December 12th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/12/08

We are big fans of the live blog. Anderson, Erica and the entire staff of AC360° enjoy reading your comments. We respect your opinions and love the feedback.

Keep in mind: every night we get hundreds of comments. Many get posted, many others do not because of space and time limitations. NEWS FLASH: there are other reasons. People are breaking the rules.

Here's a quick recap of the guidelines:

1. Use your real name.
2. Stay on topic.
3. We like criticism. But keep it intelligent and thoughtful, perhaps even constructive.
4. Don't write in ALL CAPS.

Yes, I know you can obey the rules and still not get posted. Refer back to "space and time limitations." Please keep trying – like I said we really do value your input. So, please scroll down and share your feedback on tonight's stories.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? READ EVENING BUZZ

Don't miss the Floor Crew Friday webcast during the commercials. WATCH THE WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. WATCH THE WEB CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

It was a good interview with Phelps. But the turtle and the Jaguar swim race? You've got courage to air that again.

December 12, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  2. Naissa, South Texas

I started crying when Michaels mom started crying.

December 12, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  3. Maureen, Georgia

Anderson you look so funny in that picture.

December 12, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  4. danny mo.

the big three was there for ww2 they bulit the tanks,planes jeeps hummers, motorcycles for the government now are they going to br bulit by Japan. i worked for gm for 31yrs. and i was told never bite the hand thant feeds you. Take the money from the banks and give it to the American autoworkers to save American jobs.
    If the government and American people keep selling out america , this won’t be America it will be Japan. The United States of Japan; i don’t like it !!!

December 12, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  5. EJ (USA)

This segment on Phelps is just wonderful! Great job Anderson – and thanks!

December 12, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  6. Bridget

i love the behind the scenes Webcast, I feel more connected to the CNN team. Great job!!

December 12, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  7. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Michael has sacrificed and worked very hard to get to where he is. He earned every penny.

December 12, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  8. Minou, New York City

I saw the 60 min piece. Phelps seems sweet. That was a good interview.

December 12, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  9. Linda

Anderson swimming with the Great White Sharks was daring but swimming agaisnt Micahel Phelps and even thinking you have some out of this world chance is incredibly daring.

December 12, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  10. Jana, Indiana

This has been fun tonight. Good night Anderson and all. Have a great weekend.

December 12, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  11. Mike

My only hope is that the US finally wakes up and starts treating Toyota as tough as they've learned to treat GM over the years. Toyota's quality is already suffering and their dealers are the pitts (#33 out of 36 manufacturers' dealers measured.) Its only a matter of time. You will most likely be #1 automaker...enjoy the crown. As GM will tell you, its very heavy....

December 12, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  12. Stacy

Okay, the Obama puppy has a run for its money in terms of cutest puppy in the administration.

December 12, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  13. Jim M

Anderson,
    Didn't swimming with the sharks teach you anything about H2O

December 12, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  14. Luis

Probably the reason you didn't swim well might have been the type of swim trunks you chose! 🙂

December 12, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  15. Mary

Michael Phelps is certainly an amazing athlete. There has to still be pressure. How does he top what he has done? He is amazing. Anderson, you were out "swimmed" but still it takes a lot of guts.

December 12, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  16. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Phelps seems like such a humble guy. It will be interesting to see how Michael handles all of this fame and fortune in the years ahead.

December 12, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  17. Clarence NM

thanks for all the news on Michael Phelps.... or should that be thanks for all the new....?

December 12, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  18. Jacqui Chan

a very relevant point we all need to consider: if the candy is indeed called starburst (no s) and if we think of it as a candy bar not individual candies then perhaps there is no S because it is a segment of a whole HOWEVER they r individually wrapped.... hmmmm

December 12, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  19. Presley

@Hannah, but but but, Starburst is a proper noun, no? It's the name of the candy.
    Great, now I want candy.
    Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. omg.....

December 12, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  20. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, WA)

Biden's puppy is so cute!!! I love puppies!!!!!

December 12, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  21. Renee Y

OMG! That puppy is too cute!

December 12, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  22. MaryBeth

That is a cute puppy!! German Shepherd, I think.

December 12, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  23. Maureen T

Anderson,
    you looked pretty fit standing there next to Michael Phelps! But what were you wearing, bloomers?! Some swim trunks would've looked better if you didn't want to wear speedos! Sorry! You look like a great swimmer though.

