December 15th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/15/08

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/30/art.liveblog.jpg]Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on tonight's stories.

Want to know what we're covering tonight?
LINK TO EVENING BUZZ

If you want to take part in our Live Blog (and we hope you do) please follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short
(We don't have time to read a "book)
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS
(We don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica tonight.
LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: 360° Radar
  1. Max

I don't know a thing about her. I don't think most people know anything about her.

December 15, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  2. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, Randi, everyone. I think the shoe throwing incident is embarrassing, glad for the humous spin, but there's a lot of pain the Iraqis are feeling...over 100,000 civilians dead, 2 million internally displaced, 2 million iraqis fled to neighboring countries. I don't know, maybe the shoe throwing is oddly appropriate, but I'm thankful the president is all right and no one was hurt.

December 15, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  3. kenny

WOW, that was a close shot for our president! But I do not understand why he did not just stay down after the first throw!

December 15, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  4. Luciano

I'm no big advocate of Bush! But he is still our President & he didn't desereve that treatment. It's sends the wrong message that anyone could disrespect our country!

December 15, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  5. Kevin From San Diego

On the shoe attack, I will probably do the same with size 81/2...

December 15, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  6. Abhijit

Good evening, greetings from India.... I think yesterdays shoegate incident has come at a apprpriate time.... I think with Obama ready to take over the reigns of USA, change couldnt have come at a better time..... !!

December 15, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  7. Ivan Sanchez

I don't blame the journalists for attacking president bush with his shoe, I stand on his side!

December 15, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  8. Joe

I feel the reporter in Iraq was expressing the feelings of the majority of the local & regional population.

December 15, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  9. Daniel Talley

It is really bad we set them free and they hate us !!!!!!!!

December 15, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  10. Yulanda

"W" is not my favorite President but he IS President. Where were the shoes when Sadam was comitting genecide?

December 15, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  11. Tracey - Boston

I would trust Caroline Kennedy hands down

December 15, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  12. Janine from PA.

To sort of quote Austin Powers, "really, who throws a shoe?" to random tasks.

December 15, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  13. GNobles Brooklyn NY

Before someone can decide whether or not she's qualified, maybe the average American should be made aware of what the qualifications are?

December 15, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  14. PATRICK PAUL

In my opinion, I think it is gross disrespect for anyone to throw their shoes at the president of the USA. President Bush represents the people of the USA. That reporter in a way threw his dirty shoes on all Americans and he should be tried and given the maximum penalty.

December 15, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  15. Minou, New York City

I loathe/abhor/despise nothing more than betrayal.
    I hope this man will get locked up in solitary for the rest of his useless life.

December 15, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  16. Maureen, Georgia

Kathy, Chicago
    I thought that it was amusing too, I can't help but laugh every time
    it's shown.

December 15, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  17. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

Oops. I forget, she would just get appointed and the people would not get to vote.

18. Frank in VA

Don't ever want to see any US President attacked on foreign soil by a foreigner. Period.

19. Kathy Simmons

Bush deserves more than shoes thrown at him for the lies and deaths he has caused-I am sorry I was not there with that reporter to throw my shoes too.

20. Anna

In regard to the leading story for tonight I have two thoughts–
    1) Throwing a shoe is not an insult in MUSLIM culture as was reported, but ARAB culture. There is an actual distinction
    2) Bush's reaction after the show throwing incident is only a sad reminder of why he has been such a poor president. The man didn't throw the shoe for attention, but out of frustration that his country is being ravaged and Iraqis are dying in greater numbers than we realize and Bush feels no sympathy for such a terrible human condition. If my country was mired in unending war and turmoil, I would want the man who started the war to care. And sadly, George Bush doesn't

21. Jane Young, Windsor, CA

Oh Fay, you hit the nail on the head! Priceless.

22. korrine d.

wow...u dont throw a shoe at our president and not get a trip 2 gitmo....anderson rocks....!

23. thomas shayler

the shoe guy had a pretty good arm, too bad he was'nt wearing his steel toed army boots!

24. Richard the Paralegal and Law Student

I think is is so sad that happend to our President and then they have the audacity to burn the American flag and stepped all over it, that was uncalled for, I hate Iraqians and all American should go in the streets and burn and stomped on their flag.

25. JayPee

I think it's sad that an Iraqi dares to stand up to the President of the United States ,but the Americans dare not. He shouldn't have used violance to get his opinion across, but after 5 years of war in your country, maybe that's the only method left.

And the "security" of the President was not really at risk...it was just two darn shoes!!

