December 16th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/16/08

Tonight on AC360°, the biggest Wall Street scam ever and why the SEC chairman is "gravely concerned by the apparent multiple failures" in its dealings with Bernard Madoff. How did the so-called "Sheriff of Wall Street" miss his alleged $50 billion scam for so many years? We're keeping them honest. Plus,  tonight's other headlines.

We'd love to hear your thoughts on the headlines.  Just scroll down and share your thoughts on tonight's stories.

But please follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book)
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica tonight. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

I too remember the day this (Adam Walsh) crime started. The country kind of took a personal, first-person ownership of the case. I'm certain many, many people are feeling the Walsh's pain and sorrow today–I know I am.

December 16, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  2. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Hi Randi Kaye. I really feel for John Walsh. I hope he knows just how many people appreciate his life's work of catching criminals. He's one remarkable man.

December 16, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  3. Amy

To me there is little difference between career politican and someone who has worked in the community raising funds- neither experiences allow a Senator to walk in the shoes of the majority of people they represent.
    Someone earlier asked for meritocracy- and I agree.
    I would love to see a Senator with real world work experience (run a business, employee people etc)

December 16, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  4. Bea

Hurray. Good Police finally get someone appreciating their hard openly. Good for Walsh for saying that.

December 16, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  5. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

@David, Indiana: I only said "fishy" because Jesse Jackson Jr. did seem surprised by the whole Blago scandal during his press conference and yet if he was indeed an informant, it shouldn't have been a surprise. Let's face it, until we start to get more facts about Blago and his corruption charges, it's all speculation at this point.

December 16, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  6. Ashley Goltermann - Hamlin, NY

Lorie Ann: Thank you!! Sometimes it feels like the only way you're going to get anywhere in this world is if you're born with a silver spoon or the same last name of the spoon company.

December 16, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  7. Karen, Lincoln NE

Wait a second, a minute ago everyone was complaining that Caroline Kennedy had no political experience, and why should she get in and the next I was hearing, "why do these positions always go to politicians?" and " there are no citizen legislators anymore". Well, by definition, *isn't* that would CK would be? I mean, OK, maybe there aren't any middle class citizen legislators, because it's just too damn expensive, but even if she is rich, even if she comes from a family of politicians, didn't you guys just describe a non-politician in Caroline Kennedy?

December 16, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  8. Steve

Lets not be to hasty to judge Mrs Kennedy....... she doesn't have a lot of experience, BUT at least she hasn't been corrupted by government... Maybe we need someone from the outside, who is moved by true conviction rather than crooked government..... Everybody that seems to move up the political ladder seem to be corrupted by the time the reach the congress.....

Steve, NC

December 16, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  9. Bea

On Caroline, here we go folks. This is why we get kicked in the teeth by politicans. We celebrate them and make them into something they aren't. The honest folks aren't packaged enough for us.

December 16, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  10. Candace from Canada

God Bless John Walsh and his family.

I hope they find what ever they can in today's announcement to find peace with their loss.

December 16, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  11. Renee

@ Steven S: Thank you, reading my mind!

@ Jo Ann: Other than Toobin's 2 favorites who else is on the list besides the Nanny. Maybe Lou Dobb's will put his name in the hat!

December 16, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  12. Tom F

While I am a conservative, and no fan of the Kennedys, I think that Caroline Kennedy would be a good choice to fill HRC's Senate seat.

According to "The Federalist Papers", the Senate was based on the notion that even in an equal society, there would always be a sort of natural aristocracy. The Kennedys certainly fit the bill, and New Yorkers tend to elect liberals like Kennedy. She would serve them well.

December 16, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  13. sam

What is wrong with having a special election to elect a replacement senator. Why rely on the governor to appoint someone, opening the door to the influence of politics? Let's amend our state constitution to insure that our elected representatives are actually elected?

December 16, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  14. EJ (USA)

Caroline Kennedy's name sure does create a lot of buzz & controversy. The media should at least like that.

December 16, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  15. Mike, Syracuse NY

"Someone should remind Caroline Kennedy that the senate is not the House of Lords."
    Great point Jo Ann. This sounds EXACTLY like an inherited right, not democracy.

December 16, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  16. Vanessa, Silver Spring Maryland

I watched The View this morning and had the same reaction as Anderson just did about EH's non invite to the White House Dinner.

December 16, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  17. Brett Perry

Caroline Kennedy as a senator? I don't think so. She has noooo experience and would only represent the higher income constituents. I say grab the first homeless person you come across and appoint them. It's about time we take back our government.
    Brett

December 16, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  18. Ashley Goltermann - Hamlin, NY

I don't condone anyone throwing anything at our President, but I have to admit: isn't that freedom of speech working in a country that didn't used to possess it?

December 16, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  19. Martina

I am so glad that Walsh finally has closure. HIm and his wife deserved this. 27 years unheard of. I dont think I could have done the time, with a bumbling police dept.

December 16, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  20. Maureen T

Anderson, you're allowed to go off topic from time to time! You are only human! 🙂

December 16, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  21. pati mc., camp hill, pa

anderson, jeff, joe and david, great discussion. anderson, you are hilarious. just saying.

randi – can't wait to see your piece on the walshes – that had to be a rough one. i cried when i watched their press conference earlier. i am just glad they have rest after all those years. adam would be 33. wow.

December 16, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  22. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I agree with Anderson. Just because you're a celeb doesn't mean we need them all in our government. I wish raising money wasn't the only thing politicans needed to do. It keeps good people out of the process. It's becoming name recognition and money only.

