December 15th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/15/08

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/30/art.liveblog.jpg]Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on tonight's stories.

Want to know what we're covering tonight?
LINK TO EVENING BUZZ

If you want to take part in our Live Blog (and we hope you do) please follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short
(We don't have time to read a "book)
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS
(We don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica tonight.
LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: 360° Radar
  1. Scott

I don't mind Caroline Kennedy personally. She is certainly civic minded. But, she has never run for public office and she has no experience in politics. The only reason she is being put forth to replace Senator Clinton is because of her last name. Where is democracy??!! She has not been elected into this office!! Why does she deserve this position?? What has she done to deserve it other than have the last name "Kennedy"?
    This is not democracy. It is oligarchy.

December 15, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  2. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Go Caroline!

December 15, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  3. MaryBeth

To those who think Blago is innocent: have you been paying attention the last 5 or so years? Did you hear the tapes? Read the complaint? You need to join the real world.

December 15, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  4. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Jo Ann, I think you're right. I just hope they don't stop the investigation too soon and cover anything up.

December 15, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  5. Vanessa, El Paso,TX

Why would Caroline Kennedy run for Senate in NY why not run for senate from Mass? Would it be more approptiate, isn't she from and her fam. more popular in Mass?

December 15, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  6. anderson cooper

a lot of good comments tonite.. well thought out... thanks for taking part everyone... we are also going to be showing you the snl skit about ny's governor.... the gov was offended.. we'll also show you his response.

December 15, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  7. Kevin Coderre

Let Caroline earn the Senate seat the Chicago way, pay for it. Pay off Clinton's campaign debts. No free Senate thrones in New York.

December 15, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  8. Shaheen Hashmi

Bernard Madoff Story: How was he generating the returns on the hedge funds?

December 15, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  9. Trisha

Why is the governor of Illinois being asked to resign before he has an opportunity to go to court and prove whether or not he is guilty/innocent? This country is about being innocent until you are proven guilty. I don't get it – he has been charged and has not gone to court yet. (meaning not convicted) – so whats up with this picture? Hey Anderson – you should discuss the law at this point. I am puzzled by the notion that politicians are deemed guilty before they present their case --

December 15, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  10. jackie Chino Hills, CA

thank you shirley for that information. with all that being said caroline does seem qualified.

December 15, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  11. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

"W" ducking the shoes was entertaining. I appreciate his agile ability but it really was unprofessional for a journalist. Ok, as much as i dislike the last 8 years he is still our President.

December 15, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  12. elisabeth meier

to Jo Ann ... I agree, noone will really trust anyone Blago would choose

December 15, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  13. jackie Chino Hills, CA

if your own team doesn't want you, that should be a sign to go. if he stayed in office i don't think it would be that easy to go to work everyday.

December 15, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  14. Kevin Coderre

Caroline is too old to be a Princess. Let her earn the Senate seat in 2 years.

December 15, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  15. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I don't think we have seen all of the "players" in Chicagogate yet.

December 15, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  16. Justin T.

I just felt the need to say that I would want President Bush on my dodgeball team, and I am sure many others would agree. He was dodging those shoes like a champion.

December 15, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  17. cathy

Gov Blagojevitch’s is NOT Guilty. he needs his day in the court.
    People do not to see Serbian American lead a big state.
    All this done to him by people wants to help Bank of America and rich.
    he is smart and can be a GOOD president of USA.

December 15, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  18. Lori from IL

Following Gov Blago's actions over the last several years, I would be totally surprised if he did resign. He appears to live in his own little world -

His approval rating in the State of IL was lower than President Bush's approval rating and that was the beginning of November - before this latest incident.

December 15, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  19. Ron Cleary

Besides being invested in aU.S. defeat in Iraqh, what's wrong with Michael Ware, looks and sounds like he's had too much to drink or is on drugs, can't you find a better delivery for your news cast.

December 15, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  20. Maureen T

Governor Blagojevich gives the impression he is above the law!

