December 15th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/15/08

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/30/art.liveblog.jpg]Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on tonight's stories.

Want to know what we're covering tonight?
LINK TO EVENING BUZZ

If you want to take part in our Live Blog (and we hope you do) please follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short
(We don't have time to read a "book)
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS
(We don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica tonight.
LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: 360° Radar
  1. lebga gwanvlla, boston mass

the fact of the matter is we CANNOT WIN the war on terrorism without getting the Islamic world on our side because they will always see this "war" as a war on their religion and that does not seat well with them..

December 15, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  2. Michelle Brown

Hi All

I wanted know when that guy gets out of jail, will he still have money to be considered rich. If so, that is a down right shame.

When I was 25 I worked for a company that the SEC came and shut down. I kind of wondered how the other company could be making a profit considering what they were paying us, but was not knowledgable enough to put it all togeter. Boy the company was living lavishly.
    Real shame these companies get "audited" and still no one knows whats going on. What a farce.

December 15, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  3. jackie Chino Hills, CA

i'm digging the new graphics. 🙂
    the ever changing and experimenting ac360.

December 15, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  4. Imani from Maryland

Throwing shoes at Anderson was halarious!!!!!

December 15, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  5. Joe

The shoe thrown at persident Bush incident proves that Might is not always Right. When U deal with people the wrong way they will let u know how they feel.

December 15, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  6. Sherry

What does CK lack in qualifications – intelligent, well educated, works fiercely for issues which she thinks will strengthen our country (eg NY school system), well versed in national and state policy issues, good perspective on the world from that of parent and wife, name recognition that could give her an audience with about any world leader, and so on. What does she lack – connections with lobbyists, experience with writing legislation, what else that matters so much you would not consider voting for her.

December 15, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  7. Becky

Jon, I agree that 'anyone who attempts to harm the president should be jailed' for a very long time. I'm thinking similar to the 'Broken Glass' theory of NYC Mayor Rudy Guilani...stop the seemly insignificant problems with major consequences and the larger ones will decrease.

December 15, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  8. Natasha

As an American I'm deeply insulted by this reporter's action. What really got me was the slow respond of the Secret Service. They should have acted more quickly because if that was other than a shoe the outcome would not be like it is today. I believe in free speech but this guy went too far. He should be punished for what he did.
    I believe President Bush handled the situation well. By the way President Bush not everyone hates you-I don't. I pray for you and your family. Trust God and this too shall pass.

December 15, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  9. Kevin Coderre

As a Clinton supporter who was betrayed by the Kennedy's, I say no way. I would rather see Madoff, Rudy Gulianni, Eliot Spitzer or Mickey Mouse. Caroline needs to earn a Senate seat, get dragged thru the mud and actually work for it. No free passes for traitors.

December 15, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  10. Chijioke

The Journalist who threw his shoe at President Bush has to count himself luck Saddam is not there anymore

December 15, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  11. Edye West

Yes, she's qualified and would be a great asset to the senators.

December 15, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  12. elisabeth meier

what? mr idiot will not quit? can´t he be just fired by the senate ? if not explain that please.... it cannot be true that a man in his position can simply do what he wants, get arrested and stay in his job.

December 15, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  13. Marty North

Iraqis weep with gratitude as, thanks to Bush, they pull down a statue of Hussein and stomp the visage with their shoes. Now they make a burning Bush, laud throwing shoes at the representative of their liberators, and burn their flag. No weapons of mass destruction? How about mass graves? What childishness! By the way, I am a Canadian.

December 15, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  14. Peter McCourt

Anderson when you said that people did not see humor in the Saturday Nght skit on the governor of NY I am guessing that was also true for the governor

December 15, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  15. mitchell

No. She fills that she should get the position because of her name? We don't need another Kennedy in office. Remember we still uncle Ted. !

December 15, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  16. sidney

Iraqis should be grateful to president bush for giving them the freedom to "express themselves". Unlike Bush, Saddam killed and tortured them like slaves but they never threw a word at him.

December 15, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  17. Vanessa, Silver Spring Maryland

In response to Never say Bernie again

Who is Caroline Kennedy?
    Is the Ted Kennedy’s daughter?

Caroline Kennedy is JFK's daughter. Ted Kennedy is her uncle.