Nice reflexes for the President though, I'll give him that! 🙂

26. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

AC, regarding your Caroline Kennedy question. I really do not know but for sure she is educated and it seems like she wants to truly help people and the country so her heart is in the right place. Given what we have seen from some politicians these days, I think they should give her a chance and then let the people speak via their vote.

27. Gina - Missouri

I think Caroline Kennedy would be a great Senator.

28. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Daisy, Houston, That is exactly how I feel. As long as you have a famous name anything and everything is possible whether you are qualified or not.

29. Daniel, Woodbridge, NJ

I don't have an opinion about Caroline Kennedy one way or the other. She hasn't ever held a political position, so there's really no way to tell if she'll be a good senator or not. But of course, having the name Kennedy certainly isn't hurting her.

30. Sharon

I think it's disgraceful and disgusting that anyone would think that guy who threw his shoes at President Bush was in anyway funny or that they agree with what he did. . Would it be just as funny if he would have thrown them at Obama? Where is respect for fellow humans. I say we get out of their country and then see if they are glad that we left.

31. Vanessa, Silver Spring Maryland

Brandi – bottom of the boot I agree. I adore Michael Ware too. The shoe thing makes me a little nervous about the security team, especially when Obama comes into office.

32. Ross

I don't support President Bush in his politics but I fully support his good humor and cat-like reflexes.

December 15, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  33. Sassan K. Darian

Caroline Kennedy has never supported anyone throughout her life until 2008. She has no political experience. Just say no to traitors with no experience.

December 15, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  34. MO

Good evening everyone-
    @Candance i totally agree with u i never thought she would go into politics either- and I think she is qualifed, she is a trained lawyer and worked on helping fundraise money for local schools in NY- I think she will be great.

December 15, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  35. cathy

Kennedy as Qualified if not more than as G . Bush was for run for
    the large state of TX asGovernor.

December 15, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  36. Joe Yaiullo

What an arm!! I think the NY Yankees should sign the shoe throwing reporter, their bullpen could use a closer like that.

December 15, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  37. Daniel, Woodbridge, NJ

Who knew that Bush was so quick on his feet? Really, those were some pretty impressive moves.

December 15, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  38. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Hello Bloggers: Is Caroline Kennedy qualified? Probably no more than Fran Drescher is....

December 15, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  39. Larry

Caroline Kennedy is entitled to be the junior senator from new york.

December 15, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  40. GNobles

Im glad this happened,..Not only because someone finally let off some frustrations towards Bush but also because The Secret Service were made away of how easy this attack was. The reporter got off two shoes. If he had a gun, how many would he have gotten off? Therefore Secret Service, reinvent yourself and protect our President Elect Obama!

December 15, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  41. cathy

Senators and governors appoint their family and friends to Boards and positions. Cheney did it for his Daughter. Sent Grham for his wife at Enron.
    Blagojevich announced sanction against Bank of america. Next day he was arrested.
    This what happen to progressives.
    The Governor did what all others did all the time.

December 15, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  42. Mike, Syracuse NY

Sorry, but assault is more than free speech. This isn't just an insult to Bush, it's an insult to America.

December 15, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, WA)

is there reason that security breached without knowledge problem in Baghdad???? is that way to attack President Bush without check-in?

December 15, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  44. Minou, New York City

Brandi: I whole-heartedly agree!!

December 15, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  45. MaryBeth

Hehehe...Michael Ware states its very politely, "he would not be breathing right now."

December 15, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  46. elisabeth meier

Hi everyone, good evening, don´t know if CK would be a good senator. I think it would be three times more difficult for her to leave the shadows of her uncle, father and the rest of the familiy behind her and find her own position in politics. Nevertheless she will bring NY more worldwide attention even than Hillary

December 15, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  47. Lori from IL

Good evening Anderson, Randi and fellow Bloggers.

Yes, Anderson, I believe Caroline Kennedy is qualified to be a senator. She has a law degree, has written at least two books I know of on the Bill of Rights and our right to privacy, and while she has preferred to remain out of the spotlight - she has lived a life of "civic duty."

December 15, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  48. Fay, CA

I'd feel more comfortable with Caroline Kennedy as a senator than I would've with Sarah Palin as VP.

December 15, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  49. tina

As an american who works in europe,i had to hide my identity whenever i travel to dubai thats how much bush ruined our image but since obama got elected all they talk about is obama obama.i had to give up my obama t shirt to an arab guy who was a fan.
    i feel bad for bush though,he should have stayed away from the middle east.

December 15, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  50. Lesa, TN

I didn't vote for President Bush. I haven't been a staunch supporter of President Bush. But this the one event where I can say, 'Blood is thicker than Water'. He's one of us, An American. And I didn't like the shoe throwing episode. It was totally embarrassing.

December 15, 2008 at 10:09 pm |