December 16th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/16/08

Tonight on AC360°, the biggest Wall Street scam ever and why the SEC chairman is "gravely concerned by the apparent multiple failures" in its dealings with Bernard Madoff. How did the so-called "Sheriff of Wall Street" miss his alleged $50 billion scam for so many years? We're keeping them honest. Plus,  tonight's other headlines.

We'd love to hear your thoughts on the headlines.  Just scroll down and share your thoughts on tonight's stories.

But please follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book)
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica tonight. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Minou, New York City

Haha, that video reminds me of my pomeranian going after my friend's huge boxer. beware of the lil ones!

December 16, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  2. Naissa, Texas

Biden's dog has blue eyes like Anderson! 🙂

December 16, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  3. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Tuesday's Shot. I guess that's the small and tall of it ..as far as dogs go. Night all

December 16, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  4. EJ (USA)

Well said Donna Heuman!

December 16, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  5. Brett Perry

Shepards are a great breed. I own both a boxer and a pitbull and they're both great dogs.
    Brett

December 16, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  6. Don, WA

The VP dog pick does'nt seem as "complicated" as the presidents does it. Good Choice VP!

December 16, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  7. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Ashley...you aren't the only one who didn't believe it!

I was gonna say...it looks like the small dog is inciting the fight with the German shepherd!

Goodnight Anderson, Randi and bloggers....great show and discussion tonight! Have a great night!!!

December 16, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  8. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Puppy News and a poll! Oh boy! America is sure into puppies aren't they. I know that I've been addicted to all the LIVE puppy cams that are popping up as of late.

Great discussions tonight! Nite all!

December 16, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  9. Bea

Shelter dogs can be very difficult because of their abuse histories. Re Biden I can understand not wanting to make your dog a federal case.

December 16, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  10. Mike, Syracuse NY

Ashley G. Who else would you thank for a free press in Iraq if not Bush? It didn't happnen by accident.

December 16, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  11. Minou, New York City

Brandi: I do agree with that. that's why i wrote "sense" of closure. I don't think you can ever get over losing your child. 🙂

December 16, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  12. Donna Heuman

Caroline Kennedy is brilliant, logical, attractive, classy. Should that be held against her? Her grandmother thought she should be President;
    her father was President, and a Congressman from 1946, Senator in 1952. Since when should intelligence and coming from a political family be held against someone applying for Congress?

December 16, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  13. Lori from IL

Good show tonight, Anderon, Randi and all -

Glad you're ending with a puppy shot. The real news today is too depressing!

December 16, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  14. basel

This shoe is the true evidence that Iraq is free. The thrower of that shoe would now be killed with his entire family if that shoe were thrown on Sadam.

As much as I disagree with Bush, but I have respect for him now. He truly changed the Iraqis from kissing the American soldiers shoes in 1991 to throwing shoes at an American president and stay alive to talk about it

December 16, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  15. Naissa, Texas

I love Joe Biden's little companion!

Well, goodnight everybody. Sleep tight!

Great sure Cooper and Randi! 🙂

December 16, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  16. Barbara in Culver City, CA

Hope it's not too late to chime in on Caroline Kennedy.

I am not one who is impressed by family names or family wealth. What impresses me are one's own accomplishments in life, successes, hurdles that have been overcome. Caroline Kennedy could well turn out to be an excellent senator, but what has she done to foretell that? I don't like the idea of a job many fight for just being handed to someone because of her parentage. If the voters want to choose her, that's their right, but I hope the governor will appoint someone with a fatter resume.

December 16, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  17. pati mc., camp hill, pa

good night you guys. randi, i love when you are on the show. so good to see you and your walsh piece was terrific. good show gang, thanks. someone please make sure kev does not have a concussion.; and pass the ziti !

December 16, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  18. Brett Perry

Bush's exit interview shows just how little intellect or curiosity he has. He says the intelligence was bad, but he "cherry picked" the intelligence that supported his claim and ignored all the warnings that the intelligence was wrong. His actions border on the criminal and he should definitely face a war crimes tribunal!
    Brett

December 16, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  19. Ashley Goltermann - Hamlin, NY

Congratulations to the Beat360 winners.

December 16, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  20. Candace from Canada

There is no closure when you lose a child, I can't imagine the loss, especially under the circumstances that Adam Walsh met.

December 16, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  21. Gisselle - Houston TX

Candy rocks!

December 16, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  22. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

The best part of Candy Crowley's interview with Bush is when he held her hand walking into the Oval Office. She seemed embarassed about it but I thought it was cute and she sure did get him to reminisce.

December 16, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  23. Ashley Goltermann - Hamlin, NY

...Why don't I believe President Bush when he spoke of considering stepping down?

December 16, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  24. Minou, New York City

Powder again? Didn't somebody sent powder somewhere a couple weeks ago? Copy cats! Glad the powder was nothing serious.

December 16, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  25. Genevieve M, TX

Everytime there is news about Adam Walsh, I think about how he would be as old as I am if he were still alive.

It is such a shame that the suspect is deceased, because he should have been punished for this terrible crime.

