December 12th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/12/08

We are big fans of the live blog. Anderson, Erica and the entire staff of AC360° enjoy reading your comments. We respect your opinions and love the feedback.

Keep in mind: every night we get hundreds of comments. Many get posted, many others do not because of space and time limitations. NEWS FLASH: there are other reasons. People are breaking the rules.

Here's a quick recap of the guidelines:

1. Use your real name.
2. Stay on topic.
3. We like criticism. But keep it intelligent and thoughtful, perhaps even constructive.
4. Don't write in ALL CAPS.

Yes, I know you can obey the rules and still not get posted. Refer back to "space and time limitations." Please keep trying – like I said we really do value your input. So, please scroll down and share your feedback on tonight's stories.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? READ EVENING BUZZ

Don't miss the Floor Crew Friday webcast during the commercials. WATCH THE WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. WATCH THE WEB CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Stacy

The webcast is hysterical tonight. Don't come to blows over this!

December 12, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  2. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Graduaticion? Was that it? This show is very edumacational.

I'm certain Anderson would have won if had swam under water like Michael Phelps!

December 12, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  3. David, Indiana

It's fair to ask, but I don't think votes against bailout from southern senators is local politics bias, problems w/ the big 3 can hit home everywhere. Good discussion on LKL about this. Republican opposition is based on wanting free market to work, but they have their own approach.

Having said that its hard to believe that after all that work, all those hearings, the rough questioning, raking the big 3 over the coals, that they didn't come to an agreement.

Starbursts on the table or in the package because there are lots of starbursts in a package.

December 12, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  4. Steve in Ilinois

Blago won't quit. He wants a good plea deal. He has the goods on a lot of people. Why do you think he said, " I'll have a lot to say at the appropriate time" This could go all the way up to Obama and the real estate deal with Rezko. There is always a quid pro quo in these deals. What was it in the real estate transaction?

December 12, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  5. MaryBeth

Does Michael ever come up for air?

December 12, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  6. Liz

This is class warfare at its finest – or should I say most disgusting. It's very convenient to use the UAW as a scapegoat here – and although I belong to a union, I'm not really a rah rah union person. I do see the need for them though.

However – there was hardly debate at all (relatively speaking) with the bailout of the financial sector – what's the difference? The average Joe is the one who would be most affected by this. If the big 3 collapse – I hate to even imagine what will happen.

Some of the money from the financial sector package should go to the auto industry.

December 12, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  7. Cortez

What I also dont get the UAW made concessions from health care, to retirement, and everything else. People if you all would have watched the hearings you would know this. What the southern republicans are doing is grandstanding to serve their own interest.

December 12, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  8. Minou, New York City

All that candy talk made me hungry for sweets...I don't have any!

December 12, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  9. Loren

No one wants to see the auto industry fail, but why are we treating UAW workers like they are some kind of privilaged class. CNN reported the average salary with benefits is $78/hr. There are plenty of other jobs that require more education and better skill sets making less money. This is a case for the unions committing legalized bribery. Let the workers take a 20% cut in pay along with replacing the management and the industry may survive.

December 12, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  10. David Gergen

Hello everyone - One more vote here for Starbursts! When you eat one, you call it an M&M, but if you throw back a half dozen, hey, you just ate a bunch of M&Ms... and then, unfortunately, you eat more. Same with Startbursts.

As for the Obama team coming down with a case of slows, I agree with Lori from Illinois that it is important for them to be careful and ensure they have every jot and tittle right. But my sense, Lori, is that they can get this done in a matter of hours and the fact that 72 have now passed without a definitive statement is starting to raise what I believe to be unnecessary suspicions.

The President elect is hauling out his new national security team and his economic team to Chicago early next week to for big pow wows on policy. I just have to believe they want this other story behind them by then.

December 12, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  11. J.C. Alexandres

Foreign auto-makers in USA should help to pay for the health care of retirees from the auto industry, this is a failure of the government, as they allowed them foreign companies to come and establish an unfair competence, it s so clear. Wasn't part of the american dream to be able to retire and be able to live from it?

