December 12th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/12/08

We are big fans of the live blog. Anderson, Erica and the entire staff of AC360° enjoy reading your comments. We respect your opinions and love the feedback.

Keep in mind: every night we get hundreds of comments. Many get posted, many others do not because of space and time limitations. NEWS FLASH: there are other reasons. People are breaking the rules.

Here's a quick recap of the guidelines:

1. Use your real name.
2. Stay on topic.
3. We like criticism. But keep it intelligent and thoughtful, perhaps even constructive.
4. Don't write in ALL CAPS.

Yes, I know you can obey the rules and still not get posted. Refer back to "space and time limitations." Please keep trying – like I said we really do value your input. So, please scroll down and share your feedback on tonight's stories.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? READ EVENING BUZZ

Don't miss the Floor Crew Friday webcast during the commercials. WATCH THE WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. WATCH THE WEB CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Karin in Florida

Anderson was so cute on Regis and Kelly.

December 12, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  2. Minou, New York City

Oh c'mon, you did phenomenal, Anderson! And the trunks are not thaaat bad... or at least they're better than speedos...or is it speedo?

December 12, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  3. Mike, Syracuse NY

David Gergen, the scarry thing is that Obama needs 72 hours to address this one issue, where he's not really that involved (so he says). What about when he's President and has to make a dozen life and death decisions a day? Any executive never has 100% of the info. You need to decide based on a lot less, and fast!

December 12, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  4. Naissa, South Texas

I could so take Michael Phelps. 🙂

December 12, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  5. Christie, South Carolina

Anderson, don't beat yourself up! You looked great in the water!! 🙂

December 12, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  6. Dulcie - Denver

Man, the floor crew goes nuts on the Webcast!

December 12, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  7. Liz

If I'm having candy – it's gotta have chocolate in or on it – Starburst, Starbursts – does it really matter? They don't make them in chocolate!

December 12, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  8. Clarence NM

I think Michael should race wearing his gold medals

December 12, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  9. Bea

Anderson, next time put sharks in the water. You'll swim faster.

December 12, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  10. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I think the crew should concede the candyland brouhaha to a draw. A starburst is whatever you want it to be. Shake hands and have a Milky Way Bar..Star or planet it's all good.

December 12, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  11. Mike Sullivan

Plural of "burst" is "bursts." Why would it be different for Starbursts?

December 12, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  12. Lori from IL

David Gergen,

I'm sure Obama wants to put the Blago mess behind him. Most people I know here in IL (Repubs and Dems alike) have wanted Blago gone since his first year in office. The problem is the Republicans didn't have a strong candidate in the last gov. election or I'm sure Blago would have been gone then.

December 12, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  13. ashley - willis, tx

Anderson, your feet were too far apart when you jumped in, keep your feet together. lol, that's about the only thing i remember from swimming classes, i hurt my leg from that when i dived in the first time...but i was from a higher diving board..

December 12, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  14. Dave from CT

OK, regarding the philisophical question of Starburst:
    If I have a Twizzler (personal favorite) it is a Twizzler. If I have more than one then I've just had some Twizzlers.
    Based on that, gotta go with Starbursts or play it safe & compromise with Starburst Candies...

December 12, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  15. Emily Drennan

wonder what's more surreal; swimming with sharks or racing against micahel phelps?

December 12, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  16. zap in nyc

Anderson, you could have won, if you worn a speedo!

December 12, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  17. Kristina

I really don't think that blagojevich should be labeled as insane, that's just giving him an out for being a conniving politician

December 12, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  18. Steve in Ilinois

The timing of the recent fund raiser held by the Jackson people sure looks suspicious. Prior to this, Jackson and Blago didn't have much use for each other. A lot more than coincidence at work here.

December 12, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  19. Presley

Oh for crying out loud, to pluralize Starburst you don't add the "s", Starburst is the brand name, example, "There are Starburst candies scattered on Anderson's desk."
    See?
    ♥♥♥♥♥

December 12, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  20. Lily, Connecticut

Maybe Starburst (Starbursts) originally started off as penny candy. One penny for a little square and maybe they were placed in the market in a little basket so you could pick the flavors you wanted. Now they come as more than one and they just kept the name Starburst.

December 12, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  21. Minou, New York City

The floor crew needs a hug.... I'm sending a big hug!

December 12, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  22. Shane Knox

This is my first time on this site and this blog and I'd like to thank you all for making me want some starburst(s)!