December 15, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  18. Charley Bishop

Ever see a lame duck duck? Bush looked into Putin's eyes and saw his soul. He looked at an Iraqi journalist and saw his sole.

December 15, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  19. Johnny Lazaropoulos from Greece

Bush reacted well with those shoes....But i really wonder if he will have the same reaction with BULLETS...

Where the hell was the security(!!!!)
    Going to the middle east unprepared for such events....God lol
    americans wake up already!!

December 15, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  20. Dan

Gee... I didn't know the Iraqi people hated the U.S. A. so much. We gave them a trillion dollars in military support and 4,300 of our children....and that is the respect they have for us? If I was Bush...I'd tell the troops to pack their bags. As Blagojevich would say....F*** em'

December 15, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  21. David Berg

This was very poor journalism. The shoe thrower was a former Saddam Hussein supporter. He was complaining about the loss of life of innocent civilians? The interviewer only reported radical opinions from a street demonstration. His conclusions that these represent half of Iraq lacks intellectual honesty. The peaceful cooperation of the Iraqi people in destroying radical control is evidence of the inaccuracy of this report.

December 15, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  22. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, WA)

Who is Caroline Kennedy?
    Is the Ted Kennedy’s daughter?
    Caroline Kennedy is late of father John F. Kennedy and Ted is her niece.....

December 15, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  23. Jane Young, Windsor, CA

Madoff has the perfect last name for this scam, considering he made off with all that $$$. What a jerk.

December 15, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  24. Shamere Davis

I think that with everyone rallying behind the " Shoe Beast", this shows us that we dont need to be in Iraq. They displayed the ultimate disrespect by burning our flag. Although its not the mindset of everyone, it is a large amount supporting those actions.

December 15, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  25. Stacy in Texas

I'm not a huge fan of our president, but I don't appreciate him being physically assaulted. Free speech involves words not hurling shoes at someone's head.

December 15, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  26. brian krajci

President's Bush's shoe incident reminded me of some kind of Marx Brother movie. Was it choreographed? How do you spell that? Anyway I am sure the Buddhist Gods are watching out for him, since niether shoe hit him. I think the President of the U. S. is the hardest job in the world, so I can't condemn President Bush and I also understand the shoe thrower. America has got to change a little bit.

December 15, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  27. jamie crum

Just because your Dad was President or your last name is "Kennedy," should not be the qualifing factor to become a US Senator just by raising your hand and saying "pick-me! pick-me!"

December 15, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  28. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Never Say Bernie Again....Caroline Kennedy is Former President John F. Kennedy's daughter

December 15, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  29. Todd Kennedy

I think that if a U.S. reporter threw a shoe at an elected official of Iraq the story would be diffrent. I believe they woud call for the imprisonment of that reporter, that being said If they don't like us that much we president elect Obama should pull out of Iraq and stop supporting terrorist with our tax dollars. I t is a shame we help countries and they disrespect us and we do nothing about it . It is time we said enough is enough ,if you want to be ignorant and rebellious then do not expectr any support from our country. We need to focus on our people and our economy invest our money into our country. It is a swast of tax payer money to support other contries that hate us. I am sick intired of our ignorant elected officials being influenced by monatary gain instead of the peoples wishes and disires. Enough is Enough. Shape up or ship out. Period.

December 15, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  30. Deepa Pulianda

President Bush, again, lost an oppertunity to ask the reporter who threw shoes at him, what would have happened to him AND his entire family if Saddam Hussain had been standing in his spot. It is because of america and the allied troops that they even have this freedom.

Bush's inability to grasp the enormity of the situation and to respond appropriatly again left America humiliated.

December 15, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  31. Brandi - bottom of the boot

this $50 billion dollar scam is really scary. im really upset that no one caught on to this sooner. so many people affected by this.

December 15, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  32. debbie clarke

oooooooooh my goodness that dirty shoe that went straight for bush's head that's the best thing i have ever seen and i am an American after what you did to this great country wow thats great
    debbie ......from the sunshine state

December 15, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  33. Maureen T

Gummy...I like that word Anderson!!

December 15, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  34. Greg, Texas

Wow that Ponzi scheme kind of sounds like what happened to our economy .. $$ going out, no $$ coming in

December 15, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, WA)

What was he thinking???? he is big trouble right now…….. he is big scam people…. that is not right to scam people. Madoff will be landed jail right now.... we lost $50 million..... Ouch!