December 12, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  12. Fay, CA

This is the first time I've ever heard of Starburst(s)-induced violence.

December 12, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  13. EJ (USA)

I think the Starburst issue fall under the same guidelines as the word
    desk … wether you have one or a room full, you still have desk ; right?

Sorry Steve, that is incorrect.

December 12, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  14. Diane - IL

I've never cared for Blago. He reminds me of a used car salesman. I don't think he's insane, just full of himself. But if it takes a diagnosis of insanity to remove him from office, then so be it.

December 12, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  15. Caritia

Great. I'm going to sleep with visions of starburst (or starbursts) flowing through my head. I say once it's out of the package it's probably something that could go either way; with or without the "s".

RE: First Family

So Rush Limbaugh war right. Barack is the Messiah. There's no room in the inn for him. Who knew?

December 12, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  16. Derrick

LOL. Gosh, guys. Slow down. Let Illinois handle their governor. You're trying to admit the guy to the mental ward. This seems more like a story for the segment "What were they thinking?" or "Stupid Criminals of the week."

December 12, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  17. xtina, chicago IL

p.s. so "Blagojeviches" is the plural of "Blagojevich", right, Anderson ?

December 12, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  18. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

I don't think Blagojevich is insane, but he definitely has issues with over abusing his "power", which could be considered as some form of mental issue I suppose.

December 12, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  19. pati mc., camp hill, pa

I am not sure I understand how no one around Blogo ever brought his obvious issues to the fore before now.

It is hard to believe that this man just suddenly went berzerk here. It is not like he did not have issues previously.

Good Luck Floor Crew, you guys are never gonna get to sleep after imbibing all of that candy at this hour. Enjoy and keep having fun. There is nothing like the Floor Crew Friday to uplift ones spirit! Love you guys! XXOOXX

December 12, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  20. Brandi - bottom of the boot

k, crew dude is over reaching big time! hilarious! lol

December 12, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  21. Naissa, South Texas

It's STARBURSTS!

December 12, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  22. Vig

David Gergen clearly seems bothered by the fact that Obama has not come out and cleared the air yet. Maybe there's too many pollutants.

December 12, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  23. Stephanie, CA

Ha Ha! – Just tuning in. Starbursts? That's silly. I agree with the plural Starbursts though.

December 12, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  24. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

This whole "insane" angle with Mr. "B" is really grasping for straws. We all have "emotional" issues of some sort. Give me a break.

December 12, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  25. danny

let the big three all fall and it will cost everyone more later, all the jobs gone nomore taxs people will feel , the parts plant will fall also, dealer ships will go also, First we were red states and blue states, now we’re north and south what is happening to us?

December 13, 2008 at 3:26 am |
  26. Christie, South Carolina

We just call one a Starburst in my house. Same goes for an M&M. I would prefer to have more than one!

December 12, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  27. Paul Henry

Is the Auto bailout given only because all the government cars are all from the Big 3???? How will service the cars when the Big 3 is gone. Are there vested interest on the government other than employment.

December 12, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  28. Milton Turner

Congress just gave away 750 billion to the banks, and the banks aren't helping anyone. Not only that, they didn't have to go through half of what the Big Three ceo's went through to get money. Take the money from the banks and give it to the American autoworkers to save American jobs.
    If the government and American people keep selling out america , this won't be America it will be Japan. The United States of Japan; i don't like it !!!

December 12, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  29. Mary

"Chicago Politician" do the people of Chicago really want the Governor tagged in that way.

December 12, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  30. Fay, CA

I can't imagine how Blago even got elected. There must have been some signs during his campaign that something just wasn't right.

December 12, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  31. Clarence NM

the governor has been in the news for a few days and suddenly he's been analyzed from what's been reported...it sounds like a ..... your guess is as good as anybody else.