December 12, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  24. Emma

Anderson, maybe your swimming trunks slowed you down.

December 12, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  25. Paolo

Phelps sure showed his human side in that story. It's no easy task setting a record.

December 12, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  26. Cortez

$78 an hour give me a break the only ones that are making that amount of money is White Collar workers and those on wall street who just received 700 billion. Try $28 an hour which is only $3 dollars more than non union jobs.

December 12, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  27. Fay, CA

Actually, Anderson did pretty well in the race against Phelps–he wasn't THAT far behind Michael at the finish line–it was very impressive, the big 'ol swim trunks, not so much...

December 12, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  28. Emma

If I'm not mistaken, the Kit Kat is a single piece. Don't you have to break it to get the two sticks? Wow, I haven't had a Kit Kat in a long time.

December 12, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  29. EJ (USA)

Phelps is awesome.

December 12, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  30. Rachel

Starburst.com only say starburst but does say 'gumbursts' different sweet same company...

December 12, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  31. Naissa, South Texas

Dang! Phelps' work ethic is UNBELIEVABLE. I give him so many props!

December 12, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  32. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Phelps' workout regimen is remarkable. You should have him on the show to talk more about his "visualization" concept and his book.

December 12, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  33. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, WA)

Michael Phelps is so amazing swimmer so fast most record only 7 times row and he had 7 gold medals!!!!!
    Anderson,
    I saw you this morning the show Regis and Kelly Live!!! you were so funny!!!! I like you interview Michael Phelps! Good job for co-hosting!!!! 🙂

December 12, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  34. Clarence NM

Great lead into the 60 minutes interview... thanks for giving the preview.

December 12, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  35. Don, WA

I'm gonna go swim some laps right after the show so I can sleep tonight instead of contemplating the eternal Starburst question.

December 12, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  36. Clyde

Anderson looked rather fidgity this morning around Michael Phelps on Regis and Kelly.

Training as a olympic swimmer is like working in the hotel business.

December 12, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  37. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Yeah I could have told you that you were just making it easier for him...streamline underwater! Way faster than above water taking strokes.

December 12, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  38. Kristine

I think the spelling stays the same whether it is singular or plural just like word deer.

December 12, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  39. Hannah Marner

But Presley, you used the word "candies." That automatically renders the word "Starburst" singular!

I am so avoiding the Blago topic. He's just not worth anything more than a look of disgust.

December 12, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  40. Elizabeth Mathew

Mr.Cooper...
    did anyone think of calling the company that created this confusing candy??I personally think what u ever u can pronounce I guess

December 12, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  41. Jana, Indiana

Hey Anderson, I can't believe Michael fell asleep on you.

December 12, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  42. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, I really enjoyed this interview with Phelps. He seems like a great guy!

December 12, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  43. Jacqui Chan

from the beginning of the debate, I have felt firmly that it is indeed STARBURSTS Now that I read on this here blog that David Gergan feels the same way I do this makes me absolute in my decision -starburstS- I am fully capable of thinking for myself but I do agree with DG on most important political issues and this also being of the utmost importantce I will trust him on this aswell.

December 12, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  44. MaryBeth

LOL Poor Michael Phelps! I hope he gets to sleep soon.

December 12, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  45. Bea

How does it feel to be a "product" Michael? Hope we aren't seeing the transformation of a very decent guy.

December 12, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  46. kim-chicago

I guess starburst is kind of like Nordstom...the anti-S

December 12, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  47. Naissa, South Texas

LOL, it was hilarious when Michael fell asleep in that interview!

December 12, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  48. Mary

If the package is the starburst shouldn't the candies be starburstletts? Part of a star burst. Just saying, it's all in your perspective

December 12, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  49. Marcus Harun

I usually dont get a change to check out the blog and live webcast, normally i just watch ac360. But this was one of the funniest and most entertaining webcasts ever. All of you are awesome. great job

December 12, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  50. David, Indiana

Good point Jolene, way to stick to the issue, Blagojevich abuses the powers of his office, that's all that's on the table.

I love Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

Anderson, glad to know the floor crew is screaming at each other about this. What about the fact that starbursts are individually wrapped?

December 12, 2008 at 10:39 pm |