December 17th, 2008

Morning Buzz: Can I have my boyfriend w/fries, to go?

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/HEALTH/12/11/gene.mutation.fat.protection/art.hamburger.fries.jpg]

Penny Manis
AC360 Senior Producer

Barack Obama has been named Time Magazine’s Person of the Year. They call him a “transformational figure” who has changed the paradigm of US politics. Sarah Palin came in as 4th runner up. Do u agree with Time’s choices this year?

Docs at a clinic in Cleveland offer details today about an incredible face transplant they performed 2 weeks ago. It’s the first of its kind in the US-surgeons replaced 80% of a patient’s face w/that of a female cadaver. The woman’s name hasn’t been revealed because of privacy issues, but our medical reporter Elizabeth Cohen will watch the news conference and have this story tonight.

P-E Obama will name Gov Tom Vilsack as Sec of Agriculture and US Sen. Ken Salazar as Sec. of the Interior. W/ the selection of Arne Duncan as his Education Secretary nominee yday, some people are noticing an interesting trend: P-E Obama is compiling quite an impressive basketball line-up.

Duncan played professional basketball in Australia, National Sec Adviser James Jones played at Georgetown, AG Eric Holder (known for his “easy dunk”) and UN Amb. Susan Rice played in High School, and Gov. Janet Napolitano has guest-coached for b-ball teams too. P-E Obama said “I think we are putting together the best basketball playing Cabinet in American history.” There’s going to be a lot of dribbling going on at the White House these next 4 yrs.

Tomorrow Fed regulators will adopt tougher restrictions on credit card companies and apparently make it harder for them to raise interest rates on existing customers. But Drew Griffin is Keeping Them Honest and tells us if these rules go far enough in protecting consumers-he found some interesting loopholes he’ll share tonight.

The case against an Iraqi journo who threw his shoes at Prez Bush has been referred to trial, he’ll most likely be charged with assaulting a foreign head of state under the Iraqi penal code. The shoe-thrower’s brother has said the journo hated the "material American occupation" and Iranian influence in Iraq. There were protests against his detention on Tuesday.

Prez Bush, when asked by Candy Crowley abt the incident said "I didn't have much time to reflect on anything, I was ducking and dodging." He said the journalist was "looking for notoriety" and that authorities shouldn't "overact" in their treatment of him.

In News of the Weird, Burger King has a holiday gift idea for meat-lovers. They’ve created a fragrance called “Flame”, a “seductive” body spray with a hint of flame-broiled meat”, just for men. So gals, next time you want a burger, just spritz some on your man and have some fries. See u tonight!

Filed under: Penny Manis • The Buzz
  1. Marilyn

It's a little late in the day for the Fed to regulate credit card companies!Nobody has ever been able to regulate them, there are always loopholes. I think the "Fed" needs regulators for themselves.

Any man who thinks he can entice a woman by smelling of meat is an idiot! The only things he'll attrack are "dogs"!

December 17, 2008 at 2:01 pm |
  2. Sue, Billerica

I agree P-E Barack Obama is a transformational figure, in many ways. For one we once again have a scholar like Bill Clinton in the Presidency rather than a cowboy like George Bush, and it shows that American democracy is constantly evolving to right past wrongs like racism, and as Condi Rice recently noted in an interview, the inequalities in this nation are not about the color of anyone's skin but about inequality of educational opportunities, and we see that with the advantages of great education, we all can be come anything we put our hearts and hard work into.

As for the shoe thrower, I agree with President Bush and hope he more urgently notes to Iraqi officials to not overreact for I think they already beat him in a tortuous way from the screams heard during his drag out and from the other room for many minutes afterwards, and there is no real democracy if police and government security officers beat citizens when they arrest them... one guy who held the guy down looked to me like someone just looking to beat on anyone, probably missing it from the good ol Iraqi days of Sadam... we need to NOT encourage that and I am very impressed and pleased that President Bush urged them not to overreact. I think they should pardon this guy and open the lines of communication for healing those like him who lost loved ones, were captured themselves and in his case by both sides, for he is probably suffering from post traumatic stress as many there are.

December 17, 2008 at 1:53 pm |
  3. Fay, CA

I can't imagine who else Time would've chosen for Person of the Year–you don't have to support Obama to recognize the enormous impact and significance of his historic campaign.

December 17, 2008 at 1:30 pm |
  4. Joanne, Solvay, NY

P-E Obama is the right choice. He spoke honestly and consistently throughout a rigorous campaign. Most of all, he gave America back its ability to "hope" for a better future. The promise of the repeal of NAFTA, the plain talk, and brilliant picks for his cabinet are some of the reasons he deserves the honor of TIme Magazine's Person of the Year.

December 17, 2008 at 12:46 pm |
  5. Sue

He has not started his presidential term as yet, however the mere election of a black president, speaks volumes about a change in the ideologies and practices in US politics. As many of you should know.... until now a black president in the US was unheard of.
    Everyone needs to be a less critical and more optimistic.

December 17, 2008 at 12:35 pm |
  6. Bev C.

Good choice Time. Even though he is still the PE, Obama has done more now than Bush has done in his eight years to begin to turn this country in the right direction. Looking forward to the next four years (and hopefully eight).

The scary thing is someone will buy this perfume for his/her significant other, or wear it themselves. Uck!

I agree with Betty Ann – Palin shouldn't be on this list – for a multitude of reasons.

