December 15th, 2008

And now I would be happy to take your questions and/or dodge your odorous footwear

President Bush, left, ducks a thrown shoe as Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki tries to protect him Sunday.

Jack Gray
AC360 Associate Producer

Just call it payback for the time Helen Thomas threw her stiletto heel at Nuri al-Maliki.  As I’m sure you’ve heard by now, an Iraqi journalist threw his wingtips at President Bush in Baghdad Sunday.  Apparently the man was upset he had missed former Payless Shoes spokeswoman Star Jones’s USO tour.  Frankly, I think people should be less concerned that the president had shoes thrown at him and more concerned that he was later spotted wearing them.

Meanwhile the resignation watch continues in Illinois, where Rod “Where the #$&@ is my blow dryer?” Blagojevich remains in office.  He and his wife, Patty, had a relatively low-key weekend, meeting with advisors and mugging Salvation Army bell-ringers.  In fact, they were so low-key about it that they probably would have gone unnoticed by the press had Mrs. Blagojevich not been wearing her coat made from the fur of 101 Dalmatians.

The conventional wisdom is that there is no way Blagojevich and his bangs can hold onto his office and that he is spending his time trying to work out a deal where he trades his resignation for a lighter sentence.  That’s of course when he’s not wandering around in his bathrobe muttering, “I’ll see you in hell, Eliot Ness.”

President-elect Obama, who no doubt wishes Blagojevich would become the victim of an unfortunate hairspray mishap, will meet with his national security team today.  The meeting will begin with the Pledge of Allegiance and the customary, “um Hillary, you’re in my chair.”

Elsewhere, John McCain declined to say whether he’d support a possible 2012 presidential bid by Sarah “I’ve never met a polar bear I couldn’t gun down from a helicopter.”  Said McCain on ABC, “I can't say something like that. We've got some great other young governors.”  The senator added, “but I fully support her three-episode arc as the saucy neighbor on the new Beverly Hills 90210.”

Palin’s former rival, Vice President-elect Joe Biden has a new puppy.  Biden’s wife Jill bought him an adorable German Shepherd.  Just remember, Mr. Vice President-elect, puppies are a delight but they like to chew everything.  Especially hair plugs.

And finally, in yet another sign of the global economic downturn, there’s word from England that Queen Elizabeth II has resorted to – gasp – wearing the same outfit more than once.  Which explains why she delivered her annual Christmas message wearing track pants and a Madonna: Sticky & Sweet Tour sweatshirt.

And shoes that someone threw at her.

1. Kevin

I wonder what would have happened if Saddam was alive and a reporter threw a shoe at him? I guess Bush gave that low-life reporter a little freedom he would have never had.

December 16, 2008 at 12:02 am |
  2. clinton pitts

I strugle for words sort of disrespectful after watching this clip. No matter anyones option on bush's last 8 years , who i am sure im one of his harshes cridicts, we should show a world leader respect.

December 15, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  3. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Haha! The shoe throwing incident made me laugh...and continues to make me laugh every time I see it. President Bush's mad reflexes have been perfected in his childhood...Jeb probably threw a few things at his head! I'm only sad that the movie 'W' came out prior to this incident because it would have made a great addition to the movie! 🙂

December 15, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  4. Diego Santillan

The release of the journalist who threw the shoe to President W. Bush would strengthen the promise of Iraq's government to its people and offer us a glimpse to the future of Iraq's right for freedom of speech.

December 15, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  5. CM from Washington, DC

Why aren't more people angered that our President was almost assaulted by a reporter? Yes, I said "our" President. Our democracy elected him, just as our democracy elected President Elect Obama. If you truly respect our democracy and the Office of the President, you should be upset. If you want, stand and scream at him, but don’t throw objects at him.

December 15, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  6. peter -bronx n.y

If that's how the Iraqi people paying the U.S back for deliberating them from Saddam , we schouldn't have gone in the first place.I knew something like that would've happened, the Iraqi people are eager to let us know how they feel about us.

December 15, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  7. Harris from NYC

It is sad... but true!
    The shoe was not thrown just to W.Bush... but to all of us Americans who have democraticlly voted for our "Commander in Chief " and voted not just once but... twice in a row!
    Well deserved!
    Harris NYC

December 15, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  8. Lori from IL

Jack -

Thanks for the Monday yucks!

If you lived in the greater Chicagoland area and read the Trib - you would have been treated to a full-color photo of Gov. Blago kissing foul-mouthed Patti on the front page of this morning's paper. Talk about enough to make one choke on breakfast! If you only knew half of the Gov. Blago saga - you wouldn't need flying shoes and Sarah Palin to fill your blog.

December 15, 2008 at 9:57 pm |
  9. Don, WA

Notice our president did'nt throw a shoe back? This reporter did nothing to help the progress in the middle east – is he trying to start a "Lilliput" war over which side of the egg to crack open – the small end or the large? First it's shoes...then...well you know. I guess were allready at war – but still...let's try to end it. Nice "duck and cover" though George.

December 15, 2008 at 9:43 pm |