December 9th, 2008

Morning Buzz: Is it Karma?

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/POLITICS/12/09/Obama.poll/art.barack.obama.poll.gi.jpg caption="A new CNN poll gives Barack Obama a 79 percent approval rating in the way he's handling the transition."]

Penny Manis
AC360 Senior Producer

OJ has now moved out of a Vegas jail and transferred to new digs: Nevada’s High Desert State prison. OJ was choked up in the courtroom last Friday when the judge sentenced him for his role in a Las Vegas armed robbery, he must spend at least 9 years behind bars and will be eligible for parole after 70 yrs old.

Fred Goldman had called this conviction “Some sort of Karma. And good Karma.” Do you think this is Karma- or disagree completely? Today, officials hold a press conference to provide details of OJ’s sentence structure and intake process at the new prison. Also, his co-defendants are sentenced today, each pleaded guilty and testified against OJ in return for a chance at probation instead of prison. We’ll have the latest tonight!

Congress and the WH are closer to a plan to rescue the US auto industry by providing $15 billion in emergency loans as long as companies agree to give Uncle Sam the right to closely scrutinize what they do with the $$. A Car Czar would be appointed to set up guidelines for them to reorganize and prove they can be profitable. What do you make of the latest version of this bailout?

We decided to ask Tom Foreman to look at the birth and death of the electric car in the late 90’s- auto companies took a stab at non-oil dependant vehicles but quickly scrapped those plans, some critics believe this was because it was not profitable for the auto industry and other entities. Tom will tell us more about this tonight.

You may have noticed our CNN logo is Green on our screen-we are promoting our second installment of Planet in Peril Thursday night 9p-11pet. Anderson, Sanjay and Lisa Ling flew to many exotic locales for this documentary which highlight our most pressing environmental concerns. We’re running snippets of the documentary in the show every night leading to Thursday's documentary airing.

Obama is feeling pretty green today too, he is meeting with Al Gore to talk about issues relating to energy and climate change. He believes his policies can create green jobs while making the USA more environmentally-friendly, for example, by employing folks to modernize schools to adopt more energy efficient systems and the like. Of course, there is speculation that Al Gore could join Obama’s cabinet, something both sides deny, but we’ll have an eye out for that too as they meet.

P-E Obama’s honeymoon with the US public is still going strong, our polls today show that 79% of you think Obama is doing a great job with the Transition. We'll have more of these numbers tonight. See u at 10pet!

Filed under: Penny Manis • The Buzz
  1. Fay, CA

I don't know if OJ's experiencing karma or not, but after 14 years of hearing about this case, I just wish ALL the parties involved would go away permanently and I was hoping that last night's report on 360 would be 360's last, but unfortunately it looks like there's more to come.

December 9, 2008 at 11:55 am |
  2. Sam Johnson

I agree with Cam, Karma is a little different than punishment by law of wrong doing...

I am torn over the bailout issue. I do not agree with saving companies that couldn't make it the way they did business, but I also don't want the country to go down the tubes because a few huge companies that drive the economy go under. If they do bail out the big 3, it needs to be HEAVILY regulated and that money needs to be paid back to the people quickly.

December 9, 2008 at 11:41 am |
  3. Annie Kate

OJ's downfall was his own ego and pride – hubris was what the Greeks termed it – extreme ego and pride which leads to negative consequences. My grandmother had a different spin on it – the higher you build yourself up the further you have to fall. Either one will work with this one.

I don't think Gore will join Obama's administration. He likes his day job too much and feels like he can accomplish more out of government than in it.

If 79 percent think Obama is doing well with the transition what percentage thinks Bush is doing as well? That ought to be an interesting number.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

December 9, 2008 at 11:25 am |
  4. Heather,ca

I without question think its Karma. When a person gets away with double murder their thinking is they can do no wrong and therefore can do anything. Of course he didnt realize he was being taped and that a hotel is private property and you just cant walk in with guns. There are after all other people in the hotel. Of course I say if this is how he treats friends I hate to think how he treats enemies. But, wait! We do. He murders them! Well he took a big gamble in Vegas and lost. And I guess what happens in Vegas keeps Simpson in Vegas for 9 years. I think it will be the best use of tax money spent in Nevada in a long time.

December 9, 2008 at 11:08 am |
  5. Cam

OJ spending time in jail is only fate or destiny. Karma is something totally different.

December 9, 2008 at 10:15 am |
  6. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

What goes around comes around for O.J. OIt's time to do do the time for the crime .I aslo agree with the bailout the automakers need this money to keep jobs going and the industry from dissloving completley .
    Thanks for the buzz
    The news czar Anderson Cooper !
    ha ! that's cool!
    Michelle D.

December 9, 2008 at 10:07 am |
  7. Cindy

Well I have always said that you should live your life the right way and treat others how you expect to be treated if not karma will get you! You can't live like the devil and expect nothing to happen to you. It always catches up to you and when it does it gets you good! OJ has found that out big time it seems!

I have been saying all along that I think that when we give bailouts to anyone that there should be strict guidelines and that someone should be watching over it. So I am OK with the automakers bailout. They need to make all of the bailout companies walk the chalk line!

Cindy...Ga.