December 15, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  21. MaryBeth

It's not like he was ever IN his office in Springfield. I don't know how you can run a state without being at the center of state politics.

December 15, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  22. Becky

Elisabeth I agree! Caroline is very charismatic, and I think that charisma will be useful in the political boys world she is looking to enter.

December 15, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  23. Kathy, Chicago

The Madigans have been after the Gov. for years.

December 15, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  24. Mike, Syracuse NY

Those saying Bush deserved the shoes for what he did to Iraq need to remember that the vast majority of Iraqi deaths were caused by other Iraqis, not the US. If you gave the Iraqis the option of having Saddam Hussein back or life that they have now, most would stick with now.

December 15, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  25. Joseph, MA

Blago should resign.

December 15, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  26. JayPee

Jon Presley, executed for throwing a shoe? Really? It's that kind of attitude that made the guy throw the show in the first place!

Yes US got rid of a bad guy, but remember that Bush's dad once employed this tyrant and gave him the weapons that enabled him to repress his own people!

Does anybody know why the US is still in Iraq and why it went there in the first place. Why isn't that in the news?

December 15, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  27. lisa

Although I am not a Bush fan, I am appalled at the shoe throwing incident. What if it were acid or a bomb? Where were the secret service?
    I am embarrased and shocked at this outragious display. It would never happen in the US. The man should get the same punishment an american would get for attacking and assulting the president in this country .I do not agree with the policies of the Bush Whitehouse, but such blatant disrespect for OUR President is incomprehensible . It makes me feel my patriotism strongly.Do not laugh at us world.Where would you be without us?

December 15, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  28. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Great report by Gary!

Who would trust anyone Blago would pick?

December 15, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  29. Gene

Look. If Sarah Palin can serve as govenor of an American state. And if she can be nominated by a major party for the second highest office in the country. Then Caroline Kennedy is certainly qualified to serve in the Senate. Besides, she can see Connecticut from where she lives.

December 15, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  30. Kevin Coderre

No way! If Caroline wants to be Senator, let her earn it in 2 years by getting out of her palace, work the streets and earn the votes of the comman man by shaking hands, kissing babies and going to all the working class towns of New York. This is not England, we have no royal family.

December 15, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  31. barry

anita, we know george knows how to duck!!!

December 15, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  32. Ozzie -Chicago-

We pay and teach them Democracy, which they're exercising and they
    don't know it. How stupid of a culture.
    Had he thrown shoes at Saddam Hussein, there would be one less
    citizen in Iraq within minutes.

December 15, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  33. Minou, New York City

I wonder what goes on in Gov Blagojevitch's head, that he doesn't find it inevitable to resign. Is he so in denial?

December 15, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  34. John Anshus

Most Americans do not have a clue as to how people from other Countries despise us due to Bush/Chenny War on Iraq. Bush is a criminal to millions and millions of people. We (America) are in a deep hole that will take years to undue the shit that Bush/Chenny has done to damage the World .... and America.

December 15, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  35. Gisselle - Houston TX

75Mil????? Goodness gracious!

See, this is what happens to rich folks without the proper legal counsel. Where was her attorney in all of this and why didn't she make him sign a prenup...oh well, too late for that now!

To think that part of my concert ticket money is going towards those proceeds, yikes!

December 15, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  36. Diane M

I'm a democratic and opposed to many of Bush's positions, but to throw shoes or anything harmful at the President is just plain wrong. Throwing up the bird and a few words of profanity would've suffice.

December 15, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  37. Shirley McLaughlin--Asheville, NC

I'm baffled that anyone would consider Caroline Kennedy "unqualified" to serve in the US Senate. She is certainly more qualified than some who are currently serving. Caroline has an impressive classical liberal arts education from Radcliffe and Harvard with emphasis in history and the arts; and a Juris Doctorate degree from Cambridge University. She passed the NY Bar exam on the first attempt; something her brother John didn't accomplish until his third try. She has written a book on the Bill of Rights and edited several other books. I bet there are currently serving senators who haven't even read the Bill of Rights.

