December 12th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/12/08

We are big fans of the live blog. Anderson, Erica and the entire staff of AC360° enjoy reading your comments. We respect your opinions and love the feedback.

Keep in mind: every night we get hundreds of comments. Many get posted, many others do not because of space and time limitations. NEWS FLASH: there are other reasons. People are breaking the rules.

Here's a quick recap of the guidelines:

1. Use your real name.
2. Stay on topic.
3. We like criticism. But keep it intelligent and thoughtful, perhaps even constructive.
4. Don't write in ALL CAPS.

Yes, I know you can obey the rules and still not get posted. Refer back to "space and time limitations." Please keep trying – like I said we really do value your input. So, please scroll down and share your feedback on tonight's stories.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? READ EVENING BUZZ

Don't miss the Floor Crew Friday webcast during the commercials. WATCH THE WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. WATCH THE WEB CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Bridget

We bailed out the banks so they could keep the money in their clique, not one penny trickled down to help the typical American. The big 3 may be incompetent but at least the money would go to help hardworking people to stay in their home, health benefits and provide for their family. Not only that, but all the people and industries that will be negatively affected if there's no bailout would be a catastrophe for our country.

If not the 3 big automakers, who should the bailout money be lent or given to?

December 12, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  2. Christie, South Carolina

Blago is completely insane! I can't believe how two faced he is. How do people like him get elected?

December 12, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  3. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, I don't think we should look to the advertising community who brought us "lite" beer for proper grammar or correct spelling.

December 12, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  4. Ron

Off course they want to see the big 3 fall, if the unions go away toyota and the other forgien manufacturers will lower their wages. Who is going stop them after so much money has been invested in bringing them to these states.I hope America is ready to work for peso's

December 12, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  5. Ken in NC

Good evening Anderson and Erica. Erica why have you declared WAR on candy?

I usually agree with David Gergen but I beg to differ in this instance. I think we should all stop and take a breath. Has anyone realized that President elect is one who does not rush into things. He is organized and skilled at what he does. I suspect that he is doing his investigating and when it is completed, soon, he will then release their findings. This way when he says something then, he will be able to respond to questions. Right now if he says anything, he may not be able to respond with an answer to follow-up questions and that will make him and his team look worse than they appear now.

December 12, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  6. vwcat

Anderson, You guys on the discussion are acting like Obama is just sitting around twiddling thumbs.
    People he needs to talk to may not be around the office and he is trying to put together an administration and deal with some serious issues facing the country. Dont' you guys think he has like a hundred appts a day and not alot of time to play detective with his hundreds of aids and staff, some of who are probably in Washington?
    I'm sorry but, you guys are making this sooooooo much bigger then it is. The gov is corrupt and crazy.
    He doesn't talk to anyone outside his circle and hasn't even talked to his Lt. Gov. in a year a half.
    I live in Il. and this guy is a piece of work. he rarely goes to Springfield.
    This guilt by assoc. and the constant trying to find something to question and stew over is really getting old.
    C'mon. You need to get past it.

December 12, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  7. Michael, New York

It doesn't suprise me the republican wouldn't support for the auto industry loan for the big 3. My feeling is the republican are just cutting their nose to spite there face, and thier face is the USA and the nose is unions. My belief is the problem is not the union but the product the big three makes. The cars are not attractive and has a stigma of breaking down. Its also not cool to drive a gm, ford and chrysler car. Their just not hip enough. With this image concious country; ( need to look hip, important, and wealthy) GM, Ford, Chrysler just don't fit the bill. So lets stop blamming the unions for every failed buisness. They didn't design the cars.

December 12, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  8. Jim

Anderson you never heard the UAW lead say anything about his layoff peole making 90 to 95% of their wages while being layoff. Now you tell me thats right. But instead they want to cut some off retired workers thats not right.

I don't think that UAW leader wants to say much and I think he should since Aerican people are going to help bail them out. And the big 3 should never gave the unions so much and they probably would n't be in this shape.

December 12, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  9. Bea

The crazy ones are not Blago and his gang but the ones who voted for him.

December 12, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, WA)

Unfit to serve?
    What that mean???? is that not fit like governor to work???

December 12, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  11. Gary

How about giving the taxpayers a huge $700 billion bailout? Maybe some of us would buy cars or houses with that money.

December 12, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  12. J

I think the Obama's should certainly be allowed a temporary guest house in Washington, so that his girls can go to their new school. However, if I were the Obama's, I would try to enjoy my life outside of Washington, while I still can.

December 12, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  13. Emily Drennan

i'm also finding myself happy that obama is taking his time responding to this whole thing. it would not look good if his team jumped to make a statement when this first came out and then had to correct themselves later if something more was revealed. they need to handle this very cautiously.