Town of jTonawawanda NY

December 17, 2008 at 12:13 pm |
  7. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Hi Penny!
    I do agree with time magazine's list with the exception of Sarah Palin. Anyone who kills defenseless animals just for "fun" should never be a person of the year. . . or a noble peace prize nominee.
    I hope I don't get hit on by a man wearing Flamebroil Grill fragrance, or rather smell. Although, I'll bet that goes over well here in Texas. Lots of rednecks. Maybe the first dude of Alaska will wear it.
    "W" 's interview with Candy Crowley was very interesting. I especially pondered the part where Pres. Bush decided to keep the war going because so many American soldiers had lost their lives. What? So we kill more of them to make it right? What is he snorting?
    He really is good at dodging, huh? Practice from those bullets in Texas? 😉
    Thanks for your morning blog. I enjoyed!
    XO

December 17, 2008 at 12:04 pm |
  8. jrq la habra CA

Flame? Are you kidding? Um, I wonder if it comes in 'Real Mexican food smells?

All kidding aside, Our very brave Soldiers and their families should be on that cover. They live on little and have a proven track record.

December 17, 2008 at 11:34 am |
  9. Jennifer

I just need to disagree with both Cindy and Heather.

I do believe that Obama deserves the title "transformational figure". His entire campaign was not about what HE can do for us, but what we all need to work together on. I agree that he is no Messiah, nor should anyone treat him as such, but. . . He has instilled hope into people that had it disappear during the past eight years. People that I know, that have given up on politics, are now paying attention and wondering wthat they themselves can do to make a difference. Small groups of people are gathering all across the nation to see what ideas they can come up with. To me that says that he is a "transformational figure".

Regarding Heather's comment about the "office of the president-elect": If he would stay quiet and not say what he is working on to prepare for the first day in office, people would complain about that, too.

December 17, 2008 at 11:18 am |
  10. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

In order for the Burger King "Flame" fragrance to be realistic, should it not only have the hint of flame-broiled meat but beer also?

I'm going out to buy some right now! Ha!

December 17, 2008 at 10:46 am |
  11. Heather,ca

Im with Cindy on Obama. I think Credit Card companies(banks)should have to honor the terms of the credit card agreement we sign and they approve. If you dont pay then your apr should go up but not when they want.
    I just dont understand why Obama has to have a presser for every new cabinet post. Whats with the "From the Office of the President-Elect" No other Pres-Elect has ever done that. He's not even President yet. Its really tacky and tasteless.

I think they should stick to burgers and fries. Grrrosss!

December 17, 2008 at 10:31 am |
  12. Larry in Houston, Texas

Smart choice for OBAMA to name Vilsack.....Smart choice for Time Mag to name P-E OBAMA.........As for Prez BUSH, he's worthless, as everyone in his cabinet is, also......If the American People took the Election Seriously in 2004, Bush would not have had a 2nd Term....I honestly know way too many people that didn't care to Vote in 2004, or they said it didn't matter to them, who got IN......They have all now said......They WILL VOTE from here ON !!!

And, as far as Burger King goes........GO Burger King !!
    If it sells, Go For It !!

Larry C
    Houston, TEXAS

December 17, 2008 at 9:51 am |
  13. Michelle

I agree with Time magazine 100 percent. PE Obama has transformed
    politics and inspired millions to get involved in politics in their living
    rooms and online. The other day data was released that showed
    61.1 percent of Americans voted, that is 131 million people. The art,
    music, media and merchandise created with his image that is selling
    like crazy.

December 17, 2008 at 9:36 am |
  14. Presley

I agree 110% with Time's choice. The "transformational figure" that is Barack Obama in one night recreated the global image of this country.
    The world cheered with us and that was amazing.

I can't believe you posted about the BK dude. ahahahahaha....
    But he's really really creepy and looks like he lost his Mardi Gras parade group.
    And Eau de Beouf just sounds nasty.

Have a Good Day Penny.
    XXO♥

December 17, 2008 at 9:34 am |
  15. Aly

@Cindy: Barack Obama started from being a virtual unknown to becoming the President-elect in less than 2 years against theodds.

This election has inspired many people.

December 17, 2008 at 9:28 am |
  16. Annie Kate

I can think of a lot of things it would be nice for a man to smell like but a hamburger is not one of them. Nor do I think it would be seductive.

I'm glad the Fed is going to regulate the credit card companies on rate hikes. One of the cards I had a few years ago had a really good rate on it and we changed our address from a post office box to our street address – no move was done. The company raised our rate (doubled it) because they said we had moved and that was what they did when people moved. Even after I explained what actually was going on they would not lower the rate back down again; they said that rate was no longer available. I took my business elsewhere and wrote them a nasty letter to make myself feel a little better but I would have rather had the old interest rate back.

Good for Obama to have a cabinet of people who are intelligent, have a record of high accomplishment, and can play basketball too – being able to relieve the stress of the job is important for everyone's mental health and it sounds like Obama has it covered.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

December 17, 2008 at 9:22 am |
  17. Cindy

I don't see how Time magazine can call Obama a "transformational figure" when the man hasn't even gotten into office and done anything yet. It's like he's the Messiah or something and is going to heal the world! PLEASE...he hasn't done anything what so ever to be given that title!

It's incredible that they can now do a full face transplant. Who would have imagined that? I'll be looking forward to seeing what she looks like and how she does on into the future.

OMG...the Burger King "Flame"...now that's just gross! Who would wear that!? YUCK!!

Cindy...Ga.