Caroline brings extensive experience in fund raising and charity work; she is a champion of education and the arts; and she has the ability to identify with many of the mainstream concerns of average citizens.

She is immeniently well-connected and doesn't appear to have any scandals or skeletons in a closet. She obviously is not a self-seeking or publicity eager individual and values her family and privacy. Her commitment to public service is outstanding and echos the values of the Kennedy legacy

Since there are no specific qualifications for members of the Senate, how can anyone say she is not qualified?

December 15, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  38. Michelle Brown

Someone on this blog name me one thing there Senator has actually done to improve their life. Qualifications, I think most of us just go with the one that raises the most money and hope they do not screw us. However, my gut is saying there are more bad seeds then good,

December 15, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  39. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, WA)

Gummy…I like that word Anderson!!
    Maureen T,
    I agree with you too.... I like that word Gummy!!! that is good one!
    Anderson ,
    I agree with Maureen T...

December 15, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  40. jackie Chino Hills, CA

what's your background politically, besides the name?
    i'm not sure i ever really knew what she did or does...

December 15, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  41. Jackson

I think it's funny how this show and most of everyone says that this one man throwing the shoes represent how the world feels about Bush and America. For those of you, I recommend not to get into the surveying business. I would also like to point out that if Obama is so loved by the world, then it only means that he is not a threat to the wicked considering that this world is mostly wicked.

December 15, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  42. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! Happy Monday.
    Caroline Kennedy has been low key politically, though she's had a lifetime of political experience–because of who she is. To say her qualification is mainly a famous name seems a little mean-spirited. Whater happens, it's up to the NY Governor to decide.

December 15, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  43. elisabeth meier

the more I see Caroline on the screen I must say she has the charisma, this special kind of appearance, so that will definitely help her if she wont be qualified enough

December 15, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  44. Kevin from Portland, Oregon

Blagojevich: What an arrogant, pompous, SOB. His refusal to resign simply amazes me.

Anderson, I'm curious how many manufacturers have sent you free beds?

December 15, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  45. David, Indiana

President Bush has a point about the reporter expressing himself, and I do agree with Don, WA that this was unprofessional, but we have to pay attention to the distress too.

Obviously, this alleged Ponzi scheme comes at the wrong time in addition to all the economic ups and downs.

Anderson, I don't know a lot about Caroline Kennedy's career, but she's obviously a caring person and handles speaking about public issues sensibly and thoughtfully

December 15, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  46. anita parker

Is Caroline Kennedy qualified? Was George W. Bush qualified to be president? After 8 years in office he can't give us an intelligent sentence.........even when he reads what someone else wrote he can't deliver.

December 15, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  47. Rakan Ammouri

The saddening thing about every American news cast report related to the shoe throwing incident is that i haven't seen any news agency continue the man's sentence. "this is the farewell kiss, you dog. This is from the widows, orphans and those killed in Iraq".
    I completely disagree with Mr. Al- Zeidi's "method" but it sure did send the message. The truth behind the war.

December 15, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  48. Tracey - Boston

Kevin Coderre:: Caroline deserves Clinton’s Senate seat like Madoff deserves your money to invest.

I guess you don't like Caroline, eh? Harsh

December 15, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  49. RKR

CNN again seems to take sides against our Goverment.That was OUR President. Bush has had some bad decisions during his time in office, but so has many other Presidents. Stand behind your President! Remember we havent been attacked on our soil since 9/11
    and us being in the middle east is a big part of that. I voted against Obama, but I will stand proudly behind him as OUR President. CNN should not spin things as per their political beliefs if they are turely a news station. I have enjoyed CNN up until the elections started 2 yrs ago when it was clear they were pushing a politcal opinion. Hope you can change!

December 15, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  50. Andy

My first thought was that the "shoes" will be the bottom for Iraq-they will use this event to rebuild national pride and "force" the USA out- I wonder if the event was planned ?

December 15, 2008 at 10:27 pm |