December 12, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  14. Derrick

Listening to all the press on the fact that Obama needs to come clean with this as soon as possible and respond to accusations as soon as possible sounds like we stuck in campaign mode. The election is over. He doesn't have to respond before Nov. 4th.

Jeffrey Toobin is right: there's nothing that he can say that will make the Republicans shut up. No matter what he says they'll have an issue with it.

December 12, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  15. kim-chicago

I really don't think most people are that concerned with the Obama/Blagojevich connection. It is pretty apparent that he was not getting what he wanted from the Obama team no matter who talked to him.

December 12, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  16. J.C. Alexandres

The foreign auto-makers not only receive incentive from the state and local governments, but they also receive financial help from their own country's government, no wonder why they can do so well in our country, and many anti-patriots helping them, shame on you! Stop selling american soil!

December 12, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  17. Clarence NM

Starburst....? I think I'll just enjoy some popcorns...?

December 12, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  18. chuck neidhardt lansdale, pa)

When are the politicians going to realize that the economic and auto maker troubles affect the entire country, not just the northern part? How can the UAW think that they will get along just fine by refusing to accept the cuts in salary and benefits that were requested? Can't anyone see beyond their nose to realize that we are all in this together and that we are all citizens of the same country and that changes in lifestyle have to happen? This is all just so frustrating.

December 12, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  19. Dan

The oil companies are believed to have 40 billion in profit each quarter...why not let them bail out the automotive companies..they are the ones to profit....

December 12, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  20. Loren

Anderson I am retired auto worker. These southern politicians who voted against the bail out are playing politics with our interest. . It is not hard to figure out that they are about union busting. And the fact that the majority of auto workers vote democratic. That is not rocket science.

And their PERSONALfinancial interest is towards the foreign auto manufactureres in the SOUTH.

Loren

December 12, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  21. Gordon

Regarding the bailout of US automakers. I don't believe the reps from the southern states are particularly playing favorites for the foreign auto makers in their states. As I recall, EVERY poll I've seen on public opinion shows the American public doesn't want this. Maybe these politicians are doing what the people who elected them want.
    Wow! What a concept, a politician who actually listens to their constituents. Maybe it will catch on.

December 12, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  22. Garon from Ohio Retired Ford employee

Politicians should stick up for their state's employees, but when they kill other state's employees there's the problem.

I want to see on the news exactly what a Japanese auto worker in America makes. Our wages are posted all over the press. Including health care and Vacation days off. What is their pension benefits they receive (even though no Japanese company has been here for 30 years yet). How much money does the Japanese government give to the Japanese Auto Companies in America now.

No guesstimates.

Then lets compare that to the UAW and Big Three auto worker.

December 12, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  23. Bea

Ok, so Obama satisfies the press by telling them everything he can and then Blago knows how to get his story to line up. for his best interest. The justice dept answers to Obama. Do ya think perhaps he should be concerned about saying anything to affect the case.?

December 12, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  24. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Erica: Unfortunately, I'm not a Starburst fan. My fav. is Reese's Peanut Butter cups. And each cup is individually wrapped so you call them cups when there is more than one.

December 12, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  25. Mary

How was the governor elected to begin with? He needs to be taken out of office. Where is his family? What do they have to say? JJJ needs to be Blago free. How is that done now?

December 12, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  26. Dawn Grubb

We, white color workers in Detroit blame the UAW for this mess. Not because they make more money than our southern counterparts, but because they failed to unionize the Japaniese automakers that have taken over the southern part of our country and have shipped thier profits out of (our – north and south) counrty. May god bless America, we need it now more than ever!

December 12, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  27. xtina, chicago IL

If George Costanza got the Twix bar to vend out of the machine, then broke it up into pieces, would they be "Twixes"?

December 12, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  28. Carole in Atlanta

Someone should start a list all the pros and cons of why we should help the big 3 automakers. I don't think people opposed to this really understand all the far reaching ramifications if this bridge loan does not happen–not just in this country but globally. More than just American made parts go in these cars.

Maybe AIG executives that are to get retention bonuses this year donate them to helping bailout the big 3,afterall, we bailed them out so they could still have a freaking job!

December 12, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  29. Lori from IL

I can't believe I'm actually typing this, but for once I disagree with David Gergen. I agree with Jeff Toobin. I'm happy Obama is taking his time with this, rather than rushing to make a statement and later needing to retract it. As Obama has demonstrated in his past actions, he gathers all relevent information before making a decision/taking action.

December 12, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  30. Cheri

These auto companies have known their finacial practices were not good and not successful far before today! Now it is an emergency to save them? I don't believe this. There is no need to hurry into any plan! And really there should be no government plan to save a lost company. Who really wants to buy a Chevy, Ford or Chrysler?