December 12, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  23. Dorothy

I love Fridays because of the Floor Crew! You guys rock!

December 12, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  24. Greg (Columbus OH)

It is starburst whether one or a "plurality." Candy is what becomes plural (i.e. Starburst candies). So tell the floor crew to eat the candies and that will keep them quiet. 🙂

December 12, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  25. Bridget

Hi David, I tend to agree with you, but not on the Obama issue. I believe there's a reason they're deliberately, it can't be that they have anything more important to deal with.

You know put together his cabinet, prepare for the economic nightmare he's inheriting, the 2+ 1 wars and finally no place to live come December

December 12, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  26. Diane - IL

@Mary Blago was first elected after the George Ryan scandal. People wanted the Republicans out. I have no idea how he got reelected. I never liked the guy. To me he's always been a bit slimy.

December 12, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  27. Stacy

@EJ: I know I am. There's no there there regarding the Obama/Blagojevich connection, but Starburst(s)? I need to know!

December 12, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  28. Naissa, South Texas

Michael Phelps swims like a mermaid.

December 12, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  29. Dulcie - Denver

Anderson, Erica, you really know how to stir up controversy. The big candy debate!!!

December 12, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  30. Jana, Indiana

Hey Anderson, don't sell yourself short. You did a GREAT job keeping up with Michael, even in your baggy swim trunks. LOL

December 12, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  31. Mary

If your family turns you in you know that you are alone in the world. How can someone do that to people.

December 12, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  32. Bea

Maybe Madoff and Blago can share a cell.

December 12, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  33. Paolo

With scams like the $50B from Madoff, I frankly don't trust these "get rich quick" schemes. I strongly believe the saying "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

December 12, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  34. Martina

I am so tired of wall street exec's! How come nobody knew? How could that be? Turned in by his own family, he made it all up? oh my goodness sounds like Amway oh I forgot they have changed their name its quixstar now...ha!

December 12, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  35. CurtisJo

Holy Mackeral (sp?)! The guy's family turned him in! He MUST be crooked!

December 12, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  36. EJ (USA)

I wonder what would have happened if Anderson actually beat Phelps.

Anderson would've received multi-million dollar endorsements.

Better luck next time Anderson!

December 12, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  37. Minou, New York City

Do that, Brandi! 🙂

December 12, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  38. Bea

Why do folks always want to get something for nothing?

December 12, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  39. Kristina

Starburts

December 12, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  40. Steve

If the Big 3 all fail, Its not the end...... the Ford, Cheverlet,Dodge, Pontiac, Chrysler etc ,,,,, will just have to start selling Toyota's
    along with the parts places...... Maybe for a good price and no unions,
    Toyota will buy out the Big 3

December 12, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  41. LisaL - Canada

literally, the floor crew is screaming at each other right now arguing about starburst or starbursts..

so, take away the "starburstses" and giv'em the "m&m'ses" instead!

December 12, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  42. Stacy

Oh, well, if David Gergen says Starbursts, that's what I'm going to have to go with too. He knows his politics and his candy!

December 12, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, WA)

LOL!!!! Ouch!!!!! oh boy!!! that is not good for people to arguing each other!!!! LOL....

December 12, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  44. ericacnn

remember back in the days of the primaries... hillary v. obama, then the campaign, obama/biden v. mccain/palin? remember the heated exchanges on this blog? multiply those by a few thousand, and you'll have an idea of the starburst "discussion" here in the studio – en fuego!

December 12, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  45. Mary

Anderson, I think that racing Michael Phelps had to be some what similar to swimming with the sharks. I applaud your pluck.

December 12, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  46. pati mc., camp hill, pa

David Gergen, you so rock! My word, he even has the correct and calm answers to the candy debate. He truly IS the greatest man! I am not surprised David. *wink, wink* XXOOXX

December 12, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  47. Emma

I believe the guest house will be available for the Obamas on January 15th. Isn't this the normal move-in date for all incoming Presidents? It's not like they're treating the Obamas any differently than other P-Es.

December 12, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  48. Brandi - bottom of the boot

minou, i have Andes (get it?) mints in my fridge, ill beam some over to ya! lol

December 12, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  49. J

I wonder what would have happened if Anderson actually beat Phelps.

December 12, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  50. Jana, Indiana

I am glad that Anderson, Erica and Floor Crew Friday are all having a great, fun filled evening. It is kind of nice after a stressful week.

December 12, 2008 at 10:31 pm |