat would be great. Some people may not adopt a needy animal, but perhaps they donate to the shelters.

I am betting that the Obama family will rescue a pooch.

December 17, 2008 at 4:32 pm |
  3. Joanne, Solvay, NY

I believe that the Bidens and P-E Obama should indeed adopt a shelter dog. The situation with stray animals : cats and dogs is so desparate that my 3 or my 4 cats showed up on my doorstep...did not come from a shelter. The one cat I did adopt had spent 9 months caged. Upon asking the very lovely attendants if they take the animals out for recreation and petting, they said "no"...how sad, this is another national tragedy.

December 17, 2008 at 4:29 pm |
  4. Fran

We adopted a shelter dog last February. She is a "florida hound", is she perfect no, but she give us love without question, get's along well with others and I am proud to have her Sadie in my home. We feel blessed to have picked her and at the same time, saved one of Gods creatures.

December 17, 2008 at 3:53 pm |
  5. urbzen

I doubt the Bidens had this problem, but when I went to my local breed-specific rescue group (Westie Rescue of CA in this case), they determined that I was not a "fit" pet parent b/c I didn't have a yard at the time and, because I'm a female in my 20s, they assumed I was right on the brink of popping out a baby, at which point I would dump the dog.

So, I got Mr. Henry from a reputable breeder, even though that wasn't my first choice. He's brought immeasurable joy to my life and is happy, healthy, and loved.

December 17, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  6. Spicy

I do think that a great example could have been set by adopting a shelter or a rescue dog.

There are so many out there in need.

Proud owner of a rescued American Bulldog.

December 17, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  7. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Well, Cindy, I care. I have been in the animal rescue business for over 25 years. Most breeders are not reputable and need to be put out of business. They should have a lisence to breed and specifications on each animal that breeds or they should be neutered.
    As the Vice President, I believe he should be a trend setter, a role model if you will.
    Millions of our four-legged friends are put to death each year. Why? Because irresponsible people let their best friends breed indescriminately. It is the holocaust of man's best friend.
    Most breeds like the German Shepherd have been bred for so many years they have defects like hip problems and have to be put down before their time.
    Three cheers to Obama for wanting to rescue a shelter pup and save it from being sentenced to the death chamber for no fault of his/her own.
    Go "O"!
    Cute shot! I believe Biden should name his German friend Oskar Schindler. I had a rottweiler (rescued) named that and he was the smartest dog in the world! He could even read several words. You could mix them up and he always got them right. He was a public servant around my town entertaining and making children, elderly, and many smile. When the shuttle exploded and the NASA officals were in my town, they heard about Schindler and came to my house to see him. He became famous for a while with NASA e-mails. They even sent me a shuttle lapel pin for him. Cool!
    Anyway, hooray for Obama!!!
    XO's and tailwags!!!

December 17, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  8. Cindy

it is up to each individual as to where they get their dog. Getting a shelter dog is a great thing but for someone that wants dogs to show, breed or such then they want one that comes with papers and comes from a very reputable person, not a shelter.

The Biden's made their choice..who cares what anyone thinks?

Cindy...Ga.