December 12, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  31. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Anderson, you know the sad thing......this Starburst vs. Starbursts discussion is admittedly just the sort of thing that I tend to concern myself with. Thanks to you and the floor crew for making me aware of the fact that I am not alone. Sometimes I worry about myself.

Thank you Jeff Toobin. He is the David Gergen of legal issues and I appreciate his insight. I also love the fact that he does disgruntled like no one else I know.

December 12, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  32. Naissa, South Texas

Hey I think I know why they are called 'Starburst!' Maybe the company just assumes you are going to eat them one at a time and not scatter them on a table or anything. So you're looking at the candy on it's own, making it a solitary Starburst.

Lol, okay, maybe I'm just ranting. But I tried. I should get a Beat 360 shirt for my efforts! 🙂

December 12, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  33. Donald Hubbard

It seem to me that if the automobile customers had the cash to buy new cars they would do so. . . . isn't the wrong people (the automobile industry) getting the finacial aid?

December 12, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  34. Jana, Indiana

I just don't understand why Obama or his Chief of Staff don't answer questions that people have for them.

December 12, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  35. Dulcie - Denver

Anderson, I think it's the packaging. A package of Starburst is all cohesive and organized. M&Ms are helter-skelter in the bag. But it's still ONE M&M, or a bunch of M&MS.

I don't know I'm just pitching stuff out there, Hah! I need this kind of fun tonight.

December 12, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  36. Minou, New York City

"Unfit to serve" . Ouch! Looks like he deserves it, tho.

December 12, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  37. Janine from PA.

The US car companies wouldn't have to cut their employees pay nor be in dire straits if they had long ago captured the market on cars, making them reliable and well made, energy efficient. They have been snotty over years fighting against seat belts, airbags, fuel standards. We should not be buying foreign cars like we do we should have good cars made here by US companies.

December 12, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  38. Brandi - bottom of the boot

k, anderson, stay with me here (if you can)

in the pack, starburst, out of the pack and more than one piece has an 's'.

'starburst' is the generic overall name for the type of candy which is why it is printed on the label.

ie: the crew dude had a pack of starburst (only 1 pack ie: grouping), had he opened them and spread them out on the desk, they would then be starburst*s*. 😛

–end of grammar lesson–

December 12, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  39. Emily Drennan

i think people are trying to hard to connect obama to blagojevich's unethical conduct.

December 12, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  40. Mike - Omaha

I think the gang of 35 senators who denied the big 3 a bridge loan and the public who do not support the big 3 should read the Grapes of Wrath. It is political payback to the union movement by the senators, but the issue is much bigger then they are. It is apparent that these 35 do not care about the American people. They only care about getting even, and destroying the labor movement in this country.

December 12, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  41. Jacqui Chan

ha Anderson a very news ? I think it would be plural – starbursts

December 12, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  42. Gary

In October, I wrote to my representative and senators and told them they were on a slippery slope by giving $700 billion to Wall Street. I also told them the auto industry would be asking for money and then all industries, including the railroads, the airlines and steel companies would be next. It's never going to end until industry bankrupts the government like they did to their companies.

December 12, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  43. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good Evening Anderson! Happy Friday! I think maybe you've given the starbursts question a bit much thought...though I do think they would still be Starbursts it would only become a starburst if there is only one on a table..

December 12, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  44. Mike Goin

It is unfortunate that many don’t realize where or how the labor laws that exist today were implemented. By "Unions" fighting for them! They have fought for years to have health care, eight hour work days, overtime, OSHA etc.... Get over the fact that the workers have their working conditions in writing. A contract!

December 12, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  45. EJ (USA)

Anderson, thanks for the riveting discussion on Starburst(s). It was probably the most exciting part of my day.

December 12, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  46. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, WA)

Wow Anderson! racing against Michael Phelps?! What were you thinking?! lol Good job though
    Vanessa,
    I agree with you!!! Anderson is best swimmer racer against Michael Phelps!!! But he lost to Michael....

December 12, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  47. David, Indiana

David Gergen, I think to some extent the slows are a case of learning to keep your eye on the ball, at least I was somewhat by all the breaking news about the IL governor. But I do also feel Obama is being careful.

December 12, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  48. Gerald

I wonder if the Bank Execs were part of a union, would they have been asked to cut their salaries and benefits?

December 12, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  49. ericacnn

the candy war is ON – we've been raiding the vending machines, stay tuned in the break for the friday night debate

December 12, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  50. John

Don't bail out the big three. Let them fail bailout the suppliers @ 0.80 on the dollar bust the union and let them restructure to compete with Honda and Toyota. I read an article about a family who are fifth generation GM workers. Does that mean we have to bail them out so the next five generations have jobs. Greed and imcomptence that is the bottom line of what is bringing the nation down.

December 12, 2008 at 10:16 pm |