December 16, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  23. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

As part of naming the Senate seat, do the potential "candidates" have to be vetted? Seems to me that Gov. Paterson needs to do some vetting, especially with all the "corruption" that has been in the news as of late.

December 16, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  24. Greg, Texas

Yep you hit an ice patch and veered off topic AC but it's fun. You got everybody laughing which is what we need every now and then especially with the news that's coming up next. And tomorrow and ..

December 16, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  25. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Jeff and Anderson are right why aren't there truly qualified people on the list; why is it always politicians and celebrities or who can raise the most money?

Maybe that is why everything is in the crapper.

December 16, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  26. Steve

Before we judge Mrs Kennedy to fast.... less look at the positive..... she doesn't have a lot of experience,,,, BUT also, she hasn't been corrupted by the evils of Government..... Maybe we need some fresh minds (inspite of names) who can make decisions based on her convictions not corrupt government.....

Steve S.

December 16, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  27. sara

Delicate political lines today but strong.
    It seems like a "return to innocence " even in politics . For sure the Senate seat belongs to the providential one.

December 16, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  28. Ashley Goltermann - Hamlin, NY

Anderson Cooper – Don't you realize by now that it's usually about the last name? Some people were born with their hands out.

December 16, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  29. Brandi - bottom of the boot

i think anderson seems a little flustered. lol

he is getting very excited about this whole name recognition issue.

December 16, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  30. CurtisJo

OMG Anderson, you watch The View??? LOL 🙂

December 16, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  31. Candace from Canada

Anderson I love it when you veer off topic! 😉

December 16, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  32. Ron In TX.

David, as far as C. Kennedy getting the Senate seat, I remember during the campaign, you and others commented a lot about Bush, Clinton, Bush and a possibly of another Clinton in the White House. I for one think the time has come to end the Kennedy dynasty in the Senate. BY the way didn't Ted pass the torch to Obama.

December 16, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  33. Michelle Brown

No one ever told me what accomplishments any of the Senators have really done to impress the little folks. Any one,

At least Caroline Kennedy is honest, and not in it for fame or Fortune.

December 16, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  34. Renee

Toobin and Cooper: Turning on an educated wife and mother! She is accomplished enough. Give me a break. These 100 Senators haven't worked in years anyway! She fits right in.

December 16, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  35. pati mc., camp hill, pa

aw, jeff is hating on caroline?

look, if she proves not able to handle the seat, she will be voted out. she at least deserves a chance. she surely knows her way around politics.

December 16, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  36. Clyde

Anderson, that line of questioning addressing David Gergen about Carolyn Kennedy, was narrow-minded. At least that's how it was perceived.

December 16, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  37. Ashley Goltermann - Hamlin, NY

Imani: You don't find it convienant that this informant business came out when people were looking at him with this whole Blagoveich thing? He was only looking to *help* the corruption when he was in the hot seat. It all seems like a big scape goat to me.

December 16, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  38. David, Indiana

David Gergen, I'm not sure why Jesse Jackson Jr. hasn't previously mentioned his role w/ federal prosecuters, but it's not hard to imagine why that would be confidential.

So, Jolene, I don't know it that makes it fishy, actually, just weird like you said, I agree with that, but he may be stuck in the middle of a very delicate situation.

I'm sorry David, that wasn't your question. If something was terribly amiss w/gov of IL then he would've felt like it was his responsibility to do something.

December 16, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  39. Maureen T

Listen to David Gergen, the voice of reason, he knows of what he speaks!

December 16, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  40. randi kaye

hi everyone.. Randi Kaye here...so glad you are with us tonight! i hope you'll stick around and watch the story on Adam Walsh, the little boy murdered 27 years ago. his dad is john walsh. imagine not knowing for nearly 30 years who killed your son.now they know. i did the story tonight and it was such an emotional press conference for the family. you don't want to miss it. it's one of those cases that's gone on for so long you feel like you know them. so be sure to stick around for that story. let me know what else is on your mind.. what do you think.. should Caroline Kennedy be the next senator from NY???

December 16, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, WA)

Today I saw on CNN TV this morning, They ( The Walsh) touch my heart . they want case closed his son murdered many years ago.... My heart goes out to The Walsh family who lost their son Adam...... My thoughts and prayers with them......... also sympathy to the Walsh...... 🙁

December 16, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  42. Ken in NC

@ lynn
    I agree with you lynn. PE Obama deals with the press with a firm but fair hand and I think the press is going to have to get used to a new way of dealing with this administration when it comes to getting what they want.

December 16, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  43. Bea

Raising money with the Kennedy name is not a big deal. Try raising it with no name.

December 16, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  44. Steve

Our prayers go out to the Walsh family....

December 16, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  45. Lori from IL

The Walsh family has my sincere sympathy. Hopefully, now they will get some closure - but I agree, the pain of the loss of a loved one never goes away.

I remember the Adam Walsh story when it broke and I admire the work John Walsh has done with missing children.

December 16, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  46. LisaL - Canada

was that David Gergen at a loss for words?? oh, just a mike problem...

December 16, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  47. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

The press conference with Jack Walsh today was sad, however, I'm glad that at least he now knows the "who" part of his son's death. It's been 27 years, just goes to show that you should never give up hope.

December 16, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  48. Gina - Missouri

what qualifications does Caroline Kennedy not have to be senator?

December 16, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  49. Amy

I can't imagine the pain the Walsh family has endured. I admire Mr. Walsh's work on America's Most Wanted as a result.
    Even with today's announcement, I have to wonder if you can really have closure after something so horrific?

December 16, 2008 at 10:34 pm |