December 12, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  32. Renee Y

Blagojevich is no mentally unstable he is just pure and simple: GREEDY

December 12, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  33. Em, Utah

Actually, I think if you look closely at the package you will find it says Starburst Fruit Chews. So I guess if you ask for only one you should technically be asking for a Starburst Fruit Chew and if you want more than one you should ask for a few or pack of Starburst Fruit Chews. All that aside, around here we just say I want one! Gosh can't belleve I actually looked at a pack of Starburst fruite "chews" in my pantry for this. I must have way too much time on my hands!

December 12, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  34. Edward, Boston MA

STARBURST is a brand name of the product.
    If there are several loose pieces on a table then they would be refered to as STARBURSTS.

December 12, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  35. Meg

wow, i think Blagojevich might actually have a dirtier mouth than his wife

December 12, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  36. J

Here is my diagnosis on the Blagojevich: He is suffering from an illness known as "Typicalpoliticianitis"

December 12, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  37. Emily Drennan

psychiatric condition or no, he's obviously done some very, very corrupt things lately and therefore should not still be governor.

December 12, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  38. MaryBeth

I think Blagojevich has a God-complex. It's like that line in the new Nixon movie "if the President does it, it's not illegal." I think the governor thinks the same way "if the Governor does it, it's not illegal."

December 12, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  39. Naissa, South Texas

Jolene- I don't like Starburt, either. They don't correlate well with me being a vegetarian and all.

I like Swedish Fish! 🙂

December 12, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  40. Steve

I think the Starburst issue fall under the same guidelines as the word
    desk ... wether you have one or a room full, you still have desk ; right?

"Hey, bring those (desk) or (desks) or (deskes) in the room. ans: Desk

December 12, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  41. anderson cooper

literally, the floor crew is screaming at each other right now arguing about starburst or starbursts..

December 12, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  42. Paolo

Jeff Toobin may have a point about the IL Atty. General wanting to position herself for being governor or to fill the senate seat. If this is the case, my problem with her, Quin and others who potentially will take his place is that we don't know if they are involved.

December 12, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  43. Maureen, Georgia

Blagojevich sounds insane, he doesn't think he has done anything wrong. He thinks he's above the law.

December 12, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  44. EJ (USA)

I really don’t think most people are that concerned with the Obama/Blagojevich connection.

Apparently many of us are more concerned about Starburst.

December 12, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  45. Larry

when are the auto makers and other retail manufactures going to get the picture? You can't sell a product if the consumer has no money. The credit market , the housing collapse and the unemployment rate has destroyed the consumers ability to buy anything but the basic necessities. The people who have more disposable income will not write the checks because they have no confidence about what is happening on wall street. We have to start at the bottom and give the middle class a couple of hundred dollars a month to give them some hope. Then maybe the economy will start to recover.

December 12, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  46. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I would have to say that I agree with David Gergen on this one. President Elect Obama needs to let America know to what extent his transition team has been in contact with the Governor's administration. The sooner the better...so we can put that behind and move forward.

December 12, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  47. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! Happy Friday.
    Starburst (and another starburst, and another, etc.)
    It seems the Governor in Illinois would be better off resigning–rather than fighting for something that will go nowhere. It seems a little unfair, too, to have the integrity of people like Jesse Jackson Jr.–or even Barack Obama–called into question because of the Governor's behavior.

December 13, 2008 at 3:23 am |
  48. Jana, Indiana

I was born and raised in Illinois. Kind of glad I don"t live there any longer with what is going on now.

December 12, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  49. Dan

let the oil companies bail them out they make the most profit from automotives.

December 12, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  50. Don, WA

Yuh just had to give me a starburst problem to keep me up tonight – currently I'm going with the package as a single star that bursts into pieces when you open the package – so each individual piece is just star trash – now I have to put every piece of the package in my mouth at once to get a true starburst – that'll be a fun sugar rush...Thanks CNN floor crew philosophers.

December 12, 2008 at 10:22 pm |