December 16, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  26. Brandi - bottom of the boot

feds cut interet rates and no one can get a loan for anything. doesnt makes much sense to me.

December 16, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  27. pati mc., camp hill, pa

it's a shame that now we are hearing this from bush, now that it is all too late, he comes out with the disclosure. great score candy. I hope we hear more of this interview.

December 16, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  28. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I am so jealous of Candy Crowley...getting to do that interview! I bet it was fascinating.

December 16, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  29. Ken in NC

The people of Iraq do not realize the freedoms they have now with Saddam out of power. If that reporter had thrown his shoes with Saddam in power, he and maybe his entire family would be dead by now.

I was not a supporter of going to war over there but will admit that they do have freedoms now that they could not even dream of under Saddam.

December 16, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  30. Clyde

Congratulations to Candy Crowly for getting this interview. However, I am so OVER George Bush I simply don't care what he has to say. I wonder if he has finally grown up.

December 16, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  31. Naissa, Texas

Candy Crowley is freaking awesome! I love her voice.

December 16, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  32. Ron In TX.

Anderson, I am so glad the Walsh case has come to a close. My late father worked on the case as the lead finger print expert, and spoke often to me about the case and how hard it was to solve. I know he would be please that it is finally over.

December 16, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  33. Renee

Toobin and Anderson seem in shock and awe over Caroline's lack of experience. Maybe, just maybe, we should all be reminded that Obama's greatest accomplishment was community organizer. Was anyone questioning that experience? I don't think so.

December 16, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  34. Minou, New York City

Percy: Arnold Schwarzenegger is an excellent business man. He didn't get to where is just with his muscles.

December 16, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  35. Brandi - bottom of the boot

@minou, it is, and you never get closure, i think the word closure is just something people use because there really arent any other words to describe the immense pain.

December 16, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  36. Ashley Goltermann - Hamlin, NY

Tom F: That was my point. Although I wouldn't go as far as to say 'Thanks to President Bush.' The journalist was throwing the shoe because his family had been killed. I'm pretty sure I'd be throwing a couple shoes too.

December 16, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  37. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

"Losing your child is probably the worst thing that you can experience."

It definitely is the worst thing one can experience in life.

December 16, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  38. Don, WA

"Here I am talking to a free democracy and this guy throws a shoe" – and my secret service, turns out, won't even take a shoe for me!

December 16, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  39. Aaegie, Toronto, Canada

If Caroline Kennedy wants to be a senator she should run for the seat in 2010.

The reason the rest of the world admires America is because you can be a nobody, work hard and you will achieve and attain great heights just like Barrack Obama. An accident of birth into priviledge family should not give her automatic rights to the senate.

December 16, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  40. stephen Webb

I don't think Jesse Jackson Jr was "surprised" , as much as he was "dependent" on the Governor for the Senate seat! I mean an Illinois Congressman can't appoint himself the Senate seat, that the Governors job! So Jackson was and is correct in his disappointment of and in the Governor!

December 16, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  41. Percy

What experience did the current governor of California have when he was elected governor? How about the former governor Jesse Ventura? their only experience was in body building.

December 16, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  42. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, WA)

Randi Kaye,
    They touch my heart...... I am so sad for them........ they cried so much lost their son Adam........ it took me so emotion for them.....
    I hope they will be alright and move on without their son Adam.....
    Yes, Caroline will be next Senator from NY....... That will be good.....

December 16, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  43. Minou, New York City

I'm glad Mr Walsh has a sense of closure now. Losing your child is probably the worst thing that you can experience.

December 16, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  44. LisaL - Canada

Well, there is something to be said for closure.

John Walsh has been a pillar of strength and hope for a lot of parents and families for a lot of years. I hope he has a chance to grieve, and feel the strength and comfort of everyone else who must be thinking about hi and his family now.

December 16, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  45. Rikki, Fargo, ND

My prayers go out to the Walsh family. They finally get the knowledge that they need...I'm not sure closure is the right word I actually don't believe there is any such thing as closure...it doesn't exist...Adam is always going to be gone.

December 16, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  46. David, Indiana

Caroline Kennedy strikes me as being well informed, thoughtful, somehow qualified. Given that, I would guess that Governor Patterson would be thinking of who best can represent the people of New York. Who has their confidence, trust, and respect so that they can talk to that person when he or she is in the Senate. Apparently their are lots of choices.

I disagree w/Joe Johns. There are citizen legistators. Lots of people go into government from other careers, professions.

December 16, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  47. Brandi - bottom of the boot

it is apparent to me that their pain from the beginning of this tragedy has never waned. what a beautiful boy. the Walsh's are amazing in every way.

December 16, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  48. Anthony

Its about time they solve this crime

December 16, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  49. Tom F

The shoe throwing incident actually backfired. He was trying to show that Bush was a tyrant for invading and deposing Saddam, but had he thrown a shoe at Saddam he would not have survived the experience.

His protest underlines the liberty that Iraqis now enjoy, thanks to President Bush.

December 16, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  50. Naissa, Texas

God, that man is disgusting. I hope he is in hell. Sorry, I know that may be a bad word around here.

December 16, 2008 at 10:44 pm |