December 15, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  36. Shawn Wright

Finally! Someone outraged enough to have the courage to stand up
    against this Bush/ Cheney regime and do what some Americans have felt like doing for the past 8 years. Some of us are sick to death of the deceit and the deceptive manipulation that the Bush/Cheney regime have gotten away with!

December 15, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  37. john

Too bad the journalist missed Bush. I can't wait for him to leave office.
    John
    Placentia, Ca.

38. Janine from PA.

With Sen. Edward Kennedy's days numbered as a senator with his illness, I think the family wants to make sure that the Kennedy name is in DC. I knew other Kennedy's are in congress but to be from New York would be a big achievement. Is she qualified? Was Sen. Clinton qualified? Is Al Franken qualified? Really won't know unless they serve I would say.

39. David Thibodeaux

I worked in Iraq the last 3.5 Years and thought it was getting better. Now I'm home and see a shoe flying at our presedent and our flag being burned after all we did and are still doing for that country. I say we pull out and let it fall apart. I wish our country would worry more about it's own problems.

40. John McAuliff

It is rude to throw a shoe. It is even ruder to illegally invade a country, lie about your reasons, suspend habeas corpus, and sanction torture not to mention produce hundreds of thousands of deaths and millions of refugees.

The hardest thing for any nation to do is to admit it was wrong, apologize and make recompense when it is not defeated and occupied. Even with Obama, I don't think we are ready to do that.

41. MaryBeth

Richard Martin: The Iraqis didn't ask us to go there. We are an occupying force, not a liberating one. Our troops wouldn't be sacrificing if it weren't for Bush's need for revenge on Saddam Hussein.

42. Terri

If you are going to show how many people hate Bush, you should always at the same time tell how many are grateful for his getting rid of the dictator and previous way of life.

Also, how could you not mention how many Americans have died to fight for the Iraqi people? Many of them believe they are helping the Iraqis.

43. elisabeth meier

What did Caroline work on in politics so far? I thought she would never ever come along for a job with so much attention and publicity for her, especially not after her brother died, What else than her family qualifies her?

44. Arooj Syed

Hey Anderson,

Are you going to talk about the shoe throwing incident today? This is what you get when you throw millions of people in the perils of war and cause a global economic meltdown. Bush tried to joke his way out of this but this one will not go away.

Regards,
    Arooj Syed

45. Kevin Coderre

Caroline deserves Clinton's Senate seat like Madoff deserves your money to invest.

46. Candace from Canada

HOW does someone get away with a SCAM like that?! I am totally shocked!
    Do super wealthy people just become insatiable to get more money?
    Or do they do it just to see if they can get away with it?

The levels of greed coming to light never ceases to amaze me!

Shocking!

47. Lori from IL

While some people may be saying PE Obama isn't saying enough about his team's involvement with Gov. Blago, they should know from Obama's press conference today, that he was ready to release a detailed report and Atty. Fitzgerald asked that he wait a week to do so. From what I've seen PE Obama is trying to live up to his promise of transperancy - but this is an onging investigation and he's cooperating with Fitzgerald's office.

48. Kevin from Portland, Oregon

Anderson and bloggers,

Caroline Kennedy has the DNA and the respect to be a good Senator.

Regarding the new graphics and format: I LIKE IT! I'm very glad that there is no more crawl at the bottom of the screen. Crawls are very annoying and distracting. The new format looks clean and much less cluttered.

49. Joseph, MA

Hi everyone,

I don't think Caroline Kennedy is qualified. She has not done anything yet.

AC: I am tired of the criticism on P.E. Obama. What has he done wrong? Why keep criticizing him and trying to connect him to the Blago scandal every night? He presented his energy and environment team today but the media is only interested in the scandal. I am disappointed with the obsession on sensationalize things. May be it is necessary for the rating. sad, sad, sad.

50. Frank - Des Moines, IA

What kind of message does it send to the U.S. when an Iraqi reporter is being praised by his own people for throwing a shoe at our President (the very same president who has an extremely low approval rating by the citizens of our nation?) Maybe it's time to face the facts that this war does need to end and we need to change the way our government operates!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8